New Work

By Your Side

By some miracle, Sunnee was able to get to the office in time. Well, she was fifteen minutes late, but the orientation had not started yet, and all the new hires were waiting at the conference of Solana Enterprises. As they were waiting, she got acquainted with some of the newbies. On her right is Xuan Yi, the new member of the marketing team. Beside Xuan Yi is Mei Yun, the web designer. On her left is her assistant from her studio, Win. There's also Simon, the web developer and Teddy, the one from sales. 

 

As they were all chatting, a woman in her mid 30s came inside the room. It was the HR Director. "Good morning, everyone. You may or may not know me, but let me introduce myself. I am Pets Tseng, the HR Director of Solana Enterprises. And I would like to welcome you to our company." Pets said. After introducing themselves, Pets started the orientation. She discussed  the vision and mission of the company, a brief history of their company, the rules and regulations,  and some of their benefits as part of their workforce. 

 

She was in the middle of discussing the benefits when Dylan knocked and peeked inside the room. "Excuse me, I hope I'm not disturbing the orientation." Dylan said. Pets looked at her boss, and smiled. Dylan then entered the room, and stood beside Pets. "Guys, this is Mr. Dylan Xiong. He's the CEO of Solana Enterprises. You can call him Chief." Pets introduced to them. 

 

Dylan smiled at his new members. "I'm glad you all could join Solana Enterprises, and I look forward to working with you soon." he said. Then, his eyes landed on Sunnee, who was smiling at him. "Fluffy... cheeks... wanna... pinch..." he thought. He looked away from her, and then looked at Pets. "Get yourself together, Dylan." he thought. "I'm actually about to tour them around The Digital Bear office." Pets said. "Then, lead the way. I'll go with you." he said. 

 

They all went outside the conference room, and lined up to go to their office. Sunnee stood behind the line. As Pets toured them around the office discussed the different teams and their roles and responsibilities. "And this is the office of our CEO." Pets said, pointing at the office with glass door. "He's currently overlooking The Digital Bear's operation as this is a new venture for Solana Enterprises. So, you'll be seeing him a lot here." Pets said. 

 

"If you have any issues, you can go and find me here to talk. Dylan said. Dylan looked at Sunnee. "Fluffy... cheeks... must not pinch...." he reminded himself. "So, since we're already here, let's check the teams and where your desks will be." Pets said, 

 

Most of the newhires settled in with their desks and new team, except for Sunnee. "Miss Tseng, where will my desk be?" she asked. Dylan looked at her. "Ah, Miss Yang, your desk..." Pets said as she looked around for a vacant desk. 

 

Upon hearing that name, Dylan remembered her. "You must be the new photographer from Polaris Studio, right?" Dylan said. Sunnee nodded her head. "I think she had some specification for her workstation. Miss Tseng, please follow up on her desk. We don't want our photographer to be kept waiting." Dylan said. Pets nodded her head. "Yes, Chief. I will follow up on it." she said. 

 

Then, Dylan looked at Sunnee. "For the mean time, can you come to my office, Miss Yang. I want to discuss some things about you." he said. Sunnee nodded his head and followed Dylan to his office. Dylan closed the door of his office, and sat on his chair. 

 

"Welcome to The Digital Bear, Miss Yang. Thank you for accepting our offer to be our main photographer." he said. "I do hope we're not talking about changing the contract, just because I have too many demands..." she said nervously. Dylan let out a laugh as he shook his head. "No, of course not. You are an important talent of this venture. We will abide by the contract of course. I just want to welcome you personally. I have to say, negotiating with you is a tough one." Dylan said. 

 

Sunnee let out a sigh. "You know that working with you means I have to close down my studio, as specifically said in my contract." she said. Dylan nodded his head. "Well anyway, I'm glad that you're able to join The Digital Bear. Welcome aboard." he said. 

 

Just then, Evan knocked on the door, and Dylan signalled him to come in. "Chief, we have the financial review from Accounting department." Evan said, handing him the document. As Sunnee looked at Evan, she gasped. "You..." she hissed. Evan looked at her, and smiled. "Hello." Evan greeted her, "You are the bastard that hit my car this morning!" Sunnee said. 

 

Dylan looked at Evan and furrowed his brows. "She was driving the car Lao Jin hit this morning?" Dylan asked. "Yes, she is. Hello, Miss. Should we discuss the compensation for the damages?" Evan asked. Dylan raised his hand to silence Evan. 

 

"Evan, call our trusted car repair shop and schedule for Miss Yang's car to be fixed ASAP. I don't want to cause any trouble to Miss Yang. Make sure everything is paid for in our account." he said. Evan nodded his head. "I will do that as soon as possible, Chief. By the way, you have a lunch meeting with the director from Gao Realty." Evan said. 

 

Dylan stood up from his seat. "That's all, Miss Yang. Don't worry, we will take care of the car." he said. Sunnee let out a pout. "That dummy brother of mine will kill me!" she thought. As she saw her pout, he had to urge to pinch her cheek again. "Must... not... pinch... her... fluffy... cheek... Dylan what's wrong with you?!" he scolded himself internally. "Well then, I'll contact your assistant then, Chief. Thank you for your time." she said. Then, she went out of his office. 

 

As soon as she's out of the office, Dylan sighed with relief. "Chief?" Evan called. "Yeah?"

"You want to pinch her cheek, right?"

"How did you know?"

"You did that to me on my first day of working with you."

 

With that, Dylan let out a nervous laugh. 

 

--

 

"What did you do to my car?!"

 

Aaron asked angrily as he saw the damage at the back of his car. "This is brand new, Sunnee!" he shouted again. "Don't worry, they'll take care of it." Sunnee said. She went inside the house, and Aaron followed her. "You should have been more careful in driving, did you know that?!" Aaron said. "I was careful. The driver behind me isn't." Sunnee said. 

 

Aaron's could sigh in dismay, and looked at her worriedly. "Don't worry, all right. As soon as I get my bonus, I'll buy you a new car." Sunnee said. "I'm not worried about the car anymore. I'm worried about you. Are you OK? Are you hurt anywhere? Do I need to get you to the hospital? And why didn't you call me when you had this accident." 

 

Sunnee let out a sigh. "This is the exact reason why I didn't call you. You're like dad when you worry." she said. "Of course, I would worry. You're the only family I have. It's just the two of us now, OK? If something happened to you, I could never forgive myself. We already lost dad, and I can't lose you." Aaron said. Sunnee looked at him with sadness. "I... I miss dad..." she said. Aaron fell silent upon hearing that. "Me too..." he said in a low voice. 

 

Sunnee bit her lips to stop herself from crying. It has been more than a year since their father dad, and although the two of them don't talk about it, they knew they both miss him dearly. "Is... Is this the part we should... hug again and cry?" Sunnee asked. Aaron nodded his head. 

 

Then, she hugged his brother, and cried silently in his shoulder. Her father is not her real father, and Aaron may not be her real brother, but they are the only family they have ever known. Both of them were adopted by their father at a very young age,and even though he is not their biological father, he is more than that to them. That's why losing him had hurt them the most. "We'll be fine, Sunnee... One day, we'll be both fine...." Aaron said as he patted his head.