Page 9, Excuse

Enchanted - a story of us -
Yonghwa, Jung
 
I knock the door thrice before I open it slightly, taking a peek of who's inside, just to make sure that I don't disturb whatever is going inside.
 
"Ah, Yonghwa," Mrs Song greets me warmly while Iseul just puts down a glass of water on the small table right next to the bed. "It's been a while since the last time you visited. Are you doing well?"
 
I smile politely and approach Iseul, handing over the fruits basket that I bought for her mother, "I'm just being a little bit busy lately. Now that I have free time, I think I need to pay a proper visit to you."
 
"Such a good kid," Mrs Song chuckles and reaches out her hand to touch Iseul's hand. "I will be forever grateful if I have a son-in-law like Yonghwa."
 
"Omma," Iseul embraces her mother's hand and shakes her head. "It's time to take your medicine. I will grab something to eat later with Yonghwa before I return to my apartment."
 
While Iseul is helping her mother to take the medicine, my eyes are locked on her. Surely she doesn't have any idea that her mother's little joke makes my heart to flutter.
 
"There is a new restaurant nearby," Iseul closes the door and then tucks her hands inside her pockets. "Want to try?"
 
"Sure," I answer as we walk out from the hospital together. "Is it alright if you don't go to work again today?"
 
"It's not like I have another choice," Iseul forces a smile, looking at the ground. "It's a good thing that you've returned though."
 
Iseul told me about Jang Dongho's presence at the restaurant where she worked three days ago. Unfortunately I was staying at Jeju Island that day so I couldn't meet up with her to settle the problem.
 
My company suggested Iseul to stop coming for work until I returned. That's why the first place I visited once I arrived at Seoul is the hospital, knowing that she was always with her mother when she didn't have work to do.
 
"I'd like to have a seafood spaghetti and a glass of hot chocolate," Iseul tells the waiter her orders after I'm done with mine. "I guess that's all. Thank you."
 
Meanwhile I open the web browser from my phone, reading through some random articles about celebrities until I stop when I see a short article without any picture.
 
"INFINITE'S L secretly met up with a mysterious girl?
 
Rumors of INFINITE's L secret meeting with a girl have been spreading among netizens like wildfire.
 
A netizen posted on a forum two days ago that she saw L was talking with a girl alone. He even gave his knit hat to the girl, a gesture which led they might be more than just friends.
 
Unfortunately there's no proof except the statement from the netizen herself. She said that she couldn't see who the girl was but she's really sure that it's really L.
 
The news didn't catch the wider public attention until L tweeted yesterday via his Twitter account, "First snow. With you."
 
Up till this moment there is no official statement confirming or denying about the issue yet because there is no evidence as well."
 
"Yonghwa Oppa?" Iseul calls my name. She tilts her head cutely and blinks, "Is something wrong?"
 
"Ah, no. It's just... There is a rumor about an idol dating someone," I close the browser and put my phone on the table. I know she has no idea about the rumor since she doesn't pay any attention about idols.
 
"Your life is tough," Iseul nods randomly and then props her chin on her palm. "About Jang Dongho... I wonder what his intention with those girls..."
 
I look at her for seconds before heaving a sigh, "I'm sorry for causing a trouble, Iseul. You should be working right now, right?"
 
"Don't worry about me," she assures me. "It's a part of the contract, isn't it?"
 
My heart twists when she mentions about the contract. I almost forgot for a second that what we're doing right now is nothing more than just fulfilling the contract.
 
It's nothing but another work for Iseul.
 
 
Iseul, Song
 
Yonghwa doesn't say anything until our orders arrive. Since I think that he is tired after his busy schedule, I let him be and look around the restaurant, looking for nothing special.
 
My eyes find the familiar person, sitting behind the table at the corner of the restaurant which is only metres away from me and Yonghwa.
 
"Dongho?" I murmurs his name as I focus my sight. He is hiding half of his face with the magazine in his hands but I immediately recognize him with his glasses.
 
"Eh?" Yonghwa blinks with confusion. He looks at my eyes' direction but I quickly hold his hand to grab his attention.
 
"Jang Dongho is here," I lower my voice, making sure that Dongho can't hear me. "I think he is following us."
 
I didn't think Dongho would do this far, stalking me and Yonghwa for news. However Yonghwa's calm reaction tells me that it's not something extra ordinary in his world.
 
Yonghwa takes a deep breath and then returns the embrace of my hand with a warm smile, "It's alright. We're on a date, aren't we?"
 
I nod and pull my hand back before I take the utensils and start to eat my spaghetti calmly. If what Dongho wants is spreading news about us, I just need to make sure that he will not get any.
 
Yonghwa talks about his activities lately so none will see the awkwardness between us. I try my best to act as his shy girlfriend until both of us finish our food.
 
After Yonghwa paid for the bill, he takes my hand with his and then leans closer to whisper, "He is looking at us. Come on. Let's return to your apartment."
 
Seconds after we walk out from the restaurant, I hear the footsteps following us. I stop and turn around even though I know Yonghwa doesn't suggest this reaction towards Dongho.
 
Just like my prediction, Jang Dongho is following us. He stops with wide eyes, completely surprised because I just caught him in action.
 
"What a surprise," Dongho smirks slyly. "Am I looking at the real couple right now? Or is it just another attempt to hide something from the public?"
 
His words surprise me but he is not done yet, "What is the contract you're talking about once again, Iseul?"
 
Yonghwa doesn't let me answer the trap. He pulls me closer to him and glares at Dongho, "I will really appreciate it if you let me have my private time with my girlfriend. Thank you."
 
We walk away from Dongho, heading back to my apartment. I don't say anything since I'm still blaming myself mentally because mentioning about the contract at public place.
 
"Is he still...," I murmur when we almost reach my apartment building. We slower our pace as Yonghwa pretends to turn around and face me. I know it's his way to check whether Dongho is still following us or not.
 
"Yes, he is," he tighten his hold on my hand and I can feel that he is freezing because it's really cold. "I need to go back to meet my manager. Is it alright if we part here?"
 
I give him a slight nod and he smiles to me warmly, "Can I... It's just to convince him that our relationship is real."
 
Yonghwa cups one of my cheeks and leans closer to me. He presses his lips on my forehead, letting me to feel the warmth with the kiss.
 
"Good night," he whispers, clearing his throat nervously. "I'll see you tomorrow."
 
He lets go of my hand and then walks away, leaving me freeze on my stand.
 
For the first time since I met Yonghwa, I blush because of him.
 
 
Yonghwa, Jung
 
I close my eyes and heaves a long sigh, leaning my back to the chair while my manager is driving the car, telling me about my schedule tomorrow.
 
My mind is currently not working properly. My soul is wandering somewhere else at the moment.
 
When Iseul asked me whether Jang Dongho was still following us or not, I lied to her. I don't know why but it's just an excuse for me to give her a kiss on her forehead.
 
Dongho was not following us anymore but I wanted to tell her that it's alright because I would be there with her because she looked down after Dongho mentioned about the contract.
 
I know she's probably feeling guilty and I didn't want her to be sad...
 
...but then again maybe it's just an excuse for me to be close with her.
 
"Jung Yonghwa," I murmur to myself, don't care about whether my manager can hear me or not, "what have you done?"