-26-

Book Club Chronicles

Wendy could only think of one...or maybe two thinks to get for Irene that weren't entirely boring. A gift card from the local bookstore or a gift card for the coffee shop.

Sure, she could have settled with fancy stationary from the book store - there was some cute stuff- or even a moleskin book for whatever it is that Irene does. But that seemed too generic.

Besides, they weren't exactly friendly such as Wendy's relationship to Seulgi so she needed it to be decent gesture.

At last Irene could decide for herself what she wanted with a gift card.

Wendy also picked out a Christmas card and envelope to put the gift card with. Better make it a complete gift. 

 

When she checked out at the cashier, she happened to see Sehun at aother checkout. She didn't recognize him at first since she hadn't seem him for a while, but by the time it registered in her mind, Sehun had already caught her eye.

"Hey," he fell into stride beside her as they exited.  He was also carrying some Christmas cards and trinkets for gifts.

"Hey," she said.

"How's it going?" he asked.

"I'm alright. It's cold outside," Wendy replied. "Yourself?"

"I'm good too. Just finished a big project at my company. I'm looking forward to a week of loonng rest. By the way have you heard from Irene?"

"Just about book club,' Wendy replied, not wanting to tell him about the whole thing with Suho. She wasn't sure if Irene told him, but she decided to keep that from him since it didn't seem that way.

They parted ways and Wendy pulled her hood over her head as she left the place.

 

Christmas is coming.

--

Irene woke up early in the morning to get ready for the day.

Today was important. She would be meeting Wendy again.

She yawned and forced herself out of bed. She had kept the heater on but it was still frickin cold in here. one look out the window confirmed that it had snowed all night. A snow plow was clearing up the streets, and Irene heaved a heavy sigh. she would have to remove the snow blocking her porch and driveway. (Irene kept her car in the garage to keep it safe from the freezing weather.)

Joy was still asleep when Irene went outside to clear up the pathways. She pulled out a shovel from the garage and got to work.

Irene was already tired before she even made it halfway. The layer of snow was a about a few inches deep so that Irene's boots sank in every step.

By the time she was finished, she felt like she'd done a full workout and her back was sore.

Whne she was satisfied with her work, she put the shovel back in the garage and went in to make a nice hot breakfast to warm up.

 

"You're up early," Joy commented whiel walking into the ktichen. "What're you making?"

"Oatmeal and coffee," Irene replied while sprinkling a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon over her bowl of oatmeal. "Want some?" she pointed to the pot.

"Sure, thanks!" Joy replied and helped herself.

"I'm meeting with Wendy today," Irene brought up casually while they ate breakfast together. 

Joy's eyebrows rose in surprise. "Oh ok. I was going to meet Hyunwoo today too."

"Oh?" It was Irene's turn to be surprised.

"Yeah."

"OK...well, good luck."

 

Wendy checked over the email from Irene detailing thier meeting. She felt nervous because she would be alone with Irene again, in Irene's house.

Seulgi, like the usually crazy person she is, was so excited to hear this. Her friend was certain that this was a premonition of things to come. Wendy could already tel what was going on in her friend's mind and she warned her not to get too excited since they were probably going to discuss more serious things.

"I didn't say anything!" Seulgi replied.

Wendy shook her head in exasperation, but thanked her friend for the ride to Irene's house. 

"Have a romantic time!" Seulgi cried sing song and drove off into the icy streets.

Wendy took in a deep breath but insitantly regreted that when she felt the winter air sting her nose. Irene's once thriving flower garden was now barren sticks in the ground, the grass frozen and sparse. It looked like the pathway leading to the steps had been cleared recently. 

She walked up to the porch and rang the door bell.

After a few seconds, the door opened, and she was face to face with Irene again.

By this time both of their faces were mostly healed up by now. 

Irene greeted her with a smile and ushered her in quickly. "The snow is getting heavier," Irene commented as they walked in. "How are you?"

"I'm alright. And you? How are you feeling?" 

"Better, thanks. Cofee?"

"Yes please." Wendy followed Irene into the kitchen. 

It was just the two of them again, and Wendy wondered if Irene made Joy leave so they could have a private moment to themselves.  She watched Irene pick out the coffee powder from the cabinet and scoop out a few tablespoons into the coffee machine. Then, she poured some water and pressed the button to brew up some of the good stuff.

"You have any plans for Christmas?" Wendy asked tentatively when the lull made her feel a little too uneasy.

"I'm driving out to see my family," Irene replied casually. "You?"

"Seulgi's parents are coming over," Wendy told her.

By now the coffee had brewed and Irene poured exactly two mugfuls for the both of them before adding creamer into each.

Wendy followed the older woman into the other room and they both sat at the table each with a steaming cup of coffee before them. She blew carefully over the surface of the hot drink before taking some small sips so she wouldn't burn her tongue.

On the other hand, Irene hadn't taken a drink yet.

"Suho is in prison," Irene finaly said.

Wendy was just in the middle of downing another sip and the break in silence caught her off guard. "O-oh, that's good."

"Wendy, I wanted to apologize..." Irene started. "I should have reached out to you first."

The latter had to wait to pick her words carefully on a sensitive topic. "Nothing is your fault, Irene. You were traumatized."

"And you were too. For something that didn't even involve you." 

Wendy stared down at her half empty coffee cup and inhaled deeply. "I don't regret it."

Irene's eyes widened and the younger girl finally faced her. "What happened was not your doing. Suho came to you with intent to hurt you. I could see it in his eyes. The only one to blame for this is Suho and he's getting what he deserves."

"..."

"We can keep being sorry, but...I dont' think we're obligated to apologize for something that was out of our control...?" Wendy hoped what she was saying made sense. She wasn't even sure if it was the right thing. 

Irene didn't respond and instead took a long drink of her coffee. "Suho did this because of me. He wanted revenge on me because I..." Irene wanted to express the things that caused this whole problem, ranging back from the beginning of her relationship with him. 

No...not now. 

Irene paused to save herself from an awkward transition that was already awkward enough. "We have a history," was all she could say without going into full detail.

Wendy did not press, and she already had an idea (unknown to Irene since she didn't know that Joy told Wendy that Suho was her ex) thanks to Joy.

"I'm sorry. You're right, but it's hard not to blame myself...if things could have gone differently."

Wendy didn't know what to say at this point. She didn't really know how to reassure Irene that this wasn't her fault, and that she had no reason to apologize for the bastard's actions. Joy had said Suho was an abusive boyfriend so Wendy could only imagine the kinds of things he did to Irene based on their initial and final meet.

He was manipulative with words.

Based on their relationship, it seemed the Suho could easily get into Irene's head even if they were no longer together.

Wendy had no experience with relationships and she sort of wished Joy were here since she might have a better shot at consoling Irene.

The older woman was convinced that this was her fault even if she denied it in words.

"Suho decided for himself. If you were still with him, he would have done the same thing to you again. It's not you. It's him," Wendy said, but suddenly realized what she said gave away that she knew. Frick! She didn't want Joy to get in trouble. 

But Irene didn't seem to notice, or maybe she didn't care that Wendy knew. "I know..." she murmured as she looked away.

Wendy gulped nervously. In a drama, this couldhave been the perfect to take Irene's hand and squeeze it tight, the camera zooming in on that and their faces.  Ugh, must be Seulgi influencing her. But of course, she did not do that for respect and stuff.  "I really meant it when I said I don't regret what I did."

Irene looked like her eyes might be tearing up because they looked extra shiny under the light, but she still managed to smile. "T-thanks, Wendy." 

 

--

stay safe and wash your hands. wear a mask.