Page 16, Birthday/NYE

Enchanted - a story of us -
Iseul, Song
 
"Iseul," my mother calls me, making me to return to my senses because I've been in my own world for minutes. "Don't you have to go somewhere today?"
 
I blink for numerous times before I shake my head, "No. I think it's the best for me to accompany you here."
 
"But it's your birthday...," she states with a sad expression. "Don't stay here just because of me. Go out there and have fun. You still have six hours left before your birthday ends."
 
I just smile sheepishly, telling her that it's alright. It's not like I have a specific place to go or someone to spend my birthday with.
 
Yes, today is my birthday and today is also the last day of the year. To have my birthday falls on New Year's Eve is not a really special thing for me because I don't have people to celebrate with me.
 
I don't want my mother to be alone so I have accompanied her since the morning. I made porridge for her and she told me to buy a birthday cake for myself but I kindly refused the request.
 
For me, it's good enough to have my mother as my company on my birthday.
 
Even though I must admit that there are three persons in my mind at the moment.
 
The first one is my father. I wonder where he is right now. I wonder if he still remembers that today is his daughter's birthday. I wonder if he is doing alright out there.
 
Myungsoo also crosses my mind because it's been days since his confession. I don't know if I describe it right but I still can remember his gaze vividly.
 
He is one of the closest person to me because we talk a lot and I have a faith in him for unspecific reasons. I just know that I can believe him.
 
However a confession is never listed in my mind. He is a nice and sweet friend who can give me surprises but this is indeed the biggest surprise I ever received from Myungsoo.
 
Or at least I think so.
 
The third person is Yonghwa.
 
I know he's been really busy since two days ago I guess because he needs to attend the end year special music programs. There are a lot of preparations he needs to do and there is no way I will bother him.
 
His manager sent me a letter, telling me to watch the live performances but I never went there. I didn't even watch them on television because I was working.
 
However I have a free day from working today. I was thinking about paying a visit to the show but I'm not sure whether it's a good decision or not.
 
I know the manager asked me to come because it will assure the public that I'm Yonghwa's real girlfriend. The more scenes of us together, the more public will believe that our relationship is real.
 
Somehow I can understand why this kind of contract happens. Some said idols rarely develop relationships because of many reasons.
 
Some believed their fans will be disappointed. Some thought their professionalism will be decreased. Some other said that their lover will be lonely.
 
Not that I think of myself as his real girlfriend, but I must admit that I can't help but wonder what he is doing right now, whether he is doing well or not, and when I will meet him.
 
Simply put, I guess I miss him.
 
"Are you thinking about Yonghwa? once again my mother snaps me back to reality. She giggles, "Don't give me a 'no', Iseul. I'm your mother."
 
I fake a cough and say, "I'm just thinking about what he is doing on New Year's Eve. That's all."
 
"Have he wished you a happy birthday?" she asks me the question I've been thinking since the morning. "Is he really busy lately? I miss his visit, you know."
 
"No," I answer honestly, forcing a smile. "I think he is too busy. He has a lot of work to do."
 
It's kind of making me sad to remember that he hasn't said anything for me. He surely knows my birthday because both of us have gone through our personal biodata to know each other at the starting of the contract.
 
Maybe he doesn't remember at all. It's nothing big...
 
...then why do I feel disappointed?
 
"Go meet him," my mother speaks. "If you don't want to, at least go see him for me. Send my new year wishes for him. He is a good person and I think of him like my own son."
 
I smile at her words and give up, "Alright. I'll go to meet him. I'll try to return before midnight, okay?"
 
My mother nods happily and tells me to be careful on my way to meet Yonghwa. Little does she know that I'm going to a place full of people; full of fans and full of idols.
 
Besides I'm also curious what Yonghwa will say if he see me.
 
Is he going to give me his smile like what he gave me on Christmas?
 
 
Yonghwa, Jung
 
"Good job," I pat Jungshin's shoulder as we walk down the stage. We just finished our final rehearsal for today's special program for end year performance.
 
Tonight will be the last one because it's New Year's Eve. Tomorrow a new year will start yet my busy schedule never reduces even for the slightest.
 
In fact I think I will be even busier because I will start filming a new drama soon with Moon Geunyoung and L from INFINITE. I really need to prepare myself for tough activities soon.
 
"Yonghwa Hyung, will Iseul Noona come today?" Jungshin asks me as we walk to the backstage, getting ready for the show which will be start in an hour. "She didn't come yesterday, right?"
 
"She also didn't come two days ago," Jonghyun adds, fixing his hair with his fingers. "I thought you two are getting closer after the Christmas date."
 
I try really hard not to blush. I clear my throat nervously and pretend to be busy with my guitar, "I don't know. I think she is with her mother."
 
Since I'm not the type of person who likes to mess around with text messages, I don't send her any text messages since the date we had on Christmas.
 
Sometimes I actually hope that she will send a text message to me though. Well, that never happened. The fact that our relationship is just nothing but a contract doesn't make me really happy nowadays.
 
I still haven't hand over the Christmas gift to her because I don't have the chance yet. I always bring it with me just in case I will meet her eventually. If only she comes tonight, maybe I can give it to her.
 
An hour passed quickly and all of the participants of the stage have gathered together to give our greetings for the fans before the show starts.
 
"Enjoy our performance tonight and we will do our best for all of you!" I speak up, waving to the camera, once it's our turn. "Happy New Year's Eve!"
 
We listen to each of the greetings from other artists and INFINITe grabs my attention when L holds up his microphone after Sunggyu, their leader, finished his line.
 
"I also want to send a warm greeting of 'happy birthday' to my Noona who loves strawberry milk," L smiles brightly and waves to the camera. "Don't be mad at me, Noona!"
 
Even though the next artist is speaking now, I still observe INFINITE, looking at how shocked the other members because of L's greeting to his 'Noona' because this is live and netizens even can stream this show online.
 
Strawberry milk.
 
It's funny how L mentioned his Noona's favorite drink instead of her name. Not to mention that her favorite drink is the same with mine.
 
After all artists finish with the greetings, we step down the stage and wait for our turns. CN Blue will be the next after FT Island and we have prepared a special collaboration for tonight.
 
INFINITE performs right before FT Island and, as for their special performance, L plays a guitar to accompany the members with acoustic version of their song.
 
My eyes wander to the audiences so I can see whether they enjoy the show or not. My eyes widen when I see a familiar girl, sitting on the front row of audience seats.
 
"Iseul?" I murmur to myself while the others are waching INFINITE. Why didn't she tell me that she would come tonight?
 
I was thinking to stand up and approach her but I hold the urge, knowing that I must be a professional. Minutes later I leave my seat to get ready for our stage.
 
This will be the first time Iseul watches me perform live on the stage.
 
Does she come for me?
 
Maybe she just comes to fulfill the contract. Maybe she just comes because she has free time... but I'm still happy to see her on New Year's Eve.
 
Strange enough when we have stepped on the stage, she is nowhere to be found. I almost forget to sing my part because I am too busy looking for her.
 
The chair is empty and there is no sign of Iseul anywhere. Even until we finish our performance and the show keeps going on, I don't see her.
 
Did I just imagine her because I want to see her?

__________
 
Author's Note:
 
I'm sorry for the (very) late update~ *bows*