Finally

The Last Summer of the Boys

It was after lunch and Jisung and Chenle were headed to the art shack, which wasn't at all unusual. What was unusual, however, is that they were followed by Taeyong, Ten, Renjun, Kun, Hendery, and Yangyang. 

Taeyong, Ten, and the kitchen staff had cornered Chenle and Jisung during breakfast that day, asking them if any other counselors had wanted to take their campers to the art shack that afternoon. When Chenle and Jisung answered no, those six boys insisted that they all hold a meeting in the art shack that afternoon. Even after pestering and pestering them what it was about, neither Chenle nor Jisung could convince them to reveal what it's about. 

The arrived and the six boys sat around the dirty, paint covered table, inviting Jisung and Chenle to join them. Hesitantly, they slid into the seats. 

"We have called this meeting because literally every single person at this camp, including the counselors, campers, and both of you are very fed up with you two," Renjun said. 

"Not in a bad way!" Taeyong countered. 

"What....what does that even mean?" Jisung asked. 

"We're tired of ourselves? And each other? What did we even do?" Chenle added. 

"Yes," Yangyang simply clarified. 

"It's not about what you have done. It's about what you haven't done," Kun explained. 

"Guys, stop being so cryptic," Jisung spoke with a sigh. 

Ten sighed back. "Well...you two have a secret that you're keeping from one other. And we think it's time you shared it." 

Jisung and Chenle immediately reddened and refused to look at one another. 

"Wh-what secret?" Jisung spoke with an awkward chuckle. 

"Y-yeah, we're best friends. We don't have any secrets from each other," Chenle added. 

Yangyang snorted and Hendery clamped a hand over his mouth. 

"That's bull and both of you know it," Ten said very calmly and Jisung tried to give him a secret death glare. 

"Literally everyone will be happy once you guys talk. You guys most of all," Taeyong added. 

"Everyone's so invested in this, you know? All the campers, all of the counselors..." Hendery trailed off. 

"So, we'll leave you two to it," Kun said, and the six boys started to stand up. 

After a moment of processing, Jisung stood up to chase after them. "Wait, what the guys," he whined as they closed the door. But when he got to the door to open it...it was locked. 

Jisung gasped and turned to look at Chenle who was still frozen in shock. "They locked us in here," Jisung said. 

"No," Chenle mumbled, standing up and jiggling with the door, but that was it. It was shut tight. 

"Guys!" Chenle yelled. 

"We're not opening it until you share your secret," Ten answered. 

"What will Doyoung and Jaehyun have to say about this? That we can't do our job?" Jisung said loudly. 

"They're in on it," Yangyang smugly answered. 

Jisung and Chenle shared a defeated look. 

"I hate them," Jisung mumbled. 

"Me too," Chenle answered. They both sighed and looked at the floor. 

"I...I don't have a secret. I swear," Jisung said, and Chenle's heart wavered a little bit. 

"Me too," Chenle lied. 

Jisung sighed. "Well, what can we do?"

Chenle looked around the shack, anywhere but at Jisung's face. He knew it would hurt just to look at it. "I mean, I guess we could clean up. This place is in need of some organization." 

"You're right," Jisung answered. "That'll probably take a while, and then when we're done we can get them to let us out because they'll be bored of this." 

"True. Very true." 

The boys proceeded to get to work, the silence heavy. Silence was unusual between them, especially on Chenle's part, but now he just wanted and needed to think. 

He knew what his secret was. But did Jisung? Would those boys lie and say Jisung had a secret too, just to get Chenle to confess, when he actually didn't? This was mean, but he couldn't imagine his friends and pseudo parents being that cruel. 

But...what could Jisung's secret be? oh. It was probably whoever he said he was in love with when they played truth or dare four days ago. Chenle sighed. Did his friends really get him in here so he could confess to Jisung and be rejected? It was painful, but he could see the merit. If that happened Chenle would be hurt, but maybe he could finally get over his crush and be able to be friends, just friends, with Jisung. 

When he looked over at his best friend, his first love cleaning, he could see everything. He could see the way his shoulders sagged and how the quiet boy was even quieter than usual. Why would Jisung be upset? Why would he be nervous? Chenle couldn't figure it out. So he just sighed, and got back to work. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later, the art shack was spotless, even cleaner than when they first arrived. But sadly, that meant there was nothing more they could do. 

"What do we do now?" Jisung asked, sighing as he slumped in a chair. 

"Beg the boys for freedom, I guess," Chenle answered. 

The boys both went to the (also locked) window and started screaming the names of the other counselors, whichever popped into their heads first. 

Taeyong and Ten quickly rushed over wearing excited smiles. "Did you guys share your secrets?" 

Chenle and Jisung looked at each other nervously. "Um, yeah," Chenle lied. 

"Of course we did," Jisung added. Ten and Taeyong raised their eyebrows in a way that let Jisung and Chenle know they knew they were lying. 

"Then what's the secret?" Ten asked. 

Chenle and Jisung shared another glance. "Um, turns out we both do drugs!" Jisung came up with off of the top of his head. 

Ten and Taeyong sighed. "Um, during truth or dare Chenle didn't even recognize the weed Mark stole from his campers," Taeyong answered. 

"Plus we all know that's not the secret. We can't let you out yet, goodbye," Ten said, and he and Taeyong grabbed hands and walked away. 

"Wait!" Chenle cried. Only Taeyong turned back, giving them a shrug and a pitying glance. 

Slowly, Chenle got the courage to look at Jisung, and Jisung did too. They locked eyes and Chenle flushed. 

"Do you think they'll ever let us out? To eat? To sleep?" Jisung asked worriedly, and Chenle shook his head. 

"Not if Renjun is involved. And he is." 

Jisung sighed very deeply and averted his eyes. "If we're really stuck then..." he sighed again. "I guess I do have a secret. I really didn't want to tell you but...we're gonna have to go to the bathroom at some point." 

Chenle looked up at him in shock. "I...I do too." 

"You do?" Jisung asked hurriedly. 

"Yeah." 

"U-um, let's sit down then," Jisung answered and the two sat across from each other at the little kiddie table. Jisung immediately sat on his hands, the thing he always did when he was so nervous his hands were shaky, and that only made Chenle's heart beat harder in his own chest. He was so scared he could have cried. Was this going to ruin everything? Why was Jisung just as nervous as him? 

"U-um..." Jisung trailed off, trying to stall.

"Come on, let's get this over with," Chenle mumbled. 

Jisung sighed. "Okay who should go first?" he asked. 

"We should just say them at the same time," Chenle answered. 

"Good idea. One the count of three?"

Chenle nodded.

"One, two, three, I like you. What?" Both of them said simoultaneously. 

All of the sudden, it felt like Chenle's world flipped upside down and from the look in Jisung's eyes, it was clear his had too. 

"Oh my god," Chenle said breathlessly, his voice shaking. 

"I didn't think...I really didn't think...." 

"Me either," Chenle answered. 

"How long?" Jisung asked. 

"First day, second year of camp. Ever since then," Chenle explained. "You?" 

"Um...it was during truth or dare during the second year of camp, when you kissed me on the cheek...do you remember that?" 

"Of course," Chenle said. "Of course." 

"We've...we've liked each other for that long? Five years?" 

Chenle for the first time that day slowly started to smile. "I...I guess we have." 

Jisung slowly smiled too and Chenle thought his heart would burst. They both started giggling. "Of course everyone else was fed up! This has been going on for five years!" 

"I just...I just can't believe it. I...Didn't you like Kun?" 

"Kun? Why would you think that? I never liked Kun," Chenle answered incredulously. 

"You told me! You told me you liked him the second year of camp." 

Chenle's jaw dropped. "I have no memory of that." 

"Then why did you say it?" 

"I must have said it because I didn't want you to know I liked you!" Chenle answered. "And what about this year? Why did you say you've been in love before?" 

"Because I'm in love with you Chenle," Jisung said seriously, looking at the ground. 

Chenle took in a large breath. Those were the words he had wanted to hear since he was twelve years old but never thought he would actually hear. But now, he was, straight out of Jisung's mouth, and it was magic. 

"I'm in love with you too," Chenle answered, barely above a whisper. They looked each other in the eyes, both of them slowly smiling again. 

"Can I...can I touch you?" Jisung asked hesitantly. 

"Please," Chenle breathed out and Jisung just cupped his cheek, rubbing in circles and Chenle felt like he was going to melt into a puddle of lovey dovey goo. 

"What happens now?" Jisung asked, Chenle grabbing Jisung's free hand in his own. 

"Do we...date? Should we be a couple?" Chenle asked. Chenle could see the hesitance in Jisung's eyes, and he knew it was in his own. Despite how strongly they loved each other their friendship meant far more to both of them. 

"What if we ruin everything?" Jisung whispered, and Chenle shared that very same fear, that a relationship could ruin the friendship they had and needed to keep so badly. 

But Chenle didn't want to stay just friends. He wanted this, Jisung cupping his cheek and holding his hand and being loved by him in the full capacity that either of them could. "See...Jisung, if this was a recent thing I would say that we shouldn't do this. But it's been five years. Five years of liking each other and those feelings never faded, for etiher of us. We've liked each other almost as long as we've known each other. So...it's probably destiny, you know? Being together is probably what we're meant to do." 

Jisung smiled at that and he knew immediately that that was what Jisung wanted to hear too. "And you know, almost all of our friends have lasted. Nobody's broken up permanently. I think relationships made here at Camp Purple are meant to last." 

"Me too," Chenle mumbled. Jisung and Chenle looked at each other, eyes darting between lips and lashes. 

"You know, I've never kissed anyone outside of truth or dare," Jisung admitted. 

"Me either," Chenle answered. "I...I want to kiss you so bad. I've wanted to kiss you so bad." 

"Then we should do it," Jisung answered, and slowly leaning in, the two pressed their lips together. And immediately, they knew everything was right. 

Keeping it simple and chaste and loving they slowly pulled away and Chenle looked up to see Jisung's eyes wet. 

"Jisung, are you cr-" 

Jisung interrupted Chenle with another, deeper kiss and Chenle forgot immediately, the two in their own world until their friend's voice pulled them out of it. 

"Oh my god they did it!" Yukhei cried. Chenle and Jisung turned their heads to see him staring at them excitedly through the window. Slowly, everyone else gathered around and cheered. 

"Yay, great, we're boyfriends now, but caN YOU PLEASE LET US OUT OF HERE?" Chenle cried, and Jisung buried his head in Chenle's shoulder. Things could not have been better.