Page 11, More

Enchanted - a story of us -
Iseul, Song
 
It's funny how I can answer all Myungsoo's questions calmly despite the fact that I barely know him. However I think I can believe in him for an unknown reason.
 
When he asks me about my ideal type, I just answer it the way my contract asked me to do: someone who can play guitar and sing. Those are things that Yonghwa can do. However it's not all lies because I do have interest with men who loves music.
 
"Do you have a boyfriend?" Myungsoo's next question catches all my attention in instance. Strange enough he sounds nervous at the moment.
 
I don't need to hesitate answering the question. I will definitely answer it with a 'yes' since I'm still bound with the contract so I don't consider it as a lie.
 
Before I can even give Myungsoo a 'yes', a voice interrupts our conversation, "Ah, Iseul?"
 
I quickly turn and a polite smile forms on my lips the moment I see the person who just greeted me, "Ah, Yuna Unnie. It's been a while."
 
As the woman who wears the nurse uniform approaches me, Myungsoo suddenly excuses himself to the restroom with a whisper. He disappears at the turn quickly, not giving me a chance to introduce him to Yuna.
 
"Is it your boyfriend?" she teases me with a mischievous smile. "What will Yonghwa say if he sees you two together?"
 
"He is a friend, Unnie," I gesture her to sit at Myungsoo's previous seat. "How are you doing lately?"
 
"Good as ever. It should be my question for you," she chuckles and gives me a wink. "What made you busy, Iseul? Your boyfriend or...?"
 
"I believe that you haven't told my mother any of it," I mutter calmly and lean my back against the chair. "How is she from your point of view?"
 
Kim Yuna is a nurse who works at the hospital where my mother is hospitalized. She is four years older than me and she, just like the other girls who follow the trend, knows for sure that Yonghwa is my boyfriend.
 
She is the one who often checks and accompanies my mother when I'm not with her. Therefore she also helps me to make sure my mother doesn't know a single thing about my relationship with Yonghwa.
 
She once said that I'm like a little sister for her since she doesn't have one. Yuna likes to tease me with Yonghwa whenever she has times to do it.
 
"She is getting better. Really," Yuna convinces me with a smile. "It will take a while but she will be better for sure."

It's strange how I only smile bitterly when she is trying to assure me about my mother's condition. There is a part of me who keeps telling me that it's all just the sweet talk with sympathy.

"Yonghwa is really nice though. He often comes to visit her," Yuna adds in with a big grin.
 
I just smile when she mentions about Yonghwa again. I know she is not the big fan of Yonghwa but, still, she acts like one sometimes. Thankfully she helps me to hide the fact that Yonghwa often visits this hospital for my mother.
 
"Well, I need to return to work now," she stands up and ruffles my hair playfully. "I'll see you again next time, Iseul. My regards for your friend!"
 
Yuna walks away and returns with her task while I just sit there, waiting for Myungsoo to return. After around five minutes, he still hasn't returned so I decide to look around for him.
 
I see Myungsoo is looking through the window at a corridor, tucking his hands inside the pockets. The snow is falling, covering the ground with the snowflakes.
 
"Myungsoo?" I call his name to have his attention. As he turns to look at me, I walk closer to him and look at the snow, "It's snowing again today."
 
"But you have the knit hat today," he grins, looking at me with his cheerful eye smile. "Is that your friend who works here?"
 
"Yes, she is," I turn my back and lean to the window. I study his face and smile when I notice the obvious happiness on his face just by looking at the snow.
 
I don't have many friends, especially the one who acknowledges me for being myself, not Yonghwa's girlfriend. That's why I really appreciate Myungsoo's companion with me whenever we meet.
 
"Do you really want to know why I choose the hospital to come during the winter?"
 
 
Myungsoo, Kim
 
I follow Iseul to a ward, wondering who is the one she visits here. She pushes open the door and then I see the soft and warm smile decorates her face, "Omma."
 
My eyes widen in surprise when I hear her word and see the woman who is laying down on the hospital bed. There are fluids injected to her for a reason that I still don't know.
 
I bow politely and greet her, knowing that she is Iseul's Mother already. I also introduce myself with my real name, wondering if she knows that I'm an idol.
 
When Yuna appeared from nowhere, I was really surprised and anxious that she would recognize me. That's why I quickly slipped away to prevent the further unluck.
 
Mrs Song gives me a weak but sincere smile, "Myungsoo, right? Ah, thank you for giving me a visit. I'm sorry that I can't greet you properly..."
 
"Ah, no, it's alright," I quickly speak up, feeling uncomfortable with her apology when she did nothing wrong. "I'm sorry for coming without nothing in hand. Next time I will make sure to bring one."
 
Mrs Song laughs softly and looks at Iseul, "My daughter sure knows how to charm men, don't you, dear?"
 
"No, I don't," Iseul retorts with a smile as she pours a glass of water for her mother. "Happy Christmas' Eve, Omma. I will make sure to visit you tomorrow as well."
 
Her mother tells her to take care of her health because it's winter already and she gives me the same advice. When she holds Iseul's hand, I can feel that my eyes become teary.
 
"Excuse me for a while," I mumble and quickly head out from the ward, embarassed to show my tears to the women inside. I heave a sigh and wipe the single tear which escaped my eye. "Aish, Kim Myungsoo, since when did you become a crybaby?"
 
"Myungsoo?" Iseul follows me outside. She closes the door behind her and approaches me, "Are you alright?"
 
"Ah, yes, I ju-" I freeze as the words are stuck in my throat because Iseul suddenly puts her hand on my forehead. She tiptoes to reach my face, making our faces are only inches away.
 
"You don't have fever," she pulls her hand back and tilts her head. "Is there something wrong, Myungsoo?"
 
I try to speak normally even though my heart is beating rapidly, "No... It's just..."
 
How can I tell her that I feel like a fool because I know nothing about her mother is being hopitalized. Is that why she works really hard here and there?
 
As if she can read my mind, she tiptoes again and pats my head twice, "It's alright if you're thinking of my mother. She will be alright. Everyone tells me that."
 
"She is diagnosed with cancer among seven months ago. There are debts that I need to pay and the medical expenses nowadays are just not cheap," Iseul explains, still giving me a smile. "But she will be alright, won't she?"
 
I don't know what's gotten into me but, for seconds when I see her asking the rhetorical question, I feel that she is really fragile and she can break down anytime.
 
I know she is a strong girl. She proved it to me with her spirit to work even during winter. She showed it to me through her never ending smiles.
 
After the quick seconds, I know that I'm not supposed to do it, but my heart works faster than my brain. I can't stop myself to pull her into a hug.
 
"She will be alright...," I whisper, inhaling the scent that always reminds me of winter and Iseul at the same time. "She will be..."
 
Iseul clutches my shirt and then, with wavering voice, she murmurs vividly, "Thank you, Myungsoo..."
 
There it goes again. My heart beats uncontrollably just by hearing her voice speaking my name.
 
It's silly for me, who barely knows her, to fall in love with her. It can't be true that I fall for her when she doesn't even know me like how my fans do...
 
...but I can't help myself but to be enchanted to meet her.
 
To see her face. To admire her smile. To hear her voice. To talk with her. To feel her scent.
 
To be with her.
 
More and more.