Cabin Breakdown

The Last Summer of the Boys

"Sicheng Sicheng!" The five to sevens yelled as soon as Sicheng walked into the dining hall. The weren't wearing their usual excited smiles; instead they wore worried frowns and furrowed brows. Oh no. 

Sicheng walked over to them. "How's it going today? What's wrong?" 

"Last night our cabin broke!" One of the youngest said loudly. 

"What do you mean?" 

"The shelf fell down! A-and the roof did too!"

"Which cabin, A1 or A2?" 

"Both!" The kids yelled simoultaneously. 

"Both?" 

"Yeah!" 

"In my cabin the bar holding the mattress fell down!" 

"Oh my...Did any of you get an owie?" Sicheng asked, and to his relief all the campers shook their heads."Well, we'll get that taken care of right away. Let me go talk to director Doyoung and director Jaehyun." Hiding his frightened expression from the kids, he ran over to the camp directors. "My campers say their cabins completely fell apart last night." 

Doyoung and Jaehyun shared a grimace. "Were any of them hurt?" 

"No, thank god. But they're a bit freaked out." 

"," Doyoung mouthed so none of the campers heard. "This camp is a liability in itself. It's a wonder they've never been sued."

"Right?" Jaehyun added. "Which cabin was it?" 

"Both." 

"Holy ," Jaehyun mouthed, and he and Doyoung shared a look. "We'll need to fix that right away. We'll send maintenance to do that. We can take your campers up to the office and let them watch a movie, something chill to distract them. Could you help out maintenance?" 

"Of course," Sicheng answered, his worry for his campers momentarily clouded by the fact that he could hang out with Yuta today. 

"Alright, go eat. Don't worry about it," Jaehyun said, patting Sicheng's shoulder. Sicheng smiled and went back over to his campers, excitement growing for the coming day. 

~~~~~~~~~~

After breakfast, Doyoung and Jaehyun had taken the kids away, leaving Taeyong, Ten, Yuta, and Sicheng to figure out what to do about the camp. They had divided up the cabins, Yuta and Sicheng fixing A1 and Taeyong and Ten fixing A2, and they headed over right away. If the cabins weren't fixed before bed time, things would be a disaster. 

By the time Sicheng and Yuta got to A1 the sun was already high in the sky, heating up the cabin until it was sweltering, especially with the broken roof that let the sun directly in. The boys started with the roof, Yuta at the top of the ladder and Sicheng at the bottom, passing up the tools. 

"You've gotten pretty good at this, did you know about fixing stuff before?" Sicheng asked. 

Yuta laughed. "Hell no! But this camp is so old and decrepit that I've gotten pretty good at fixing stuff over the last six days." Sicheng watched him slide the tarp roof back into place and climb down the ladder. 

"That was fast," Sicheng commented. 

"That wasn't the first time I've had to fix one of these roofs," he explained. "God, it's hot in here." He was right, both he and Sicheng were sweating up a storm. Without hesitation he threw his shirt into the corner of the room and Sicheng's throat went dry. "Ah, much better." Yuta started to make his way over to the shelf before noticing Sicheng's frozen stance and pink cheeks, giving him a smirk. 

"U-um, anyways...." Yuta laughed at Sicheng's awkwardness, but he understood, since it had been three years since they had done...anything. "Wow, look at what a mess these kids have made." 

Yuta let Sicheng change the subject and looked around the horrifically messy cabin, even without the broken shelf. "Who thought it was a good idea to let five to seven year olds sleep in cabins by themselves?" 

Sicheng let out a sigh and started picking up the kid's belongings that fell off the shelf while Yuta started putting it back together. "Camp Purple: the world's most wonderful disaster." 

"Agreed," Yuta answered, starting to screw some of the nails back in. Sicheng turned and blushed again, he had somehow forgotten just how y Yuta was. 

He needed to change the subject again. "So...what have you been up to for the past three years?"

Yuta shrugged. "Not much, really. I finished high school and now I'm in college. I'm pretty much just a normal college student, nothing crazy like what was going on with you." Sicheng chuckled a little at that. "But...but honestly, this might sound pathetic but...I spent most of my time just waiting for you to come back." 

Sicheng felt his heart pound at that; the thought of Yuta had been his rock those years when he was trapped and it was wild to think Yuta had yearned for him just as much. "That's not pathetic Yuta." 

Yuta smiled as he hammered some wood back together. "I'm really glad to hear it." 

"Do you live on campus?" 

Yuta shook his head. "I did the first year, but after that I got a cheap apartment. I got so lucky; it's cheap enough that I don't even have roommates. I'm subletting it this summer." 

"Oh cool," Sicheng responded, and Yuta gave him a look that he couldn't quite read. 

"I-I...do you have any plans after this summer?" Sicheng shook his head and looked back at him. "Well, after the summer...do you wanna move in with me? I can totally pay for both of us for the first few months since it's so cheap and I'd really like to have you with me..." 

"YES!" Sicheng yelled. Yuta turned back to him, ignoring the shelf to pull him into a tight hug. Sicheng sighed softly into it, holding him back. He couldn't wait. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile in cabin A2, Taeyong and Ten were fixing that broken bed in the cabin. It was hot in their cabin too, sweaty and shirtless, but this is how they were every day. After having all the time in the world together they had made it past their uncontrollable teenage , but even afterwards, they still worked as a couple.

"Let's hope Yuta's actually doing his job," Ten mumbled, and Taeyong laughed. Yuta ditched them for Sicheng very often. 

"Maybe since Sicheng is there he'll actually work..." Taeyong answered, the pair nailing the side bar that held the mattress (and child) to the top bunk in place. 

"True. Plus, you know, they deserve it...after everything." Sicheng had explained what happened to the rest of the counselors a few nights before. 

"Yeah. They haven't had three years of nonstop being together like we have." 

"Plus they're so cute together!" Ten cooed. Taeyong gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as he slid behind him to work on the other side of the bed. 

"Speaking of adorable... our kids!" Taeyong cried. 

"Oh I know! Chenle and Jisung have gotten so big and grown up!" Ten cooed even louder. 

Taeyong sighed. "We get like this every time we bring them up...what do you think is gonna happen if we actually have kids?" 

Ten sighed back. "Disaster. They'll get away with anything and everything." 

Taeyong laughed. "Agreed. But anyways, that's not why I mentioned them." 

"Why did you then?" 

"Well, I think we know them better than anyone else, other than their families and each other..." 

"Very true." 

Taeyong paused and turned to Ten. "They definitely have feelings for each other, right?" 

"Yes!" Ten cried. "I've thought so for years!" 

"Me too! But they're not together yet...how long do you think they've liked each other for?" 

Ten thought for a moment. "Do you remember when we all played truth or dare during our second year at camp? And Chenle kissed Jisung on the cheek? That was the first time I thought something was up." 

"Then...if that was the moment then that means they've liked each other for years...are they together, maybe? Secretly? Or just not obviously?" 

"No way. We would know." 

Taeyong nodded. "True." 

Ten hummed and thought for a moment. "We'll have to double check and make sure we're right first...but I think it's our duty as their parents to set them up. Give them a little push in the right direction." 

Taeyong nodded and grinned. "Absolutely. Clearly they need some sort of push..." 

"They've always been on the shy side." 

"Chenle? Shy?" Taeyong cried. 

"No, I mean, about this sort of thing." 

"Ah...very true." 

Ten turned to look at Taeyong and immediately stopped working. "God you look y," he said. Apparently all of their teenage hadn't quite gotten out of their systems yet. 

"I could say the same for you." 

Ten smirked and gestured to the bottom bunk. 

"No...we couldn't. We couldn't on a six year old's bed..." 

Ten sighed. "True. But I mean... we do have to test its integrity somehow..." 

Taeyong stepped in closer, wrapping his arms around Ten's shoulders, pressing their bare chests closer together. "Let's wait until we get back to our cabin, okay?" 

"We could just make out..." 

Taeyong grinned. "Are you capable of just making out?" 

Ten frowned. "No... fine! You're right! Let's wait until we're back at our cabin!" 

Taeyong pecked Ten's lips. "It won't be long now I promise."