Further Away

Light In The Hallway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The horizon speaks so clearly,
it's shadows crisp and clear.
And yet,
among this infinite landscape,
the future is just a hazy dream."

/12/ Further Away

"Good job, girls! See you again tomorrow." The director commends the girls after their video filming.

"Thank you for working hard," Gfriend bowed at the staff and thanked them one by one.

It was late in the afternoon after Yerin and Sowon distressed last night. Today's schedule was fully packed, they're coming back with a new album and they're working non-stop since this morning. Yerin didn't get the chance to ask nor talk to Sowon after what happened last night or even after they wake up.  They are so busy with their upcoming events that they don't even have time to loosen up.

Yerin tried to ask Sowon earlier that day, but the older reassured her that she's okay and she doesn't have to worry. Yerin wants to believe that it's just one of her unnie's anxiety episodes, but after the accidental call from Sowon's sister, she can't help but fall to a different conclusion. So she keeps on watching her unnie, who actually looks alright, calm and cool as normal as usual. Sowon was able to work, do her responsibilities effortlessly, and laugh with everybody as if last night never happened.

Yerin just let out a deep sigh. "What are you up to, unnie?"

The fact that Sowon acts okay makes Yerin more worried. She wished that her unnie could open up soon and share her problems with them. She also noticed Sinb, that little Eunbi is acting weird today, she's clingy and sweet to Sowon. Contrary to what she usually acts when their leader is around. One thing is for sure, Sinb also knew what's happening to their leader.

"Unnie, can you pass me the water bottle?" Yerin picked up one bottle at the table and gave it to Umji who was sitting on a couch.

"Are you okay, unnie? You seemed bothered." Umji asked as Yerin flopped herself down beside the maknae.

"Yeah, just got a long night." She answered, her eyes fixed on somewhere else. Yerin watched as Sowon and Sinb talked in hushed voices far away from them. Now her suspicion for the two is getting bigger. "What the hell are they talking about?"

"Are you sure? You looked pissed right now." Umji points out, taking small sips of water. She also checked what Yerin was looking out. She squinted her eyes, the only thing she saw that would affect Yerin's mood was her best friend and leader talking closely to each other, and there's nothing wrong about that.

Yerin shifted her eyes and looked at the younger, "Tell me Yewon, do you notice something odd between Sowonie and Sinb lately?"

Umji was taken aback and almost choked, "What?! I mean... why did you ask, unnie?"

Yerin looked closely at Umji's reaction, she knew that the maknae also knew something she didn't. "Nothing." She dismissed, it's like everyone is hiding something. Yerin can't risk it now, she's having a headache because of this. "Do you know what's happening to Sowon unnie?"

"N-no," Umji stuttered, "What happened to her?"

"You don't know?" Yerin asked again, the maknae slowly shook her head, but Yerin didn't miss the look on Umji's eyes, she knew something. Yerin thought of telling her dongsaengs about what she found out about their leader. But seeing them, Sinb and now Umji, makes Yerin doubt on what she already knew. 

"Nothing. Forget it Yewon. I think I'm just tired." She said, then walked away from the maknae. She takes big strides and watches the film previews on a small screen. Although she wants to focus on her job, she can't get off her mind on that matter.

Yerin thought of talking to Sowon's sister about the call this morning.  She wants to help her unnie. It's alarming to know that their leader was hiding a lot of hurt and burden by herself. But how and when? She can still clearly remember Sowon's state last night. And even by just thinking of Sowon’s face makes Yerin's heart race. She wants to let her dongsaengs know what happened last night, so they can work things out together to help their leader. The truth will unveil soon, that's what she's certain of.

"Yerin-ah,"

"U-unnie," Yerin flinched but mustered a smile right away after seeing Sowon. "Do you need something?"

"Actually yes," Sowon smiled back, but it did not reach her eyes.

"Tell me. What is it, unnie?"

"I can't go to our next schedule. I need to meet someone right now,  I'm thinking if you could take charge for a while,"

Yerin paused, she thought of the call earlier, "Is she going to the hospital?" Yet even though she's worried, she reassured Sowon with a smile, "Of course, unnie. No need to ask me."

"Thank you, Yennie."

"But may I ask where you are going? Will Sunji-unnie come along too?"

"No, she has something to do. I'm going to the city. Don't worry I will not take too long. Just an hour maybe,"

"Oh, " Yerin becomes nervous all of a sudden. She sensed something wrong would happen. "Are you sure you'll be okay alone?"

"I'm okay now, Yerin-ah. Thank you for everything, I can smile a lot." Sowon smiled then caressed Yerin's hair.

Yerin can't help but to pull her unnie into a hug, "I love you, unnie. Everything will be fine soon." Her head was full of doubts, questions, and worries. She just wants to hold her unnie forever, embrace her with love so she doesn't have to shed tears every night because that's what she deserved.

Sowon kissed the top of her head and hugged her tighter. "I hope so, Yennie."

The night was still young but Sowon feels so exhausted right now that she thought she would pass out anytime. She's in the hospital for the nth time of the week, and all she wishes right now was to go home. Sowon was sitting on a thin sheet of cloth, in yet again, another hospital gown. The nurse poked her arm with needles, it shouldn't be that big of a deal for her now, but she still hates it a lot.

"Stay still," The nurse ordered because her hands are trembling. Sowon pursed her lips and held her breath until the nurse finished injecting the fluid through her veins. She sighed, it will be a lot better if her unnie is there by her side. Sohyun who was usually there to calm Sowon during check-ups didn't have time to accompany her for today, so Sohyun asked Gfriend's manager, Sunji, to come along. But unfortunately, Sunji has more important things to do in the company, so Sowon needs to go alone.

"Wait for Dr. Weker here, Ms. Kim." One of the nurses told Sowon after taking her vital signs and listed it on the clipboard. Sowon nodded and gave her a small smile. She fidgeted on her seat. She can't help but feel nauseous. She already knows what Dr. Weker is going to tell her and she's not yet ready to face it.

Sowon's watch-and-wait time has been a giant fail. The doctors had been monitoring her for months now and though her medications help her to cope up a bit, she needs more specific procedures if she wants to get better. Dr. Weker already told her ahead of time about the treatment but Sowon can't bring herself into reality. She can't decide whether she wants to continue or not, because she doesn't want it. She doesn't want to go through chemotherapy and radiation. She doesn't want to have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter