FINAL

Baby Steps | NoMin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeno had no idea how many times he sighed today. He was upset earlier this morning because Jaemin isn't answering his calls or responding to his texts, despite the fact that in the past, the younger one was always the first to call or text him. He'd been acting like that since yesterday, and he couldn't take it any longer.

 

He isn't stupid, he is aware that Jaemin is avoiding him.

 

Jeno calls him in the hallway, but he just runs faster and avoids him, or he pretends to be talking to his teacher or has something to do or whatever it was. He'll do anything to avoid Jeno, and he'll be lying if he says what Jaemin was doing didn't hurt him at all.

 

He's doing everything he can to approach Jaemin, but he's determined to avoid Jeno.

 

Aside from that, Jeno isn't feeling well today because he has a stomach ache and is dizzy. Maybe it's because he didn't eat breakfast today.

 

His parents were fine with his decision, and they could see it coming because Jeno didn't seem particularly happy that day when he received the email.

 

See? Jaemin has no reason to be worried, but Jeno has the feeling that his boyfriend is still worried, which is why he is ignoring him.

 

What should he do now?

He said he will never get sick of him?

 

Maybe, Jaemin doesn't want him anymore since he realized that he’s not fun to be with? Or he got tired of him because he didn’t go and take the scholarship exam?

 

What the hell. 

 

“You really need to get out of here.” Mark said and started rubbing Jeno on his back while Donghyuck is just holding him just in case.

 

“That’s right Jeno. We'll accompany you to the clinic.”

 

Jeno shook. “I need to talk to Jaemin Hyuck. I can still put up with it.” He whimpered and both males who were holding him frowned, they could feel Jeno’s pain.

 

“We will just inform Jaemin, just go to the clinic and rest.”

 

"It's clear that he's not going."

 

"He'll go, we'll make him go, even if it means slapping him."

 

“Hyuck.” Mark hushed.

 

"No, please don't hurt my Jaemin." Jeno casts a scowl.

 

“I won’t. I’m just kidding, why are you so serious y’all. It’s an expression.” He rolled his eyes. “Now, go to the clinic before you pass out here or something. Mel, go with Jeno. I will look for his Jaemin.”

 

Mark didn't bother waiting for Jeno to respond; instead, he gently dragged him out of the hall.  It’s better for him to rest  for the time being, he can always practice later if he feels better.

 

Jeno and Mark had already left the place when Jaemin showed up with Renjun and Yangyang. Donghyuck noticed him right away and approached Jaemin with a questioning look.

 

"Now, what, Na Jaemin? What do you want?  Is this your real intention? You're doing this to my best friend after you've earned his trust?" Donghyuck made a sly smirk as he crossed his arms. "I knew it, I should have stopped him in the first place."

 

“Yah.” Renjun poked the younger.

 

“What?”

 

“Don’t talk reckless, Jaemin has his own reasons.” Renjun defended Jaemin from Donghyuck, it’s obvious that he’s clearly mad too. 

 

“So? I'm not interested in his reason. My best friend was overthinking about this guy, wondering if he's already sick of him after getting what he wants, which caused him to get sick today because he ing overthinks all night. He became scared. You want to date Jeno simply because you're curious, right? You'll be sick of him and ignore him now that you've experienced what it's like to date him." Donghyuck scoffed while brushing his hair. "What a ing shame."

 

"Yah Lee Donghyuck!" Renjun yelled at him to stop him from continuing.

 

“What? If you were in my shoes, I'm sure you'd understand how I'm feeling right now. Jeno being anxious and overthinking is something I truly hate to see."

 

What he said made Jaemin mad, not to Donghyuck but to himself because of how he’s acting right now. He's biting his lower lip to keep his rage at bay because it's not going to help. 

 

Jeno was sick. He had no idea, and just thinking about it makes him upset and worthless.

 

How could he possibly know? He's preoccupied with avoiding him rather than taking care of him.

 

Jeno is overthinking things.

 

Damn it. Jaemin, get yourself together. 

 

Jaemin must go to him. But how exactly? He was avoiding Jeno, and he was probably mad at Jaemin right now, but he can't and won't ignore this. He needs to leave this place as soon as possible.

“That’s not true! I love Jeno and I was avoiding him because I don’t think he deserves me. Wouldn't it be better if I just disappeared from his life because I always bring him bad luck? Didn't you realize? He was on his way to becoming a scholar at that prestigious university, but I ruined it. I felt so awful, and don't you dare to question my feelings for Jeno! Stop acting as if you understand my pain.” Jaemin greeted his teeth out of his anger so Yangyang quickly pats him on his back to calm down. 

 

"Na Jaemin! Stop acting like you're the only one who's been hurt here. What you're doing now is hurting Jeno as well. He thinks you're getting tired of him, and that ing thing scares him the most. That is precisely why he does not readily open his heart to others, including you. But he opened his heart to you and it’s too late, and now you're leaving because you believe everything will be fine if you avoid him or just ing disappear? Hah! If you're going to do that, you shouldn't have messed up his world in the first place!” Donghyuck argued. 

 

Jaemin clenched his fist. If Donghyuck knows that he is one of the reasons why Jeno won’t open his heart to others, he will shut his mouth. 

 

But he did change, didn't he? After knowing Jaemin better, Jeno even hates himself for judging him for being kind to others. 

 

And Donghyuck is right too. Jeno told him clearly that he doesn't let people into his life because he's afraid they'll grow tired of him because he keeps insisting on being boring. Donghyuck was the only person who was always there for him at the time. Then, Jaemin told him not anymore because he’s already here.

 

Jeno has been saying that to Jaemin, but what is he doing right now? 

 

“Stop, please.”

 

Goddamn it. 

 

“Fine. If you’re not going to talk to Jeno, I can just go to him and say that you’re breaking up with him.”

 

“Don’t you dare.” 

 

“You care?”

 

“Can you two stop fighting?!” - Renjun held Donghyuck but he shrugged him away.

 

“No. I'm Jeno's spokesperson, and I'm going to make this prick realize that Jeno's decision not to take the scholarship exam was not his fault. He has the option to go back, you moron. They gave him a chance because it was urgent for him to leave that day, and they considered Jeno, but he chose not to go and stop feeling guilty right now because he is also hurting."

 

Jaemin frowns. “What?” 

 

“There’s no way I’m going to repeat that.” Hyuck rolled his eyes. 

 

Jaemin returned his look at Renjun then to Donghyuck again and held him both on his shoulder. “What did you say? They considered the incident but Jeno didn’t come back?” 

 

“Why don’t you just talk to him? He’s just at the clinic and I’m done talking to you. Tell me if you don’t like him anymore, I will never let you see him even a bit.” 

 

 Oh gosh, he really messed up. 

 

After hearing what Donghyuck said, Jaemin feels like he really needs to go. 

 

He felt stupid once more, and he felt like a bad boyfriend for making Jeno overthink things like that. But what was he supposed to do? He’s blaming himself too at that moment. 

 

Jaemin overthinks things as well, and he has a lot of what ifs in his head.

 

Before Jaemin could even say something to Donghyuck, he already left while calling Shotaro on his way.

 

Then, Renjun tapped him on his shoulder. “He’s just like that because he cares too much for Jeno. He’s his precious best friend.” 

 

“I know.”

 

“You should go Jaem.”

 

Jaemin nodded and tapped Yangyang too before leaving the hall. 

 

Now, he’s worried about Jeno and feels bad that he didn’t know he was sick. He should have stayed at home instead and not gone to school.

 

Jaemin rushed to their school canteen to buy something to eat for Jeno before rushing to the clinic. He saw Mark exit the room and noticed him. He just smiled at Jaemin and pinched his cheek. 

 

“Aigoo, don’t be too hard on yourselves my friends.” He said softly. “They gave Jeno a painkiller already and he’s resting. You’re just in time.” He winks before leaving Jaemin. 

 

Jaemin lets out a deep sigh and opens the door to the room. He made his way quietly to the room for the patients or sick students, whatever the case may be, and placed the food he ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter