Our Light

Light In The Hallway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


The only way we can 
live forever is to
touch people's hearts. 
You will never 
fade away 
in their memories
—for a lifetime. 

/ FINAL / Our Light
[ S I N B ]

The next day, we gave our gift to Sojung unnie. The gift we made when we're on Japan;  the day before the doctors told us that time is running fast for her. The gift was a box full of pictures, pictures of us and our memories. We all want to check the photos so Sojung unnie suggested to lay them out on the floor.

"Look at this," Yerin unnie said, holding a picture. "This is the first time we perform on stage. The day we debuted as GFRIEND."

We laughed at the old memories. On that picture, it's obvious that we're all nervous. Eunha unnie must have eaten something before the performance because her cheeks were puffy. 

I smiled. Yerin unnie and I are sitting on the floor, the others on the sofa and Sojung unnie on the wheelchair. The pictures were scattered on the floor as we look back on our past experiences. It was afternoon and the light streaks from the sun were peeking through the open window.

"This was the first time we went on a fan signing event," Yuju unnie said, chuckling. "Our very own fan signing event with buddy. We're full of energy at that time." 

In the picture, we were sitting on the floor, holding up mics, laughing and goofing around.

"This is one of my favourites," Eunha unnie said.

She pointed at the picture that was taken last new year celebration. We took several pictures at that time. It was our first party at the dorm... just the six of us. We played games and ate a lot. The picture unnie's pointing to was when we were having barbeque after lighting up the firecrackers.

"Yuju looks like a real puppy here," Sojung unnie giggled as she saw the photo. A picture in the dorm where Yuju unnie was sulking on the ground.

"This is the day we went to the beach," Yewon said as she held a photo and look at it.

I like the picture. We're wearing casual clothes, probably taping a variety show. Sojung unnie was wearing a long coat and we all looked happy. I was there too, grinning widely, with unnie's arms on my shoulder.

"And our first concert!"

There was an excited chatter that comes with the memories. They picked the pictures that were taken during our first concert. There are pictures on and off stage, on the waiting room while we were all praying for a successful night, dance rehearsals and candid shots.

"We've been through many things. I didn't notice the time with you guys. Everything is magical."

There's a moment of silence on what Eunha unnie said. 

"Yeah... and yet look how far we've already come. We're still complete."

That time, I noticed the sadness on Sojung unnie's smiles. We believed too much... we hoped too much that her return is long term. But from her family's knowing stares up to the nurse's silent whispers, we know that there is something wrong and they're just letting us be with her for the last time.

"Aren't you hungry, girls?" Eunha unnie chuckled. "...because I'm getting hungry." 

It was a lame attempt to change the subject. But I know... they also feel it. No matter what we do, no matter how much we deny it to ourselves, I know we're all feeling the same thing. This could be the last.

"I have a little favour, girls. If you don't mind..." Sojung unnie ignored the latter's words. 

"Anything for you, unnie. Tell us." Yuju unnie answered first. Moving closer to hear unnie's voice clearer.

"I want to take more photos." She mustered a smile. "Maybe we can go to the rooftop after Eunha get her food?" 

Eunha pouted and we all chuckled. "Of course, unnie. Your wish is our command." 

Eunha and Yuju unnie decided to go outside to buy foods. Yerin unnie excused herself, telling us that she needs to go to the comfort room. Little did she know, I saw her wiping her eyes before she leaves the room.

"Eunbi," 

I blinked and looked at Sojung unnie. 

"I want some fresh air. Can you come with me?" There's a glint of sadness in her eyes but still offered me a beautiful smile.

I returned the smile and walked towards her. Yewon nodded, reassuring me that it's okay. I know they all want to spend time with her but still respected our time together whenever Sojung unnie asked to. I mouthed thank you and pushed unnie's wheelchair. We went to the park near the hospital.

It's late afternoon and the sun is about to set. We settled on a bench near a tree, helping unnie sit beside me. She insisted even if I told her that I will just stand by her side. 

"Please," She said sho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter