Chapter 16: Company MT

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Son Naeun chose vegetable salad and a cucumber sandwich, Eunhye could not help but look at her own full tray. Seolleongtang was on the menu and it was one of her favorites and she could not pass on them. Ever since Wonwoo mentioned having dated Nayoung before, she had been stepping on her weighing scale more often. Thinking twice about her selection, she stopped putting sausages on her plate.

Eunhye thought it was best that she stuck with her female schoolmates after hearing what Mark said about her having the unnatural number of male friends around her. Besides, she and Chanyeol still were not on speaking terms and every time they were in the same room, they would fight.

She knew Naeun loved working out, so she asked her for some advice. Plus, it was the only topic she knew the younger girl would find interesting.

"You don't really need much work," Naeun said after studying her. "You might want to start with small exercises first before hitting the actual gym. Maybe jog in the mornings a couple of weeks before. That way, you won't shock your body if you started heavy workouts."

Routine was not really her greatest suit. Nor mornings.

"But Eonni," Hyeri said. Unlike Eunhye, she did not have the problem of a boyfriend's ex girlfriend with top model-like figure, so she was stuffing herself with the pork cutlets. "Are you really dating Jeon Wonwoo?"

"Uh, yeah. Since the spring semester."

The younger girl shrugged. "I guess I was just used to seeing you around with the guys, it's a bit harder to tell the difference."

"Nah, that's just because she used to date Mark-sunbae," Naeun suggested as an explanation. "He's like, the most quiet person I have ever met."

"Wonwoo's quiet, too," Hyeri argued. 

Eunhye shook her head. "Sometimes, I can't get him to shut up." They all laughed at that and she thought hanging out with girls was not so bad after all.

All the talks about make up, clothes and hair, she would have to get used to, though.


***'


"It's not like I'm having cold feet," Jieun was saying. "But I'm just suddenly having these thoughts like, what if we're going too fast?"

Eunhye only caught half of what her friend was talking about but she could guess what it was. She called Jieun one day to hang out after her class and now they were at a toast place, having toast sandwiches that the bride was not touching for fear she would not fit her wedding gown.

"Well, you have up to the wedding day to decide anyway. No rush." She bit on her second Garlic Bacon Cheese sandwich. She was hungry "And please eat. You're making me feel like such a pig."

"You seem to be stress eating," Jieun noticed. "Is something wrong?"

"No, I just needed someone to chill out with," she assured her. And because her lunch was not enough that day. She did not have to tell her that she was trying to start hanging out with people the same gender as her so she could get used to it and make Wonwoo worry less. So there they were.

"Did you get in a fight with Wonwoo?"

"No," she answered quickly. "Not with him."

"Who did you get into a fight with?"

She sighed. "Yeol." That was true but it was not really what was bothering her at the moment. "But that'll pass too. He'll get over it."

Jieun leaned back on her chair. "So you finally found a guy who wouldn't bite your head off because of your guy friends. I'm so happy for you, Eonni."

Yeah, right. She knew Wonwoo was trying to, but if she was not going to cooperate with him, it would just crash and burn like every other relationship she had. She did not want that. Eunhye would hate for a time to come when she would have to choose between friends and Wonwoo, because she was sure this time, she was going to pick her boyfriend.

"It seems like I'm the problem, though," Eunhye started. This was Jieun she was talking to, so she decided to tell her about what she and Mark talked about. Even as she said it, the words once again made sense to her.

"Well, that came from a deep place," she said when Eunhye finished. "But you don't seem to have that problem with Wonwoo."

"He avoids conflict, so he just keeps it in. Who knows what he's actually thinking?"

Jieun gaped at her. "Is he your clone?"

"Get out."

Her friend laughed. "Well, I run away from confrontations, too, so I can't judge you."

"We did get into an argument last time, though," she started. "A small one. I kind of hopped into a motorcycle of this kid I know--a patient of Yunho's--because I was late for a test. Wonwoo saw us and I had to explain it to him."

"Ooohhh, our Wonwoo being jealous? I bet it's a good look on him."

"He was scary!" She could still picture him with his hand on his hips. "He beat around the bush, went on about the dangers of riding a speeding motorcycle, but his face told me it wasn't just that he was mad about. As it turned out, he knew that kid." She then realized who she was talking to. "He works at Seungheon-oppa's cafe."

"Which one?!"

"Yibo."

"Oh yeah," Jieun nodded as if suddenly she was saying made sense. "I know him. I remember his BIKE. And he's cute. No wonder Wonwoo was mad."

"And then all of a sudden, Wonwoo told me about an ex girlfriend he had, even though I specifically told him not to say anything about his past relationships."

Her soon to be married friend raised an eyebrow at her. She nodded understandingly. "So he dated before, okay. He was not bad-looking as a kid. But why did you not want him to tell you about that? He knows all your exes. Even works for one."

It still weirded Eunhye out how their connections to each other were, including Jieun and Seungheon, but it was even more so that they could casually talk about it like this.

"I stalk all of my best friends girlfriends," she reminded Jieun. "And my exes' exes. It never ended well for me, and for once I wanted to change that."

Jieun finally took a bite out of her sandwich and her eyes widened at how good it was. "I know because I do that, too. But if Seon-oppa told me about you, I don't know what would've happened."

"Eyy. That was nothing but a mislabeled friendship."

"So what about Wonwoo's past relationship?"

Eunhye took a sip of the Zero-sugar coke before answering. "Dunno. I didn't ask. I already know the girl before he told me that. We met at that birthday get-away thing with his roommates. When we--"

"Eunhye-eonni?"

Speaking of that ex-girlfriend, Eunhye stiffened when she recognized Im Nayoung from a different table. She also recognized Jeonghan's girlfriend among her friends, but this girl did not show her any sign of recognition at all. Eunhye did not care enough to be offended by that. She was too busy flashing Nayoung a forced smile.

"Who?" Jieun mouthed when she noticed Eunhye's tension. The latter was smiling but her clenched fist under the table might as well have been a dirty finger.

"It was that ex I was telling you about," Eunhye answered in her best attempt at ventriloquism. She waved. "Oh, Nayoung-ah."

The tall young beautiful girl walked to their table and gave her a hug she did not have a choice but to return.

"Our class wanted to meet together here, some of our friends are leaving for service. They wanted to start here."

That explained their numbers.

"This is Nayoung," Eunhye introduced her to Jieun. "She's Wonwoo's sunbae from high school. This is Jieun, a friend from college."

"Hi," Jieun smiled brightly.

"Hello, Jieun-ssi." After greeting Jieun, Nayoung turned to her again. "Eonni, you said we'll hang out with Minkyeung but you weren't reading the chatroom."

"Ah, I've been so busy with school papers the last two weeks, sorry," Eunhye said, which was true. Although that was not the reason she had been ignoring that chatroom. She could always find something to do other than hang out with her. "And will be until the end of the semester, most likely. Rushing term papers so I could juggle the TA jobs and apply for apprenticeship soon."

"Well, you'll need a break somehow, and we'll be happy to help you destress."

"Sure, sure. I'll let you know as soon as I'm free."

"Nayoung-ah!" Sowon called from their table.

"I gotta go," Nayoung apologized. "Her highness awaits."

Eunhye snorted and waved her off. "Go, before she yells again. Nice seeing you."

Jieun waited for Nayoung to be out of earshot, pretending to check something on her phone, before she opened .

"Oh my God, Eonni," she said in a low voice. "She's so tall. And slim. Do you think I could get my waist down to that size?"

"Seungheon-oppa hates skinny girls," Eunhye reminded her. "Why do you think he suddenly took a liking to baking cakes?" She lowered her voice. "It's to make you fatter."

"But hey, now I see why you're troubled with the ex thing," Jieun said getting back to the topic, which Eunhye was actually trying to steer to a different one and failed. "I mean look at her."

She did not need to in order to get what Jieun meant. Eunhye already knew what Im Nayoung looked like and how bright her innocent smile was like every time she closed her eyes at night.

"Why do you think they broke up?"

Eunhye shrugged. "I don't even plan to ask. He actually just mentioned it so he could get back at me for riding Yibo's bike."

"A little revenge? A tiny fact slap that will bother you forever just like how he would always picture you getting of Yibo's bike. And that BIKE, it's one of those you see in Tom Cruise movies. So y. Yibo's not bad looking, too. I hear he's working three or four jobs. That takes passion."

"I'll tell Seungheon-oppa you said that."

"I'll tell him myself," Jieun retorted with a smirk. "But seriously, Eonni. What are you going to do about that?" She gestured her chin towards Nayoung's direction.

"What's there to do?" she asked. "Wonwoo is actually hostile towards her. I brought her to the cafe, and he looked like Nayoung killed his pet cat or something."

"Maybe it was a third party," Jieun suggested. "If she's as pretty as that when in high school, guys and probably even some girls would surely be after her. Or after Wonwoo?"

"And she's even nice, which is the whole package," Eunhye grumbled. "Makes hating her even harder."


***'


Wonwoo still had a few minutes before his shift so he sent Eunhye a message. He wished she would surprise him again today with one of those lunch boxes, but she had been busy lately, so he would just be happy probably if she just came and showed her face. Besides occassionally seeing him at school, they had not really spent that much time together.

He texted her to ask if she was coming that day so he could plan what to do with his breaks. She replied quickly, like she did nowadays.

Mine: can't
Mine: im on a date rn
Wonwoo: ?

Eunhye sent him a photo of two servings of Egg Drop sandwiches. She had her fingers poised in a heart, and she made sure the person sitting in front of her was visible, although just the hands and clothes. Wonwoo recognized the diamond ring Jieun had, courtesy of his boss.

Wonwoo: tell her u'r already taken
Mine: i'll be going home after this
Mine: sleeping early
Mine: i have to go to a conference at 8am tomorrow

She sent another photo, this time taking one with Jieun.

Mine: pick one

Wonwoo cropped the photo so that only Eunhye was showing and sent it back to her.

Mine: correct answer.

He chuckled at her text and sent her a message that he would be starting his shift soon. Wonwoo placed his phone in his backpack, which he hid inside the locker.

"Hyung."

Wonwoo mentally counted to three before turning to Yibo. "Yeah?"

Yibo was taken aback by the expression on his face, but recovered quickly and handed him a box of what looked like a wireless mouse. "Can you give this to Noona?"

He stared

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter