Party Boat

The Last Summer of the Boys

Today was an exciting day for Mark and Donghyuck. Today was one of the few days that they got to combine groups and share an activity, and it was one of their favorites: the party boat. The party boat was one of the funnest end of camp activities, where the thirteen to fifteens and the sixteen to eighteens counselors chained together two motorboats and took their campers to the middle of the lake, where they handed out snacks, played music, and let them all swim around on the lake with supervision. All the counselors had to do was sit on the motorboat, eat snacks, hang out with each other, and watch the kids, plus they were getting Jeno and Jaemin's help (they were the lifeguards after all, and they had been dreading their help before but now that they had made up it was exciting to have double the help). The only issue was getting the campers excited too. 

In the middle of breakfast Donghyuck and Mark split up to go ask their campers to come. From the other side of the dining hall Mark could hear Donghyuck's campers cheer and Mark took a deep breath. He could do this. They were his campers, after all. 

"Hey guys!" Mark spoke cheerfully. 

"Oh god, what is it now," his older camper said. 

"Don't be a ," another camper spoke to him, smacking his arm. Mark smiled a little bit. 

"Well, today is the party boat!" 

"Oh ! That one's actually fun," one of Mark's campers spoke. 

"Hell yeah, before lunch, right? We'll be there," another added, and all of Mark's campers nodded at him. 

"Wait...really?" Mark asked, happy but hesitant. 

"Yeah," they answered, and Mark could see no trickery or malice in their eyes. 

He beamed at them. "Okay, guys! After breakfast just go to the bridge by the stream and we'll be there!" They nodded at him, and Mark skipped over to Donghyuck. 

"How did it go?" Donghyuck asked worriedly. 

"Great, actually," Mark answered gleefully. 

"Seriously." 

Mark giggled. "Yup. I know, I was surprised too." 

And that just made their activity as a couple all the more sweet.

~~~~~~~~~~

On the party boat, things were even sweeter. It was a beautiful day out, warm but not burningly hot, which was especially nice with the reflection of the sun on the lake making everything hotter. All of the teenage campers came, and they were all either hanging out on the edge of the boats or swimming in the water. Mark, Donghyuck, Jeno, and Jaemin had stopped the boats, watching the campers and gorging themselves on snacks by the controls. 

Mark and Donghyuck sat on the benches of the boat, looking on at the water. Both in their swimsuits in case they had to jump into the water and save a camper, all of the campers had been surprised and amazed by Donghyuck's tattoos. Mark knew they were staring and he felt so proud that this gorgeous badass was his boyfriend. 

Donghyuck had his arm thrown over Mark's shoulder, his tan skin contrasting with Mark's pale, carding his hand throw his hair as they spoke. Mark sighed with relief. His campers didn't hate him, and even though camp was almost over, he didn't have to leave Donghyuck's side. Everything was going more perfectly than he could have imagined. 

"You two are so sweet," Jeno said to them. Mark whined and nuzzled his face into Donghyuck's bare shoulder, and Donghyuck held him a little tighter. 

"I know," Donghyuck answered, so very him. 

"Who would've thought the shy awkward kid and the most obnoxious twelve year old the world had ever seen would end up together, even almost six years later?" Jaemin asked. 

Donghyuck scoffed. "I did." 

"Me too," Mark protested. 

"Mark, you were awfully hesitant back during that first year of camp," Jaemin brought up. 

"I was embarrassed, okay?" Mark whined. "I totally liked him but I was afraid everyone would tease me. And even though I did like him, you have to admit, boo, you were coming on a bit strong..." 

Donghyuck tilted his head and thought for a moment. "I guess you're right baby boy." 

"You guess?" Jeno cried, and all of the counselors laughed. 

"Alright, you are right. But I was twelve. And it worked. I mean, you're still with me." 

"True, true," Mark mumbled. 

"And you love me, quite a bit." 

Mark blushed so hard his visible chest was a bit pink. "Also true," he mumbled. 

"Donghyuck, you haven't changed a bit. You are still ever the flirt," Jaemin spoke. 

"Only with Mark," he said defensively. 

"Exactly, you haven't changed a bit. Flirting way too hard but only with Mark," Jeno said. 

"And Mark hasn't changed either, pretending to be embarrassed but secretly loving it," Jaemin added. 

Donghyuck shrugged. "Okay, you're right. Are they?" 

He looked down at Mark who was pouting slightly. "Yeah..." Mark admitted. 

"You two have been together longer than us," Jaemin said. "Almost six years." 

"Yup. Six years exactly on the last day of camp," Donghyuck proudly answered. 

"And what a wonderful six years it has been. Actually...not really. What a wonderful six summers. I spent most of the rest of that time just missing you," Mark said, his voice growing quieter as he admitted something so personal. 

"And now we finally won't have to split up. After six ing years," Donghyuck spoke. 

"Thank god. I mean, we deserve it, it's been so long. But..." Mark groaned just at the thought. "I have to live on the freshman dorm floor again." 

"Is it really that bad?" Jeno asked. 

"Is finding weed and condoms in the elevator every day that bad?" Mark answered. 

Jeno and Jaemin shared a frightened look. 

"Speaking of, aren't you two living on the same dorm floor?" Donghyuck asked. Jeno and Jaemin shared excited smiles and nodded. 

"We are. It's our first time living near each other too and I'm...I'm so excited," Jeno admitted. 

"It's a good thing you two made up again then, right?" Donghyuck teased. 

"No matter what we would have. I can't imagine life without him," Jaemin said, and Jeno and him shared another affectionate look. 

And it was true. Jaemin was so happy that he and Jeno made up, so that they could finally enjoy camp together. Thinking back he could tell Jeno had been uncomfortable ever since they got to camp, and he had to admit that he'd been nervous too. He was unbelievably glad the two of them could have some time at camp together, even if it was just a week or so, to be in love and enjoy the place where they first met. 

Jeno had always been perfect to Jaemin, and he was perfect still. The two were sitting on the motorboat benches across from Mark and Donghyuck, in their little lifeguard outfits. Jeno had his head in Jaemin's lap and Jaemin was mindlessly curling his fingers through Jeno's black hair, roughed up by all their time in the pool and the sun but still soft to Jaemin's touch. Jaemin sighed softly. Things could not have been better. 

"Jaemin?" Jeno questioned quietly. 

"Mmh?" Jaemin answered, coming back to earth and shaking his head. Mark and Donghyuck had already changed the subject, talking amongst himself. 

"Whatcha thinking about?" Jeno asked, his little voice and smile so cute to Jaemin that it almost made his heart break. 

"You." 

Jeno giggled and gave Jaemin a shy smile. "I'm sorry...we, we could have had more times like this if I had just been honest with you from the start. 

"No, Jeno," Jaemin whined. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have built that up so much for us and planned so hard." 

"Please don't apologize anymore." 

"No, you don't apologize anymore!" Jaemin whined. The two started laughing quietly. "I guess we should both stop apologizing." 

"Yeah. Let's not waste any more of our time together. Let's just be happy." 

"But you know, we have all the time in the world now, since we're going to live so close together." 

Jeno beamed at the thought. "I'm so excited! Every day I just get more and more excited." Now that he and Jaemin had talked it out, all of the pressure of them living so close had disappeared. Now he could just let himself be happy about it. 

"I think it's gonna be amazing," Jaemin answered. 

"Oh my gosh, I just can't wait. I hope we both have nice roommates." 

"Same," Jaemin said firmly. "They'll have to be okay with us being over all the time." 

"True. And, ooh! We can go on study dates together!" 

Jaemin giggled. "What about regular dates?" 

Jeno paused before staring up at Jaemin with wide eyes. "Have we even been on a regular date?" 

"I don't think so," Jaemin mumbled. "Since we only ever see each other in person at camp." 

Slowly, they both started to giggle. "Well...I guess since I've never asked this before, it's time. Baby, will you go on a date with me?" 

Jaemin giggled some more. "Yes. I cannot wait!"