Eyebrow Boy

The Last Summer of the Boys

“Honestly, I think we got the best job,” Renjun said, and Kun couldn’t agree more. This was their second round of prepping breakfast, and third day of working in the kitchen, and so far it had been great. Kun liked kids but after seeing how exhausted his friends were, he was glad he wasn't working with them (he was tired enough just serving them meals and cleaning up after them). He didn't know anything about art so the art shack wouldn't work, he couldn't swim either so being a lifeguard was out of the question, he wasn't exactly the most physical guy so Yukhei's job wouldn't be great, being on maintenance just seemed terrible, and Doyoung and Jaehyun clearly had the most stress out of everyone. So he was perfectly happy where he was. 

Plus, it was nice working with Renjun. They were from the same state so they got along easily; plus they had always been close friends when they had been campers. Renjun wasn't dating someone at camp either, so his boyfriend wasn't constantly barging in and distracting him from his work, and Kun wouldn't have to hear them incessantly be lovey dovey.

"Agreed," Kun answered, chopping up the waffles into waffle sticks as Renjun poured the maple syrup into cups. Kun looked over to see he'd finished, sticking the giant container of syrup back into the fridge. When he was done he gave Kun a sheepish look, and Kun had to hold back an eye roll. He knew exactly what was coming. 

"I finished pouring the syrup," he said, putting on that sickly sweet voice that did not suit him whatsoever. 

"Mmh-hmm." 

"So... can I go call my girlfriend? We're almost done and I'll come back as soon as it's time to serve." 

Kun sighed. "Go ahead." 

"Thank you thank you thank you!" Renjun answered, smiling and dashing to the little area behind the kitchen. Kun watched him go and then quickly returned to cutting up the waffles. 

It wasn't that Kun minded him leaving so much. Unlike some of the other campers he was a good employee and never ditched Kun unless his work was all finished. But, he couldn't help but be a little bit jealous. It had been a long time since he'd had any feelings for Sicheng, and he knew those wouldn't come back any time soon. But it absolutely to be single here at this camp where everyone seemed to be dating someone, someone they had known and loved for years on end Even Renjun had someone, and even though she didn't work at Camp Purple they were just a short drive away from each other. Luckily Renjun didn't blab on and on about her but Kun always overheard their romantic phone calls and promises to visit each other since they were so close by. Kun didn't have anyone close by. In fact, he didn't have anyone at all. 

"Hey Kun!" Jaehyun said excitedly. Kun looked up to see Jaehyun and Doyoung walking down from their attic office into the kitchen. 

"Where's Renjun?" Doyoung asked. 

"Calling his girlfriend." 

"Well tell him to get back here; this is actually pretty important," Doyoung spoke firmly. 

"Renjun!" Kun screamed. 

"What?" Renjun screamed back. 

"Get back here!"

"Why...." Renjun whined. "Fine!" he said, stomping back into the kitchen, about to chew Kun out when he saw Doyoung and Jaehyun standing there. "Oh hey," he spoke with a chuckle, cooling himself down. 

"Now that you both are here, we want to introduce you to someone," Jaehyun said, and there was a knock on the door of the kitchen. Doyoung ran to go let him in, and a gruff looking older man walked in. 

"Hey kids," he spoke. 

"This is Dehun," Doyoung explained. "He provides the raw goods for us to cook with. He'll be stopping by every few days to bring stuff over, in the mornings before breakfast, right?" He turned to Dehun. 

"That's right. I'll be here in the mornings sometimes. Doyoung and Jaehyun gave me the key so I'll just let myself in, so don't be scared if you see me here. Ah, yeah, I forgot to mention. My son will be helping me out so don't be surprised if you see him in here too. Are you kids in college?" They all nodded. "Yeah he's right around your age. Home for the summer, helping out his old man. He should be around here somewhere... Xiaojun!" he shouted. 

"Yeah dad?" the guy apparently named Xiaojun shouted back. 

"Come on in and introduce yourself, we're back here!" 

The sound of footsteps came closer and closer until a short boy, the same age as the counselors, threw open the doors. He set down a box of tomatoes with a huff and stuck his hands in his pockets, looking around. 

"I'm Xiaojun, I'll be helping out here too." 

Kun zeroed in on his face. All he could focus on were those eyebrows. They were the thickest, most angled, most striking eyebrows Kun thought he had ever seen in his life. He just squinted and stared at them until Renjun smacked his arm. Kun shook his head and straightened up. 

"Oh, yeah, nice to meet you," he answered hurriedly. 

"And you?" Xiaojun asked with a sly smile. 

"What?" 

"You. What's your name?" Xiaojun asked, staring pointedly at Kun. 

Clearly Xiaojun was only asking Kun but Doyoung started anyways. "Well I'm Doyoung, and this is Jaehyun. We're the camp directors this summer." 

"And I'm Renjun, I'm one of the cooks. And this is the other cook," Renjun gestured to his coworker. "Kun." 

"Nice to meet you boys," Dehun answered. Xiaojun just raised his eyebrows at Kun and he blinked repeatedly, as if blinded by them. 

"Well, we've got some camp director stuff to do. We'll leave you all to it," Doyoung said. 

"Bye guys, thanks so much!" Jaehyun added. The couple waved and walked back up to their office. 

Once they were gone, Dehun spoke again. "We've got some stuff to deliver, do you mind if we bring it now? We can work around you." 

Renjun turned to Kun; usually he was the diplomatic speaker among the two of them. But clearly Kun was a bit frozen, so Renjun held back a chuckle. "That's no problem for us. We're almost done anyways." 

"Good," Dehun answered. "Come on son, let's go back to the truck." 

"Alright," Xiaojun said quietly and the started to walk out. But once he was almost out of the door, he looked back and as unsubtely as possible, let his eyes rake up and down Kun. And as quickly as that began it was over, and he left. 

"Kun, eyebrow boy was just checking you out!" Renjun whispered.

Kun chuckled to himself. "No way..." 

"Yes way! And you clearly think he's cute by the way you were staring. God, you were practically drooling." 

"I was not! I was just...astounded by those eyebrows." 

Just then the sound of footsteps got closer so Kun and Renjun fell silent, and moments later, Dehun and Xiaojun walked back in carrying heavy boxes. They began to stack them, heaving to themselves, and immediately headed back to the truck. But not before Xiaojun spun around, giving Kun another up and down look before following his dad. 

"KUN!" Renjun whisper yelled. "He did it again, he clearly likes you." 

Kun sighed dramatically. 

"Get his number." 

"No," Kun responded immediately. 

"Come on..." 

"No." 

"What's your problem? Aren't you the one who is so pathetically single?" 

"I am not pathetic!" Kun cried. 

"At least talk to him..." 

"No." 

"Oh my god, Kun, you're ridiculous. Eyebrow boy clearly wants to talk to you." 

Kun paused for a moment before huffing. "Okay, fine! But you're so annoying." 

Just then Dehun and Xiaojun came back, panting before putting down more heavy looking boxes. They paused for a moment to catch their breaths before standing up straight. 

"That's the last of it," Dehun spoke. "I'll go start up the truck while you organize this a little." 

"Alright dad," Xiaojun answered, getting to work right away. 

"See you in a few days, kids," Dehun said. 

"See ya," Renjun answered and Dehun left. 

As soon as Xiaojun's dad was gone Renjun would not stop giving Kun a look, poking his side whenever he was sure Xiaojun wouldn't notice. 

Kun dug his nails into Renjun's arm for a moment before turning to Xiaojun. "U-um... i-it was really nice meeting you!" Kun almost smacked himself; his voice was so high pitched he almost sounded like a girl. 

Xiaojun turned around and grinned; clearly he was done. "Nice meeting you both too," he said before turning to look Kun right in the eyes. "I'll see you around." He raised his eyebrows one last time, Kun practically jumping back, before heading out of the kitchen. 

Kun stared at the door in silence for a few moments while Renjun laughed his of beside him. 

"Those eyebrows..." Kun mumbled to himself and Renjun only cracked up harder. Once he regained his composure, he turned to Kun. 

"Kun?" 

Kun shook his head. "O-oh, yeah?" 

"He ing likes you."