Personal Assistant

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung

 

"I heard a lot about you while I'm not here Chaeyoung" The old man hinted as he lounged over his office chair. My eyes stayed fixed over his face, still smouldering underneath his stony expression. His rages seem pointless to me, although I never say so. Disappointment and anger carved on the map of wrinkles on his face. The old man was swimming in the tidewater of his sixth decade. He was weary, mean and cranky and surprisingly agile for his age. Something that I hoped not. Even if he died in front of me, due to a or heart attack, I doubt that I even cared. He was once a man I feared the most, but no longer now.
 

 

"I've changed" I lied, in fact, I never did or wanted to. The eyes that stared back to me were red and dark as if he was swallowing me whole just by the gaze. I had my hands tightly clasped on my back as I stood across him separated by his office desk. I was glad the table existed, creating distance between us. I could feel blood filling my mouth as I continued gnawing the inside of my cheeks, staring intently to the glassy nameplate in front wrote 'Son Min Ki, CEO. Son Enterprise' The only thing I desired in my life. His position.
 

 

My eyes twitched as I caught his movement. The old man took the walking cane beside him--not that he actually needed it--and walked around the table then to the nearest shelf where his achievements and trophy were neatly showed case, also something else. My stomach knotted up, I felt nausea. At the edge of the shelf was a Kendo armour along with a wooden sword, Shinai. Adrenaline suddenly floods my system, It pumped and beat like I was trying to escape, I wanted to escape.
 

 

He took the helmet and threw it to me, the force was enough to take my breath away as it met my stomach. I unconsciously crouched in pain, biting my lips. He knew it, he knew my weakness. I inhaled before standing up, gripping the helmet tightly, my knuckles might have turned white.
 

 

"Wear it" He ordered and put down his walking cane. See, he never needed it. It was only a facade to fool everyone to portrayed that he was a weak, kind, generous old man and meant no harm to anyone. What joke. "I said, wear it" He spat, grabbing the Shinai and walked to me.
 

 

Without any complaint, I wore it. I knew what was coming, hadn't been receiving it for months. Though I'm used to the punishment, somehow, it always ripped my gut when I had to face it, like what happened now. I closed my eyes, a few seconds later a powerful went through my head, felt as if my skeleton had split into two, then another and another.
 

 

I took off the helmet and spouted blood from the overflowed red liquid soaking my tongue. I stayed on the ground, one hand rest against my bent right knee close to my chest. Bruised and winded, my vision wasn't clear, hell I can't even open my left eye due to the heavy lump of a bruise. I didn't know whether it was blood or sweat that was dripping from my forehead to my lips then to my chin, I guessed it mixed together. I wondered how I didn't pass out.
 

 

"I did my job well. Working hard. Two billions. I brought two billions this year. Isn't that enough?" I asked, defeated. Lifting my head as I watched the old man wiping his sweat with his handkerchief while fixing his dark velvet vest. I smirked, it must take him a whole lot of energy, considering he was aged now, maybe that was why the hit wasn't as strong as before.
 

 

"Your stepsister brought four billions" He snapped, piercing me with his gaze.
 

 

I gritted my teeth and stood up "That's because she backstabbed me and stole my client. The project idea was mine!" I rebuked and took a step towards him, I could felt my vein almost popping in my temple while my fists tightly clenched. The old man stayed right where he was. Not even for a second, his hand cracked across my face, snapping it back with the force of his blow and causing my head to reel sickeningly as it slammed into the pole behind me.
 

 

"It was you who late at the client meeting, if it not because of her, we would lose the deal. It was your own mistakes" He pointed a finger at me. I was still regaining myself as I leaned against the pole, shaking my head when a ringing high pitched sound attacked my ears. He suddenly pulled my tie, forcing my head to face him.
 

 

"I won't tolerate with a tyrant at day and playgirl at night. Don't be such a disgrace to the family, turning to be like your useless father. My blood runs in you, but I see you had more of your father's traits than mine. I'm fully aware of how many girls out there you've played. Devoted yourself to someone. A week, I give you a week to change yourself Son Chaeyoung. I had sent your father away, what's so hard with my grandchild" He let go of his grip, and as if my soul had been out, I fell on the floor with a loud thud, only for him to huffed then step over me.
 

 

I laid there, unmoving. It was always this place, his dark office, the one I despise the most. My mind went into flashed of horrible memories that I painfully wanted to delete, yet it kept haunting me when I'm in my greatest vulnerable state. When it had become nonsense and heavier than I could lift, I shut my eyes and welcome the blackness, sending me into a dreamless sleep.
 

 

A minute. The sleep felt just like a minute when I had aroused from my deep slumber. I am first aware of the coolness of the air. I'm not drunk, yet I felt the hungover sensation all over my body as if I was thrown into a washing machine, my head spinning like I was trapped in Katrina hurricane. I must have hit my head hard on the pole. When the pain had subsided, I walked out of the room, winched when my eyes finally met the light from outside. I glanced at my wristwatch, two o'clock in the evening. Exactly two hours from when I had left my office to come here.
 

 

The old man's secretary looked at me as if she just saw a ghost. Her face painted white as she jogged towards me. "Oh My God!! Are you okay Miss Son!? your head is bleeding and your face! God" She frantically yelled with worry and had dug out her phone from her tulip blue skirts. I had predicted, she was trying to ring my driver to bring me to the hospital but I stopped her from doing so.
 

 

"I'm fine. Thank you for your concern, Jihyo-sii" I said and walked to the elevator. I was still thinking about what the old man had told. He was threatening me, knowing how much I wanted the company. Enjoying the rivalry of me and my sister fighting each other to prove ourselves worthy the position. My fingers curled tightly until my nails were hurting my palm, I could imagine the man's neck-snapping in my mind and it felt good. I could feel my fist smashing into his nose, splattering red blood on the dirty walls. I wished I could've done that.
 

 

I strode into my office, slamming the door behind me. My assistant looked up, startled, a half-eaten sandwich in her hands. The face she gave me was a hint of shocked when our eyes met, but her brown orbs soon travelled around my face, drawing another expression on her feature, something undecsribeable, a dulled-sickening face. She must be laughing at me inside her mind. I clenched my fist to the thought and to the sight of her. She had just added the final mento to the coke inside of me.
 

 

"What did I told you about eating in my office!!" I exploded in anger.

 

She scrambled to her feet, hands gripping the sandwich as she blinked at me "I-I'm sorry." She stuttered. "You were out...and I was working on your schedule, so--so I thou---"
 

 

"Well, whatever you're thinking...." I walked towards her, reaching across her desk and set a finger on her shoulder, giving it as push "....is wrong" She staggered backwards, almost losing balance but managed to get a hold from the edge of her desk and step forwards back to her position. I huffed and noticed the sandwich that was still in her hand, I snatched it from her grasp, sneering at the fillers.
 

 

"Strawberry jam, that's it?" I lifted it right in front of her face, her cheeks heated up in embarrassment or might be in a suppressed rage. My brows arc when the jam dripped down into her white blouse, I sigh and threw the offending sandwich into the trash bin. "That is the ugliest top I've ever seen, yet suits you perfectly. Can't you afford something real?" I asked, slipping my hands into my pockets. Her head stayed bowed and I scoffed at the silent response.
 

 

"Get me a sandwich, a proper sandwich and mocha--no whip--nonfat--quad-- with one pump. I want Chou Tzuyu on the phone now" I snapped as she stood still, gawking at me. "Are you deaf?" I continued, stopping my way.
 

 

"N-no, which one you would like me to do first?" She hesitated.
 

 

I rubbed my face in annoyance, hissing when I touched the cut on my forehead and nose bridge "That's not my concern! Use that empty shell of your mind and figure it out!" I walked away and slammed my office door. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to control my temper. She really had a tremendous way to make my day worse than it already is. I ambled to the leather sofa and slumped myself. My head throbbed, so I leaned my head against the armrest. Squeezing my eyes shut, willing the pain to go away. 
 

 

A few minutes later, a knock came quietly and then there was silence. A fact about headache is, you were sensitive with noise, I could even catch people huddled at the wall furthest from the door, the series of audible frequencies coming from the fax machine, murmuring, the clicking sound from stapling hand paper. I fluttered my eyes open with my hand still messaging my temple, staring at the door. Soon, another knock covered the background sound. I had no energy to shout as the door was about fifteen feet away. I waited for her to pushed the door ajar and peek her head inside, when she did, I motioned my hand, allowing her to enter.
 

 

The door creaked open and she tripped in---literally, face meeting the floor. I didn't bother to secretly roll my eyes in disgust. I had never met anyone as careless and clumsy as her, she tripped over nothing as if the gravity worked differently in her world. I caught the sight of the paperback and cup, untouched and perfectly safe in her right hand. She had purposely lifted her right hand when he fell, protecting it from the impact because she knew better, if she spilt the cup, her life will be over.
 

 

I groaned and forced to wait as she stumbled to her feet, pick up her notebook, pen, and another white paperback. Her face was flushed pink and her hand shook. Sometimes, I cannot stop wondering if she was retarded.
 

 

"I got your mocha and sandwich" She placed the brown paperback on the table and stood straight up "And I had Miss Chou inline-four for you"
 

 

I pushed myself to stand and shoved her away as she was standing stupidly between the table and the single couch, giving me no space. I gave no damn care whatsoever of her whimpered and proceed to the intercom buzzing on my office desk. I picked up the phone, "Tzuyu, let's meet"
 

 

[I'm fine, thank you for asking, mate]
 

 

I ignored her sarcasm "When are you available?"
 

 

[Welp, no schedule at seven]
 

 

"Right, my usual table in Golden Mug." I hung up, and sat on my swivel leather chair, watching my assistant staring at me in confusion. I gestured my hand. Understood, she fastly took the cup and brown paper back and walk with a short and quick step. That weird way of walking with her feet pointed outwards. She must be a fan of Penguin of Madagascar because she walked like one, that or she must be abnormal in some way. She carefully set the thing on my table along with a white paperback, that I had no idea what the content was. "What's that?" I asked, pointing a finger to the bag.
 

 

"Medicine" She mumbled.
 

 

I scoffed and shook my head in disbelief. This woman had her brain upside down, I supposed. "My table on Golden Mug, Seven sharp. Book it" She nodded her head and stood still. I took out the sandwich and start devouring, my stomach screamed to be filled. I haven't eaten anything since breakfast. I siped my mocha--she got it right--and tossed the paperback in the trash bin as I had finished my second sandwiches, a tuna and caper spread with lettuce, hundreds of time better than a freaking cheap watery strawberry jam.
 

 

"Why are you still here?" I asked when I finally realized her presence, like a statue meters away from me. We stared at each other, more like an awkward and judging gaze before she dropped her eyes. I raised a brow and smirked. I won. Ha!
 

 

"You didn't dismiss me, Miss Son" She uttered and lifted her head. Oh yeah, I forgot. Once I almost throw my file on her when she turned around while I'm still not done talking. She was so lucky, I had no idea what stopped me that day. I stared at her boringly, a red stain of strawberry jam shading her white blouse that I predicted was bought in Walmart or Target, it can't be more than that. I waved my hand and she bowed before turning around to leave, when her movement halt as she faced me again, my expression deadly whispered to her that whatever she wanted to say, it had to be important. I'm so done with her today.
 

 

"Miss Son, I have an appointment and have to leave at five. I sent you an email about it last week?"
 

 

I sighed and sunk against my chair, tapping my fingers on my desk as I observed her. My assistant----Myoui Mina---the core of my everyday misery. I had done everything to get rid of her, but luck never on my side.
 

 

No matter what duty I gave her, she accomplished it. Every unreasonable chore she handled without complaint and even perfectly. Pick up my ordered suit? Done. Make sure my private washroom was stocked with my favourite brands of toiletries? Without fail. Alphabetize and clean my enormous vinyl and Music Memorabilia after I decided to bring them into the office? Completed---she even boxed up every CD neatly and labelled it when I "changed my mind" and had them delivered back home. Not a word ever passed her lips. Send bouquets and a clear goodbye message to whomever I had dumped that month or week or day? Yup.
 

 

She was at the office every day---never late, precisely on time. She rarely left the office unless it was to do an errand for me or scurried to the break room to eat one of her absurd brought-from-home sandwiches since I restricted her to eat at her desk. She kept my calendar and contacts in perfect order, my files done in the exact colour-coding I preferred, and filtered my calls, making sure my long-forgotten exes didn't bother me. Through the talk of people, I knew everyone cherished her, she treated people with kindness, appreciating them by remembering their birthday, no one is left out from her calendar reminder on her desk. She'd baked the most delicious cookies packed in a small white transparent plastic and shared it with her colleague. Proved to be remarkably, forbearing whenever I was impatient and angry. And most importantly, she was favoured by the Chairman. A woman with total perfection.





 

I despised her.
 

 

She was everything I hated in a woman. Small and fragile, with common black hair and brown boring eyes, she wore simple clothes, blouse, and skirt with a mule that had been snitched countless times to made it presentable but not escaping my watch—neat, tidy, but thoroughly shabby. She didn't seem to put any effort in styling her hair, always letting it layer-free shoulder-length---good thing her hair was smooth, she wore no jewellery, and from what I perceived, no makeup. She was plain and had zero appeal, not even enough self-respect to do anything about it. Lowly and meek, she was easy to step on. She never fought for herself, obediently accepted whatever I threw to her and never reacted negatively. I liked my women tough and spirited, not a namby-pamby softie softy weak mortal soul wuss penguin doormat like Miss Myoui.


 

However, I was pinned with her.
 

 

"Right, I hope this will be the last time Miss Myoui" I scolded. For a second, I thought I caught her eyes sparked flame but as if a tsunami had suddenly hit, it disappeared the second later.
 

 

She simply nodded. "You have three o'clock conference in the sales department and a board meeting at quarter past five" She edged the neatly arranged files on the corner of my desk "I have prepares all the essential notes for you to review"
 

 

As usual, she was good at her work, which made me loathed her more and more. I took a fountain pen and pull the cap off "Do me some favour, Miss Myoui" I flatly said and grabbed a white paper from my drawer, sliding it towards her with the pen on top.
 

 

"Yes?" She asked.
 

 

"Write your resignation letter" I whispered, almost mouthing. She stared at me then to the paper, back to me. She ended up bowed her head, I snickered "You may leave" I crumpled the paper in irritation and casted it away.
 

 

She paused at the door "Good evening, Miss Son"

 

 

I didn't bother to reply.








 

*  *  *  *

Tzuyu sipped her coffee, examining me. "Mate, you look horrible" She stated the obvious. My face did mess up, great purple welts that will only deepen over the coming week. Against my ghostly skin, they are grotesque, but I know I am lucky not to have broken bones. I wore back my black glasses to cover my eyes and had a beanie for the bandages around my forehead. I used the medicine Miss Myoui gave, though I hated to, I had no choice.
 

 

"Your grandpa is still kicking. I expected this will happened when he came back from Hawaii, but not this bad. Guessed he can no longer take your " Tzuyu clicked her tongue while shaking her head in disapproval.
 

 

"What ?" I asked mindlessly, listening to the clinking sound of my spoon striking the mug's sides as I stirred my coffee. I heard a light pretended gasps and glanced at Tzuyu clutching her chest then glared at me with a defeated expression.
 

 

"Mate, you're a good worker but you need to remember that your stepsister is everyone's role model. And there you are, playing with girls every day and night, losing your temper to your colleague. Your reputation is well known" She pointed her spoon to me as if I was a suspect in a court trial while she was the judge. I intended to slap her hand away but she pulled it before I could. She laughed. "Everyone wanted a kind and morally good leader, and your stepsister matched all the criteria" She raised a brow before sipping her coffee.
 

 

"I know that. You don't have to remind me. Damn if it's not because of that girl who clung at me, I wouldn't be late at the meeting" I sigh, recalling that day I hooked up with a girl in a bar and how she kept clutching into me. My stepsister. She is just an intruder. Uninvited presence. My hatred and enmity towards her welled up in my heart, fury itself burning me up. I glanced to my left hand, recalling how it used to paint over the canvas and move instinctively to the right spot, building a new picture. I gritted my teeth.
 

 

As my mind wandered back to the Chairman's request, I groaned. "That old man gives me a week to devote myself to someone and changed, if I don't, he'll kick me out. I don't even know what it meant. What's the connection with me having someone and the position I aimed too?"
 

 

Tzuyu leaned in, her elbow rested on the table as she placed her chin on both her hands "Of course, your grandpa wanted you to commit yourself to someone and not just flirting around like a lost cat. You  couldn't expect him to trust a tyrant to take care of his company, do you? And it was also for your image, to prove it to others--- shareholders, clients, investors---that you've changed. So, they believe in you and be on your side." She shrugged and asked for another coffee from the waitress before she continued "After all, you're the only 'pure' Son left, deep down I bet your grandpa wanted it to be you who handle the company, he cannot survives another ten years, that old man, that's why he rushes things"
 

 

"So, you're saying....." I frowned.
 

 

"Find yourself, someone, I mean a girl cuz I know you're full of rainbow and unicorn." She smirked, showing her dimple "It doesn't have to be real, up until you're officially named as the heir. Keep it secret from your grandpa and the shareholders. You wanted the company right? And ya know, might as well convince the old man that you deserve the title" She took another last sip of her first coffee while another hot mug that she just ordered earlier left unbothered.

 

 

We fell in silence as I considered what she had said, it was not entirely wrong, a good idea even. I averted my head to the counter and grinned as I watched a waitress dressed in a black vest with a red bow tie and bob hair. Not my type, but I knew who interested. As far as I remembered, Chou Tzuyu, my best friend and also our finance director were born straight, not until now, I guessed. "Perhaps, I'm not the only one who fancy rainbow and unicorn huh? You've been eyeing the girl since we came and even asked for another coffee that you don't even drink." Tzuyu shot me a glare. I used to be afraid of it when we were still kids but Nah, she just a big moody baby, not threatening at all.
 

 

I stood and wore my navy coat, "She's a new girl. Eunha is her name by the way. Thought you might want to know" I winked and left the place.








 

*  *  *  *

The whole damn morning, all I could think was Tzuyu's offer. If the old man wanted me to have a girlfriend, he'll get it. It wouldn't be that hard considering I was an ideal woman. The root of the problem is the girlfriend. I had lots of women in my life, I could pick one, but it was the matter of my career. I will be with this girlfriend for God who knows how long, I need someone who's reflecting me. Attractive but secretive, cold and smart and not interested in anything except what I could give---money, expensive gifts, daily flowers, and if it was longer than I expected, maybe on a vacation before I ditched them. As for me, I cared for what they could give, it wouldn't be much, just a warm body to feel, pretty to look at and maybe a few hours of pleasure.
 

 

A knock so quite, cut my train of thought. There stood Miss Myoui waiting until I shouted at her to enter. She walked in with a tray and set it on my desk. I stared at the food in front of me; pancakes with honey and banana while next to it is an orange juice. I sighed and lifted my head "I asked for a coffee"
 

 

"I thought you might want to save it for later and have the juice instead. Your stomach hurt if you drink coffee in the morning"
 

 

I groaned, hating the fact that she was right. I stood up and grab my coat, wearing it as I trodded to her side "I just lost my appetite, thanks to someone. Just so you know, I don't have a nice sleep yesterday and thought the coffee might awaken me. If I did any mistakes in the meeting, you're the one to blame" I hissed and stormed out of my office.
 

 

There were invisible jail bars here. These bars held me with twenty others, while the chairman's end chair blocked the door. That old man looked so fine today. This room reached an all-time level of boredom since it started. Meanwhile, I was struggling to stay awake. My eyelids drooped and there was a slight lolling to my head, drunk with fatigue after freaking insomnia and headache last night. Tzuyu, across the boardroom table saw the agony in my eyes and mouthed "Do you eat your medicine?" I nodded ever so slowly. Every time I made eye contact with Tzuyu, it was a reflection of my own urgent need for freedom. And finally, the torment was over after what felt like an eternity. I rushed to the nearest washroom and spread water all over my face, enough to wake me up. Damn Myoui, If I had my coffee, I might not be this dizzy.
 

 

I strode to my office while wiping my face with a handkerchief, stopping at the sight of Tzuyu sitting on the edge of Miss Myoui's desk, laughing and talking as if they were couples. I cringed myself by the view. They both looked up when I came in, Miss Myoui straightened her position and took a step backwards as she bowed while Tzuyu hopped down from her desk and swung an arm around my neck. I brushed it off and demanded, "What are you doing here Tzu?" I turned my gaze to Miss Myoui, raising a brow "And why didn't you tell me someone is here?"
 

 

Tzuyu took a step backwards and move as he stood in between Miss Myoui and me, raising both her arms in surrender. "It was not her fault. I just came here. Mina offered me tea and I enjoyed her company than I will ever be with you. To be fair, she is more beautiful and more charming than you do. Your lame jokes aren't bringing you anywhere mate" She chuckled, emphasizing the 'more' as if she was downgrading me.
 

 

Miss Myoui? Beautiful and charming. Don't be ridiculous, her life or even her herself, might not even worth a dollar. And what the with that Mina ?
 

 

I scoffed and walked away "My office, Tzu" She followed in and shut the door. I rested on the couch while crossing my legs, head still buzzing. "I thought you have your girl Tzu, the waitress?" I asked softly, massaging my head.
 

 

"Well, I came here just to check on you. You look sick in the meeting room but found much more interesting things. Why? do have something for your assistant?" She asked teasingly.
 

 

I grinned at the thought of me and Miss Myoui together. "I'll tell you what. She's not worth it. You're too good Tzu. I don't want my friend ended up marrying a scarecrow"
 

 

"Mate, you're an ." She straightforwardly said.
 

 

I shrugged. Geez, this stupid headache is killing me. I heard a rustling sound and opened my eyes, Tzuyu stood up and buttoned her jacket. "About the idea of you taking full authority of this company, the first thing you have to do is change your attitudes. At least in front of others. I've met your grandpa before I came here. I told him, despite the rumors, your personality had changed. And there's no need for him to demand you to find someone because you already in love. Now, thanks me for that."
 

 

"He believed that?"
 

 

Tzuyu smoothed the crease of her pants with her fingertips, meeting my gaze. "He did. I'm one of his trusted person and this is the first time I ever lied to him for your sake. As a friend, this is the only thing I can do to help." She gave a soft smile and continued, "As for the woman, you better be quick. It has to be someone more down-to-earth, warm, and caring. Real."
 

 

She threw a look at my office door and smiled "That assistant of yours is a good girl. It's your grandpa who employed her, his favourite workers. And I can see why, you'll hardly find anyone who doesn't like her or even none, of course except you. She's great at her job. A lot of people and even our client admired her. To me, she's perfect. Might be someone you wanted to be close with. Very close with." She winked and made a beeline towards the door.
 

 

"I supposed, Miss Myoui isn't married," She asked as I nodded to her obvious question. She hummed and smiled. "That's good"
 

 

"What are you pertaining to" I leaned forwards, those stinging pain I felt just now were forgotten as I had my full attention on what Tzuyu trying to deliver.
 

 

"Figure it out" She gave me one last evil smirk before walking away, leaving me hanging. From the ajar door, I could see her telling something to Miss Myoui that caused the brunette to laugh. It was uncommon, no never. I never heard Miss Myoui laugh before not until today. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. The small giggles only added fuel to the flame inside of me. I noticed a coffee cup on the table and quaffed it all, some spilt into my white sleeves shirt.
 

 

'What does that even mean?'
 

 

A thought came across my mind, an absurd thought, one that I never in a million years thinks of. I glanced at the door and caught the sight of Miss Myoui reviewing some files while taking notes. She tucked some escaped strands of hair behind her ear, focusing on her works.
 

 

You can't be serious, Tzu.
 

 

I groaned and cursed, letting go of the empty cup. Tzuyu was totally serious.

 

 

my life.













 

  - to be continued-
___________________________________

✒Jun Kudo