Kayaking

The Last Summer of the Boys

It was a beautiful day outside, so Johnny and Jungwoo had teamed up to give their campers a fun day. They had both wanted to take their campers kayaking, but they were on the younger side so they needed more staff present to do something like that. So, they decided to go together so that more staff would be on hand. 

Of course Yukhei had to come too, partially because it was his job to help out staff with these kinds of activities and mostly because he would get to spend time with Jungwoo. The three walked their campers down to the lake, discussing their plan as the staff at the lake explained how to use the kayaks. 

"One of us should stay here in case of an emergency, and two should drive around on the motorboat to keep an eye on the campers in the lake," Johnny said. 

"We'll take the motorboat!" Yukhei cheered, reaching for Jungwoo's hand.

"Do you have the lunches Kun made?" Johnny asked, and Jungwoo held up a basket full of sandwiches. 

"Alright then, we'll show you how to work the motorboat," one of the staff said once they were done explaining things to the kids. Johnny grabbed a beach chair and set it down directly in the sun, laying his legs over one of the arms. Yukhei and Jungwoo nodded at the staff member and followed, listening closely to his instructions. Once he was done they hopped on, following the kids onto the lake.

"Wahoo!" Yukhei screamed as soon as they started moving, the water spraying behind them as they moved rapidly along the water. Jungwoo laughed loudly and wrapped his arms around Yukhei's waist, watching him steer the motorboat around and between the campers. 

"Head that way!" Jungwoo reminded his campers, pointing toward the little beach across the lake. He and Johnny had explained everything earlier, but who could trust an eight to twelve year old to remember any instructions? He kept on hugging Yukhei's muscular frame, holding onto Yukhei as Yukhei held on to the boat. 

"Are you okay?" Yukhei asked loudly over the splashing of the water behind them and the hum of the motor. 

Jungwoo nodded and looked up at Yukhei. "Yeah. It's just... last time we kayaked we tipped." 

Yukhei laughed loudly. "That was my fault! And anyways, we can't tip this motorboat." 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes babe," Yukhei answered. "Don't you remember? I was trying to flirt with you and I got so distracted by how cute you were that I tipped the whole thing." 

"Wait...you were flirting with me?" 

Yukhei tried hiding his laughter but he couldn't, bursting into loud laughter. "You didn't notice I was flirting with you?" 

"N-not that time," Jungwoo stuttered embarrassedly. 

"Of course I was," Yukhei said, hugging Jungwoo tightly with his free hand and shaking him. Jungwoo nestled into him and smiled. "I liked you so much and I tried to make it so obvious. And, you know, I still do." 

Jungwoo smiled up at him. "I know, Xuxi. Me too." 

Almost all of the campers had reached the beach on the opposite shore so Yukhei and Jungwoo headed there too, making sure everyone had arrived before handing out the sandwiches and snacks Kun had kindly packed for them. 

"How did you get him to do this?" Jungwoo asked him quietly. 

"He made Yangyang do something else," Yukhei answered as they ate their own sandwiches. 

"Yangyang is turning out to be a surprisingly good staff member," Jungwoo commented. 

"Eh," Yukhei answered with a shrug. "He's okay." Yukhei helped out in the kitchen a lot, so he knew him a bit better than some of the other staffers. "Yesterday we taught him what renting was. And the day before we taught him how to make cereal." 

Jungwoo paused for a moment. "Never mind." 

"He tries his best. Not because he actually cares but because he's terrified of Renjun." 

"I think everyone should be scared of Renjun," Jungwoo mumbled. 

"Exactly." 

When they were done eating Yukhei fitted his massive hand into Jungwoo's, the two leaning back against a large tree to watch all of the campers have fun and play. This was the best thing that could have happened; Yukhei had missed Jungwoo so much and had hoped that maybe something would happen this year at camp. But everything had gone ever better than expected, they were back together, so quickly into the summer, and it was like all the mistakes had never even happened. 

Jungwoo was grateful too, he had spent his entire freshman year dreaming of having Yukhei back by his side, and he had gotten it. Now, there was no way he would ever let him go again. 

Jungwoo rested his head in the crook of Yukhei's shoulder and Yukhei's big hand came up to play with his hair. Yukhei was quiet, for once, but it wasn't weird. They were just at peace. 

"I still can't believe you didn't realize I was flirting with you that time," Yukhei said. 

"I realized you were flirting a little! If I hadn't I would never have confessed," Jungwoo admitted. 

"A little? All I was doing was flirting with you! Yukhei cried, smiling down at Jungwoo. 

"You know how I am..." Jungwoo mumbled and pouted, and when the kids weren't looking, Yukhei pecked the pout away. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the docks, Johnny was in heaven. He knew that Yukhei and Jungwoo would want to be together, of course, so it was easy to get them to do the more laborious task of running the motorboat. That meant he could just relax and have a break from the kids for the first time in forever. 

He was laying out on the beach chair sideways, his long legs swung over the arms and his head tilted backwards. He was half asleep and half awake, the sunning acting like a blanket over his shirtless frame. He exhaled softly. This moment was practically perfect. Nothing could make it better, except maybe Taeil being there of course. But this was still great. 

He was almost asleep when a soft sensation on his chest jolted him awake. He blinked open his eyes to see Taeil resting his head on Johnny's chest, sitting on the floor of the dock with his hair tickling Johnny's skin. 

Johnny's lips bloomed into a smile. "Hi darling," he spoke sleepily. 

"It's not good to sleep on the job, you know. What if there's an emergency?" Taeil teased. 

"You mean, Jungwoo and Yukhei tipping over the motorboat?" 

Taeil laughed at that and Johnny sat up in the seat, Taeil plopping himself down on Johnny's lap. Johnny wrapped his arm around his much smaller boyfriend's back to keep him steady and Taeil handed him a bag. 

"Ooh! What's this?"

"Just a snack. I figured you left all the lunches Kun packed with Yukhei and Jungwoo and forgot to grab one for yourself." 

Johnny gave his boyfriend a smile. "You know me too well." He reached into the bag and grabbed some doritos, opening it and sharing with his boyfriend. "How come you're here? Not that I mind literally at all..." 

Taeil chuckled. "It was my break," he explained. 

"So you'll have to go back at some point," Johnny answered with a pout. 

"Very sadly yes," Taeil answered. Johnny readjusted Taeil on his lap and dug back into the bag, pulling out some beef jerky. 

"Do you know how cute this is? It's like we're married and you packed me a lunch for work," Johnny said happily. Taeil's expression turned serious, and Johnny looked up at him. The marriage thing was something they hadn't really discussed. It was assumed it would happen one day, of course, neither of them wanted to be with anybody else ever again. But the question of when was something they were both a bit too shy to bring up. 

"Isn't it weird that Ten and Taeyong eloped?" Taeil said. 

"Oh my god right? That was so unexpected. Who thought they would be the first?" 

"Nobody," Taeil answered. 

"Not to mention it was very rude of them not to hold a wedding we could attend," Johnny commented.

"Right?" 

"They better have another ceremony and invite all of us." 

"Definitely. We can all be the groomsment and Chenle and Jisung can be the flower girl and the ring bearer." 

"Aren't they a little old for that?" 

Just then an iphone alarm began to ring and Taeil pulled out his phone and frowned, making it stop. 

"What's that?" Johnny asked. 

"I have to go back to camp," Taeil groaned. 

"Please, just stay," Johnny begged. "No one's gonna care." 

"Come on," Taeil answered, getting off of Johnny's lap and placing a little peck on his lips. "I'll see you later." 

"Fine," Johnny answered, waving after his boyfriend as he began to walk away. "I'll see you later." 

"Love you!" Taeil yelled back to him when he was far along the path.

"Love you more!" Johnny yelled back. 

"I'll fight you! I love you most!" Taeil screamed. 

"I love you too!"