The Dreaded Night

The Last Summer of the Boys

It was a night both Mark and Donghyuck were dreading: the teen movie night. 

They had let their campers loose and spent all day setting it up at the beach, gathering the snacks from Taeil, getting the butter and the salt and the popcorn and the popcorn maker, spending hours trying to figure out how to work the decades old projector. It was arduous labor, but they both knew it wouldn't be as bad as the actual movie time. Neither of them wanted to have whiny teenagers angry at them, leaving without supervision and worse, making out in front of them. 

But there was one plus, and it was that they were together. 

They had been so busy lately that it was rare they got moments with each other. Even at night in bed, there were two other couples and Yangyang in the cabin with them. Luckily though because of their counselor positions there were a few activities where they needed to combine their groups, and today was one of them. 

During dinner the pair went up to Doyoung and Jaehyun, holding hands nervously. 

"Hey guys, what's up?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Today's teen movie night, what movie is it gonna be?" Mark asked. 

"Oh, we picked it out earlier today! Let me go grab it," Jaehyun said, jogging up the stairs to their office. 

"Is it gonna be decent?" Donghyuck asked. Doyoung made a face and Mark and Donghyuck shared a worried look. 

Jaehyun brought it down and handed it to them, and Mark and Donghyuck's jaws dropped when they saw the title. 

"The emoji movie?" Mark angrily whispered so the campers wouldn't hear. 

"Really guys? What the hell. Do you want this to go horribly wrong?" Donghyuck groaned. 

Doyoung sighed. "Look; this was the best DVD we had in the back. I don't know what to tell you." 

"Well when our campers go missing I'm blaming you," Donghyuck answered. 

"How could the emoji movie be the best?" Mark said. 

"Believe me, it was," Jaehyun answered. 

Donghyuck and Mark shared a deep sigh. 

"We hate you guys," Donghyuck said. 

"Yup," Mark added, and the two walked over to their individual campers to talk. 

"Hey guys!" Mark said, and the campers looked up at him indignantly. The campers and Mark were at least civil now, but Mark knew that relationship rested on the edge of a knife. "Tonight's the teen movie night! It'll be great! We have snacks!" 

"What's the movie?" One of them asked. 

"Uh...you'll see!" Mark answered with a very uncomfortable chuckle. Immediately they all groaned. 

"It's gonna be some ty kid's movie right?" 

"You don't know that!" Mark responded. 

"We're not going. We can have way more fun in the cabin." 

"Come on! There will be snacks! Free snacks!" 

The campers all huddled together and shared a whispered conversation. "Fine," the oldest of them spoke. "But the snacks better be good." 

Mark smiled. "Oh...they are." 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was after dinner and Mark and Donghyuck were leading their campers to the lakeside projector, hand in hand. The emoji movie dvd felt like a massive weight in the bag of snacks but it was so nice for Mark and Donghyuck to just be together that they could almost forget about it. 

Mark and Donghyuck swung their hands back and forth, smiling at each other in the twilight. This was so nice, just being together. In previous years there was always the urgency of camp's ending, the sadness that accompanied them because they knew it would all end at some point. That little anxiety that made everything moment less casual and sweet, knowing that they wouldn't be able to be together afterward for almost a whole year. 

But this time things were different. Now in the fall Donghyuck and Mark were going to be together, on the same dorm floor, able to see each other as much as they wanted. There were some nerves that came with that; they had never spent quite so much time together before. But they had worked for so many years before, right? So it had to work now. 

"I can't wait, you know?" Donghyuck said. 

"For what?" Mark answered. 

"For when we go to school of course," Donghyuck answered. 

"I mean, we should enjoy the summer, but..." 

"I know, I know. But I am just so excited for everything. Walking you to classes...restaurant dates...holding hands like this on campus..." 

Mark giggled and blushed. "You're so cute." 

"No you," Donghyuck quietly answered. 

"Well...me too. I want to show you all my favorite cafes and places to hang out. I wanna introduce you to all of my friends and show you off. I don't think they believe you're real...summer camp boyfriend sounds so fake." 

"I can't wait to prove your friends wrong," Donghyuck answered, pecking Mark's lips. "But first things first...we have to get through this." 

"You know...back when we were campers we all thought we hated the teen movie night. But I think we all secretly kinda liked it because we could make out and didn't have to fight for the cabins," Mark said. 

"Agreed," Donghyuck answered. "Taeyong and Ten would always sneak off and take the cabin though." 

"Well they were doing... other stuff," Mark said, blushing a little. 

"It's so cute that you still blush whenever we talk about ," Donghyuck mumbled so the campers wouldn't hear, making Mark blush. 

"Ooh! Are you two a couple?" one of Donghyuck's campers asked. 

"Yes we are," Donghyuck said proudly. 

"Did you meet this summer?" another questioned. 

"No way. We met when we were campers, when I was twelve and he was thirteen," Donghyuck explained. 

"Wow, you've been together all that time?" 

"Yup," Mark answered proudly. 

"Mark, I'm surprised you even have a boyfriend," one of Mark's campers interrupted. 

"Oh shut the up and leave him alone," Donghyuck answered, and Mark's campers immediately closed their mouths. 

"Maybe we shouldn't mess with him," they heard one of Mark's campers whisper, and Mark and Donghyuck shared a smile. Donghyuck squeezed Mark's hand protectively and they walked further down the path. 

Soon enough their campers started leaving them alone, talking (and gossiping) amongst themselves. 

"Why are you so quiet?" Donghyuck asked. 

"I'm trying to hear the camper gossip," Mark whispered. 

"Oh you wanna know? I'll just tell you later. My campers tell me everything," Donghyuck whispered back. 

"Seriously?" Mark whined before pouting, just as they stepped into the area where they set up the movie. 

The campers sat down and Mark and Donghyuck handed out the snacks, giving each other a quick hand squeeze for comfort before switching on the projector to show what movie it was. 

"THE ING EMOJI MOVIE?" One of Mark's campers yelled. 

"The hell is your problem?" Another added.  

"When we agreed to come we knew it would , but it didn't have to be this bad..." One of Mark's shyest campers spoke up. 

"You think we wanted this? We don't have a choice. Doyoung and Jaehyun picked for us and we begged for a better movie. We don't wanna watch this either," Donghyuck responded. 

The campers were silent. 

"Fine," the oldest of Mark's campers said. Donghyuck and Mark shared a little smile; it was clear Donghyuck had won the older camper's respect. And so, they switched on the movie. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty minutes in and Mark and Donghyuck were suffering. 

"This movie really does ," Mark mumbled.

"Yeah. Our poor campers," Donghyuck whispered back. 

Mark hummed and played with his fingers before looking up at Donghyuck. "You know...this reminds me of the old teen movie nights." 

"Really baby boy?" Donghyuck said, a smirk on his lips. Mark bit his lip shyly and leaned in closer. 

"Y-You know... I'm sure all the teens are busy...doing..." 

"I know what you mean," Donghyuck whispered seductively. 

"I don't think they would notice if we-"

Donghyuck grabbed Mark by the back of his neck and tugged him closer. "Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't notice." 

~~~~~~~~~~

When the noise of the movie stopped and the home screen lit up the beach, Mark and Donghyuck pulled away from each other to see all of their campers staring at them. Mark immediately turned bright red. 

"Ew," one of the thirteen year olds said. 

"What?" Donghyuck asked. 

"Why the hell would you make out, on the job, in front of your campers? That's just weird," One of the sixteen year olds piped. 

"Oh come on, you guys were doing it too," Donghyuck spoke. 

"No, we were not," an eighteen year old said. 

"On the beach? In public? In front of everyone else? That's gross," a fifteen year old added. 

"I dunno, it was kinda hot," a fourteen year old said. 

Donghyuck retched in his mouth and Mark grimaced. 

"Alright come on guys," Donghyuck said, standing up. "Let's forget about this and get back to camp." 

"Oh hell no," the oldest of Mark's campers said. "We will not let you forget this." Mark's campers all spoke up in agreement, and Mark groaned. He was so ed.