019

It's Okay to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

(Yugyeom - Falling In Love) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKhXxKwtSKU

 

It was like the universe was set out to drive Jaehyun to insanity. It has been hours since Jaehyun messaged, talk or saw ShinAe. The moment he realised his love for her, the universe was set to make his life harder. 

God, he missed her so damn much. 

Jaehyun laid in bed and stared up at the ceiling. He messaged her about 12 hours ago but she has not returned his message. He has never been the clingy type.

Never.

Jaehyun was never one to follow someone around like a lost puppy; but here he was, tailing ShinAe, love sick and whipped. Every second of his day, Jaehyun was sprung on the thought of her. Scrolling through his contacts, he pressed on Taeyong's name. Resting the device against his ear, the line rang endlessly and painfully. Finally after what felt like eternity, his friend picked up. 

"It is 7am on a Sunday, you psycho. Why are you calling me?" Taeyong groaned tiredly over the phone. 

"I think my phone is broken. Call me." Jaehyun requested.

Taeyong pulled his phone away from his ear and made a face at his phone before putting back against his ear. "Your phone is definitely not broken, it made this outrageous 7am call to me on a Sunday." Taeyong shut his eyes and exhaled in annoyance. 

"No, it could be the incoming calls. I'm going to hang up and I'll wait for your call." 

"Jung Jaehyun! I'm not going to ca-" The phone line cut off, cutting Taeyong in the process.

"Stupid, no sleep Jaehyun, who doesn't sleep in and wake people up at 7am. Stupid." Grumbling to himself, Taeyong started to press on his phone harshly. Calling Jaehyun, he rested his phone against his ear again. After two rings, Jaehyun picked up the phone. 

Taeyong exclaimed in a matter-of-fact tone. "See, it wor-."

"Now message me. I don't think I'm receiving messages." Jaehyun interrupted and hung up on Taeyong. 

Taeyong pulled his phone away and gawked at it. Jaehyun has lost the plot. Holding his phone with both hands, he started to smash his fingers against the screen to message Jaehyun. 

Taeyong: IT

Taeyong: WORKS

Taeyong: YOU MADMAN 

Jaehyun leaned into his bed and combed through his hair with his hand. "Damn, it's not the phone. Is she avoiding me?"

 

 

-    -    -    -

 


"ShinAe. ShinAe. ShinAe!" 

ShinAe snapped her head in the direction of the voice. "Huh?" 

"Goodness ShinAe, I've been trying to call you for the last 2 minutes. Are you alright?" The receptionist, Jisoo stood next to ShinAe. 

Straightening herself, ShinAe nodded. "Y-yeah, I'm alright. What do you need me to do?" 

Jisoo pointed to the landline phone. "Line 2 for you. Room 26's family." She was about to take a step away, but stopped in her place and turned to ShinAe again. "Do you need a drink? Or a snack, ShinAe?"

ShinAe declined. "No need, jisoo. Thank you for the offer." Jisoo smiled and left, not looking very convinced. 

ShinAe answered the phone call. After doing so, she started on her medications round. She had to keep herself occupied. The moment she is left with her thoughts, ShinAe started to dwell on Jaehyun. It has been four days since the restaurant incident. Four days since she contacted him. He hasn't contacted her since and she doesn't blame him. She did just up and left on Saturday without an explanation. She didn't have the heart to explain to him why she left, nor did she know how to.
 

Opening the folder of her last patient for the medication round , she sighed looking at the medication.* Morphine. Taehee is really on morphine. She's really palliative now. * Taehee's biopsy result returned and showed that her tumor waa maglinant. Due to her age and the aggressive nature of the cancer, the family and Taehee, herself had opted out of getting treatment and decided on symptom management. Taehee wanted to be kept comfortable and pain free. 

When ShinAe was new to the nursing, she did not understand why certain patients did not proceed with treatment when it was available.  As she progressed into her career, she saw the importance of autonomy and nonmaleficence. Sometimes, trying to keep someone alive does them more harm than good. Patients are self governed and can make decisions for themselves. She may not always agree with the choices but it is their choice and she respected it.

ShinAe approached her partner and went to sign out the morphine. Preparing the syringe of the morphine and the saline flush, both her and her partner exited the medication room. Knocking on Taehee's door, a voice signalled for them to enter. Sliding the door open, ShinAe and her partner walked in and was greeted by the sight of Taehee's daughter sitting by the resting Taehee. 

"Hello, we have Taehee's regular morphine." ShinAe politely stated. 

"Oh perfect." Taehee's daughter smiled. "I'll just be outside. I'll let you do what you need to." She stood up and left the room. 

ShinAe approached the side of Taehee's bed and crouched to see her better. "Taehee, I have you regular pain relief." She softly informed. 

Taehee weakly opened her eyes and stared at ShinAe. She gave her a small smile and nodded her head. ShinAe and her coworker proceeded to do their bedside checks before administering the injection. After doing so, they repositioned her in bed to prevent her from developing pressure sores. 

"Thank you Taehee. Please press the call bell if you need anything. We will call you daughter back in." ShinAe's partner said. As they turned to leave, Taehee called out with a restrained voice. " ShinAe." 

ShinAe stopped in her place and looked back. Taehee was beckoning her over with a light wave of her hand. ShinAe gestured for her coworker to go on ahead. 

"Yes, Taehee?" She came back to her side. 

"What's wrong, ShinAe?" Taehee asked with sad eyes. ShinAe tilted her head in confusion from the sudden question. 

"Your smile doesn't reach your eyes like they usually do. Your eyes usually shine bright but today they're... different." Taehee continued - her hand extended out and brushed ShinAe's temples. 

ShinAe held onto Taehee's hand. "I'm just a little tired. I'll be alright." She placed Taehee's hand back on the bed. "Get some rest, Taehee. Call me if you need anything" ShinAe gave her a warm and comforting smile. 

 

 

-    -    -    -

 

 

Changing out of her scrubs, ShinAe shut her locker. Folding her scrubs, she made her way to the laundry skip to put it in. Just as she was about to drop it in, a hand reach out to stop her. 

"Before I let you do that, I need to ask you a question. " Heesun tilted her head and came into ShinAe's field of vision.

"Spill." 

"Come to eat with us. All of us did overtime today and it would be nice if we all got together to eat." Heesun tried to convince ShinAe. 

ShinAe playfully rolled her eyes and retorted in a-matter-of-fact tone. "That's not a question, Heesun. It's a demand."

"That's beside the point, ShinAe. Eat out with us. We haven't done this in so long. " Heesun begged while shaking ShinAe's arm. 

Letting a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter