Seventeen

Baby Steps | NoMin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeno stood behind Jaemin, smiling as he watched him cheerfully playing with the rabbits and feeding them with food. Jeno's eyes are drawn to this side of Jaemin, and he would be content to sit and watch him for the rest of the day if it meant spending the entire day with him.

As soon as they were finished playing with the rabbits, Jaemin promised himself that he would purchase one after their graduation since he had always wanted to have one. He's also teasing Jeno that it will be their child and they will be the rabbit's parents, which Jeno finds not bad at all.

Until they got to the bus stop, Jeno and Jaemin were just walking around the area. Jeno looked at Jaemin and tightened his grip on the latter’s hand, earning a smile from him.

"I have to tell you something." Jeno said, a little nervous, making Jaemin turn his head on him.

"Tell me anything." The younger then squeezes Jeno on his hand.

"You know Stanford University, right?" He asked softly.

Jaemin smiled and nodded. "Yup. What's with Stanford?"

"I... I got an email from them." He said.

Jeno can sense that Jaemin has stopped walking and turned to face him entirely, meeting the younger's widening eyes. He, too, seems to be taken aback.

"What?"

"They informed me that I am one of the lucky 12 students who have chosen to study there and that they will provide me with a full-time scholarship till I graduate. All I have to do now is take the exam next week, and if I pass, it's all good."

Jeno bit his lower lip after saying that, without taking his gaze away from Jaemin. He was worried about telling him what he needed to know.

"Oh my god.” Jaemin gasps and then later on, his shocked expression turns into a huge smile, cupping Jeno’s cheek and beaming with happiness. “For real? Holy cow! That’s amazing!” Jaemin shrieked while cupping the older on his cheeks and squeezing them at the same time. 

Jeno blinks his eyes. 

“Gosh, I’m so happy and proud of you!”

Jeno blushed because of that. “Well, my cousin helped me so…” 

“You deserve it!” 

"Still, I'm not sure if I'll be able to pass the exam." Jeno rubbed his nape and gave Jaemin a shy glance. After telling him the news, he became suddenly shy about it.

“Oh come on, I know you will do great. You excel in everything!”

“I’m not.”

“You are, my love.” Jaemin ruffles the older’s hair endearingly. “You have no idea how happy I am for you.” He smiled. 

“But..” Jeno sighs, reaching for Jaemin’s hand and caressing it. “Is that okay with you?” 

“Hmm?” Jaemin hummed. "Why not?"

“We won’t be able to see each other aside from facetime and video calls. Is that okay with you?” The older asked softly.

In fact, if you ask Jeno, facetime and chats aren't quite enough for him to see Jaemin on a daily basis, and he won't gonna lie. These days, he hates the fact that he is apart from Jaemin. Possibly because their relationship is still in its early stages and because this is Jeno's first romantic relationship...

And hopefully, it will be the last.

He’s pretty attached to Jaemin.

Jeno received a gentle smile from Jaemin. “We will be fine, I promise.” 

But not for me since I don't want to be separated from you.

----

Jaemin is currently at the mall, where he is hanging out with Mark, Renjun, and Yangyang. They were having a good time and were now playing anything they could find at the moment. It's Yangyang and Renjun's date, but Mark and Jaemin happened to run into them on the way to their destination, and they ended up here.

“It says, world of fun. But why do you seem not having fun? Did something happen?” Mark casually asked Jaemin who was currently playing with the coin pusher. 

Jaemin shook. “Nothing. I’m just thinking.” 

“Is it about Jeno and his scholarship?” The older asked. He stood beside Jaemin and started playing the coin pusher as well. “Tell me your thoughts Jaem.” Mark encouraged him.

Heaving a sigh, Jaemin nodded. “I’m genuinely happy that he was chosen. Just like what Donghyuck said, it's a rare opportunity and not every prestigious university like that will always offer such a kind of scholarship every year. But..”

Mark glanced at him. “But?”

"I didn't think much about it that day when he told me about it.  But when I was about to fall asleep, it just sank in. Jeno will leave after graduation." Jaemin sighed once again and returned his gaze to Mark. "I am confident that he will pass the scholarship exam. I'm proud and happy for him. It's just that it makes me sad at the same time." Jaemin pursed his lips and dropped another coin to the machine and continued playing. 

The fact that Jeno won’t be with him after graduation makes Jaemin really sad. They've only recently gotten together, and they'll have to part ways soon in order to study and become better people

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter