Camp Director's Blues

The Last Summer of the Boys

The upstairs office was a cluttered mess, and that meant Doyoung couldn't think. 

Doyoung had a problem, where his mind could only focus when his surroundings were in focus, meaning organized and clean. It just wasn't. 

How had it gotten like that? Well, day after day of him and Jaehyun running around, trying to make sure the campers don't accidentally get hurt, or worse, or run off the grounds or get their hands on illegal drugs, again, or do just about anything a normal elementary school student would do (whose idea was it to let five six and seven year olds sleep in cabins by themselves)? The camp itself too needed constant maintenance and the team could only do so much and there was a new thing popping up every day, a rusty spike stabbing a nine year old's arm, a microwave that almost exploded, a boulder rolling down from the ledge. Even the counselors needed constant maintenance: the new ones needed teaching on how to be functioning counselors, let alone human beings. The old ones still needed to be checked up on, just to make sure they were actually working and not sneaking off with their boyfriends. And even the most well behaved counselors still needed breaks.

So Doyoung and Jaehyun didn't have time to keep the office in check. But now that Doyoung needed to do administrative work (get the ice cream fridge in the store restocked, put Yangyang and Hendery on the payroll, email the mom of the kid who got stabbed by the rusty spike), he couldn't even begin because it was too much of a mess. 

In a style very unlike Doyoung, he flopped onto the floor of the office and groaned, fluttering papers around. Normally Doyoung was good with messes. But this was too much, far too much. 

There was a knock at the door and Doyoung groaned loudly. "I'm very busy; don't come in unless it's urgent," he answered from the floor. 

"Is seeing your boyfriend urgent?" Jaehyun answered, and Doyoung smiled. 

"Of course." The door pushed open and Jaehyun looked around, letting out a worried sigh when he saw Doyoung on the floor. 

"What happened?" Doyoung just groaned in reply and Jaehyun looked around. Doyoung could see in his eyes that he knew exactly what the problem was, of course he did, they'd been together so long at that point that they were basically psychic with each other. 

"I'll clean up the desk and you organize the papers on the floor," Jaehyun answered, cupping Doyoung's face and rubbing his cheek. 

Doyoung sat up and gave a reluctant smile, slowly making his way to the papers. 

"Why are you up here anyways? We were supposed to have some time off," Jaehyun said. 

"Camp's over in eleven days and Hendery and Yangyang still aren't on the payroll," Doyoung answered. "Plus the store is out of ice cream. And I'm worried enough about that kid's stab wound that I'm gonna email his mom." 

Jaehyun paused shuffling papers for a second. "." 

" is right," Doyoung said with a sigh, organizing them into stacks. 

"We haven't had much time lately though. With Jeno and Jaemin and all," Jaehyun said, his voice growing quieter. 

Doyoung hummed; for the past two days he and Jaehyun had to do shifts on lifeguard duty because Jeno and Jaemin refused to work with each other. It was even worse since they had shared a bed originally; now they had to take turns sleeping on the floor next to Hendery and that made them even more crabby. It had taken away the little time they usually had together, but it didn't matter when they were worried about their friends. 

"They need to talk to each other. But none of us should interfere, at least not yet. They need to figure it out for themselves." 

"Agreed," Jaehyun said firmly, turning on the ten year old windows computer. "But if they haven't at least discussed it by the last day of camp, we will all have to make them." 

"Perfect. They have ten days and I can't imagine they can go that long without speaking to each other." 

"That's true. I wonder what it's all about though." 

"It was the day they were supposed to..." Doyoung trailed off. 

"Oh. That's...that's not good." 

"Yeah." 

Jaehyun hummed as they fell silent for a moment. "Do you remember the first time we...?"

Doyoung chuckled at the thought. They had been so chaste all through high school and camp, planning for the first time to be in Doyoung's first year of college when Jaehyun was still a high school senior going to visit Doyoung. Well it turns out Doyoung's freshman year roommate had been quite the homebody (aka Doyoung never saw him leave the room once) so they had to do it in Jaehyun's car. So much for a perfect planned out first time. 

But it had been wonderful, nonetheless. 

"Of course I remember," Doyoung mumbled, a smile still on his lips.

"And...done!" Jaehyun cheered. 

"What?" 

"All the tasks are done. The ice cream is ordered, the kid's mom knows about the rusty stab wound, and Hendery and Yangyang are on the payroll." 

"Jaehyunnie, you didn't have to..." Doyoung whined, setting down the last of the paper stacks on the table and going over to wrap has arms around his boyfriend. 

"I did." Jaehyun swiveled around in the seat. "You...you've been so stressed out lately. I know how you worry, about the campers and their parents and if they'll come back next year and if there will even be enough enrollment to keep the place going next year." Doyoung let out a worried sigh at the thought. "And you worry about our friends, and if they're having fun, and if Chenle and Jisung and Jeno and Jaemin are doing the best things possible for their relationships. And our place for next year. Man, god do we need that," Jaehyun said with a chuckle and Doyoung smiled in agreement; they hadn't had any time for...themselves thus far at camp. "But you're worried if we can afford it, if we have time to get it and move in before classes start, if both of us will like it...you know I notice when you come up here at three am to search through craigslist, right?" 

Doyoung frowned, looking down. Jaehyun began to rub Doyoung's arms, very gently. 

"But...you remember our first time, right? We planned and planned and planned and then, we had to do it in the back of my high school car. But it was great! It was wonderful. That sure as hell wasn't perfect but we loved it. You know, everything's like that. Not everything has to be perfect. I don't think it would even be possible for this camp to be perfect; we would need about ten thousand more dollars for that. Our friends don't have to be perfect counselors and our place for next year doesn't have to be perfect either. But it's all so good! We've worked so hard and the camp is going so well. Our friends mess up sometimes but they're really putting their hearts into doing this. And as for the place...it'll come up. Doyoung, I just want you to have fun. This is our special place, you know? Don't taint it with the stress of the real world. Everything is going just fine. More than fine, actually. Far more than fine." 

Doyoung sighed, his eyes going watery for a second before he got control of himself. "Do you have any idea how much I love you?" Doyoung said, his voice scratchy. 

"Yes. Yes I do," Jaehyun said, pecking Doyoung's lips and standing up. "Now let's get out of this work chair and onto those couches to cuddle. I think we deserve it." 

"We sure do," Doyoung answered, smiling softly as Jaehyun laid down and wrapped Doyoung in his arms. They laid there in silence for a moment, just letting themselves be absorbed in the brief moment of peace they had. 

"Doyoung?" Jaehyun finally spoke, almost a whisper. 

"Yes?"

"Do you remember when we were young and you used to read your books to me?" Slowly, Doyoung smiled and nodded. "Can...can we do that again?" 

"Of course," Doyoung answered, getting up and looking through his major book collection (he was an english lit major after all) before pulling out a random title and leaning back against Jaehyun's chest. 

"The Hobbit?" Jaehyun spoke with surprise. "Isn't that too fun for an english major?" 

"In high school I thought I was cool for reading hard books," Doyoung answered. "I like to think I'm past that now."

Jaehyun chuckled and tilted Doyoung's chin up, the two sharing a deep kiss, and slowly, the ball of anxiety that seemed to have been stuck in Doyoung's chest since camp started began to dissipate. Not disappear, but dissipate. 

He opened the first page of the book, Jaehyun's soft breaths tickling his neck, and immediately he was transported back to those summers when he first fell in love, reading to Jaehyun when they were both practically babies. He smiled at the thought and continued reading.