Chapter 14: Skin test

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I knew you'd be here." Mark's voice broke the peace and quiet Eunhye was having on the rooftop of the Arts building.

To his defense, he just sat on the bench closest to her, maintaining the space she had to herself while she sat there on the edge of the railing, from which she now jumped off. She sat on the ground with her back to the concrete, facing him. She was sure he was going to ask her questions about everything Park Chanyeol had spilled during the heat of his anger.

He handed her a bottled cucumber juice of her favorite brand.

"Thanks," she muttered.

They stayed silent for a long time just like they did back when they were dating. She used to joke that his tongue was glued to the roof of his mouth because he never opened a conversation with her and would answer her questions with the shortest sentences.

"Uh, Chanyeol broke the table."

"Wow." Eunhye drank from the bottle, chuckling. "So macho," she commented with full sarcasm.

"I had no idea he was that involved in your life."

She scoffed. "We were stuck together because of our parents since we were babies. When we were kids, we used to believe we were actually twins from a remote village somewhere in Gangwon that were adopted by two different families who were too sad to separate us. Even our birthdays were only a few days apart. Of course, I was the older twin."

It was his turn to laugh. "That's some theory." And then he sighed. "So how come I didn't know any of the things he talked about?"

She thought long and hard about it. "I wanted to save you from the horror of it." It was an excuse, she knew. "With you, I could be who I wanted to be instead of who I really was. And you have the perfect family that I can never have, so you wouldn't understand."

"I would have listened. And my family welcomed you."

Eunhye fought the tears threatening to fall from her eyes by blinking them away. "For the past seven years of my life, I had to look into my friends' eyes. Friends who knew what happened and had seen all the horrible things I had done when I was in that really bad place. I always have this thought in the back of my head that they're only treating me well because they think I'm pathetic, or because they're scared I might go over the cliff again. With you, I didn't feel so broken or pitied."

"When you come here," Mark hesitated, gesturing to the rooftop and the low railing. "I mean you always come here when you're trying to escape from things. Do you think about doing it again?"

She had to wipe a tear. "I come here to remind myself never to do it again: never to let anyone go through what I did to them that time. Other times, I just like the wind through my hair and that it's quiet here."

"And Professor Lee...?"

"It's all in the past." She did not want to relive the memory again. Not when she already decided to leave it all behind her. "It was a mistake. Even if ever I wasn't drugged or forced, it was still a crime because I was just a kid."

"Is that why it was so hard for you to... when we tried to..."

She nodded, feeling sorry about it even now. Intimacy was one of their major problem when they were together and it took them a year to finally get to that next step. Even that was a failure.

"And I thought you just couldn't give yourself fully to me. , I'm an ."

"It wasn't your fault," she assured him. "For what it's worth, I was actually trying to get over my fear of it. You didn't know."

"But Wonwoo knows. That's why he tried to drop his subject during the spring semester."

"Just the thing up until losing the baby," Eunhye answered. "Not the drowning myself part. And I want it to stay that way for as long as I could. The last thing I want is for him to be scared all the time about something he doesn't need to worry about."

"And he got you through it."

Eunhye's face flushed. Why was she talking about her current life with her ex boyfriend. "I broke all of my rules for him. Yeah."

"I guess I won't ever beat that kid, huh?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "You're not still hung up on me, right?"

Mark shrugged. "Maybe a little. But, whatever. You have too many men in your life right now. You don't need me."

"Well, it looks like some of them are going to cut ties with me, so..."

"I'm sorry I tried to go between you and your friends. I didn't really know what they meant to you. When you said they were your family, I didn't understand it."

Eunhye smiled to herself while she took more drinks before responding. "You're right. You won't ever beat Wonwoo. He worked on getting THEIR favor first before coming to me."

"Well, isn't he smart?!"


***'


"Are you sure you're okay with going alone?"

Eunhye did not need to see Wonwoo to know his face was written with worry. "I'm going to a hospital where my BROTHER works. And no, you don't need to come visit. My skin will be full of itches so I'll be very ugly and irritated. I'll just take it out on you."

"I'm fine with you taking it out on me."

"I'm not you," she argued. "I don't like taking my anger out on other people."

"Ya."

"See?" Eunhye laughed when she made her point. "It'll just be overnight. I'll see you at school tomorrow."

Wonwoo had classes until Monday afternoon so she went to the hospital alone. She was scheduled for the multiple skin tests for more accuracy about her allergies because her brother insisted on it. It meant she had to stay one night over the hospital for observation. To be honest, she was a bit worried and scared about all of it, but she did not want to burden anyone, let alone Wonwoo. She and Chanyeol were still not on speaking terms and her roommates had their own schedules she did not dare disrupt.

"Can I call you later tonight, though?" Wonwoo asked.

"Of course. I'd like that."

"Okay then, take care."

She pocketed her phone and took a deep breath before entering the hospital. Thankfully, she did not have to go through the Emergency department this time and went straight to the admission desk. After a few minutes she was back to a private room.

"You really don't want the VIP ward?"

She gave her brother an annoyed look. "Yes, I'm sure. I actually wanted to be in the 6-person room. Why am I here alone?"

"Where's your guardian?"

"I told him not to come." Eunhye expertly put the hospital gown over her shirt so she could change without having to go to the bathroom. "I'm an adult. I don't need a chaperone to get tested for allergy. Don't you ever get off duty?"

"Our head cardiosurgeon was admitted for an herniated disk," Yunho said with a sigh. "I need to be in surgery in thirty minutes."

"Then go. I don't want you here." She smiled to the nurse behind her brother. "Nurse Kim will take care of me, won't you, Nurse Kim?"

"Of course. You should go, Dr. Jung."

She came equipped with her laptop and her Jane Eyre book so she could keep herself occupied while she was there. She finally got the final schedule about her TA classes as well as her own. Most of them were just for research that did not require much classroom meetings, which meant that if not for her TA jobs, she would not have to go to school. To her, she still made the best decision. Lee Junki was now just fading into the background. A means to an end.

There was a knock on the door and it opened.

"Well, if it isn't my savior."

"Delivery from Dr. Jung," Cha Eunwoo said, lifting a plastic bag of vegetarian food.

"Is that falafel?" she asked, face lighting up. "I was starving."

"Yes, and some hypoallergenic tofu dishes." He placed it on the bed's makeshift table. "He said I have to stay and make sure you eat these and nothing else. In return, I get to watch an open heart surgery two days from now."

Eunwoo kept her company and ate with her. He was not even an intern yet, but he's trying to learn as much hands on experiences he could get, very much like her brother.

Her phone rang and saw that Wonwoo was requesting a video call. Hurriedly, she accepted it. "I'm already eating. I know what you're going to ask."

"Good. Because I didn't yet. I'll eat when I get home." She could tell he was in the breakroom by the background.

"Ya."

"It's okay. I had a roll of kimbap before I came in anyway."

"Is that Wonwoo-hyung?" Eunwoo asked with a mouth full of spicy bulgogi. Unlike her, he did not need to eat hypoallergenic foods. When she nodded, he yelled towards her phone. "Hi, hyung!"

"Who was that?" Wonwoo asked from the other line. It was a question she already anticipated and she could not hide her smirk.

The kid in question went over to stand beside Eunhye so he could be seen on the frame. He waved enthusiastically. "Hyung, if you will come here, can you bring coffee?"

"Why the hell are you there?" Wonwoo bit his lower lip as if scolding him.

"Earning brownie points so I'll be allowed to oversee the open heart surgery for a 4 month old baby," Eunwoo said. "The other med students are not here until tomorrow so I'm supposed to be getting an exclusive."

Eunhye gave him a sideway glance, feeling used.

"And the room has it's own WiFi," he added with a smile.

She flicked his ear. "That's my portable router, not the hospital's." She pointed to the couch. "Go back there, so I can talk to him."

"Yeah, Eunwoo. Get lost," Wonwoo said from the phone. As soon as they got rid of the freeloader, Eunhye switched the audio to her earphones. "When did you two become so close?"

"I don't even know," she admitted, picking on the bean sprouts side dish. "I thought he was going to leave after bringing the food. How's your day?"

He told her it was a bit busy earlier but now that their queue died down, he took a break immediately so he could call her. While they talked, she wished he was there with her but did not mention it in case she came out too needy or clingy. Also, because the thought of how much she had been attached to Wonwoo was scaring her again.

"I'll call you again as soon as I get off," he promised and she felt bad that his fifteen minutes was up. "I know you don't want me to come, so I won't push it."

"Thanks," Eunhye said with a forced smile. "Do well for the rest of your shift."

Wonwoo wiggled his eyebrows. "Of course. Rest well, too."

When the call ended, she felt empty. Maybe she overreacted when she told him she did not want him to come. Who was going to make her feel better as soon as the itchiness of the test comes in?

"So Wonwoo-hyung is the kind of boyfriend who checks in on you."

She almost forgot the WiFi-rider on the sofa until Eunwoo spoke again.

"I don't remember him ever having a girlfriend since I met him," Eunwoo volunteered. He locked his phone screen and faced her. "Maybe there was one, but it wasn't serious. I mean, they kind of never hang out much and they brook up soon after--"

Her hand immediately shot up to stop him from what he was about to say. "Don't go into further details. I'm not interested."

"Eyy," he teased. "I bet you're curious."

"Yes, but for my sanity's sake and for the other girl's welfare, let's not."

Eunwoo laughed loudly at that, not knowing she was actually serious. Whenever she learned about her past boyfriends' love history, it never ended well. She would just dive into a pit of insecurities that always made her the bad person. Knowing the identity of Wonwoo's first love had been hard enough to wrap her head around, let alone a girl he actually dated. It was probably unfair since he knew all about her past, but she thought she was better off not knowing his. For the good of everybody. She, herself, did not know the lengths she could go to if she ever went crazy.

"Ooh. So Noona, you're the jealous type."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter