Chief, How Close?

By Your Side

"Food photography is your forte, right?" Dylan asked in her ear. Sunnee was startled upon hearing him near her. She immediately turned around to face him, and saw him standing behind her. Dylan put his hand behind her to help her as she almost lost her balance, and then pulled him close to him. Before she knew it, they were standing face to face. 

 

"C-chief!" Sunnee said as she composed herself. She stood up straight, and step backed from him. "Did I startle you? Sorry, I was curious at what you're doing..." Dylan said shyly. "It's... it's OK... I was surprised. I wasn't aware you'll be coming." she said with a nervous laugh. Dylan looked at her work. "Seems like you're so absorbed with your work..." he said. "I just want to make sure that the photo will look perfect, so we have to make minimal edits. Also, I just want to make the food look more natural." she answered.

 

Dylan stared at the food on the bento box. "Well, this looks enticing..." he said. "But you can't eat it." Sunnee said. Dylan gave her a confused look. "Unless you want to eat a very sweet rice." she added as she raised the bottle of clear syrup. "Oh... yuck..." Dylan said in a disgusted tone. "And if you like eating brown paint." she added.

 

"Brown paint?" Dylan asked. "To make the soy chicken have more color. It's a little pale, so we need more brown in the soy chicken." she said. She could see the disgusted look in his face upon hearing her explanation. "So, we have to throw this away after the shoot?" Dylan asked.  "We can't eat this anymore. Also, isn't food more delicious when it's warm?" Sunnee said. Dylan nodded his head. 

 

She looked at him as he observed her with what she's doing. She could tell her boss is interested with her work. "Chief, do you want to try it out?" she asked. She could swear his eyes twinkled upon hearing her. "Can I?" he asked. She nodded her head. "You can also take the first picture if you want to..." she said. Dylan nodded his head. "I'd love to try my hands on this one." Dylan said. 

 

He rolled up his sleeves, and then helped Sunnee to prepare and style the bento box. Once they are satisfied with the way the bento box looks, Sunnee handed him the camera. "A-are you sure I can do this?" Dylan asked. Sunnee nodded his head. "Just take a few pictures, then let's review it, OK? Make sure to take the picture against the light." Sunnee said. Dylan nodded his head. 

 

His hands were shaking as he took the camera from her. "I can do this. She taught me well, right?" he said to himself as he took the camera. Then, he take a few pictures, and then showed it to her. "Hmmm... not bad..." Sunnee said as she looked at it. "Really?" he asked. "I actually think it's good." she said. With that, Dylan let out a smile. "Can I... Can I try again?" he asked. Sunnee just nodded her head, Dylan took more pictures and showed it to her after. "You're getting better at this, Chief. Who knows, one day, you'll fire me because you no longer need a photographer." she . "Of course not! I need you...." he said. 

 

Sunnee paused for a while and looked at him. "I need you as a talent of The Digital Bear." Dylan said as he scratched his head,. Sunnee just let out a laugh. "Thank you, Chief." she said. "I might be taking much of your time. I have to go. Good luck on the shoot." Dylan said.  She nodded her head. As he turned to leave, Sunnee realized she wanted him around. The reason why she accepted this jobs is because she wants to be close again to her childhood friend, even if it seems that he can't remember her. 

 

"Chief..." she called as he was walking away from her. Dylan turned to face her. "If you're not busy... if only you have free time right now.... I would love for you to stay and help out. Well, not really help out... but maybe we can... since you're interested in photography, maybe we can talk about it? Or maybe I can teach you more? I don't know... I... I just want you to stay. I hope you can stay..." she said nervously. Dylan paused, and then smiled at her. "I'd love to stay and help you out." he said. Then, he walked back towards her. "So, tell me boss, what should I do next?" he asked. "Let's arrange the lighting then you can take another picture." she said happily. "On it, Boss." Dylan said with a smile.

 

--

 

The moment she got home, Sunnee went straight up to her room and plopped on her bed. It's a long and tiring day, but it doesn't matter to her. All that matters is that she got to work beside Dylan that day. She let out a smile as she remember how close she was able to get to her childhood friend. "But I wonder why you can't remember me, Xiao Xiong... but I know, one day you'll remember me." she said with a smile. 

 

Then, she heard the notification tone on her phone. She took it out, and saw a new post from Big Fluffy Bear. She immediately opened it, and saw a picture of a sunflower. 

 

“And the yellow sunflower by the brook, in autumn beauty stood.”

 

She immediately liked his post. As she was about to comment on his post, he messaged her.

 

@BigFluffyBear: Teacher, why are you still awake?

@LittlePineapple: I just got home. How about you, why are you still awake?

@BigFluffyBear: It's because I can't sleep. I'm so happy today I was able to take pictures again. 

@LittlePineapple: You improved a lot! I really love this picture of sunflower that you posted.

@BigFluffyBear: I remember, you like sunflowers, right?

@LittlePineapple: You remember...

@BigFluffyBear: Of course, I remember all the things you like

@LittlePineapply: Aww he remember... you must be in love with me, right?

@BigFluffyBear: You are my favorite :)

 

Sunnee frowned at his reply. "Why is it that I can't charm you, Big Fluffy Bear?" she said to herself. 

 

@LittlePineapple: All right, as long as I'm your favorite....

@BigFluffyBear: Teacher, you must sleep now. I'll be worried if you'll get sick because you stayed up too late....

@LittlePineapple: Awww he's going to be worried about me.. you really love me

@BigFluffyBear: I care for you, teacher

 

Sunnee let out a disgruntled sigh. "You're so dense, you fluffy bear!" she said. 

 

@LittlePineapple: Thank you for caring about me, fluffy bear

@BigFluffyBear: Sleep now, who knows, tomorrow you might get a surprise ;)

@LittlePieneapple: Surprise? From you? Awwww he really loves me

 

Then, Big Fluffy Bear went offline. "Stupid bear..." she muttered. She took a deep breath, then stood up to get ready for bed. 

 

--

 

"Two cafe latte please."

 

Dylan said to the barista. Evan gave his boss a confused look. "Two coffee, Chief?" he asked. "One for me and one for Sunnee." he said with a smile. Evan nodded his head. But he was disappointed that he can't buy coffee for her since his boss already bought her one. Then, he thought of buying her a cake instead. "One dark chocolate cake for to go please." Evan said. 

 

Dylan looked at him. "Someone got a sweet tooth today." he commented. Evan just nodded his head.