Chapter 5: Tutor, Friend

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you good?" Eunhye asked as soon as she saw Jieun. Her friend nodded. "Did you talk to Zico?"

"He texted me to say he was sorry, but that was it."

Eunhye pursed her lips, thinking about what to say. She could not think of any advice to give, especially since she did not want to push her own opinions at anyone. She was better at just empathizing and being there for them instead of trying to fix things.

"Do you want to see him, though?" she asked carefully.

She, too, wanted this thing to end, even though she was sad that the two people she loved were having a hard time, and that it was possible that their friendship could never be mended. But it was not her place to make any decisions for any of them, or influence it.

"I actually do," Jieun said with a sigh. "We're friends, after all. All this time, that was just what we were despite the unspoken feelings and stuff."

"Unspoken on his part, yeah," she agreed. "I always told him he should be honest with his feelings for you but he never listened."

"But he was in love with you," Jieun suddenly dropped a bomb. "I take it you talked it out and you turned him down?"

Eunhye sighed. "Yeah, with a punch in the face."

"Eonni!"

She laughed. "He deserved it, believe me. But that was then, and it was gone when you came into the picture. And he said he pretty much gave up when I dated Mark."

"I knew it," Jieun thought out loud. "So you never had any feelings for him?" Eunhye shook her head rather vigorously. "I was so scared to tell you about it because I thought you might like him back."

"With how crazy I was for Mark, back then? No." Talking to Jieun made her realize how much time had passed, and how much her feelings had changed, as well as how she looked at things. "And ever since we were kids, he was a brother to me. You know how I am with my friends, babe."

"Yeah, but it was possible. I mean, I loved him, what would stop you from doing the same thing?"

"Uh, years of memories of all his bad records?" she suggested. "But you said, 'loved', and that's past tense."

Jieun nodded. "I probably still do, but not enough to stop my own wedding, Eonni. I finally found someone who loves me as much as I love him, I don't think it's worth it."

Eunhye crossed her arms in front of her, proud of her friend coming to terms with her situation. It was not different from what she went through when she had to let go of Mark.

"Wow, who are you and what did you do to my friend?" she said with a proud look on her face. "Where was that Lee Jieun who was head over heels for Woo Zico? Who visited him every month during his service? --I think I only visited like once or twice!"

"She grew up," the new Lee Jieun replied. "Well, not really since right after you guys left the other night, I got myself drunk. If not for an old student of mine back when I was tutoring, I would not get home. I think I also ended up telling him everything about Zico, and he talked me into coming into a conclusion about all this. When I woke up in the morning, I gave thought about the questions he made me think about, and realized I do love my fiance and I want to marry him."

"Why do kids these days grow up quickly?" Eunhye thought out loud. "Back then I just played video games. All Mark and I did was play video games instead of going out on dates."

"I feel sorry for the kid, though." Jieun fell quiet until Eunhye had to ask her why that was. "I was drunk so I fell asleep and he had to drive my car to my place, then carried me on his back and bought me hangover medicine."

"Ahw, that's sweet." Eunhye eyed Jieun's almost finished chocolate cake and wondered if she should get a cheesecake so she'd have an excuse to go to Wonwoo. "That reminds me of that high school student you said confessed to you?"

Jieun nodded in agreement. "It was him, actually. And he had changed a lot, I almost didn't recognize him."

"I knew it! Haha."

"But, Eonni. What happened to you and Mark?"

She waved her hand dismissively, refusing to answer and took a sip of her coffee. Her eyes wandered to the counter where her boyfriend would be, but found only Minkyung behind the cash register.

"Did he cheat on you?"

Eunhye choked on her coffee. "Who told you that?"

"No one," Jieun said, laughing but handing her a tissue to wipe her lips with. "I just guessed. Why else would you break up with him? Or did he run away from you after you slept with him like that guy you dated before him? The one you chased after that you had to quit tutoring and apply for the exchange program?"

She felt her face heat up and she thanked Wonwoo for not being behind the counter to see that, or he would ask her later about it. It was funny that Jieun would mention that when they were at the coffee shop Seungheon owned. And she was that guy she was talking about.

"Are you that bad in bed, Eonni?" Jieun teased, cocking her head to the side and looking her up from head to toe with a cluck of her tongue. "Is that why you didn't want to sleep with your boyfriends?"

"Shut up. Are you that good, that your boyfriend would want to marry you?"

"Not that I would know," she answered, her laughter dying down and being replaced with a frown. "Seon-oppa promised not to touch me until the wedding night. He wouldn't even sleep over despite the fact that I got my own apartment recently."

"Don't look so disappointed," Eunhye told Jieun. "That means he's serious about it. Men like that are rare, honestly."

"I know. I actually kind of get what you meant back in college about waiting."

In her peripheral vision, she saw Wonwoo back at the bar and her lips curled up in a smile.

" 'Back then' is the keyword," she said quietly, leaning closer to Jieun so she could hear what she was going to say. "Did you know I had a one night stand?"

Jieun squealed in shock, but processed her words again in her head. "Eyy. You? No way."

Eunhye shrugged. "Well, I did end up dating him, so that probably doesn't count. That should also answer your question about Mark. I thought he cheated on me, so I tried to forget him. When I found out he was innocent, it was too late because I was already in love with someone else."

Jieun's hand covered as she expressed her surprise. "Oh my god. You're serious? When did this happen? Is this in Japan when you were away?"

Eunhye shook her head, wondering why most of her friends thought that. She gestured with a finger for Jieun to come closer so she could whisper something to her. "See that guy behind the espresso machine?"

"Uhuh?" Jieun said with eyebrows creased.

"That's him. That's why I wanted to meet here as an excuse to spy on him while he's working."

"WONWOO?!"

It looked like he heard them because his head turned towards their direction with a blank look on his face.

"You know him?" Eunhye asked, surprised.

Jieun opened as if to say something, then closed it again. "Kind of." She reached for her coffee and took a huge sip, then took three fork slices of the cake, obviously to stop herself from talking.

Eunhye narrowed her eyes at her friend, but she saw Wonwoo mouthing his question at her.

"Need anything?" he asked.

"Cheesecake," she mouthed in reply, along with one finger to tell him she wanted just one slice. "And come over."

Jieun stopped talking altogether, using her absurd excuse of a cake.

"Should I order another cake for you?" Eunhye asked rhetorically. "Who starved you? Will you fit into your wedding dress after today?"

"Oh, God, thanks for reminding me about that," Jieun said, placing her fork down while wiping her lips with a tissue. "Do you have time this Thursday? I need to go for the final fitting of my dress, but Oppa's not available."

It was an obvious trick to change the subject, but the thought of seeing Jieun's wedding dress before anyone else was worth it. It was also a good excuse for her to not go to Sunmi's dance practice session. After spending time playing with Yibo (now even in LoL and PUBG), she felt he was being a little too friendly around her and she did not want to lead him on. It was different when they were playing where all their communications are just through chat and voicechat, than when they're meeting in person.

"Of course! Tell me the time and place, I'll be there."


****'


"Here's your cheesecake." Wonwoo went to their table with Eunhye's order and held his hand out for her payment.

"You didn't put it on your tab?" she asked, pouting. The way she showed affection when they were around friends used to amuse Wonwoo, but he was kind of feeling uneasy about it now. Was she trying to be extra cute?

"I don't own this cafe," he retorted and emphasized his empty hand. "Pay up."

"Jieun-a, do you want anything?" Eunhye asked her friend, who was playing with her cake. She handed Wonwoo her card.

"I'm good," Jieun answered, briefly shaking her head at her and Wonwoo, then attacked her cake again.

"Wonwoo-ya," Eunhye began, planning her words carefully. "Do you know my friend, Lee Jieun?"

Wonwoo looked at her, studying her face before he glanced at Jieun, who slightly shook her head at him with a panicked look, then back at Eunhye. "Yeah. She used to tutor me English when I was in high school."

In the corner of his eye, he saw Jieun's shoulders fall in disappointment. He guessed she expected Wonwoo to take hint and deny it, but he did not really want to lie about it now and regret it in the future. He and Eunhye just made up and he did not want to do anything that would mess that up just yet.

"Ehh," Eunhye exclaimed, looking genuinely surprised. "My world is getting smaller and smaller ever since I met him. That's perfect then. Remember when I asked you if I could bring a plus one?"

"Yeah?"

"I was thinking about bringing him with me," she explained, then turned to Wonwoo. "Unless, you were invited, too?"

Wonwoo shook his head. "She didn't invite me."

"We just met again recently," Jieun explained. "Probably twice since I came back to Korea. I didn't really consider him for the seats. But sure, you can come, too."

He just smiled back at her and turned to Eunhye. He pointed to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter