Daily Life at Camp Purple

The Last Summer of the Boys

It was early in the morning, while Jeno and Jaemin had already ate and the campers were in breakfast when they were setting up the pool. It was warm but not too warm, and the breeze made Jeno feel endlessly comfortable. 

Jaemin gently put his things down and pulled Jeno into a tight hug, Jeno sighing softly into his embrace. This was nice, unbelievably nice. 

"So..." Jaemin said gently, raising his eyebrows. "When do you think I should ask for the cabin?" Jeno tensed in Jaemin's arms. "This week? Tonight?" 

Jeno's breathing climbed higher and Jaemin pulled away from the hug, looking at Jaemin with furrowed eyebrows. "Are you alright?" 

"Yeah, I'm great," Jeno answered with a little chuckle. 

"A-are you sure," Jaemin asked, reaching to hold his hands. Jaemin seemed really concerned and Jeno couldn't stand it; he had to get out of this. 

"Are you?" Jeno asked, pulling away from Jaemin to splash him with the pool water. Jaemin's jaw dropped before he broke into laughter, splashing Jeno back. 

And so they continued that way, splashing each other until they opened the pool way late, and Jaemin had no idea of where Jeno stood. But Jeno did, and the weight stayed in his heart. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

After breakfast Jungwoo was gathering his kids for their activities of the day when he felt a pair of strong arms wrap around his waist. He exhaled softly; he hadn't realized how much he'd missed that feeling until it was gone. 

"Hi baby," Yukhei mumbled into the crook of his neck. 

Jungwoo giggled. "Hi.." 

As soon as the children spotted Yukhei they started screaming and hugging his legs; he was by far the most popular counselor among the young kids. "Can Yukhei help us today?" 

"Is Yukhei free today?" Jungwoo asked, turning to look at him. 

"Yes he is. He would love to come help out the eight to nines." The campers started cheering and bouncing up and down, and Jungwoo and Yukhei shared a laugh. 

The two led the campers out of the dining hall, swinging in their hands. 

"Go change into sports clothes!" Jungwoo said, and the kids all dashed to their cabins to change.

"What do you have planned?" Yukhei whispered. 

Jungwoo shrugged and laughed, and Yukhei laughed along.

~~~~~~~~~~

After looking back and forth, Taeyong and Ten began to run. Today was a light day in terms of maintenance, for once, and they wanted a moment alone. Taeyong lead Ten along the grassy path until they reached the bridge above the little stream. Ten leaned over it to watch the rapid water and Taeyong wrapped his body around his. 

"It's so peaceful, isn't it?" Ten spoke, so quiet it was almost a whisper. 

"I don't think there's anywhere more peaceful than here," Taeyong answered. "Especially when the campers haven't come out yet." 

Ten spun around so he and Taeyong were facing each other and suddenly yet gently kissed him. Taeyong didn't even need a moment to kiss back. 

"Guys!" A loud voice yelled. Taeyong and Ten broke their kiss and looked to see Yuta pouting at them. "Why did you abandon me?" He whined. 

"Come on! Do you have any idea how often you ditch us for Sicheng?" Taeyong yelled back. 

Yuta didn't answer, just making a face and stomped off. Taeyong and Ten laughed and leaned back in. 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was the late morning and the kids had come out of their cabins to play, children's happy yells and loud teenage chatter carrying all over the camp. Doyoung and Jaehyun watched over all of the camp from their little office attic, the window at the front giving them a view from right under the dining hall to the last set of cabins and the nature beyond. 

"Did we get Yangyang on the payroll yet? That was a narrow escape from doom...and he may cause more trouble again. God. Did Mark ever get those campers under control? And are all the cabins fixed up? And oh, I started looking for apartments on craigslist but the wifi's been so lately, there's, like, nothing good on craigslist, everything is so expensive...maybe I'll get an extra job when I go back to school or something..." 

"Doyoung..." 

"And did we ever call that one mom back?" 

"Doyoung," Jaehyun said a bit more firmly, rubbing his back. "Everything's okay. Yangyang has been fine and he filled out the papers this morning. Mark's campers like him and the cabins haven't broken in days. We have the whole rest of the summer to find an apartment and I'll take on more hours myself. And yes, we called that mom back three days ago. Everything is alright. Don't let your worry ruin this for you." 

Doyoung sighed deeply and hugged Jaehyun. "I hate it when you use your HR tactics from school on me." Jaehyun giggled. "But you're right. You're so right." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"I just can't believe making toast is so easy. Who knew?" Yangyang said, pulling the bread from the toaster for lunch's sandwiches. 

"Everyone. Everyone knew that," Renjun answered, just as the kitchen door burst open. Kun immediately dropped the jar of peanut butter in his hands. 

"Hey boys, sorry for the intrusion," Xiaojun says, putting a box of fruit down on the floor. "We forgot this one this morning." Kun stared at Xiaojun with a frightened look, Yangyang stared at Xiaojun with a sly smile, Xiaojun stared at Kun with a smirk, and Renjun stared at the sandwiches, trying not to laugh. 

Xiaojun completely ignored Yangyang and Renjun and walked over to Kun, leaning against the countertop. 

"Hey Kun," Xiaojun spoke, looking Kun up and down. 

"H-Hey," Kun asked. Even though they saw each other a couple times a week their relationship never progressed beyond this. 

"So...what are you up tomorrow?" He asked confidently. Kun's jaw dropped and Renjun and Yangyang shared a secret look of glee. This was the farthest they had ever gone. 

"A-actually," Kun stuttered, trying to concentrate on the sandwiches again. "Most of us are taking the day off tomorrow to hang out at the beach." 

"How would you feel if I stopped by?" Kun immediately spluttered and lost the ability to speak. 

"He'd feel great!" Renjun interrupted. "Just wonderful." 

"Alright then. I'll be there," Xiaojun answered, punctuating his words with a wink. Kun tried to pick up the peanut butter but dropped it again. "See you tomorrow," he said, and left. 

"So that's the infamous eyebrow boy?" Yangyang asked as soon as he was gone. 

"Yup," Kun said, forcefully spreading the peanut butter on the bread. 

"Wow, you're the most awkward person I have ever met in my life. Thank god he's a flirt." 

"Renjun, why the hell did you hire this kid?" Kun asked, ignoring Yangyang. 

"I am absolutely loathe to admit that Yangyang has ever been right about anything in his life. But he's right," Renjun said, and Kun glared as hard as he could. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Mark and Donghyuck were dying. It was the god damn hike and Mark and Donghyuck were not exactly the most fit people in the world, so this whole thing was hell, especially since they had to stay in front of the rest of the campers. 

Hand in hand they trudged up the hill, panting their lungs out. 

"This is the worst part of being the thirteen to fifteens counselor," Donghyuck complained. 

"If this is the worst part of your job then you're lucky," Mark answered, and they shared an exhausted chuckle. 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was far past lunch and close to dinner when Chenle and Jisung were helping the ten to twelves finish up their art projects for the days. It was an easy day, as they had only made friendship bracelets, and the kids were old enough to not drive them insane. 

They both went to the string drawer to start some when they both reached for the orange string, their hands brushing against one anothers. Immediately, it felt like a jolt of lightning went through Chenle's fingers all the way up to his heart, beating hard in his chest. They'd been friends for so long; how come Jisung still had the power to do this to him? 

He flushed and let Jisung grab the string, not daring to make eye contact. But maybe he should've, because if he'd looked up, he would have realized Jisung was blushing too. 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was dinnertime for the counselors and Yuta was holding Sicheng tight in his arms. As soon as he arrived he had collapsed into Yuta, groaning about how it had just been the most exhausting day of his life. 

"The kids are so tiring," Sicheng spoke. 

"Of course. And you're so good at handling them," Yuta answered, petting his hair. 

"But..." Sicheng paused and looked up at Yuta. "I don't wanna stop doing this." 

"What do you mean?" 

"I think I wanna do this. Work with little kids. Like...as a job." 

Yuta smiled down at him. "You'd be perfect for it." 

"Really?" Yuta nodded. "I'm glad. It's just so exciting, you know? College, then working with kids, with you the whole time... it's just amazing that I can decide what I want my future to look like." 

Yuta pecked Sicheng's lips. "I'll support you in whatever you want to do, as long as I can be by your side." 

~~~~~~~~~

It was finally bed time and the boys were crammed into their cabins, Taeil and Johnny pressed together on their tiny twin bed. They were spooning of course, the only comfortable position for two people to share on this bed, with Johnny wrapped around Taeil. 

"How do you think the cats are doing?" Taeil asked. 

"Our friend just sent us a text; they're doing great," Johnny answered, kissing Taeil's cheek. 

Taeil sighed. "We should finally get to bed." 

"You're right," Johnny answered. 

"Good night. I love you." 

Johnny smiled to himself. "I love you too."