Ch. 17 - The New Kyle?

Kindred Person
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The New Kyle?"

 ‘Well this is it…’Kyle thought as they arrive at the meet up, a few blocks away. The driver was instructed to hide the car nearby, where they would set up a perimeter. It was still a good 3 hours before meeting Greg.

Irene fell asleep by that time, and has a blanket over her. Kyle on the other hand decided to stay up, just to contemplate on his own ‘plan’.

‘It’s obvious that Greg is willing to do what it takes for his goal…reminds me of myself actually. How adamant I was to pursuing a life with my dad. To get away from that memory…’ The death of his mom strained his view on things. Not having parental guidance, and being abused will always take its toll on a person.

‘What separates me from him…?’ He took out a small device... Surprisingly his father was the one he gave him this. More or less, he wanted his son to defend himself, but Kyle always hid it, since it reminded him of the cruelty of his father.

He observed the design for a few minutes, especially the name. The name of his mother, engraved when it was given to him. Looking at this always gave him mix feelings. ‘Does dad regret what he did…? Is it to make amends…?’ As he was thinking Irene yawns. Kyle quickly hides the device, and turns to the girl.

“Hey…” Kyle greets the girls, as she takes a look at the surroundings.

“…We’re aren’t we?” Kyle nods at here.

“Yes…The police wanted to set up a perimeter. Looks like they also want to catch Greg and his gang. We’re still a few hours before meeting up with him.” She listens and nods. They sit, until Irene begins talking.

“Kyle, can I ask something?” He looks at her, then nods.

“Sure, what’s up?”

“I talked with the police, and they told me they found you in your room…Why weren’t you and Wendy together?” That question made him look down. Irene waited for a response.

Still nothing she asks. “Did you two fight?” This time he looks away. She grabs his shoulder, making him face her…she sees tears. His breathing became heavier…he opens his mouth. Trying to compose himself.

“I- We did fight…I blame myself. I had these thoughts…Thinking I was to blame for why…he is after you guys…” Irene listens, observing him.

“Why would you ever think that? If you didn’t step in…I don’t even want to think what Greg would do…” Kyle turns to her, seeing her lower her head….’It’s almost like Wendy…’

He takes a moment, before speaking again. “I know it sounds selfish…but I only thought that because I know I can’t protect you guys…I couldn’t…I couldn’t even protect my mom…”

Irene grabs his hand, he is taken aback, but he stares at her. “Even if you think that…at least you tried…I know it’s no consolation, but trying to help is better than not helping at all. Doing what you can is better than sitting idle by as you see someone you love get hurt.”

“But…”

“No buts, this was one thing that made me want to help you both…you know Wendy has been through a lot. That multiple amount of hate she had gotten, we had gotten when we debut. We just kept trying, and trying. That’s my point…Trying is better than not doing something.” Kyle only stared at her…this was only the few moments the actually talked like this…

“I-I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for thinking that way…” Irene nods, but speaks again.

“It’s not me should apologize to…it’s the girl that made you try and change Kyle…Remember, you changed because of her…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter