015

It's Okay to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ShinAe was speechless. She didn't know how to react.

Shouldn't she be jumping for joy? The man she likes said he cared for her.

A surged of excitement travelled through her for a brief moment, before an unwanted feeling followed it. ShinAe detected his words pushed further than just platonic words of concern. Normally, people would be ecstatic if their crush display interest, but ShinAe was the opposite. A wave of fear consumed her. The last time she let someone in, they only took what they wanted and left her feeling cold and empty. 

Instead of wallowing in her pool of confusing emotions, ShinAe shoved it aside and focused on her perceived reality. *Just because he says he cares, doesn't mean he's interested. Friends care for friends.* 

ShinAe extended her hand with the ice cream to him. " Sorry, I already started eating." She sheepishly stated.

A little chuckle left Jaehyun's lips. "That doesn't bother me, ShinAe." He took a scoop with his spoon and tried the ice cream. Nodding his head with the spoon stuck in his mouth, he stuck a thumb out in approval. Jaehyun was never a fan of chocolate flavoured ice cream but for some reason, when the ice cream touched his tongue, it tasted incredible. 

Maybe it tasted better because it was her's.

Maybe the thought of her lips making contact with it, caused his body to react in delight. 

Jaehyun let his teeth bite down on his lower lip as his head filled with a whirlwind of thoughts - *Her lips. They look so soft and supple. I wonder how it would feel if I k-* Realising his thoughts, Jaehyun straightened up and blinked rapidly. *Get it together, Jaehyun.* He had to stop himself from slapping himself on the cheek.

Finishing their ice cream, they walked back to his car in a comfortable silence. Occasionally, their hands would accidentally brush against each other - as if teasing the two. Neither took the leap to entwined. They've held hands before and because they have, it makes the temptation agonising. Jaehyun turned his head to the side and took a deep breath to settle his racing heart.

Jaehyun helped her into the car. With one hand holding the door, his other hand hovered over her head as she entered the car . He didn't want her to bump herself. The small action didn't go unnoticed by ShinAe. It was within those small actions, she found Jaehyun endearing and attractive. The ability to ensure she was comfortable, to going out of his way to pick her up from work. 

As he shut the passenger door and moved around the car, ShinAe's eyes followed his figure. Their eyes unexpectedly met and she instantly blushed from being caught. *, stop being so desperate and obvious.* ShinAe adjusted her position and gazed out of the window beside her; as if she has found something more interesting than the man with her.  

Jaehyun drove her home. Arriving infront of her apartment, ShinAe was about to step out of the car until she heard Jaehyun's driver door open. ShinAe's eyes followed his movement, wondering what he was doing. He walked around and came to her side with a grin. Jaehyun held the door for her as she exit the car. Not really refusing his presence like she did before, she allowed him to walk her to her apartment. At her door, she jotted in the pin and swung it open.Turning around, she was about to say 'bye' to him when she remembered something. 

"Oh! I need to give you something. Just hold the door. I'll be right back." ShinAe took off her shoes and hurried into her apartment. Her heart strummed nervously in her ear. *I wonder how he'll react.* Scrambling to find what she was looking for, her eyes caught onto the item she was after. Swiping it off the table, she sprinted back out. In her hand, was the jacket from last time.

Sticking her hand out, she gave it to him. "Thank you for letting me borrow your jacket." Her eyes dart awkwardly to the wall behind him, afraid to see his expression. " I've patched up the hole in the inner lining for you."  

Jaehyun opened the jacket and saw that on the inside of his jacket, there was a bright sunflower embroided. "ShinAe", touched by her action, he ran his fingers over the threads. "It's beautiful."

Her orbs went straight from the space behind him to his face. ShinAe swore her heart skipped a beat after hearing the compliment. "Really?" Her skin pricked with joy.

Seeing her eyes twinkle like stars, Jaehyun knew that this jacket was going to be his favourite. Stars are remarkable in the void of the night sky, but to Jaehyun, it did not come close to how remarkable ShinAe is. He wanted to be with her all night and drink in her amazing presence, but unfortunately, the day was not timeless.

Trying to hide the ruefulness in his voice, Jaehyun bid his leaving. "I'll get going. I'll leave you to rest. Good night, ShinAe." 

"Good night Jaehyun." She smiled at him.

A smile danced across his lips as soon as she smiled at him. "Sweet dreams, ShinAe." Jaehyun backed away with his body still facing her.

"You too, Jaehyun."

"I hope to see you soon."  His heated gaze bore into her. It had her stomach churning and flipping. 

"Mhm." ShinAe couldn't utter a single word and could only hum in response. She watched as he relunctantly turned around. 

Shutting the door behind her, she leaned against the door and sighed. *Jaehyun, do you know how crazy you're driving me?* ShinAe slide down the wall and curled her knees to her chest. She was getting attached to him, but a part of her was telling her not to. She was in constant conflict with herself. 

Tossing between liking Jaehyun and hoping he'll recepriocate, to beating herself over her constantly fear of being hurt again and not wanting to accept newcomers. 

It's within those conflict with herself that she slowly start to build her walls again.

*I need to sort myself.* ShinAe grumbled to herself, feeling her emotions come from all ranges of the spectrum.

"Maybe, I should stop...before it's too late." Her forehead creased and she roughly ran her fingers through her hair. 

*But I like him..so much.*

ShinAe's head started to pulse. *But you'll only get hurt. You'll only bother him with your constant insecurities. It'll be too much and he'll leave.* She rested her forehead onto her knees.

 

-    -    -    -

 

Preparing for her afternoon shift, ShinAe packed her bag. She was exhausted. Her sleep consisted off tossing and turning. Her racing thoughts went for miles and miles, with no intentions of stopping. ShinAe couldn't stop thinking about it; how she got ahead of herself and let herself get swept up in her hopes. How has her heart and mind become so careless. 

Just as she grabbed for her phone, she received a phone call. Picking up the call, she placed it against her ear.  "Hello, ShinAe speaking." She answered.

"Hello ShinAe, we're calling from Our Lady of the Rosary nursing home. I'm calling you in regards to your mother Kim Minjung. " The woman on the other line identified. 

"Yes?" ShinAe continued to pack her bag.

"We wanted to arrange a case conference with you in person. We would like to discuss with you changes in her care. May I ask what day and time is good for you, ShinAe?" The nurse from the nursing home enquired. 

"Sure. I can come on Friday. Around 11am." ShinAe looked through her calendar. It was her day off on Friday. 

"That's great. We will see you then." ShinAe put her phone away.

It has been a good few months since she has visited her mother. She owed her a visit. She has been so caught up with work and her own life that she didn't make time for her mother, and she felt terrible for it. ShinAe promised herself at that moment, to make time for her mother, whether it was a visit or a phone call.

ShinAe arrived to work and started on her vital observation rounds with the patients. Visiting one of her favourite patients, Taehee, she wheeled in her vital observation machine.

"Hello, hello dear Taehee." ShinAe greeted her cheerily. Upon seeing her, ShinAe noticed something different with Taehee. Taehee was sweaty and not as lively as she usually is. 

"Hello, darling." Taehee wearily said. She stuck her arm out of habit for ShinAe to check her blood pressure. Once ShinAe started the machine, she went to check Taehee's temperature. 

"Are you feeling abit hot Taehee?" ShinAe asked as she brushed the hair away from Taehee's ear in order to check the temperature. 

"I feel abit chilly, darling." Taehee answered. At that moment, the thermometer beeped indicating that the temperature was taken. 

Checking the temperature, ShinAe's eyes widen. *38.8 C* "Taehee, you've got a temperature. I nee-" ShinAe suddenly stopped talking when she noted something on Taehee's neck - a lump. 

"Taehee, how long have you had this lump for?" ShinAe came close to Taehee to see it better. 

Taehee thought to herself and answered. "I've never noticed it, but now that you mentioned it; it's a little painful." 

Straigtening herself, ShinAe charted Taehee's vital observation. "I'm going to call the doctor to review you. I'll see you in a bit." ShinAe left the room and went to her station. Dialing the page number for the team doctor on the phone, she hung up once it was sent. Within a few minutes the phone rang. 

"Hello this is ward 4T, ShinAe speaking." She answered the phone out of habit.

The phone line was silent. ShinAe was about to hang up when the person on the other side finally answered. "Hello sweet cheeks. Missing me, aren't you?" 

ShinAe shut her eyes and exhaled shakily. Out of all people.

She bit down her tongue and tried her best to stay professional. "Dr Kim, I need you to come to the ward and review one of my patients, Taehee. Taehee is febrile at 38. 8C and a lump was found on the left side of her neck." 

Kai smirked to herself. *Stubborn as usual* 

"Anything you need. I'll come to the ward. I'll see you soon, my sweet ch-" As he was in the middle of talking, the line went dead.

She hung up on him.

With her hand grasping onto the phone, she felt the pit of her stomach wallow with the familiar feeling that has been entering and leaving her since yesterday. Being around Kai just heightened her fears and reluctancy. He reminded her that anyone could come and go as they please in her life, even after wrecking havoc in her.

She was guarded and didn't let people in, but she gave Kai a chance. A chance that made her reconsider her views on people and love. For a brief moment, she had thought to herself 'Ah, this is what love is' because the great moments were so blissful. 

But Kai turned around and did just what she feared. The moment of appreciation she had for love was instantly shattered. 

Shaking her head, ShinAe straightened herself and stood up from the seat. ShinAe finished off her vital observation rounds for her other patients. Just as she slid the last patients folder into the shelf at her station, ShinAe felt a heated presence behind her. Turning around, she came face to face with Kai, who was looking at her with amusement. 

"Hi beautiful. You called for me?" Kai beamed, excited to be close to her. 

Not liking the closeness, ShinAe took a step to the side and frowned at him. "M-my name is ShinAe. If you're not going to call me by my name, I'll get someone else to assist you with this." Her words s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter