Page 22, Words I Want to Hear

Enchanted - a story of us -
Iseul, Song
 
The most unwanted guest I want to see the least has appeared in front of me. I have no idea how he could find us here and I have a bad feeling already just by looking at him.
 
Yonghwa takes my hand and my heart starts to beat uncontrollably, unlike what always happened when we're holding hands. My hearts is malfunctioning, I guess.
 
"Oh, come on, I know you're not a real couple," Dongho calmly states when we walk pass him. My heart sinks at his words and I don't like where this conversation is heading to.
 
"Surprise? Oh, be surprised! A new, surprising headline for the new year. Don't you two like it?" Dongho chuckles at our reaction as we look at him with wide eyes.
 
I clench my other hand, forming a fist to surpress my uneasy feeling. I keep my head cold so I can think properly.
 
Perhaps this is just his plan. Perhaps he actually knows nothing and he's trying to lure us to get the information he wants.
 
"I'm sorry if I'm rude but you can't accuse someone just based on your need to create headline," I speak. "Now if you excuse us."
 
"You can't keep the lie behind the veil forever, young lady. Sooner or later someone will open the veil and reveal it to the world anyway," Dongho takes steps closer to me. "I just happened to be the first to know."
 
"I have my connection, Yonghwa," he lands his gaze on Yonghwa. "You two have acted really well for months so why don't you two just stop? Your fans will be really furious if they know she is not your real girlfriend."
 
Yonghwa scoffs and continues to walk, not even bothering to reply Dongho for a word. I follow him until we walk out from the hospital, heading to somewhere else.
 
My heart twists and I feel that something is wrong. If Dongho is serious, then somebody should have told him the truth...
 
...but who?
 
 
Myungsoo, Kim
 
Yonghwa walks pass my hiding place with Iseul, leaving Dongho who laughs with excitement, "This is so much fun."
 
I clench my fists, surpressing my anger because I assume that this guy named Jang Dongho is doing this for fun.
 
Who is he and why does he want to disturb Iseul's life? More over, what was he saying about they are fake couple?
 
Dongho leaves the hospital without realizing my presence. I follow him secretly, hiding my face with my disguise equipment.
 
He stops by a small bookstore and he greets a man who wears black hat and brown coat, "A bookstore? It doesn't suit your style."
 
"That's why I chose this place to meet. No one will think that I'll be here," the man answers as I pretend to grab a magazine and read it in silence. I give my back to them but my ears are listening. "Did you find her?"
 
"Yes, just like what you said," Dongho replies. "They still keep their lies but I'm going to reveal it soon."
 
"Then... the payment," the other man demands. His voice is hoarse and I don't think I know who he is. "We have a deal."
 
"Yes, we have and I agree to pay you after I reveal everything to the public," Dongho retorts. "I still need proof to pin them down."
 
I hear the other man curses under his breath before he groans, "I need to leave now or they will find me. I'll call you after I get the proof."
 
A minute later, Dongho leaves the bookstore and I heave a sigh. I put back the magazine and look at the door, "Who is this guy?"
 
Without wasting another second, I step out from the bookstore and search for the article about Yonghwa and Iseul via my phone.
 
Yonghwa is telling me the truth. I find the article about Yonghwa confirmed that he's in a relationship. I also fin an article with their picture together in front of a Christmas tree.
 
Despite the heartache, I shove away the feeling and head back to my apartment. I know half of my group is having schedule today but Sunggyu is staying.
 
"Hyung," I take a seat next to him. He turns his attention from the television and blinks. "Do you know who Jang Dongho is?"
 
His expression changes and he straightens his body, "Why? Don't tell me you got into a trouble with him."
 
"No," I shake my head. "It's... I heard someone talked about him and his name sounds familiar to me. Who is he?"
 
Sunggyu sighs and then turns off the television, "Remember when I told you some paparazzi can be really annoying? He is one of them, Myungsoo."
 
"He is a former reporter for famous magazine but he was fired because he tried to blackmail idols with the news he had. Now he posts articles on his website," Sunggyu explains. "Public always care about scandal and he uses this as his chance."
 
"Why?" I murmur with uneasy feeling. "We don't do anything bad to him!"
 
"He said that it's his work," Sunggyu mumbles. "Don't get trouble with him, Myungsoo. I mean it. If he's serious, he can crush us down until fame kills us."
 
Now I become really worried about Iseul.
 
 
Iseul, Song
 
Yonghwa opens the door of the music room, the place where we spent our Christmas together. I step inside and he lets go of my hand with unpredictable expression.
 
"I don't know how he found out about it," I strike open the conversation. "I swear I don't say a word to Myungsoo, in case you're suspecting him. I don't-"
 
He cuts my words by pulling me into a hug. He hugs me tight but gentle, "Stop, Iseul. I don't blame you. I really don't."
 
My heart beats really fast but, at the same time, I feel comfort. I clutch his shirt weakly and bury my face on his chest.
 
"Why...," I murmur vividly after seconds of awkward silence. "Is contract the only thing that connects us?"
 
He doesn't answer it immediately but then he gives me another question, "Do you believe it that way, Iseul?"
 
I choose to stay in silence because I don't know how to answer it. I don't know how to say it but there is fear inside of my heart if I tell him what I'm feeling right now.
 
The fact that Dongho will probably screw our lives makes me afraid already and I can't imagine myself with Yonghwa.
 
He is an idol. He is famous and I'm no one. Besides we have a deal to live for a year.
 
When did I start to fall for Yonghwa?
 
"I don't want the contract to be the only thing between us," Yonghwa holds my shoulders and rests his forehead on mine. "Am I the one who wants to change the deal into a real one?"
 
He kisses my forehead and hugs me again, "Can we be a real couple?"
 
I clutch his shirt tighter as I gasp in surprise with his sudden confession. To be honest, maybe I'm just fooling myself.
 
Those are the words I want to hear.
 
"Can we?" I whisper loud enough for him to hear. I don't know how to stop this rapid heartbeat anymore so I push him slightly to look at him and repeat the question, "Can we?"
 
"As long as you let me...," he caresses my cheek and smiles. "The question is... will you let me?"
 
My lips form into a curve. I hold his hand and mutter, "Maybe it's too fast for us but I... I just can't lie anymore."
 
"Iseul...," he murmurs my name. He takes my hand near to his lips and kiss it. "Then don't. The next time someone asks you about our relationship, you don't need to lie."
 
"You are my real girlfriend, Iseul."