Birthday Wishes

By Your Side

"Wow!"

Sunnee exclaimed as Dylan parked his car by the overlooking. He pressed a button from his car to put away the roof of his convertible. "Pretty, isn't it?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. Her eyes widened as she looked at the city lights from where they are. They were at the highest peak of the city, and she felt like she's on top of the world just looking at how tiny every building looked from where they are. 

"These city lights are the prettiest." she said. "You know what else looks pretty?"
"Aside from me?"

Dylan let out a laugh. Then, he pointed upwards. She looked up, and she saw the stars shining brightly above them. "Isn't a night sky so beautiful?" she asked. "It is the most beautiful sight when it's darker." Dylan said. She looked at him with confusion. "Do you wonder why when were at the city, we don't see so much stars?" Dylan asked. "Why?"
"Because it's overwhelemed by the citylights before us. We can only see how bright the stars are whenever there is darkness."
"Between the stars and the blinding city lights, I'd choose the starlights. I'll always choose the night sky."
"Why?"
"Because at certain times, the lights from the city will be gone. But the stars... the stars will always shine on you. They do their best to shine even if we are blinded by the temporary lights. Even if you go out of space, their light would always illuminate the darkness."

Then, she looked at him, and saw him staring at the night sky. "Sunnee, do you know you're like a star?" he said. Sunnee was both surprised and confused at the same time. "W-what do you mean?" she asked. "Because you're not a temporary light. You're the kind of light that will shine on for a billion of years." he said. With that, Sunnee let out a laugh.

"Have you heard the legend of the fallen star?" she asked him. This time, it's Dylan's turn to give her a confused look. "Is there such a thing" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "Long ago, when the universe was young, there were two stars at the opposite end of the galaxy. One is a weakest star, the other is the strongest and the brightest star. The brightest star was adored by many, including the weaker star. Sometimes, the weaker star wishes she could also shine brightly so that the brightest star could notice her. But since she is not aas bright as an ordinary star, nobody notices her. She always adore the brightest star, and had fallen in love with him. But the only thing she could do is look at him from afar. But the creator of the universe had seen though the weaker star. One day, he showed up to her to grant her wish. She can't be brighter like the ordinary star, but she can travel to where the brightest star is, as long as she does not get too close to him."

"So, the weaker star is happy?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "She was so excited when the creator of the universe granted her wish. She travelled to where the brightest star is. As she gets closer to him, she fell more in love with his light. And it made her want to be more closer to him. So she moved closer, and closer, forgetting the warning of the creator." she continued. 

"So, what happened, did the creator got mad at her?" Dylan asked. Sunnee shooked her head. "As she moved closer to her, she felt being weaker and weaker. What happened was the brightest star didn' realize he was hurting the weaker star by burning her with his light. So as the weaker star gets closer to him, she gets even more burnt. Until finally, she lost all of her energy and died, falling into the center of the galaxy." she ended sadly. "That's so sad for the weaker star..." Dylan said. Sunnee nodded her head. 

Dylan looked up at the night sky, and noticed a shooting star. "Look, there's a shooting star. Let's make a wish." he said. They both clasped their hands, and then made a wish. "My wish is him.... she thought. Sunnee slowly opened her eyes, and looked at Dylan, who's still making his wish. "Can I have him instead?" she asked in her thoughts. Then, Dylan slowlt opened his eyes, so she looked away from him. "Do you think our wishes will come true?" he asked. Sunnee shrugged her shoulders. "But who knows, it might come true." she said. 

Dylan looked at his watch, then started the engine of his car. "We got a few more minutes left. Let's go." he said. Sunnne was confused at him, but he just let him be as he drow away from the overlooking.

--

After going to the overlooking, Sunnee found herself at the bench of the park near their office. She was all alone, as Dylan excused himself, and left her for a while. "Where is thart fluffy bear?" she thought. She let out a sigh as she continued to wait for him. 

"Happy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday, dear Sunnee,
Happy birthday to you!"

She looked up, and saw Dylan holding a cupcake with a lit candle on it. She was so happy to see that. "Fluffy bear, you shouldn't have!" she said. "I want to be the first to greet Little Pineappple a hppy birthday on midnight. Happy birthday! Now, make a wish." he said as he knelt before her. Sunnee clasped her hands and closed her eyes. "My first wish, is for The Digital Bear to be successful so I can keep my job and earn a lot of money." she wished. "I'm sure we will, as long as we work hard." Dylan said. "My second wish, is for all my family and friends to be always healthy." she said. "Does that include me?"
"Of course, you are my friend."
"All right. Third wish."
"My third wish..."

She said her wish silently. "I wish that Xiao Xiong's happiness..." she thought. She slowly opened her eyes, and blew the candle. Then, she looked at Dylan as he smiled at her. "Happy birthday!" he said. Then, he gave her  hug. "Thank you for being born. And thank you for letting me meet you." he said as he hugged her.

Sunnee was surprised at his hug. She was speechless, but then she was happy Then, she hugged him back. "I'm glad to have you in my life, Dylan." she said. Then, Dylan let her go and gazed into her eyes. "Sunnee, you will always be the most special girl in my life. I'm glad that in this lifetime, I have you." he said. Sunnee's lips turn into a smile upon hearing that. "I wish you could remember me, Xiao Xiong. I'm here. I've never forgotten you..." she thought. 

"So, should we share your birthday cupcake?" he asked. With that, Sunnee let out a laugh. "I can share my birthday cupcake with you," she said. She sat beside her, and tore the cupcake into two. "i call dibs on the side with the most icing!"  Sunnee told her. Dylan looked at the two pieces of cupcake and gave her the one with the most icing. 

--

It was past midnight at the airport. Her flight just landed, and soon she was escorted by the gates. "Welcome back, Miss Lai." One of the crew greeted her. She smiled and nodded politely at her. She took off her sunglasses as she looked around the place. Then, she let out a smile. "I'm finally home..." she said to herself.

--

The next day.

It was a weekend and Sunnee stayed up late as Dylan drove her home late. As she made her last step from the stairs, she was startled by her brother's and Win's loud voice. "Happy birthday!" they both shouted. Then, they opened the poppers at her, making her even surprised. "Jesus! Are you guys trying to kill me on my birthday?!" she shouted at the two.

Aaron let out a pout. "My cute little baby sister doesn't like my surprise for her?" he said, almost crying. Sunnee let out a sigh. "Ge... It's not like that..." she said as she walked towards him. Then, she hugged him. "You know I don't like to celebrate my birthday. But thank you for making an effort to surprise me. I love you, my devilishly handsome big brother." she said. Then, she gave him a kiss. 

"Because you deserve a celebration for your birthday. Even if dad is no longer with us to celebrate your special day, we should still celebrate it. Come on, I made your favorite dishes and I bakes your favorite cake." Aaron said as she lead her to her seat. "Pineapple cake?" she asked. Aaron smiled and gave her a thumbs up. 

Sunnee just smiled to herself. Her life is going on smoothly. But that's what she think. She's not aware of what will happen next in her life.