021

It's Okay to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

(Taeyeon - All About You) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHEOj3d7YS4

 

Jaehyun hasn't been coping very well. It has been a long agonisng week since the last time he saw ShinAe. He would be at work but his head would be up in the clouds, amongst the storm. Jaehyun would forget to eat and when he does eat, he ended up getting a stomachache. He was in shambles.

Tonight, he drove around to distract his mind from her, but unknowingly arrived at her place. Parking his car in front, he slumped back into his seat.  *What are you doing? Are you crazy?* Why are you here?* Leaning forward, his forehead rested on his hands, which were gripping the steering wheel tightly. Jaehyun understood what ShinAe meant by being vulnerable for love, because that's how he felt at that moment. Guardless and left out in the open. 

Jaehyun sat in the car hestitating to come out. *ShinAe, how do I get over you?* With the thought of her entering his mind, he felt the air in the car become stuffy and humid. Jaehyun couldn't stand being in his car anymore and exited the car for some fresh air. Resting his back against his car, Jaehyun let his eyes run up the apartment tower. Reality consumes him and he realised that at that moment, it was the closest he has been to her in the past week. He missed her dearly and was struggling to act like he wasn't hurting inside. *I hope you're not hurting as much as me, ShinAe. I'd rather I suffer than you.* 

The last thing Jaehyun expected was to see ShinAe running out at 12am. As she tripped on the last step, Jaehyun immediately dived forward and caught her. 

ShinAe lifted her head and stared up at him. "Jaehyun?" ShinAe wanted to reach up and rub her eyes. Was she dreaming? Did she miss him so much that she was hallucinating? 

"ShinAe." Jaehyun called her name. His eyes searched her face. He was in disbelief. She was really infront of him, in his arm. It took him so much energy and will power to stop himself from pulling her into an embrace. 

Once his voice reached her ears, ShinAe almost crumbled. She had missed him so much. So much more than she thought. ShinAe eyes dropped and she stared at the ground. "I have somewhere I need to go."

"Where?" Jaehyun was still holding her.   

"Busan." Her words were short. 

"At this time?" , "It's an emergency" She answered and started to pull away from Jaehyun. "I need to head off now." ShinAe turned away to leave.

Watching her take a step away from him, Jaehyun instinctively reached out to hold her wrist. Feeing his hand around her wrist, she stopped in her place and turned back to him. "I'll take you." Jaehyun offered. 

"N-no need." ShinAe was bewildered by his offer. She felt her heartbeat increase from his touch and offer. 

Jaehyun took a step towards her and searched her eyes. Oh, how much he has missed those deep brown eyes. "How are you planning to get there tonight, ShinAe?" He questioned her, not in interrogation but in concern. 

Tearing her eyes away from him, she dropped her gaze. "I dont know. A taxi? I'll find a way.." Embarassed about her impulsiveness and lack of planning, ShinAe couldn't met his eyes.  Silence hung in the air for a few seconds before Jaehyun shifted and moved closer to her. He held her hand and gently tugged her arm in the direction of his car. "Come, ShinAe. I'll take you." He opened the car door and waited for her to get in. 

"It's far, Jaehyun." ShinAe tried to reason with him, not outright denying his offer. 

"It doesn't bother me." Jaehyun instantly answered. "I insist, ShinAe. Please let me take you." He reassured her. *Please let me help you. I won't be able to rest easy, knowing you'll be on your own this late at night.* 

ShinAe glanced at him before taking a step towards the car. "Thank you, Jaehyun" She whispered while entering the car. She didn't want to admit it, but relief washed over her at the thought of Jaehyun taking her there. Jaehyun shut the door and came around to the driver's seat. Once seated, Jaehyun twisted himself to face her.  "What's the destination?" ,"..Busan St Mary Hospital,"ShinAe started to play with the bag strap. She hoped he didn't question why she was going there. ShinAe doesn't know if she's ready to share with anyone new about her mother. The last time she told someone, they ended up pitying her and her mother. She shared because her mother is an important aspect of her life and she wanted to share with someone important. ShinAe didn't want to be pitied.

Jaehyun paused for a second before wordlessly enter the destination into his car navigation. He faced her and was supposed to steal a quick glance but his eyes lingered on her. ShinAe didn't notice and had her eyes directed to the front. A soft smile appeared on his face and he leaned over her. *Something must be really bothering her, if she's forgetting to put on her seatbelt.* Jaehyun grasped the seatbelt. Moving back to pull it over her, he stopped infront of her.  

"You forgot your seat belt." He whispered. 

"S-sorry." ShinAe apologised while holding her breath. 

Jaehyun secured the seat belt and came back to his side. Driving out from her apartment, they started their journey to Busan. ShinAe would occasionally stare at Jaehyun, but forced herself to look away. She directed her attention to the scenery outside. Without realising it, she started to doze off into a slumber. One that she has been struggling to have in the past week. 

Speeding down the freeway, Jaehyun was about to press on the button to have the windows winded down but he stopped. He checked on ShinAe and she looked comfortable. He withdrew his hand and placed it back on the steering wheel.  After a 4 hour drive, they arrived at Busan's city centre. Driving about 15 minutes from the city centre, Jaehyun's car came to a halt in front of the hospital. Luckily, thanks to the ungodly hour, they could park there. 

Jaehyun exited the car and came around to her side. Opening the door, Jaehyun halted in his place and warmly gazed at her sleeping figure. In a daze, he extended his hand to her face but paused just before his fingertips grazed her cheek. Jaehyun blinked rapidly before moving his hand to her shoulder. 

"ShinAe", He lightly shook her shoulder. 

ShinAe's eyes slowly fluttered open and darted around. Her eyes landed on Jaehyun and she had the urge to reach up to pinch herself. She forgot she was with him.

"We've arrived." Jaehyun took a step back and held the door for her.

Climbing out, she straighted and smoothed her creased clothes. "Thank you."

"I'll be here waiting." Jaehyun informed her. She was about to open to protest, but Jaehyun stopped her. "Go in and do what you need to do first, ShinAe. I'll wait for you." 

ShinAe biting her lip, she nodded her head. She turned her heel and walked through the sliding doors of the hospital. Walking towards the front desk, ShinAe made sure she was out of his sight before turning back to look at the door. *Why did you let him,ShinAe? Why did you get selfish?* ShinAe pushed her hair back with her hand. She knew she shouldn't do this, but she got selfish and let him take her. She wanted to be near him. 

Jaehyun leaned against his car with his arms crossed. He shut his eyes for a few minutes. Although the road was clear, driving for 4 hours straight was straining. He then heard footsteps approach him and he instantly straightened up to look ahead. ShinAe approached him with her head lowered and her arms wrapped around herself. *At least she's not stuck in the emergency department.*

"Kim Minjung will be admitted to the General Ward." The receptionist was reading from her computer. "Unfortunately, we are unable to allow you to visit as it is outside the visiting hours. I understand it was a late admission but it is hospital policy. Sorry ma'am."

As much as ShinAe did not like what she was hearing, she understood the rules. "I understand. Thank you for your help. I'll return tomorrow to visit." ShinAe politely smiled. 

She spun around and her smile dropped. ShinAe could only let out a heavy sigh and hope for the morning to come faster. 

ShinAe's head immediately lifted upon feeling something rest on her shoulders. Turning her head, she saw Jaehyun retract his arms back to his side.

"It's cold tonight." Jaehyun reasoned. 

"Thank you, Jaehyun." Bringing her hand up, she tugged on the clothing hoping for the warm to engulf her quicker. 

Feeling like she owed him an explanation about her quick return, she stated. "I have to come back tomorrow to visit. I'll just stay here tonight." ShinAe diverted her eyes to the floor. "Thank you for driving me. I'll just take my bag and you can be on your way."

"Where are you planning to stay?" He wondered about where she was staying the night. 

ShinAe shrugged her shoulders. "Not sure. I'll find a place."

"It's late, ShinAe. There's barely anyone around." His eyebrows furrowed with her casual reply. 

"I'll be fine. I'm sure I'll find a taxi and find a place to stay." ShinAe reassured.

Jaehyun sighed at her stubborness, but didn't back down in defeat. "I know a place. It will save you the trouble of going around." 

 

 

-    -    -    -

 

 

Sauntering into the building, ShinAe trailed behind Jaehyun. Her head did turns as it allowed her eyes to admire every corner of the interior. Jaehyun arrived at the reception. 

"Welcome, to Park Hyatt. How may I help you?" The male behind the counter greeted. 

"Hello, do you have any rooms available tonight?" Jaehyun asked before twisting his head to see where ShinAe was. She was standing next to him and was flipping through the brochures.

The receptionist smiled. "I will check for you." After a few minutes the receptionist said, "Yes, we do have one Park King room available." 

Pulling out his wallet, Jaehyun pulled out two cards - one was his credit card and the other was ship card for World of Hyatt. He was about to hand it to the staff when ShinAe's hand stopped him.  "Jaehyun, what are you doing?" 

Turning his body to face her, he answered. "Booking a room for you." 

"I appreciate that, but I can pay for myself." ShinAe started to reach into her bag for her wallet. While she was doing that, Jaehyun handed the card to the staff. "Two nights for now."  The staff nodded his head and began to process the booking. 

Finally retrieving her wallet, ShinAe was about to hand her card to the staff, but she was greeted by the sight of the staff giving the key card to Jaehyun. Jaehyun wordlessly placed the key card into her hand, "Go get some rest, ShinAe. I'll see you in the morning." He patted her hand that was now holding the card. 

"M-morning ?" Stuttering, she blinked at his words. "What do you mean?" 

"I'm not going back to Seoul. I'll take you to the hospital tomorrow." Jaehyun straighted himself and was about to leave. 

ShinAe grabbed onto his arm to stop him. "There's no need, Jaehyun."

Not giving her an answer, Jaehyun gave her a small smile and pulled away from her grip. ShinAe was quick and held onto it again. "W-where are you going?", "Back to my car." 

"Car? You should stay here, not me." ShinAe pushed the key card towards him. 

Hold

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter