Store Breakdown

The Last Summer of the Boys

It was a typical morning for Taeil: wake up, eat breakfast with the others, then make his way down to the store alone. Unlock the door, turn on all the lights, double check to make sure everything was working and nobody had stolen anything, take the register out of the safe, then wait for the children to come and spend all day bothering him (which he didn't mind, but they didn't need to know that). 

Only, today was different. As soon as he unlocked the door the asive smell of ice cream, maybe even bad ice cream, filled the small cabin. Gasping, Taeil quickly flicked the lights on and ran to the ice cream fridge. The lights were off and when he pulled out a bag for an ice cream bar, it was like liquid inside. The fridges were broken. 

As Taeil sighed deeply he checked all of the other fridges in the room he realized all of them were off. The electricity must have broken some time after he closed the place down. . Doyoung was definitely going to have a heart attack. 

Sighing, Taeil reached for his walkie talkie. "Hey guys," he said defeatedly. "Bad news down at the store." 

"Oh ," Ten answered. 

"What is it?" Jaehyun said and Taeil could hear the nervousness in his voice. 

"The fridges are broken." 

"All of them?" Doyoung cried. 

"All of them." 

There was a long silence before anyone spoke. "Taeyong, Ten, get down there. Yuta, you can stay trying to fix the rusty spike," Doyoung ordered. 

"I'll be there in a second. Don't worry about it Doyoung; you just stay down at the pool," Jaehyun added. 

Soon enough Jaehyun, Taeyong, and Ten had arrived at the store, grimacing at the liquidated ice cream. 

"Let's get all of the refridgerated stuff out of here," Jaehyun said. So the four of them spent their whole morning doing that, up until lunch when they finally got a break. While they were eating, Jaehyun and Doyoung pulled the three of them aside. 

"Alright, Taeyong and Ten, you guys should go figure out what's going on." Doyoung said and the couple nodded seriously. "I'll finish my shift on lifeguard duty, and Jaehyun and Jaemin will get the ice cream organized for restock, since he's not working at all," he added with a little glare in Jaemin's direction.

"What about me?" Taeil asked. 

"Oh. Well, we figured you could do what you want. Since you're the only store person you're always stuck there after all," Jaehyun explained. 

Slowly, Taeil grinned. "That sounds awesome." 

So after lunch when Johnny was organizing his campers to leave, Taeil bounded over to him and back hugged him with a big smile. 

"Whatcha doing darling?" Johnny asked, grinning back at his boyfriend. "I heard about the store. Are you okay?" He asked, switching to a more serious voice. 

Taeil giggled. "I'm fine. They gave me the rest of the day off to fix the store though, so I came to help you." 

"Really? Are you sure you just don't wanna relax?" 

"What's the point in relaxing if I can't do it with you?" Taeil responded, and Johnny smiled at him, grabbing his hand. 

"Ooh Johnny's with his boyfriend!" One of Johnny's campers teased as soon as they left the dining hall. 

"What is the store guy doing here?" Another asked. 

"Well the store is broken so Taeil came here to help us!" Johnny cheerfully explained. 

"He's not here to help, you guys are just going to make out," one said. 

Both Taeil and Johnny scoffed. "What makes you think that?" Johnny asked incredulously. 

"The teenagers said that their counselors made out during the movie thingie," another answered. 

"Well...um...the two of us are a little bit older than counselor Mark and counselor Donghyuck so...well, we don't really do that. In front of children," Taeil answered. 

"I'm not a child I'm twelve!" One of the campers responded. 

"So what you're saying is that you guys are lame," another teased. 

"We- we are not lame. We're very cool," Johnny answered.

"I disagree. I think you two are lame-os," a camper said. 

Johnny and Taeil sighed and rolled their eyes. "Do you guys go to parties in college? Go clubbing?" one of them asked. 

"That's not really our thing," Taeil explained. 

"Then what do you do?" a camper asked. 

"We, um...we play with our cats," Johnny sheepishly explained. 

"Then you guys are lame!" A ten year old cried, then all of Johnny's campers spoke up in agreement. 

"Hey!" Johnny spoke, loudly and sternly, then cleared his throat. "Anyways, guys, come gather around and I'll explain what we're doing today." The kids all chuckled under their breaths and circled around the very tall counselor, while Taeil leaned in his shoulder. "So in this bucket are...drum roll please...water balloons! But but but!" He said sternly when the kids started reaching for them. "We have to go over the rules. Can anyone think of one?" 

"Don't hit anyone in the on purpose," one of the campers suggested. Johnny and Taeil shared a look and Taeil had to clamp a hand over his mouth to keep from laughing. 

"Yes, yes, that's definitely true. Don't forget other sensitive places-" 

"Like the balls!" Another twelve year old cried out. 

"Yes, those, but also the face and neck and . So don't hit there." The campers giggled when Johnny said '' and Taeil and Johnny shared yet another look. 

"Also, if someone says time out then don't hit them. But if you're on time out you can't hit anyone else," Taeil added, coming up with that off the top of his head. 

"Great guys, let's get started. Ready, set, go!" Johnny yelled, all of the campers immediately rushing for the balloons. 

But instead of pelting each other, the counselors were immediately covered in water: every single one of the campers hit them. Shocked and drenched, the boys stared at the giggling campers before Taeil grabbed his own balloon out of the bucket. 

"Oh, it's on." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay, but what is up with this damn camp? Why does literally nothing work?" Ten grumbled as he and Ten stood by the wiring of the store fridges, desperately trying to make them work. 

"I'm sure this stuff hasn't even been looked at since it was put in place," Taeyong answered. 

Ten sighed. "True. This fridge is literally from the late seventies." 

Ten and Taeyong sighed, going back to work. 

"At least the store is cool. Poor Yuta's working outside in the hot sun." 

"Yeah," Ten answered, twisting a wire back into place and hearing a tiny jolt of electricity. 

"Oh!" Taeyong cried excitedly, and he and Ten shared a smile. 

Ten giggled and set to work resetting all the little lines of wiring.

"You know, this job isn't so bad." Taeyong said softly

"Fixing the fridges you mean? I agree. This is kinda satisfying," Ten answered. 

"No, I mean, yeah, but I mean like...the whole job. Being the maintenance people." 

Slowly, Ten nodded. "Yeah, it's kinda nice." 

"I mean, there's always a shortage of maintenance people like this...plumbers, electricians...we could always get jobs in that industry. We already have experience." 

Ten laughed. "Look at us. Who would have thought, the two worst students in our respective high schoolers, who ditched college to go travel like bums, would get stable, respectable jobs?" 

Taeyong giggled at that. "True," he mumbled. 

"But you're right," Ten spoke, more seriously. "It might be nice." 

"I mean...not yet, we're still too young. We've got a couple years of partying left in us. But...soon." 

Ten smiled back at him just as the fridge lights came back on. "Soon." 

"Yay!" Taeyong cried, hugging his husband tightly despite the dirt and sweat. 

Ten suddenly turned to him. "Wait, what do you mean by soon?" 

They were both silent for a moment, looking into each other's eyes. Even when they had first started dating they had always been so in sync, knowing everything the other was feeling without any words spoken. And with time, their connection had only gotten stronger and they were somehow even better attuned to each other. So Ten quickly knew what Taeyong was thinking. Why he said soon. 

"Taeyong," Ten whined. "Are you really thinking that?" 

"I-I mean..." 

"We're too young for kids!" Ten cried. "You're only twenty-one, and I'm only twenty." Taeyong didn't move or say anything else, and Ten quickly sighed. " you're right. I do want kids soon too." 

"Well, like, we're already married..." Taeyong said softly. 

Ten sighed. "True, true. Plus we kind of sort of raised Chenle and Jisung already..." 

Wordlessly, Taeyong hugged Ten tightly, and slowly Ten hugged back. "Not right after camp though. No way." 

Taeyong giggled. "Of course not! We need money first. We're way too broke." 

"We are. We really are." They both chuckled, still holding each other. "Boy or girl?" Ten practically whispered. 

"Boy," Taeyong answered without hesitation. 

"How are you so sure?" Ten asked, pulling back to look over Taeyong's face. 

"So we can send him here, of course."