-31-

Book Club Chronicles

Irene spent New Year's day with her parents and returned home the following evening. 

"Are you coming home?" she asked Joy before leaving.

"I told Chaeyoung I'd drink with her tonight," she replied. "But yeah, I'll be there in a couple days. I wanna spend more time with mom and dad."

"Ok then. See you soon." Irene thought that was weird. Joy didn't usually want to spend time with their parents because they nagged her all the time for being so wild at heart. But Irene also noticed that her sister was acting a little weird ever since she met with Hyunwoo. Something must have happened between them, and it didn't seem like it was good. Usually, Joy would be packing and running off with her boyfriend again. This time, it seemed she wasn't going to go back with him.

Could it be true? She recalled Joy telling Chaeyoung about Wendy so animatedly.

Could Joy be interested in pursuing Wendy?

As she drove home, she tried not to feel jealous that Joy and Wendy were of a similar age range. The little hamster keychain now dangled on her rearview mirror, fluffy cheeks and all, as if to remind her - WENDYWENDYWENDYWENDYWENDYWENDYWENDY...

It was way too cute to get rid of, but it also kept making Wendy reappear in her mind like some sort of summoner dream. 

 

Joy plopped down in the seat next to Chaeyoung when she got to the bar in their hometown. It had been so long since she came here since she was always on the move. 

Chaeyoung, though porbably not as wise as Irene, was Joy's confidante in terms of relationships. Chaeyoung had better relationship advice than Irene, whose previous experience (with Suho) always prompted a less than satisfactory response. One time Joy asked her, and Irene told her to leave Hyunwoo since they were fighting so much. "Don't waste your time on him," Irene had said then.

But Irene didn't understand. Joy and Hyunwoo were crazy in love despite their shortcomings.

"How's it going with you and Hyunwoo?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I broke up with him," Joy replied. 

"oh wow...after all this time. You and him were inseparable even whne you took breaks," her cousin said with surprise. "That must have been a big step."

"The thing is, I didn't feel bad," Joy admitted. "I love him...but not the same way. Our last fight was just...I dunno."

"Was he hurt?"

"No actually. He was very accepting about it, and he already accepted the offer in Japan so...it worked out."

Chaeyoung sipped her drink. "Sounds like you two grew out of each other. You've been together since you were like kids so, it makes sense. Both of you have  found different paths in life and that's ok." She placed a hand on her shoulder. "It'll give you a chance to meet more people, Joy."

--

When Irene returned home, there was a package sitting outside her porch and she had a lot of mail cluttering her box. She balanced them in her arms as she unlocked the door and she placed them down to check them over - bills and some Christmas cards from her friends, and the package was from Sehun.

She checked over her bills first to check the due dates. Then, she opened up her Christmas cards which all had warm wishes and gift cards for the coffee shop and the bookstore.

Finally, she sliced open the box with a scissor and a bottle of fine wine sat smack dab in the a bed of styrofoam and bubble wrap. 

Sehun had a thing for sending expensive wines as presents. Irene wasn't much of a drinker, but she was still grateful that he was thinking of her enough to send something considered a luxury. Well, he was an engineer that made lots of money for his projects.

She sighed heavily. Time to make thank you cards for all the gifts...

--

"I miss you so much my Seulgibabybear!" Mr. and Mrs. Kang crushed their daughter into an ultra great bear hug. "Take care of yourself! AND YOU!" They snagged Wendy into the hug. "EAT MORE AND STAY HEALTHY!"

They didn't live too far away so it wasn't like distance would be difficult. It was still kind of sad to see them leave since having guests over made their home more lively.

However, Wendy still had Seulgi for company adn that was enough 'liveliness' for Wendy to have to handle. 

--

"Unnie, I broke up with Hyunwoo."

Irene was in the middle of cooking dinner when Joy's voice permeated her thoughts so it was very unexpected since Joy never mentioned to her about how the conversaiton went.

"O-oh?"

"I broke up with him."

"Oh...are you alright?" Irene turned to her with concern.

"Yeah, I am," Joy replied but seemed confused. "I didn't feel bad at all. And he took it well actually."

"Then, I suppose that's good," Irene said after taking a moment to think about it. She didn't consider herself a suitable person to be talking about relationships since Suho happened. For her, stay away from love and romance was her go too - that is, until Wendy happened.

Ironic, isn't it?

"It's a normal part of life," Irene told her. "It would do you more harm if you stayed together and not be on the same page."

Joy nodded and tentatively rose the next question. "What do you think...about dating girls?"

If Joy had asked her parents that question, they would be off teh walls like ping pong balls. "I don't think anything," Irene replied calmly. 

Because she really wasn't thinking anything, and the reminder of how society functions made Irene feel guilty about her little thoughts of Wendy.

"Oh ok."

irene focused a little too much on stirring up the food wondering if Joy was planning to pursue Wendy.

A surge of jealousy and annoyance filled her.

It's easy for Joy because she doesn't care and doesn't have as much expectations from our parents...

I have to be perfect...

 

Irene realized tht she had gone in too deep with her interest in Wendy. 

The curiosity was now a crush, and Irene was falling into the trap she wanted to avoid. 

 

Today, the world was hit with a huge snowstrom that threatended power outage and locking everyone up at home for a while. Wendy was doing some at home work outs, cycling push ups, sit ups, crunches, leg ups, and the like.

When she took a break, she checked her phone just to see if there was anything interesting to look at, and saw an email from Irene.

Irene was asking her to meet again because she wanted to speak with her again!

Wendy wondered what it could be this time. Surely not Suho again? Or maybe Irene wanted to talk about book club? But it soudned more personal so it coudln't be book club. She sent a quick answer agreeing to meet her as soon as the storm let up some.

She just hoped that the next time she went, she woudn't get locked up in Irene's home again due to a storm. 

--

Wendy wasn't sure if she was supposed to be bringing another gift to Irene as thanks for her hospitality last time. Maybe clearing out the snow from the driveway was enough, but she felt kind of bad to keep returning to Irene's house and possibly drinking up her supply of coffee because every time she went to irene's house, they had coffee together. 

At first Wendy wondered why they couldn't meet in a public place, but then realized that there could be a danger of someone seeing them together. And if whatever they were talking about was sensitive it was better not to be in a place where more ears could hear them. 

So Wendy managed to find the exact brand of coffee grounds that she saw in Irene's kitchen and Seulgi - hysterical as usual for wenrene to happen - booted her out of the car and ripped away into the distance. Even the car was excited.

Wendy heaved in a sigh and walked up to the porch to ring the doorbell.

She shivered with cold and anticipation, hoping not to embarass herself this time. 

Finally, teh door opened revealing Irene in all her glory.

After all this time, Wendy was still awestruck with Irene - not just how beautiful she was, but also the aura that came off her.

It was like a blinding light and she was melting.

"Wendy? Did you want to talk out here?" Irene seemed concerned wehn the latter spaced out for a good three minutes.

"O-oh...no, sorry. I just thought I forgot something," Wendy stumbled for an excuse on the fly.

"Ok. It's warmer in here." Irene stepped aside to let her in.

"I got you some coffee," Wendy told her once they were safely inside. "To make up for all the cups I've been drinking."

"Wendy, it was only twice," Irene replied. "Please don't feel like you have to keep buying me things every tiem you come here."

The younger girl wasn't sure how to respond to that, but she honestly did feel bad using Irene's resources. 

"I don't mind having you over," the older woman added. 

oh... Wendy's heart probably pounded at least a thousand times before it calmed down.

"But thank you for the coffee. I will enjoy it very much."

They went to the kitchen, where Irene opened the fresh bag of coffee and scoooped out some grounds to make a new pot to drink. Irene savored the smell of the new bag, and Wendy felt happy that she got something the latter appeared to like.

"How was your New Year's?" Irene asked while the coffee gurgled and boiled.

"Cold but restful," Wendy replied. "Yours?"

"It was good. I don't see my parents and extended family often so it's nice to go back home every now and then," Irene replied. 

"That's good. Seulgi's parents came over and cooked enough to last a lifetime."

Irene went to the fridge for the creamer. "What about your parents?" she asked genuinely interested.

"Ah...they don't come here in the winter. It's not worth the time to travel across the ocean just for a day," Wendy admitted. "And they're busy with their work too so they don't get breaks that much."

"I see." Irene decided not to press further on the topic since it was a personal matter. The latter ddn't seem comfortable talking about it either so she wanted to respect her privacy.

Once the coffee was ready to drink, they went to sit together at the table. 

 

Irene realized that her email probably soudned more serious than it shoudl have been. The real reason for the meeting was to give Wendy a late Christmas present - the fricking hamster and a gift card for the bookstore to balance out the cost. Irene figured that Wendy woudl appreciate something to help pay for books if she happened to need or find one at the bookstore.

She supposed now would be a good time to inquire on Wendy's health and maybe get to know her a little more. 

"How have you been since...the incident with Suho?" Irene asked a little quietly.

"I'm alright." Wendy felt a bit concerned that Irene was inquiring after a sensitive topic. "How...how about you?"

"It's...not easy, but I'm ok. He's gone so, it's fine now." Irene took a long drag on her coffee, enjoying how the hot beverage stung her a little bit, but didn't burn her tongue. 

"Did you want to talk about it?" Wendy asked tentatively.

The latter shook her head. "I'd rather forget about him."

"..."

"Ah, sorry. I don't want to recall bad memories," Irene told her apologetically. "Are you taking winter classes?"

Wendy was also glad for teh change of subject. "Nope. None of the major classes I need to take now are offered in the winter and summer sessions so I get a break. Are you teaching?"

"No, fortunately. It gets overwhelming so I'm glad for the break."

It was quiet again because Wendy couldn't think of anything to say to Irene, and Irene was trying to come up with things to say to her that weren't just school related. 

"How many years have you been at the school?" Irene asked becuase she just now realized she had either forgotten or didnt' ask in the first place.

"Three years. I graduate next year."

"I see." Irene felt a little relieved. They wouldn't have to wait long if they hypothetically were to continue meeting in not-book-club manner. "My sister is also graduating next year."

"Ah, how is Joy?" Wendy asked.

"She's good. She's been good company for me actually," Irene chuckled. "I'm glad she's getting along with you." She was hoping to find out something about the relationship between Wendy and Joy. Perhaps she could see if Wendy was interested in Joy as well? Irene had a faint inkling that Joy might want to date her which was why she wanted to see what IRene thought about same- relationships.

"Oh, yeah, she's cool," Wendy replied. 

That was very vague.

"Um,,,it's a bit late, but I got you a Christmas present. Well, maybe a New Year present." Irene took out a bag stuffed with tissue paper. "This is for you."

"Thank you." Wendy took it in her hand and took a peek. "Oh that's a cute keychain."

Irene smiled and noticed how Wendy's eyes shone when she inspected the little hamster keychain. 

 

"Thank you for the gift and the coffee," Wendy told her as she exited the house. 

"You're welcome. Thanks for bringing the coffee," Irene replied. "I'll see you soon."

"See you."

--

"Sooo, how'd it go?" Seulgi asked when they got home. 

Wendy was making fried chicken and a special sauce for Seulgi. "Awkard as usual, but she liked the coffee."

"What'd you talk about?"

"Uh...just small talk, I guess. She asked about when I will graduate."

"Oooh, maybe she's waiting for you."

"What the hell? I think we were just trying to find things to talk about." Wendy gave her a wierd look.

"Oh ye of little faith." Seulgi shook her head in exasperation. "Irene was trying to talk with you for once, other than that one time before."

Wendy stopped and thought about it. She didn't want to believe Seulgi because her crazy friend was usually coming up with koooky ideas, but maybe she was right. Irene did make an effort to ask about things other than school.

"AND she got you a present. That means she's thikning of youuuu~" Seulgi sang and began to break into karaoke mode. 

 

Maybe things were looking up.