030

It's Okay to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was ShinAe's last day of her working week. Shift work was messy, but it was something she become accustomed to. Fortunately, she finished on a Friday and was looking forward to the weekend like others. ShinAe had finish up her shift and was in the change room, changing out of her scrubs. Her phone vibrated and flashed with an incoming call. Without much thought, she pressed on the screen and rested the device against her ear.

"Hello, am I speaking to Kim ShinAe?" The voice on the line questioned.

"Yes, you are. This is ShinAe." ShinAe answered warily. The person on the other side of the line continued to speak and it was in regards to her mother. They were calling from the nursing home to inform her that her mother was discharged from the hospital today and has just arrived back to the facilty. It was perfect how everything fell into place. She could head down to Busan tomorrow and visit her mother. Like she said, she was going to take more intiative and spend more time with her mother. The past year or so, ShinAe got caught up in her own life and forgot there were people in her life that needed her.

Leaving the ward, ShinAe took the elevator down and smiled to herself, excited to see Jaehyun and for the upcoming weekend. A thought came to her head and ShinAe wasn't sure if she should proceed and ask Jaehyun later, *Should I ask him to come with me? Does he want to? What happen if he has plans?*

The elevator arrived at the main entrance floor and slid open. As it opened, Yoojung stood there waiting to step on. ShinAe's eyes widen slightly from the sight of Yoojung, but she remained composed and exited the elevator without a word. She took a step to the side, avoiding Yoojung, but it seemed like Yoojung did not have the same idea. Instead, Yoojung moved herself to ShinAe and roughly bumped her shoulder into ShinAe's. ShinAe stumbled but luckily did not fall. Reaching up and touching the spot where Yoojung made contact, ShinAe's air got caught in . She slowly turned and face the elevator and watched the doors close. But before it completely shut, ShinAe could see Yoojung's smug face, evidently happy with what she just did. ShinAe gulped feeling bothered by Yoojung's bold action.

 

 

-    -    -    -

 

 

*Chanyeol? Where have I heard this name before?* Jaehyun pondered, trying to recall where he heard the name before.

Then it hit him.

He lifted his head and stared at Chanyeol like he had just seen a ghost. "You used to be ShinAe's friend." Jaehyun pointed out cruelly, having a difficult time trying to be civil.

*Used to be..* Chanyeol felt himself winced from the past tense. He could only nod his head at Jaehyun's statement. Taking a step back, Chanyeol had his eyes steady on Jaehyun. "Can we talk for a minute? Away from here."

As much as Jaehyun did not want to give Chanyeol any time out of his day, a part of him was curious as to what was the reason that had Chanyeol standing before him. Jaehyun's eyes narrowed at the other male, as he remained on high alert. "Ok." He got out of his car and walked away from the hospital main entrance. Finding a bench at the park near the hospital, they both sat down on either ends.

"What's your name?", "Jaehyun." Chanyeol finally has the name of the man he has been so curious about. An awkward silence hung between them, neither wanting to speak up. Chanyeol had so many questions but he felt like he was tongue tied and his head was a fuddled mess.

Finally being able to gather his thoughts, Chanyeol broke the silence, "Jaehyun, how's ShinAe?"

"She hasn't talked to me much. I just want to know how she's been." He added.

Jaehyun sat forward and rested his elbows on his knees. "She's been good." He clasped his hands infront and dropped his gaze to the hands.

Chanyeol also leaned forward and mirrored Jaehyun, "That's a relief." He turned to look Jaehyun. "Are you and ShinAe..dating?" Chanyeol asked the questioned he has been itching to ask. He has been at the hospital a few times to pick up and drop off Kai, since Kai has destroyed his car again. On one occasion, he has caught sight of ShinAe making her way to Jaehyun. Chanyeol watched as Jaehyun wrapped his arms around ShinAe tightly and she returned the hug with a shy gleam in her eyes. When they pulled back and stared at each other, Chanyeol could feel the happiness radiating from where he was. Even from the distance, he could tell ShinAe has fallen for Jaehyun.

"Yes, we are." Jaehyun immediately answered

"Treat her well, Jaehy-.", "Don't worry, I will." Jaehyun bit back, feeling annoyed at Chanyeol's comment.

Sensing the venom in Jaehyun's reply, Chanyeol smoothed his hand over his face and scoffed to himself. "Sorry, that was stupid of me to say. I have no right to go and tell you to treat her well, when I myself didn't do that." He sat up and leaned his back against the bench. "I assumed that she told you what happened with her and Kai, am I right?" Chanyeol smiled to himself but it wasn't a happy smile. It was an embarassed smile. Embarassed at the type of person he was, and who he still is.

Jaehyun was silent before answering, "yes."

"I've never regretted anything in my life, except for one thing...not telling ShinAe that Kai was cheating on her. " Chanyeol lifted his head to look at the stars. "I confronted Kai the moment I knew about him cheating and told him I would tell ShinAe."

"Instead of trying to stop me or tell me he was wrong and that he would leave the other woman, he threatened me. He threatened to tell ShinAe about my feelings for her - that I loved her." Chanyeol shook his head with a chuckle. Jaehyun slowly turned his head and looked over his shoulder at Chanyeol, not expecting what was just revealed. "It worked though, b-because I didn't tell her. "Chanyeol choked, feeling angered about his decision. He has never really told anyone about how much the broken friendship tore him. Yet here he was, sharing it with someone he barely knew.

"How selfish of me." Chanyeol scoffed. He felt so pathetic. "I was more scared of her finding out about my feelings for her, than lying to her and hurting her. How terrible of me. The day she found out about Kai cheating..she also found out I lied to her. " Chanyeol's eyes started to burn and he felt his throat go dry. "It was the worst day of my life, Jaehyun." Chanyeol gulped recalling the day it happened. "I've never been so fearful of seeing someone cry until I saw ShinAe cry so painfully. I tried to defend myself; tell her my reason, but nothing would've been a valid reason for lying. She shut me out that day. She severed out friendship. I didn't even have the energy to refute it, because I knew I deserved it. I didn't deserved to be her friend anymore"

"Do you still love her?" All hostility in Jaehyun's voice departed and was left with a coat of curiosity.

"A part of me used to love her more than a friend." Chanyeol sighed to himself. "But I knew she deserved someone more than me, so I've come to accept it and let that part of my love go." A small smile appeared on his face. "But I will always love her as a friend. Even though she does not see me as her friend anymore. I will always consider ShinAe to be my friend. I will always be there for her."

Letting out a shaky breath, Chanyeol straightened himself on the bench with a smile. "You're lucky, Jaehyun. ShinAe trusts you alot. I can see it. She's probably terrified, but she took the chance for you."

Jaehyun pressed himself against the bench and turned his head to Chanyeol. He didn't expect to hear that. His heart was pounding at incredible speeds at the thought of ShinAe stepping out of her comfort zone for him.

Chanyeol turned his head and faced Jaehyun. "Take care of her, Jaehyun" Chanyeol then started to list ShinAe's habits, making Jaehyun smile. "Make sure she has her meals. She forgets to eat when she's busy. Make sure she do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter