Their Last Real Day

The Last Summer of the Boys

As Taeil stood outside the store, he sighed. This was where he had spent literally his entire summer, in this one cabin, talking to campers to counselors and taking candy bars for himself. It was bittersweet, really, the store cabin's air conditioning had been wonky at best, and it would be nice to not be dying of heatstroke every day. But at the same time...it was a wonderful summer. A perfect summer. 

He finally locked the door for good and went to go find his boyfriend. Luckily they wouldn't have to be separated since they lived together after all, but that hadn't had too much time this summer and Taeil was craving it. 

He found him quickly, standing in a circle with his campers in the middle of the field. It looked awfully sad, and Taeil's heart panged at the sight. 

"Alright guys," Johnny said. "I think that's it." 

To Taeil's shock, he heard the nastiest of all Johnny's twelve year olds sniffle before the whole crowd of them ran over to Johnny to hug him. They all started crying onto Johnny's massive chest and although Johnny smiled and patted their backs, Taeil knew Johnny was sad too. 

"Taeil!" Johnny cried as soon as he spotted his boyfriend. 

"Come here and hug us too!" One of Johnny's younger campers added. So with a bittersweet smile, Taeil did as they asked. 

~~~~~~~~~~

For the first time that entire summer, not one thing at camp was broken. Not a lightbulb, not a bunk bed, nothing. 

So finally, Ten and Taeyong were free. And it was kind of the best day to be free, so they could fully appreciate their last day. 

Taeyong and Ten wandered amongst the camp grounds, through the trees and the gravel and the birds, through the children laughing and running and crying, up to the spot they loved the most: the ledge. 

Laying down on those rocks, Taeyong's head in Ten's lap, hands combing through the cheap dye worn strands, everything was at peace. The day was sad but Ten and Taeyong weren't, just taking in these last moments with a smile. 

"It's so full circle, you know?" 

Ten didn't have to explain; Taeyong knew exactly what he meant. Just like everything they expressed to one another, ever since they'd first met when they were basically babies. 

"I know." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Bye guys! Don't forget to pack!" Sicheng called to his little campers, all sobbing in the grass. Yuta stood behind him; with this free time he could support his boyfriend.

"But I'll miss you!" One cried. 

"Can't you come to my house and be my babysitter?" Another added. 

Sicheng chuckled, holding it together for the kids. "I wish I could sweetie. But if you come back next summer I'll be there." 

"Really?" 

"Let's pack now! Then we can get to next summer faster!" One of the little ones screamed and they all ran off back to their cabins. 

As soon as the kids were gone Sicheng broke, turning to cry into Yuta's shoulder. Yuta rubbed his back, whispering in his ear that everything would be alright. 

"I-I'm gonna miss this so much," he sobbed. "Being here is the best part of my life." 

"Oh Sicheng. You don't have to feel that way any more, remember? You have somewhere wonderful to go back to now. With me." 

Sicheng looked up at Yuta, managing a smile. For the first time in his life, he was a little excited to see what the time after camp had in store.

~~~~~~~~~~

" ," Doyoung grumbled, racing to the other side of the office, papers scattering in his wake. "Do you have Timmy's insurance forms?" 

"," Jaehyun answered, shuffling through the forms like a dog burying a bone. "Here here here!" He cried, handing it to Doyoung as he stuffed it into Timmy's file. 

Doyoung breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank god. If that form had disappeared..." 

"We'd be dead," Jaehyun finished. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun both looked up for a moment, locking eyes amongst the absolute chaos of their offices. 

"Five minute break?" Doyoung suggested, and Jaehyun made a surprised smile.

"Yeah." 

The two pushed some stuff off the couch and sat down, Jaehyun slinging his arm around Doyoung's shoulder. They still had so much to do, but camp was almost over. They had to appreciate it. 

"Do you think we did a good job?" Jaehyun asked. 

Doyoung scoffed. "Of course we did." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Bye!" Jungwoo called to his campers as they dejectedly walked back to their cabin. Both Jungwoo and Yukhei turned, wiping the tears from their eyes and going back to the shed for Yukhei to organize his "adventure counselor" supplies. 

"I'll miss them so much," Yukhei mumbled, stuffing everything into a bag. 

"Me too," Jungwoo added, but slowly he began to smile. He gave his boyfriend a back hug and nestled into his broad shoulder.

Yukhei giggled. "What is it?" 

"I'm excited too though. After this we still get to be together, you know? And we get to start completely fresh. We can just get rid of all the baggage from our first year of school." 

Yukhei grinned back at his boyfriend. "True." 

"Are you worried that we...might break up again?" 

Yukhei shook his head and leaned in closer to Jungwoo. "Not at all, baby. Not at all." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Outside of their camper's cabins, Mark and Donghyuck were saying goodbye. From a distance, Mark could see Donghyuck's campers hugging him, some even tearing up. Donghyuck didn't even have the heart to tease, just comforting them all. 

Mark's campers suddenly opened their door. "Are you here to say goodbye?" One asked, and Mark nodded. 

And to Mark's utter shock, all of them pulled him in for a hug. 

"Wait, wh-what?" 

"We're sorry. We were kind of s to you," the meanest of them admitted. 

Mark scoffed. "Kind of?" 

"You did your best. I mean, you're like...barely older than us," another spoke. 

They broke from the hug and Mark stood before them. "Well...thank you for that." 

"Nah, thank you dude." 

Mark grinned. "You better keep all of this in mind when you become counselors." 

The campers groaned. "I dunno if I could do that," another admitted. 

They all shared a soft sigh and Mark nodded. "I'll let you guys have your personal goodbyes and pack up your things. Be ready bright and early tomorrow!" 

The campers groaned but waved goodbye and shut the door, and Mark ran over to Donghyuck. Quietly, the two made their way to the stream and made sure none of their campers were watching. As soon as they were sure they were alone, they shared a secret cry. 

~~~~~~~~~~

As Jeno and Jaemin covered the tarp over the pool for the last time, they shared a bright smile. 

"This is the first time I've ever been excited to start school after camp," Jaemin admitted. 

"Me too," Jeno gently answered.

Jaemin sighed softly, wrapping his arms around Jeno's waist. "I'm so glad we did what we did, you know? Now we can really and truly be together, no inhibitions." 

Jeno held Jaemin back and pecked his lips, staring into his bright eyes. "No inhibitions, my love."

~~~~~~~~~~

Chenle and Jisung were sitting on the steps of the locked up art shack, Chenle's legs swung over Jisung's lap, looking over camp with bittersweet eyes. 

"Nobody...nobody else is that sad. Not like us," Jisung said forlornly. 

"I know," Chenle answered. All of the other counselors were moving on to college, to being together, whenever they wanted. But since Chenle and Jisung were still in high school they were separated, by state lines and ty teenagers. It had always been sad to part but now that they were together it was so different. 

"Just one year, right? One more year," Chenle spoke. 

"One more ing year," Jisung grumbled. 

"One more year without pining, at the very least? One more year where I can say you look cute that day and tell you that I love you." 

Jisung gave a small smile and gripped Chenle's hand. "You're right. Maybe it won't be so bad." 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was their final day and Renjun, Kun, Hendery, and Yangyang were cleaning up the kitchen, only leaving out what was necessary for dinner and breakfast the next day. Kun and Renjun seemed over the moon, both getting to see their partners soon after camp ends. But for Yangyang and Hendery...they both knew what the other was feeling. And they really weren't sure what to feel. 

"Hey guys," Jaehyun spoke, him and Doyoung barging into the kitchen. 

"Paycheck time!" Doyoung said, and everyone but Yangyang cheered. 

Confusedly, Yangyang watched as everyone got an envelope. Even he got one. 

"What's this?" He asked. 

Doyoung gave him a confused look. "Your paycheck?" 

"What...what does that even mean?" 

Renjun sighed and rolled his eyes. "A paycheck is what you get for working. It's a check." 

Yangyang thought for a moment before gasping in understanding. "Wait, is this how commoners make money." 

Everyone stared stunned for a moment before bursting into laughter. Hendery came along and slapped him on the back. 

"Welcome to the world of the commoners, kiddo."