Big Angry Bear

By Your Side

"Good morning!"

 

Sunnee greeted the moment she entered the office. Everyone was quiet and just looked at her, which was very unusual. "What's wrong?" she asked out of curiosity. She walked towards her desk, and saw Win looking at Dylan's office door. "Chief came in at a bad mood." he said worriedly. Sunnee furrowed brows as he looked at him. "Why?" she asked. Win just shrugged his shoulders. 

 

"I think it has something to do with the online magazine's launch." Simon said. "I thought everything's all set for the launch?" she asked. Before anyone could answer her, Evan came out of the office, defeated. "What's wrong?" Xuan Yi asked as she approached him. "Everything's OK. We're just being questioned on some financial aspects." Evan said. "Oh..." Xuan Yi said. "I've been hearing the online magazine might be shut down?" Mei Yun said. 

 

Evan let out a faint smile. "Let's not think much about that rumor. Just work hard on the magazine, OK?" Evan said. Mei Yun nodded his head. He excused himself, and went out of the office. "It would be a shame if the online magazine will not push through... we worked hard on it..." Xuan Yi said with a pout. "Aiya, don't think about it now. Just continue working no it. Let's work hard today, OK?" Sunnee said with a smile. Xuan Yi nodded her head. 

 

--

 

"Lunch time!"

 

Win said as he stretched his arms. He looked at Sunnee who was finishing up some work. "Boss..." he called. "Hmmm..."

"Let's have some braised food today."

"We had braised food for lunch yesterday."

"Fried chicken?"

"We had that the other day."

"Roast pork?"

"Ge is going to cook roast pork for dinner today."

 

Win let out a sigh. "So annoying. I only have this time to have lunch with you, and I can't think of anything." he said. Sunnee looked at his assistant, and let out a smile. "There's this nice Japanese restaurant a block from here. Want to try it out?" she asked. With that, Win's face lightened up. "Of course!" he said. "Then, meet at outside while I finish my work. Don't worry, this won't take a while." Sunnee said. Win let out a pout. "If you're late you're going to treat me..." he said as he stood up. "All right, lunch's on me today." she said in an annoyed tone.

 

As soon as she's done with work she stood up. She was about to go out, she noticed Dylan was still at his office. His forehead is wrinkled as he was reading some documents. She began to worry about him. "Xiao Xiong... I wish I can help you with your problems right now..." she thought. Then, she thought of an idea. "That's it! I think I'll do it for him today." she said to herself before heading out of the office.

 

--

 

"Isn't it your responsibility to send the proposal to the board? What happened?" Dylan asked the sales manager, Amber, angrily. "I'm sorry, Chief... I did but-"

"What?!"

 

His angry voice can be heard all over the office. The poor girl simply lowered her head. "Answer me! What happened?" he shouted again.  "They all declined the proposal." she said. He banged his closed fist on the table, and then took a deep breath. "But, Chief, I wrote the proposal correctly. Evan helped me on it." she asked. "Then why aren't they willing to fund the online magazine now?!" he shouted angrily again. "They... they said we needed more advertisers..." Amber explained. "And it's your responsibility to get advertisers, right?" he asked again. "I'm sorry, Chief, but not everyone is willing to advertise for Pastel..." Amber said.

 

Dylan glared at her. "Get out of my office, now!" he shouted at her.The poor manager could only cry as she walked out of his office. As soon as she's gone, he turned to Evan. "Setup a meeting with the board." he told him. "Right away, Chief." Evan said. He excused himself and then went out of the office.

 

Outside his office, everyone was trying to console Amber. "I know I shouldn't have accepted this promotion. I'm not really good with my job..." Amber cried, while Megan and the rest of her staff consoled her. "Amber, you're doing great. It's just that.. ugh... you know..." Megan said. With that, Amber cried again. It was that scene that Sunnee saw when she came back from lunch.

 

"What happened?" she asked. "Chief shouted at our manager today because of her failed proposal to the board." Megan said. "Then, it means..." Sunnee asked. "Pastel may not continue. Maybe even the rest of the plans for The Digital Bear." Megan explained. Sunnee and Win looked at each other. "Where's Chief?" she asked. Megan pointed at his office. "But I don't think it's a good idea to talk to him right now, Sunnee." Megan told her. Sunnee just nodded her head. Then, she and Win headed back to their desk.

 

"So, how will you give that coffee to Chief now?" Win asked. Sunnee let out a sigh. She peeked at his office, and saw he's busy working. "I have no idea. Do you think he'll shout at me if I come in to his office?" she asked. Win shrugged his shoulders. Sunnee let out a sigh. She took a deep breath, and with a cup of coffee on her hand, she marched to his office and knocked on the door.

 

"Come in." Dylan said while he was signing some documents. "Chief, is this a good time to talk?" he heard Sunnee's calm voice say. That moment, he felt a little calm. He looked at Sunnee, and nodded his head. "Sure. What's the good word?" he asked. Then, she placed the coffee on his table. "Chief sure is working hard today. I hope he can take a break for a while." she said. He looked at the coffee, and then looked at Sunnee again. "I'm sorry, I'm just a little stressed out..." he confessed.

 

"I know you're working hard for the launch of our online magazine. All of us too. But that doesn't mean we all have to work all the time. Maybe for now, you need a little breather?" she said. Then, he let out a sigh. "I need to rework some things..." he said. "Maybe we all can help. Maybe we can all find a way to make it work. A good idea may come from one of us, if we just brainstorm. Maybe, instead of blaming someone for what she lacks, maybe we can help fill it up. That's what a team does, right?" she said.

 

Dylan looked at her a long time. "All right. Tell them let's have a meeting in a hour to discuss how to proceed with Pastel." he said. Sunnee smiled, and nodded her head. "I'll let them know, Chief!" she said happily before she got out of the office.

 

--

 

Everyone at the conference room is silent as they brainstorm what will be their next step to launch Pastel. "If we can't get more advertisers, then all our hardwork will be for naught." Dylan explained to the team. "Does anyone have an idea how to get more advertisers?" he asked. No one answered him. "So, we'll just fold out without releasing our first issue?" he asked.

 

Sunnee looked at Amber, who had her head hanging low. She peeked at her notes, and saw that she had written some proposal on what to do for Pastel. "Amber. You're our sales manager. You're also responsible for advertising. Can you give me at least 1 idea?" Dylan asked.

 

Amber looked at Sunnee, and she pointed on her notebook. She looked at her with encouragement as she pointed on what she had written. "Chief... I think... we should...take advantage of social media..." she said. Dylan furrowed his brows as he looked at her. "Aiya, that's a good idea!" Sunnee agreed with her. Dylan gave her a confused look. "I remember when I was starting Polaris Studio, all the information for it was on my blog. Then, I posted on social media, and then it grew! Everyone's looking for me as a their photographer now." Sunnee explained.

 

Dylan looked at Amber approvingly. "Go on. I'm listening." she said. "Maybe we can ask social media influencers to advertisers to promote us, and we can give them a small token, or a chance to be featured in our online magazine. "As Sunnee mentioned, word of mouth would be a good way to promote our platform. We can update our social media platforms for this, also take advantage of Shopster as well to advertise it." Amber said. 

 

"I agree with Amber." Megan said. Dylan turned his attention to her. "Since Shopster had a lot of traffic, we should use that to our advantage to promote Pastel. Also, didn't we plan to feature some products from Shopster to Pastel? That would be a great opportunity for us." Megan said. Then, Mei Yun raised her hand. "I can advertise Pastel through my accounts. I have a lot of followers." she said.

 

"I can make advertisement banners for Pastel." Teddy said. "Why don't we release a little bit of a teaser for Pastel so that we can make the people curious." Xuan Yi said. Everyone agreed. He looked at them for a long time, and then Dylan smiled. "Well, I guess we can do this. Thank you for your ideas team." he said. Then, he turned to Amber, and bowed at her. "And I'm sorry for what happened today, Amber." he said. "No, no... it's OK Chief. I should be thanking you, because if it wasn't for your scolding, I won't be able to present my original ideas today." Amber said. Dylan smiled at her. "Then, always present your original ideas from now on." he said. Amber smiled, and nodded her head.

 

--

 

"Sunnee! Thank you so much!" Amber said as she hugged Sunnee when they got out of the conference room. "You're welcome. Please don't be sad anymore." Sunnee told her. Amber smile, and nodded her head. "Thank you for the push, Sunnee. I won't be able to speak up if it wasn't for you." she said. "There's a reason why you were chosen the sales manager. You're a brilliant lady, Amber. Believe in yourself." Sunnee said. Amber smiled, and nodded her head. She hugged her one last time, before excusing herself.

 

Soon, Sunnee was left alone outside the conference room. "Well, you saved the day, Sunnee." she heard Dylan said. She turned to him, and saw him smiling. "I didn't save the day. I just believe that there's no problem that we can't solve, right?" she said. Dylan nodded her head. "Actually, I feel bad for blaming Amber for the failed proposal. I realized, Evan's right. She wrote it correctly, perfectly, if not. There's not loophole in it. But then I realized something..." Dylan said. Sunnee gave him a curious look. "What is it?" he asked.

 

He let out a sigh. "Someone's trying to sabotage me..."

 

--

 

"Thank you for your support, Director Chang. Of course, I will keep my promise. I will support your proposal on the next board meeting."

 

Wes ended the call and put his phone on the table. He swirled his glass of whiskey, and stared at it for a long time. "Cheers, my dear cousin." he said with a smirk before drinking it all up.