Hendery the Mystery

The Last Summer of the Boys

Yuta and Sicheng were fully appreciating their day off. Yukhei had volunteered to take Sicheng's kids so they had time to just relax together, cuddling and kissing in privacy on the ledge. 

"Hello?" A voice suddenly yelled. Yuta and Sicheng sat up, looking behind them back towards camp to find nobody there. Confused, they looked around them before staring down at the woodland at the bottom of the rocks. Staring back up at them was a very confused looking young man with sticks stuck in his hair. "Humans?" 

"Hi," Yuta answered with an awkward chuckle. "Yes, we're people." 

The man fell silent for a moment, thinking. "Where am I?" 

"Yosemite," Sicheng explained. 

He was silent for a long time. "Where in Yosemite?" 

"Camp Purple. A kid's summer camp," Yuta explained. 

Again, he was silent. "Oh." 

Sicheng and Yuta turned to look at each other worriedly before looking back down at the strange man. "Are you...are you lost?" 

The man slowly nodded. 

Yuta and Sicheng looked at each other. "What do we do?" Yuta whispered. Sicheng shrugged. "He seems kind of out of it..." he added. 

"I don't know how we could help," Sicheng answered. 

"We should go down to him." 

Sicheng shook his head quickly. "What if he tries to kill us? He seems weird..." 

Yuta sighed. "You're right. I mean...we could ask him to come up here? Then if he does try to kill us we can run back to camp and tell someone." 

Sicheng nodded. "Good idea." 

"Hey...could you maybe come up here? We can help you out from there," Yuta yelled down. 

"There's an easy path..." Sicheng started but trailed off when the guys started scaling the wall. 

"Dude! There's a path right there!" Yuta yelled but the guy ignored him, slowly climbing up the rocks before finally reaching where Sicheng and Yuta were sitting. He flopped down in between them and the couple stared at him in shock. 

"There's an easy path right there," Sicheng said, pointing over to the side. 

The man just stared at them. "Oh," he simply answered. Now that he was right next to him, Sicheng and Yuta could get a good look. He was very dirty but they could still tell he was young and definitely handsome, if extremely confused. He wasn't carrying anything except a water bottle attached to a belt. It was clear that he wouldn't try to kill them, at the very least. 

"So you're lost," Sicheng said, and the man nodded. 

"Where are you trying to go?" Yuta asked. 

"I don't know..." the man answered. "I really don't know." 

Yuta and Sicheng shared a worried look. "Well then...how did you get here?" 

"Me and my friends..." he started, looking down at his dirty fingers before blinking and starting again. "Me and my friends to all do a trip in the woods." 

"Like a vacation?" Yuta asked. 

"No, no," he answered. 

"Like..." Sicheng's voice dropped to a whisper. "Drugs?" 

"Yeah," the man answered, smiling a little. "Shrooms. We wanted to experience nature...in nature..." His voice grew distant and Yuta cleared his throat. "Yeah..." the weird guy continued. "They were really strong or something so I was out of it for a while. But when I sobered up...everything was gone. My friends, the car, our stuff...gone. So I've been trying to find people ever since." 

"A-are you okay?" Yuta asked worriedly. 

"Yeah man, it's been good. I've got this water," he said, shaking the water bottle. "And this," he added, pulling a block of uncooked ramen noodles from his pocket. 

"Is that all you've been eating?" Yuta asked. 

"Yeah. It's alright though." 

Yuta and Sicheng shared a look before standing up. "Alright. We're gonna take you back to camp with us and get you some real food." Sicheng spoke

"Really?" He asked, standing up as well. 

"Of course," Yuta answered. Sicheng and Yuta threw his arms over their shoulders and started walking him towards the dining hall. 

"You two are the coolest dudes ever, you know? Coolest dudes. What are your names?" 

"I'm Yuta, and this is Sicheng," Yuta said. "How about you?" 

"I'm Hendery," he answered. 

"Hendery. That's an... interesting name," Sicheng spoke. 

"Yeah man, right? A lot of things are interesting." 

"Um, Hendery, how old are you?" 

"Nineteen," he answered. 

Sicheng looked at him worriedly. "You're done with high school, right?" 

"Yeah man. Gonna be a sophomore next year. Woo Humbolt State!" He cheered. 

Yuta and Sicheng breathed a sigh of relief. "We're the same age then," Sicheng answered. 

"Oh hell yeah dude," Hendery spoke just as they reached the dining hall. Luckily it was empty and the two sat him down at one of the tables. 

"You go make him cereal, I'll get Doyoung and Jaehyun," Yuta whispered. Sicheng nodded and Yuta ran up to the office as Sicheng got him a bowl of cereal. Placing it down in front of him, Hendery looked at it inquisitvely before putting a spoonful in his mouth. 

He stared at the bowl in awe. "What is this?" 

"It's lucky charms," Sicheng answered. 

"Oh my god," Hendery breathed out. "It's delicious. Is...is that what they call this? The crunchy stuff in the milk?" 

"You mean...cereal?" 

Hendery gasped. "Oh yeah...I forgot." 

Sicheng stared at him, deadpan. "You forgot what cereal was." 

Hendery paused for a moment. "Yeah." 

He then began to absolutely devour the bowl of cereal and Sicheng just watched him when finally, to his relief, Yuta came back with Doyoung and Jaehyun behind him. 

"Yo!" Hendery cried, pushing the empty bowl aside. "More people!" Doyoung, Jaehyun, Yuta, and Sicheng all shared a look.

"Hello," Doyoung answered. "I'm Doyoung and this is Jaehyun, and we run this camp." 

"Yo. I'm Hendery." 

"So...Yuta and Sicheng told us about your situation and we wanna help out. Do you have any money?" Doyoung spoke

Hendery looked into his empty fanny pack and shook his head. "I think they all took it." 

"Well...do you have anywhere to go?" Jaehyun asked. 

"My friends back at school said I could crash on their couch for the summer for only like fifty bucks a month." 

"But...you have no money," Doyoung said. 

Hendery paused for a long time. "Yeah." 

Doyoung and Jaehyun shared a look and sighed before Jaehyun passed him a pile of bottles, clothes, and a towel. "How about you go take a shower, alright? It's right here next to the dining hall. When you come back we can figure something out." 

"Shower?" Hendery said excitedly. 

"Why don't I walk you there," Sicheng said, standing up. 

"Hell yeah man. We could shower together." 

"I'm just gonna walk you there," Sicheng firmly answered. 

"Sicheng's my boyfriend, by the way," Yuta spoke up. 

"Oh, sorry man. I didn't mean it like that. I meant in a friendship way." Everyone else stared at him uncomfortable. 

"Come on, let's go," Sicheng mumbled. 

"Shower!" Hendery cheered, and the dining hall door shut closed behind them. 

"He's...a character," Jaehyun said as soon as they were out of ear shot. 

"He's probably just a bit confused. I mean, he's been alone in the woods for who knows how long living off of uncooked ramen noodles," Yuta answered. 

"True, true," Jaehyun mumbled. 

Yuta sighed. "I kinda feel bad for him. I mean, he's got no money and nowhere to go." 

Doyoung hummed. "You know, Yangyang's been a big help, but Renjun and Kun have been begging for more people. They say it's a struggle when Yukhei can't help them, especially for clean up times..." 

"Actually, we put out an email for donations and a bunch of parents have been pitching in," Jaehyun added. "We could definitely afford to take on another person." 

"You mean him?" Yuta asked with surprise. 

"I mean if Yangyang is capable of doing it, I think anybody is capable," Doyoung answered. 

"But where would this guy sleep?" Yuta asked.

"He could sleep on the floor in one of the cabins. He doesn't seem like the type of person who would mind," Jaehyun said. 

Yuta sighed. "You're right. He's right here and we could help him out a bit." 

Just then Sicheng and Hendery returned. Yuta and Sicheng had been right; he really was handsome as hell under all of that dirt and in fresh clothes. He looked a little less dopey as well. 

"Thanks for the shower, dudes," he said. 

"No problem," Jaehyun said. 

"Now sit down," Doyoung spoke, and with a glance around Hendery did as he was told. "Now look, you came at a good time, because we've actually been looking for more staff members. You could work in the kitchen and help prepare meals for the campers, and we'll pay you minimum wage, plus you can sleep in the cabins for free." 

"On the floor," Jaehyun added. "But for free." 

"Money?" Hendery gasped. 

"Yup. Money," Doyoung answered. 

"Oh yeah! I'd love to work here," Hendery answered. 

"Alright then. Welcome aboard. We'll get you started right away," Jaehyun spoke

"Kun! Renjun!" Doyoung yelled, and Kun and Renjun poked their way out of the kitchen. 

"We got you another staff member," Jaehyun said. 

"We found him in the woods!" Yuta said excitedly. 

Kun's face immediately fell. "Another one?"