The Day Off

The Last Summer of the Boys

"This is a terrible idea," Doyoung mumbled as he and Jaehyun walked down the path to the beach. "Why did we all decide to go? It should have been half of us take one day, and half of us take another." 

It was all of the counselor's big day off, one they had planned together since the start of camp, and they had voted to spend it at the beach by the docks and the lake. Most of them were excited to have a day to themselves, but of course, Doyoung was worried. 

"Love," Jaehyun said, squeezing Doyoung's hand. "We planned this day so all of us could be together, like back when we were campers. The big group of us together. And anyways, you don't have to worry. Mark, Donghyuck, and Renjun said they found some trustworthy people to watch camp for us while we're out having fun." 

"Are you sure?" Doyoung asked, looking up at Jaehyun with those soft, pretty eyes. 

"Always," Jaehyun answered with a grin, and just then, they all arrived. 

~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as the boys arrived they cheered, the younger (and more energetic) counselors running around and screaming. Johnny and Taeil shared a chuckle, walking slowly onto the beach.

They all took off their shoes and left them by the bathrooms, Johnny sighing softly as his feet touched the warm sand. 

"I forgot how nice it was down here," Taeil mumbled, the fresh breeze blowing through his hair. He and Taeil grabbed each other's hands and walked further out onto the beach.

"I know, right? It was always our favorite place." Johnny looked around before gesturing to the ground. "Wanna sit?" Taeil nodded and they plopped down in the sand. 

"I wish we had a blanket," Taeil said. 

"We never did have blankets, did we?" Johnny answered, and they shared a chuckle. After a long, relaxed pause, just watching the water on the shore and their friends run around, he spoke again. "I can't believe we had to get up early, even on our day off." 

"I know. It's terrible," Taeil answered. Slowly, Johnny turned to smile at Taeil. 

"Remember how we used to take a nap whenever we were here?" 

Taeil nodded back and immediately laid down. "A brilliant idea." 

Nearby Johnny and Taeil, Chenle and Jisung were sitting in the sand too, watching everyone around them. They had been invited by their friends to play a game but neither had wanted, just wanting to relax. But Chenle thought maybe that would have been a good idea. All he could do was notice all the other couples around them, cuddling, kissing, laughing, playing together. Chenle was so jealous it made his heart ache; he wanted that for him and Jisung so bad. 

Jisung gestured to the couples around them and Chenle realized he'd been thinking about it too. "Do you want that?" 

Chenle chuckled, trying to not let Jisung know how deeply he felt about this. "So, so bad." Jisung winced, and Chenle hoped he couldn't hear the yearning in his voice. 

"Me too," Jisung mumbled quietly after a moment, and Chenle could feel his face burning. "You know," he piped up, a bit louder. "Maybe one day we'll find our people." 

Chenle turned away in that moment. Jisung couldn't know that he was Chenle's person. Chenle was about to get up, go join the game to distract himself when Taeyong and Ten came over, all smiles and sitting on either side of Chenle and Jisung. Sandwiching them, they made it so neither Chenle nor Jisung could escape that moment. 

"Hey kiddos! What are you talking about?" Taeyong asked. 

"Um...all the camp couples. Everyone's so coupley today," Chenle answered. 

"Oooh, love! The most precious thing in the world," Ten spoke dramatically, grabbing Taeyong's hand behind Chenle and Jisung's backs and sharing a look with him. "You two haven't found it yet." 

Jisung sighed sadly. "Yeah." 

"You know, you can find love in the most unlikely places! I mean, I met the love of my life at summer camp," Taeyong said. 

"Taeyong is just so right! The love you've been looking for is probably someone you thought would never like you like that! It's probably just right under both of your noses," Ten added. Taeyong and Ten shared another look before sliding in closer to their camp kids, squishing Chenle and Jisung even closer together. Behind Chenle and Jisung's backs, Taeyong and Ten shared a high five. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Out by the shore, Jeno, Jaemin, Yukhei, and Renjun were playing volleyball all together. Jungwoo was standing off to the side, being their referee /scorekeeper/ cheerleader. Underneath the warm sun and surrounded by the cool water, everything seemed to be perfect. 

Yukhei and Renjun's team scored a point and Jungwoo leapt up, adding another rock to the piles he was using to keep score and cheering for his boyfriend. Yukhei paused the game to go over and give Jungwoo a big hug. 

"You're so cute," he mumbled into the crook of Jungwoo's neck. 

Jungwoo giggled. "And you're so handsome." 

"Come on!" Renjun yelled and Yukhei pouted, going back over to start the next round. 

Jungwoo thought for a moment. This moment was lovely, out here, being Yukhei's cheerleader. He could have been his cheerleader all of last year. But, the past was in the past. From now on, Jungwoo would be his cheerleader forever. 

Another round and Jeno and Jaemin won this time, cheering and hugging each other while Yukhei and Jungwoo pouted into a hug. Renjun called time out after to chew out Yukhei and Jungwoo, and Jeno and Jaemin had a moment to themselves. 

"We're killing this," Jaemin said. 

"I know!"

"We've always made the best team," Jaemin added more softly, with a little kiss to Jeno's cheek. And Jeno absolutely melted. 

He wished it could be like this always, so innocent and sweet and loving without the looming worry of and the argument that would come with it. Jeno sighed. There was a voice telling him in the back of his head that it could be like this always, all he would have to do is just tell Jaemin how he felt. 

But that couldn't happen. It would hurt Jaemin more than anything. So he has to just sit with this worry until the day finally comes. 

~~~~~~~~~~

While everyone else sat in the main part of the beach, Mark and Donghyuck were up on the cliffs, watching the action down below. They watched everyone (except Yuta and Sicheng who had disappeared off to who knows where for "privacy"), hand in hand, teasing and laughing to themselves. 

"Do you remember when we used to be the camp matchmakers?" Donghyuck asked. 

"Of course! How could I forget?" Mark answered. "We were the best." 

"You know...I think our services may be needed again." 

"Agreed," Mark said firmly. 

Donghyuck hummed. "Well, there are two couples in need of a little push in the right direction." Mark nodded. "That's Chenle and Jisung, and then Kun and eyebrow boy." 

"What's eyebrow boy's name?" Mark asked. 

"Actually...I don't know. Well that will be first on our matchmaking agenda: finding out eyebrow boy's name." 

"Then, we can get to work," Mark cheered. 

"And of course we'll be successful." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Yo," a voice spoke, a voice Kun thought about far too much while he was sitting with Doyoung and Jaehyun. 

Kun jumped and turned around, looking at a grinning Xiaojun. "You...you actually came here." 

Xiaojun shrugged and leaned in closer. "You told me you'd be here, right?" 

Immediately, everyone else dropped everything so they could get a good look at Xiaojun (known as eyebrow boy) and judge his interactions with Kun. Even Johnny and Taeil woke up. 

"You were right to name him eyebrow boy," Jeno mumbled to Renjun. 

"Your windswept hair looks nice," Xiaojun mumbled to Kun. Kun immediately looked like a fish out of water. 

"Ah- uh- hm-" 

Xiaojun laughed at his awkwardness. "You're cute." 

"I am not cute! I am a grown man," Kun said, fidgeting uncomfortably. Xiaojun just laughed at him again, and Kun looked down at the sand, feeling everyone's eyes on him. "How did you get here?" 

"I had some last tomatoes to drop off for my dad, so I went to camp before heading here," Xiaojun explained. 

"Well then..." Kun paused, thinking of something to say to his (handsome) face. "How is everything back at camp?" Kun asked. 

"It's going really smoothly actually. You know, Mark and Donghyuck's campers are actually doing a pretty good job of keeping the little ones in line. And Yangyang's totally got a handle on the kitchen-" 

"Wait WHAT?" Doyoung screamed, interrupting Xiaojun and sitting up with a start. "What the guys!" He yelled, and was met with silence. 

"We're going back to camp!" Jaehyun yelled, everyone sighing and following Doyoung in running back to camp. When Jaehyun got close to Mark and Donghyuck, he glared at them with all his might. 

"Thanks guys...for giving my boyfriend a ing heart attack!"