Page 31, Courage

Enchanted - a story of us -
Yonghwa, Jung
 
Listening to Mr Park somehow makes me feel sad and sick. I know that he is doing all for Mrs Song even if it means he's broke now. He loves her too much and he tries to be a good man who can be there for her.
 
However I can't agree with his mindset to do everything to achieve his goal. Sacrificing Iseul is definitely not a good way to impress her mother.
 
On top of all, I am amazed with Iseul. I only know her as a honest girl who keeps a smile on her face to assure the world she is alright. Now that she opens up her heart and defends her father, I'm really amazed.
 
When someone claps just after Iseul said the defending words, we turn and see the man who just took off his black hat, "That's my daughter."
 
My eyes widen in shock because I recognize that face. It's the man who stood next to Iseul in the picture she showed us in her apartment.
 
"Appa!" Iseul covers in surprise. "What... Since when did... How..."
 
Mr Song laughs and gives us a satisfied grin, "Surprise!"
 
I exchange looks with Myungsoo and he shrugs, completely confused just like what happens to me right now. We have no idea that the situation will turn this way.
 
"So," Mr Song approaches his daughter and looks at Mr Park. "I heard you actually paid for my beloved wife's medication, Jinsu. Is it true?"
 
"Like what a man will do for the one he loves," Mr Park answers coldly. It's obvious that he doesn't expect his rival to be here. "What are you doing here?"
 
Mr Song puts his arm around Iseul and pulls her closer, "Visiting my wife and daughter, of course. What would I do other than that, my friend?"
 
"Appa, yo-" Iseul is going to ask her father but Mr Song ruffles her hair playfully and smiles widely.
 
"Thank you for all your hard work, Iseul. It must be hard for you lately, right? Remember the last letter I sent to you on your birthday?" he pats her head. "I told you it won't be long until you can reach me, right?"
 
Mr Park clicks his tongue and scoffs, "You come and go whenever you want, Kiseung. You left your family with debt. You left your wife who is sick. You left your daughter to be responsible with everything."
 
Iseul's father doesn't look to have interest in the complicated conversation. He looks at his friend, "I did say that I will return her money later, didn't I? It took a while but, well, I did it anyway."
 
He takes out a piece of paper from his pocket and show it to us, "Jjang! I'm the owner of this new online department store!"
 
My eyes read the letter which certified Song Kiseung as an owner of an online department store. Much to my surprise, it's actually one of the biggest online department store in Asia.
 
"All you know that I have debt for gambling but that's actually wrong," he rolls the letter again and grins. "My debt goes for money I used as my investment."
 
"And anyway, Jinsu," he snaps his fingers and point them to Mr Park, "I didn't abandon them. I worked to the fullest before I returned to them proudly."
 
"Why didn't you tell us?" Iseul finally asks a question to her father. "You could have let us know instead of letting us to think that you're running away drom debt!"
 
Mr Park smiles brightly, just like how Iseul always does, "Because I believe my family will have faith in me."
 
If my first impression about Mr Song is a drunk and cruel man, now I change my thought about it.
 
Song Kiseung is definitely a great guy.
 
 
Iseul, Song
 
My father hasn't changed. He does and talks whatever he wants to.
 
I am surprised to hear about what he did for me and my mother. I never thought he's actually serious about having a personal business. He is now an owner of a famous online department.
 
I know he's still wrong for making me work really hard for his debt. If only he told us.
 
My eyes start to be teary when he says that he believes that my mother and I have faith in him. I actually grew doubt inside of me, tired of working hard for his debt.
 
I regret my doubt now. I should have believed in him just like how my mother always does.
 
"Now," my father pats my shoulder, "let me talk with my best friend here and you can visit your mother."
 
I glance at Mr Park secretly but my father knows that I'm worried about them because he winks at me, "Don't worry. We're just going to talk. That's all."
 
My lips turn into a curve and I tell the two young guys to follow me to my mother's ward. It feels warm inside of me, a feeling that I haven't felt lately.
 
"Your father is amazing," Myungsoo praises. "He has high spirit and, wow, I bet he is really success now!"
 
I can't stop myself from smiling even when I enter the ward to meet my mother. She greets us cheerfully before she asks me, "You look really happy today. Did something good happen?"
 
"Omma, did Mr Park visit you often?" I ask her the question I've been wondering. Her smile disappears and I know the answer already. "Why didn't you tell me?"
 
She smiles weakly and answers, "Because I'm afraid you would disagree with his presence. I couldn't stop talking about your father with him but I think he doesn't really like it either."
 
"Omma," I hold her hand and smile. "Appa never really left us."
 
Her face beams and she embraces my hand, "I know, Iseul. I know."
 
"As for you two, young men," my mother suddenly shifts her gaze to Yonghwa and Myungsoo. "You two have some explanations to do."
 
They exchange looks and tilts heads, completely have no idea about what my mother is talking about. I don't know what she is trying to imply as well.
 
"Jinsu just came and told me that my daughter here actually is in a relationship with Jung Yonghwa, a member of famous band," she states with questioning look, "and she cheated on him because of another young idol named Kim Myungsoo."
 
Great. How could I forget about that issue just now?
 
"We can explain," Yonghwa retorts. "It doesn't look like what you think, Mrs Song."
 
"Yonghwa Hyung is right," Myungsoo tries to help. "A paparazzi worked on that and we definitely can explain everything."
 
"Actually...," I mumble with a smile, "...I will explain everything to you, Omma."
 
My father has the courage to come back and tell us everything. He even has courage to talk with his best friend after what he heard.
 
Now it's my turn to gather my courage and be honest to my mother.
 
"I'm listening, young lady," my mother raises her eyebrow playfully.
 
If my father can settle his problem, I'm sure I can do it as well.