Chapter 23: First Times

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Wonwoo got home, he found Mingyu vacuuming the living room floor. Suddenly he was reminded of who he met earlier that day and his irration flared back up. He kind of felt bad that he was mad at his friend for something that was not his fault, but he let his feelings be. When Mingyu asked if Wonwoo wanted to add some of his shirts to his pile of laundry before he put it in the wash, he ignored him and went straight to their room to change into comfortable clothes.

He had an assignment due tomorrow on his least favorite professor's class and he did not feel like doing it. However, since it was actually Eunhye who would be checking it, he worked on it anyway. 

As Wonwoo checked and double checked his grammar on the essays, the sounds of Mingyu around the house kept bothering him so he put on some music. That made him forget his day a little until he was quickly done with all his schoolwork and there was nothing else to think about. All the more so, when he opened his email and found a digital invitation for a high school reunion for a few batches including his. The photos that was supposed to give nostalgic feels included one of the basket ball court and things came to him in a flash. In a non-nostalgic way.

When he entered his first year in high school, they were required to join at least one activity club. And because he did not know anyone except for those sunbaes that went to the same middle school as him, he joined their basketball club. Im Nayoung, a second year, was the captain of the female basketball team, with whom their team always hang out with. That was where he first met her.

Mingyu was the captain of their middle school's basketball team and there were times they would meet up to shoot hoops. Since he was aiming for the samee high school, he soon got close with the others faster than Wonwoo ever could.

On the last day of that school year, Wonwoo asked Im Nayoung out. She agreed so they started dating. At first, it was awkward since Wonwoo did not know what to do, especially whenever she got mad every time he forgot their date because he spent too long in the computer shop playing video games. He gamed less, played more basketball, even dragged Mingyu with him so the three of them could play together. Her family's house was close to their dormitory so it was almost every day.

But then school started again, and Nayoung was on her final year so her schedule was packed with studying. She planned to take Physical Education as her major though, so whenever she had time, she still played with them.

There was that one particular day that her parents were out for a 2 days 1 night stay somewhere in Jeju, she invited him over. That was the very first time Wonwoo had been to a girl's room, let alone his girlfriend's room. While she showered first (what else were they going to do when two hormonal teenagers were home alone), he got to look around. There were trophies and medals that she got since elementary--she had always been athletic--but the most recent photos took up most of her wall. There was a collage of their high school basket ball club, her friends, and even the three of them, him, Nayoung and Mingyu, scattered everywhere. There was even one totally unrelated to basketball, when the two of them surprised Mingyu with a basketball themed cake on his birthday last spring. A smudge of ice cream covered half of Wonwoo's face and he remembered smiling when he saw that picture.

That should have warned him, though. Instead, he was too focused on his raging hormones, too elated about being her first, and she his, to remember all the weird clues that bothered him during their relationship. Even that stupid wall of photos that he brushed away as just her usual addiction to basketball. None of the hints made sense to Wonwoo until he was on the sheets with her and she blurted out a name as she finished under him. Of all people, it had to be his bestfriend.

It felt like a truck load of dry ice was poured on him when he heard that and he pulled away immediately, suddenly snapping out of the lust haze. She looked up to him, confused.

"Did you just call me Mingyu?"

"Huh? Wh-- No. I..."

He started picking up his clothes from the floor. His pants had gone under her bed, stuck on something that he had to tug it forcefully and a box of her scrapbooks spilled open. There was a couple of photos there of Mingyu, the one Wonwoo took in commeration of his friend getting into the same high school as him and wearing the same uniform.

"Wonwoo, wait. It's not like that."

Wonwoo got dressed as quickly as he could, not caring that his shirt was inside and out. He ran out of that house and went straight to their dorm, in search of his supposed best friend. He had found Mingyu in the laundry room.

"Hyung, I washed your uniform as well by mistake, next time you wash m--" He did not see Wonwoo's fist coming and had no way to block it. "What the hell?"

He grabbed his friend's collar and aimed another punch but Mingyu was bigger than him, and stronger, so it was not difficult to show Wonwoo away. Seungcheol ran to the laundry room as soon as he heard them, and stepped in between.

"Use your words, Wonwoo," the eldest warned, getting ready in case Wonwoo started throwing hands again.

"Were you seeing Nayoung behind my back?" Wonwoo demanded, going back for Mingyu's collar but failing because Seungcheol stopped him. "Did you sleep with her?"

Mingyu pushed him away a second time. "What are you talking about? She's YOUR girlfriend, why would I do that?"

"You dirty liar. If you weren't, then why would she..." Wonwoo found out that he could not even say the words out loud. He felt betrayed, so emasculated, and so angry that he kicked the nearest object he could find and broke the washing machine.

"Hyung, I would never do that to you. I don't even see Noona that way. Where the hell did you get that notion?"

He had to get out of there so he ran, ignoring Seungcheol and Minhyun going after him, asking him to explain himself. His feet unconsciously brought him to the basketball court right across from their dorms but when he realized where he was he went the other way.

Wonwoo stopped seeing Nayoung, ignoring all her attempts to reconcile. One day she left him a lengthy text message explaining that Mingyu was not seeing her, that she had liked Mingyu since the first time she saw him play, and that at first she agreed to go out with him so she had excuses to see Mingyu even if she was no longer in the team, but her feelings grew more for Wonwoo now.

He deleted the message, blocked her number and dropped out of the club. He was in his second year, so he was no longer required to join anymore. It was more fun playing video games anyway.

Proven innocent, Wonwoo stayed friends with Mingyu. They may have grown closer together because of that. He realized now that it was his pride that was hurt more instead of his feelings. Dating girls stopped becoming an interest for him after that, even after meeting his first love, Lee Jieun. Now that he thought about it, he probably confessed to her, knowing she was likely to refuse him anyway so he still would not need to commit.

Back to the present, Mingyu upended the laundry basket in the room he and Wonwoo shared. He sorted them according to their color before throwing them in the wash.

"I'll wash the black ones first," he singsonged like an old man. He turned to Wonwoo who was lying on his bed, trying to watch a game of LoL. "Hyung, do you have a lot of black clothes? I can throw them in together with mine."

"I can wash my own clothes."

Mingyu pointed to the small pile of blacks. "It would be a waste of detergent and water to wash just these."

"Then use less."

Figuring out his hyung was not in the mood, Mingyu did not argue further. When he walked out of the room singing about how he was going to wash the black clothes last instead, laundry basket in hand, Wonwoo felt guilty for snapping at him.

Just like that he let Im Nayoung get under his skin again.

Wanting to feel better, he texted Eunhye.

Wonwoo: you asleep?
Wonwoo: probably. It's late already.
Wonwoo: sleep well
Wonwoo: dream of me
Wonwoo: are you really asleep?
Mine: now i'm awake
Wonwoo: go back to sleep
Wonwoo: sorry
Wonwoo: did you go back to sleep?

He watched the status of his last message turn from "Sent" to "Read" for a couple of seconds and then his phone rang.

"What?" Eunhye's voice sounded tired. She really was asleep when he spam texted her.

"Nothing. I just missed you." His back ached a little because of his position on the bed so he adjusted himself, letting out a groan while doing so.

She heard it differently through the phone.

"Jeon Wonwoo. If you're interrupting my sleep just so you can get off, I'm hanging up."

"I wasn't!" It was true but now her words were starting to stir him up. He pushed his dirty thoughts away.

"Where's your hand right now?"

"Holding the phone to my ear."

"The other one?"

"Over the bed's headboard."

Eunhye fell silent on the other line so it was either she was still suspiscious or she fell back to sleep. He ended the call and switched to video. She answered on the first ring. Not asleep, then.

But she was indeed already in bed, and she the light of the mood lamp that he got for her, illuminating her room in a soft purple glow. Wonwoo held his phone a little farther away from him to show his hand, and let it rest over his head to start combing his fingers through his still damp hair. She did not miss a thing.

"You didn't use the hair dryer." It was a statement, not a question. "And you wonder why you always catch cold."

"I did use it, but I got lazy halfway." Wonwoo wished he could fly the four blocks between their apartments so he could sleep next to her. "Sorry I woke you up."

Her face softened as she shook her head. "I like waking up to hearing your voice anyway."

He felt the tension leave his body and wondered why he wasted his time thinking about his past when he had this girl to think about. "Tomorrow's friday," he reminded her. "Wanna hang out at the coffee shop after class?" He meant if she would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter