Time

Light In The Hallway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We all thought
that a home is a place.
But home can be a person,
A set of friends,
A family.

"When I am with you,
I feel at home."

/23/ Time

The sunset filled the sky with a deep red flame, setting the clouds ablaze. The scene was beautiful, a masterpiece for one's eyes, but for her, it's just a reminder on how the day ended. Yerin heaved a deep sigh.  Another day had passed. Another day without Sojung. It's been two weeks since they left home, but it seems like years for Yerin and the girls. Though they never missed calling Sojung whenever it is possible, it was still unsettling that they are far away from each other. If only they could be free to do whatever they want, they will fly right away to see Sojung and stay by her side.

Yerin let out a sigh for the nth time, she closed the windows and plopped down to bed. The schedules were very tight, promotions after promotions, and yet with all of the things they need to do, she could not focus herself. Her mind keeps wandering on Sojung's condition. And she knew that the other girls were having a hard time too. Sojung's last call was 3 days ago, and it's bothering them so much that they can't even focus at work. She wants to do something to ease their longing but she feels helpless without Sojung's guidance.

She took out a letter from her pocket. A letter from Sojung. They all got one when they left. The letters were written neatly on a piece paper, and it was tucked in colourful envelopes. She had read it again and again for the last few days until she almost memorized every word. It was a short message from her unnie, but it never fails to make her feel safe and warm.

Her mind stopped wondering when she heard the door unlocked. She glanced sideways and saw Yuju and Eunha, her new roommates.

"We brought you some food, unnie." Yuju said as she settled the plastic bag at the table. Yerin nodded her head and watched as the two other girls bring themselves to the bed.

"The food downstairs was not good." Eunha snuggled to Yerin. "I already missed home."

"But you still ate well," Yerin chuckled at Yuju's remarks. Same old Eunha. "What? You also said that the pasta was delicious." Yuju added when Eunha shoots her death stares.

"That's because I'm hungry~ Sowonie's cooking's are still the best." Eunha retorts back, snuggling closer to Yerin. "I miss her..."

The silence grew after Eunha's words. Of course, how did Yerin forget? They all miss Sojung. She bit back a sigh and let Eunha's warmth overwhelmed her.

"Should we call her?" Yuju sat up as she reached out for her phone. "I'm sure she misses us too."

Eunha looked up, "But what if she's sleeping already? As much as I want to hear her voice, I don't want to disturb her rest."

"Yeah. I think so..." Yerin hesitates as she looked up to see Eunha's sad face. "Besides, unnie promised that she will call us whenever she could."

Yuju pouted her lips, still looking at Sojung's name on her phone. "Right... but she's been ignoring our calls since Monday. What if something bad happened–" Yuju did not finish her words when they heard a phone ringing.

Yerin knitted her brows and stands up to get her phone on the nightstand. She did not hesitate to answer the phone call when she saw the caller. "Hello?"

Yuju and Eunha exchange glances as Yerin answered the call. The older staggered as she walked back to where they are. "Hello?" Yerin repeated when no one answered on the other line. She looked at the other girls with confused eyes. "He–"

"Y-yerin?" Shivers run through her spine when she heard Sohyun's unstable voice.

"Sohyun unnie? D-did something happened?" She began to feel anxious about Sohyun's urgent call.

"Are the girls with you right now?"

Yerin paused and bit her lip. She is now sure that something is happening. "Only Yuna and Eunha... why?"

"Can you gather them? I need to tell you something important."

"O-of course..." She turned to the girls, and all she can see was worry and confusion. "Yuna... call the maknaes." Yuju nodded and walked out of the room.

Yerin sat beside Eunha as she turned the loudspeaker on.

"What happened, unnie? Is Sowonie okay?" Eunha asked, her lips starting to tremble.

"She..."

They can hear Sohyun's deep breathing like she's trying not to break down. And Yerin was starting to think of the worst scenario they could hear. She holds Eunha's hand on hers and nodded, giving each other strength.

"L-let's wait for the other girls... are they with you now?" Sohyun did not answer Eunha's words and asked again with a strained voice. And as if on cue, Umji, Sinb and Yuju walked in the room with the same confused eyes.

"What's happening?" Umji's brows furrowed when she saw her unnie's faces. Yerin did not answer her and just motioned the maknae to come closer.

"We are now complete, unnie... w-why did you called?" Yerin asked though she already sensed that something bad happened.

"Sojung..." Sohyun started slow. The girls on the other line held their breath as Sohyun dropped the news.  "Sojung... she's in the ICU."

Sinb's knees weakened when she heard those words. She sat down on the nearest bed and let out a silent cuss. "What? Why?" She bravely asked when no one dared to speak.

"We admitted her to the hospital a week ago... sorry if we did not tell you right away..." Sohyun confessed, "Sojung doesn't want to worry you."

The girls just listened to Sohyun, too worried than surprised on the news. "Oh my god..." Yuju muttered, silently crying.

"She's in the ICU now...  I called so you can prepare yourselves when you come back here."

"I-is she okay?" Eunha stuttered as she suppressed her sobs. She felt Yerin's grip on her hand become tighter as if the older girl is trying to grasp the reality.

Sohyun took long to answer Eunha's question, "S-she... she will be... but could you go back here? Just in case... she..." She left them hanging, too afraid to say the words.

The girls exchange glances, " We will try– " Yerin paused when they heard commotions on the other line. "Sohyun unnie? Is everything okay?"

There are incoherent voices and panicking. "G-girls..." Sohyun answered with shortness of breath. "I will call back later." She said and hung up the line.

Yerin looked at the phone on her trembling hands. The tension on the room envelopes them as they process what just happened.

"What the hell." Sinb muttered under her breath. "We should go there now." She stands up but then Umji held her back.

"Eunbi, we can't–"

"–why!? She needs us!" Sinb looked at Umji with frustration etched on her eyes. She's tired of being helpless again and again.

Umji, let go of Sinb's arm as she hung her head low. Sinb let out a long deep sigh and pulled the maknae on a hug. How could I be so selfish at these times? She thought. "Sorry... I'm just worried."

"We need to talk to our manager." Yerin said as she brushed her hair up. "I can't stay like this."

Yerin dialled Joon's number but he's not answering. She stands up and dialled again and again. She muttered a silent cuss when the line just keeps on ringing.

Eunha walked beside Yerin and get the phone on her hand. She knew that the older girl was restless. They all are. But they need to calm down, they can't just panic. It will bring no good. Yerin sighed and let herself pulled by a hug. "It's alright, unnie. We can talk to him tomorrow. Besides, it's night already and we are all tired." As much as she wants to fly right away to where their unnie was, they just can't. There are a lot of things to consider.

"Eunha is right." Yuju said as she blinked her tears away. "Sohyun unnie said that she will call us again. We just need to wait."

_

"I'm sorry girls." Joon answered when the girls told him their request. "You know how much work we need to finish more. And it has been barely two weeks, we can't cut the contract right away. You know that. Besides, you just need to wait for a week."

The girls lower their heads when they heard the news. Sohyun did call them back last night. She told them that Sojung was alright and she was moved into a normal room. But the girls were still worried, they cannot focus themselves again. They need to see Sojung's condition.

"We are not asking to cancel the whole schedule. We're just asking for a day." Umji calmly told the young manager.

"I'll see what I can do." He sighed, "But I can't guarantee you anything, okay?" The girls nodded and watched as the young manager dialled someone on the phone. He excused himself for a second to talk privately.

"Are you sure that one day is enough?" Yuju beamed at Yerin who thought of the alternative plan. They knew well that the management will disagree to cancel the events without even knowing their reason. But if they'll just politely ask for a day, there's a huge possibility that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter