Teen Dance

The Last Summer of the Boys

"Why. Why the  did the teen dance have to be today?" Mark groaned loudly. 

"God, I know," Donghyuck answered, reaching up to try and press the decor onto the wall. 

Normally, Donghyuck and Mark would have been very excited to be able to have an event together. Plus, the teen dance was always a fun one that both Mark and Donghyuck's campers actually seemed excited for. Other than breaking up the inevitable grinding and twerking, it would have been one of the highlights of Mark and Donghyuck's time as counselors for the teen campers. Taeyong had Ten had even volunteered to DJ and keep an eye on the kids. 

But Donghyuck and Mark were hungover. Not just slight, fun night out, headache the next day hungover. No they were hungover, like waiting in line for the bathroom to vomit as soon as they woke up hungover, nauseous at any scent of alcohol hungover, can really only keep orange juice and saltine crackers down hungover, throbbing head and sensitive ears and eyes hungover. The idea of spending their evening in a cramped smelly cabin with flashing lights and a throbbing bass was really their worst nightmare. No amount of advil could really fix their problem. 

"Yo!" A voice suddenly called. Donghyuck and Mark turned to see Taeyong and Ten standing in the doorway. Smiling. 

"What are you guys doing here?" Mark asked in a drawl. 

"We came up to help; we figured you two would need it," Taeyong explained. 

"Plus we need to set up the DJ stand," Ten added. 

"Thank god," Donghyuck spoke. 

"You're welcome!" Ten answered in a sing song voice, starting with the DJ table. 

"How...how are you happy? Don't you feel disgusting after last night?" Mark asked as Taeyong looked around at Mark and Donghyuck's handiwork. 

Ten and Taeyong shared a smile. "You know, both of us drank way too much in high school. Our bodies are more used to it," Taeyong explained. 

"Not to mention, we know when to stop," Ten added. "Kind of." 

"Mmh," Mark mustered jealously, going back to hanging up decor.

Donghyuck gesturing to the box of paper decorations that looked fifteen years old. All four boys stared at it, wondering how it could have lasted so long. "Now, get to work." 

Taeyong reached in and started to help them hang stuff up, while Ten started plugging his laptop into the speakers while he set stuff down on the DJ table.

Mark looked at him and gasped. "Wait...is that more alcohol?" 

Ten shrugged. "It's a dance. We need something to drink." 

"After last night?" Donghyuck cried. 

"Come on, it'll take the edge off. Ever heard of hair of the dog?" Taeyong said. 

"Don't bring that stuff near me. I'll throw up at just the smell," Donghyuck grumbled. 

Soon enough Donghyuck and Mark returned to their work, too sick to speak, so Taeyong and Ten started hanging up decor on the other side of the cabin. 

"I can't believe Doyoung would do this for every single high school dance," Ten said with a scoff.

"Wait, what?" Taeyong asked. 

"Don't you remember? He was in student council for like...all of high school. What a ing nerd," Ten teased with fondness in his voice. 

"I always hated those types at my school, but I love Doyoung to death. It's funny how we're all so different but we became good friends. More than that really. Like...a family," Taeyong spoke whistfully. 

"It is funny," Ten responded in a thoughtful mumble. Taeyong paused decorating to come behind Ten and wrap him up in a back hug. 

"Thank god we have each other. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't see anyone from Camp Purple, except during the summer," Taeyong mumbled sadly into Ten's shoulder. 

"Guys!" Mark suddenly whined, reminiscent of when he was thirteen and complaining about Taeyong and Ten making out. "Hurry up! The sun is about to set and we have to have this done before dinner!" 

~~~~~~~~~~

The time finally came. Mark and Donghyuck's campers had shockingly agreed to attend, and Mark and Donghyuck lead them up to the cabin for the dance. When they got there, the strobe lights were flashing and the music was blasting. Mark and Donghyuck shared a smile; despite everything they'd done a good job. 

After a few minutes of encouraging their more shy campers to come inside and dance, the couple entered in themselves. Immediately they grimaced; it was a hungover person's worst nightmare, just like they had expected. Plus, now they had the arduous task of breaking up the grinding teens. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun had insisted that the boys break up any dirty dancing so Donghyuck began to work on getting his campers to separate from their grinding chain. As much as he tried to separate them, as soon as his back was turned, they would just roll their eyes at him and continue. Donghyuck sighed and decided it wasn't worth it, going to see what his boyfriend was up to. 

Even though Taeyong and Ten were supposed to be helping Mark and Donghyuck break up the kids, they were distracted. Ten would put on a song and immediately go to make out with Taeyong on the DJ table. As soon as the song started to end, they would feverently break their kiss to sneak a sip of alcohol and switch to the next ugly sounding top forty hit to play. Luckily, no one but Mark and Donghyuck noticed, but it wasn't exactly a pretty sight to see. But what was a worse sight to see was Mark's campers.

Suddenly, when Ten put on 'Work' by Rihanna, Mark and Donghyuck saw two of their campers grinding on another. Mark was terrified; he didn't want to ruin the slight understanding he'd built with his campers But he knew both of them were sixteen, and Doyoung would murder him if he ever found out this happened without being stopped. So Mark sighed as Donghyuck watched, pushing his way through the tight throngs of sweaty teens (and grimacing at the grossness of it all) and approaching the couple. 

"Break it up guys," Mark said to the teenage couple. 

"You !" one of them whined but he stood up from his bent over position on the other's . He gave Mark the worst death glare Mark had ever been given in his life, and he deflated.

"You're the worst," the camper growled, and Mark knew it was completely sincere. The camper had wrapped one arm protectively around the other's waist, and his hand he placed on the other's . Mark pretended not to notice and grimaced to himself.

"Honestly, I'm just doing this because if any kids tell their parents that they saw an underaged boy twerking on an underaged boy at the teen dance then we could get in serious trouble."

"But those kids are grinding!" the camper whined, pointing to Donghyuck's campers, who were graphically grinding on each other, with Donghyuck trying to physically tear them apart from each other

Mark just sighed. "Believe me; we've tried to stop them," he responded. "Now go have fun! And no twerking. Save that for your cabin room," Mark said and left. Mark could feel the camper flip him off behind his back, and sighed deeply to himself. Time to go help Donghyuck split up his own campers. He didn't know what was worse. 

Meanwhile by the DJ stand, Ten and Taeyong were having a good time. 

"For a pair of high school slackers, the two of us did pretty good," Ten said to Taeyong, looking around at the decor. 

"I'm sure Doyoung would be disappointed though," Taeyong responded.

Ten chuckled to himself. "Mark and Donghyuck already are."

The two of them squished themselves into the back of the cabin, trying to avoid getting accidentally grinded by a teenager, because boy would that have been awkward. Donghyuck and Mark made frantic gestures at them, and Ten and Taeyong (despite their tipsiness) got the gist. 

"Last song!" Ten yelled as he finally picked out a slow song. They watched as the campers stopped grinding and moved into couples to sway together, and Mark and Donghyuck almost collapse with relief. 

Despite everything, this was Ten and Taeyong's favorite part of the night: each of the teenagers was paired up, and they lovingly slow danced with each other. It was by far the cutest thing they had ever seen in their life. 

"Reminds me of when we were campers," Ten mumbled. 

Taeyong nuzzled his nose into Ten's shoulder. "I know. It's weird to think we were that young once."

At the end of the slow song the dance was over, and Donghyuck and Mark gathered their campers to walk back to camp. Ten and Taeyong volunteered to stay behind and clean up, but waiting until all of the kids left the cabin. 

"That went pretty well, I thought," Taeyong said. 

"Oh yeah. That was great," Ten added. 

Donghyuck and Mark glared at the couple. "For you two!" They simoultaneously spoke.