Good night

Light In The Hallway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Of all wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear, Seeing that death,
a necessary end,
will come when it will come."
- William Shakespeare

/21/ Good night

Waking up for chemo is more depressing than Sojung thought. She's trying to not let it get to her, and with her sister around it's been easier than expected.

"You know Sojungie, Gfriend charted number one on all music charts. The new song is banging! The girls were happy. They said they will drop by here later after their schedule. Aren't you just proud of your dongsaengs?" Sohyun said as she crouched down on Sojung who is sitting on a wheelchair. Sojung met her eyes and despite the events that are about to come today, gave her sweetest smile. She's always been proud of her girls. She knew they will make it.

"You know I am." She smirked. "I knew they will make me proud." As expected, Sohyun chuckled at her confidence. She stands up and begins pushing the chair.

"Right." She starts laughing. "They have an amazing leader. What else should I expect?" Sohyun stopped as they entered the room where their mom was waiting.

"Hi sweetie," Sojung's mom smiles. She walked at her youngest side and reach out for her hand. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah, mom." Sojung smiled back for their sake, trying to reassure her mother. She knew that they are all worried about her condition, and the least she can do is to fight with a smile in her face.

A nurse comes in the room and situated Sojung on the hospital bed. Sohyun helped, making sure that her sister is comfortable.

"Alright Miss Kim, we will begin the procedure when Dr Weker comes." The nurse begins through the heavy western accent. "The fewer people in here the better, are all y'all staying?"

"Just me and someone. She'll come in a bit." Sohyun raises her hand. "Mom will take care of some paper works needed at the lobby."

"Alright then, let us get this show on the road."

Sohyun stepped back from the bed as Dr Weker comes in with 2 more nurses. They started to prepare the medical tools needed. Her hands trembled as she sees the nurses hooks the pointy needles on her younger sister. She took a deep long breath to keep herself strong. Her sister needed her. There's no space for weakness now. She mustered a reassuring smile when she and Sojung's eyes met. Sojung smiled back but her eyes speak for itself.

Sojung look around the room and see her mother and sister looking at her with the same dull sad look. She too knows that she has the same look no matter how she tried hard to smile, but she kept herself together. She needs to be strong. She looked up at her mom who's on the verge of tears but trying to keep a strong front for her. Her unnie who's looking at the needles in her arms with sadness and devastation. So despite her pain, despite her situation, Sojung smiles.

Manager Joon came with Sinb after an hour, still wearing her stage outfit. The younger insisted to come over for her unnie. She sat and stayed with Sohyun at the room, watching Sojung go through her first chemotherapy.

Four hours later, Sojung's chemo is done for the day. Sohyun leaves to go get the car as Sinb helps Sojung sit in the wheelchair.

"You okay, unnie?" Sinb gently asks as Sojung sit back and close her eyes.

"I'm fine."  She said with a tired smile.

"Is it always like this?"

"Mostly," Sojung answered. "The side effects usually kick in a few hours after the treatment so you get to miss out on that part."

They enter the elevator and it's just them, so Sinb takes the opportunity to move around the wheelchair and kneel in front of her unnie. She grabs her hands and gently asks, "Are you really okay?"

A small smile makes its way onto Sojung's lips. "This is as good as it gets, Eunbi. I'm fine."

The younger frowns as she plays with her unnie's fingers. Sojung noticed Sinb's jaw clenched. "This shouldn't be the best for you, unnie. You don't deserve this."

"Not a lot of people do, Bi." Sojung smile sadly. "Hey," she whispers and takes Sinb's face in her hands. "Thank you for being here today."

"Of course." She answers with fierce determination. "You're going to be okay, unnie. I won't let this take you away."

_________

Dawn is just breaking the horizon when Umji woke up. She sees Yuju on her side, starting to stir up too.

"Good morning." Yuju muttered under her breath, still half asleep. Umji greet back and agreed to start the day early.

Yuju and Umji are both on Kim's residence. They drove straight here after their last schedule last night. They are the only ones who don't have any schedule for the day, so they decided to stay in Sojung's house to spend time and possibly take care of their unnie. Of course, Sojung's mother is happy after she learned about their plan. After all, they needed all the support for their youngest at these times.

The two walked downstairs and was greeted by Sojung's mom who was already preparing breakfast.

"Good morning, eomeonim."

"Good morning," She greeted with a warm smile. "Seems like you are both morning people. It's good to see you this early." She faces the girls. "I hope my daughters are also like that. They sleep like logs." They all chuckled at the last remark.

"Maybe not Yuju unnie. She always overslept too... like her roommate." Umji snickered and glance sideways at Yuju.

"Hey~" Yuju pouted. "Not all the times." she grabbed the younger and tickled her sides. Mrs Kim just laughed at their bickering. She is used to witnessing this kind of scenes.

Yuju walks into the counter after releasing Umji. "Sorry for that Mrs Kim."

The elder waved her hand, "No worries my dears. So what are your plans for today?"

"Actually, we still don't know. Maybe we will just ask Sowon unnie about that." Yuju sat in near the counter while Umji walked pass through her, ignoring the pup.

"How about we help you cook, eomeonim?" Umji asks while looking at the dishes at the counter. The elder agreed and let the two prepare the other dishes as they wait for the Kim siblings to wake up.

__

"Good morning!" Sojung is in a good mood as she walked downstairs wearing her oversized hoodie. She walked through the dining area with a smile. "Eomma! I want some co–why are you here?" She asked halfway as she saw Yuju and Umji in the kitchen.

"Surprise!" Yuju exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. Her smiles turned into a frown when she saw Sojung frozen in her position. "Don't you like us here, unnie?"

Sojung blinked, processing if her mind is just making up things. She immediately pulls her beanie closer to her head, conscious of what she looks. Fortunately, Sohyun who just came nudged her. "O-of course I do." She stuttered and blink a few more times. "But why? Don't you have schedules? And where are the others?" She roamed her eyes as a genuine smile escaped in her lips.

"They have a show to shoot today, unnie. But Yewon and I were not needed there so... here we are!" Yuju rushed over and hugged Sojung which caused the older to let out a chuckle. She let down her guards after that, she reached out her other hand for Umji to come closer. The younger smiles and join the hug. A long tight warm hug they all needed.

"I'm so happy that two of my babies are here." Sojung mumbled as she tightens the hug.

"You don't know how the others whined after they learned that they can't go to see you," Umji giggled. "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter