Hwang Aera

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

Warning: This chapter may be unsettling and include violent acts against children. Please be aware.

_________________________________
 

"You cannot escape! Filthy rat"

 

They heard her laugh, a burst of psychotic and hysterical laughter. It cut through the cold air as if the devil had announced its arrival. It strikes fear into his guts yet he wouldn't stop. He would run until there's no skin left on his feet, then he would crawl if it's meant that he could break free from the soul- cage.

 

He abruptly stopped his step when he found themselves standing on top of the hills that were little more than a layer of poor soil over rock. Dead end. He was doomed, to back off now would only mean entering the lion's starving belly as he knew better that their enemies were not far behind. They would found them. He had no choice. He took a step forward and stared down to the overlapped foothills where the valley river wend around.

 

"We need to jump" He said, staring at the young boy. "It'll be fine, I'm here" He convinced the boy when he saw fear and sorrow behind his blue orbs. He tightened his grasp on the boy as they took a few steps backward. Though he knew that the possibility for them to survive is almost zero but it was better, much better than surrender themselves to the monster behind."


 

Jeongyeon sits bolt upright all at once, gasping for breath, his eyes wide open, anger in their depths. He
anxiously looks around the room and sees a shape of a man crouching on the floor. He rises and walks closer, "Mark?" He asks, as he slowly recognizes his brother's face illuminated by the light coming from the living room, "What are you doing there? What happened?" He steps forwards but Mark immediately scoots back, leaning against the wall and hugs his knees to his chest.

 

"She's back. Hwang Aera" A small whimper escaped his quivering lips. He is struck with unusual fear, trembling as tears rolling down his cheeks. Mark covered his ears and shook his head, mumbling audible words.

 

Jeongyeon cast his gaze downwards, a turbulent wrath consumed him. He gritted his teeth and walks to the kitchen. He returns with a glass of water and a transparent packet filled with various pills. Tearing the packet, he unclenched Mark's fist and put the pills onto his palm, then hands him the water. Mark looks up whilst Jeongyeon reciprocated the gesture with a softer and soothing gaze. Mark blinks and swallows the pills, later his vision becoming blurry.


 

Jeongyeon got down on his knees and draws Mark closer, resting the younger's forehead against his shoulder as he hugs him. "Don't worry. She'll be dead before she can lay a hand on us. You can sleep and don't think of anything. I'll be the bad guy, I'll get rid all of them while you can stay as a good and innocent person, like you have always been, like the kid I've first met. I'm sorry, I've dragged you to all of this mess. It's time for you to live for your own life, not for me. You don't owe me anything. At least, I'm hoping that one of us can lead a decent and happy life after the suffering we've been through. You deserve that much"










 

*   *   *   *

Tzuyu stops in front of the entrance. A guard comes out, seeing him and opens the gate. Tzuyu parks his car and moves with a bouquet in hand through the stone path. He smiles and greets the guard, a little confused why the guard has to open the gate himself when it can be opened automatically. The guard bows and hands him an iPad. He takes it and stares at the screen. Instantly, his smile drops as if there's a different person in his place. He has to grit his teeth and clench his fists, threatening to crush the fragile rose in his hand.

 

Tzuyu groans back a curse and walks past the guard, entering the house. He slams the door behind him in anger and immediately dials her number. His eyes begin to shift nervously while he grips the phone tightly, waiting for her to pick up the calls. It doesn't reach her instead. The guard reports to him that Sana goes out a couple of minutes ago and hasn't returned. He can't stop nor have control over the negative scenario playing inside his mind. His anxiety roars when she's away from her, incapable of enduring short periods of absence from her.

 

A moment later, he heard the hinges of the front door creaks open and closes with a soft thud. He snaps his head towards the sounds and sees her; her lover Sana. The house goes silent, eerily silent as they stand still, staring at each other. Tzuyu grins and walks to her. His smile is a little crooked, perhaps because his jaw is still rigid. From the tense air that surrounds them and his hardened expression, she knows. He has his temper well under control now, but she can still sense his anger simmering under the surface. She steps away from him, trying to think of something that might trigger his anger.

 

Tzuyu lifts his hand to brush the tumbled hair from her face, Sana unconsciously wince from it, "Where have you been?" The gentleness of his voice brings her back to herself. Sana sighs in relief, maybe she's assuming things too early.

 

"I just went to the nearby convenience store" She raises two bags fills with snacks. 

 

"Why aren't you answering my calls?"

 

Sana frowns and places the bags down. She taps her pocket and realizes she doesn't bring it with her, "Ah, I accidentally left my pho---"

 

He stands directly in front of her with a smile that fades and a menacing look in his eyes. He grabs her shoulders enough to made her grimace in pain. "I've told you to always bring your phone with you! What if something happens? I can't contact you and I don't know your whereabouts" He let go of his hands while she staggers backward because of the force.

 

Sana flinches at his harsh display of temper. Indeed, she isn't assuming things, she's right from the beginning. It's happening again. She breathes out and leans forward, reaching for his hand. She holds it tightly and gives it a little squeeze, "It's my fault. I'm sorry, I'll be careful next time" she smiles, acknowledging her mistakes. She knows, he can be overprotective and worry about her well-being. However, that doesn't seem to be the only reason.

 

Tzuyu yanks her hands off him and walks away, "Did someone come yesterday" He waits but her silence fuelled him more, "Sana, I'm asking" The sharp tenor of his deep, commanding voice gives her a pause. She's hesitant to answer him since Tzuyu had warned her to avoid any interaction with Jeongyeon. She didn't mean to open the gate for the latter yesterday but she was too excited thinking it was Tzuyu since he had promised her to come.

 

Sana cast her gaze down, unable to look at him in the eye. She's aware of what will happen if he found out about it. Lying isn't good either but she has no choice. Sana shakes her head, "No one"

 

"Really?" He snarls, there's a serrated edge of bitterness in his voice.

 

"Is there something wro---"

 

Tzuyu storms off to the cubicle kitchen and begin slamming the cabinet, in search of something. She swiftly follows his step and watches him rummaging the place. He halts when he sees the velvet box neatly placed inside the last cabinet, "What is this then?" He raises his head and flashes a furious glance at her. Sana frowns, visibly taken aback. He flings the box onto the floor, scattering the flower tea around the place.

 

Sana flinch from it and huff in disbelief, "Are you monitoring me all this time? I'm tired Tzuyu. This behavior of yours is suffocating. I want you by my side, not you keeping an eye on me through someone else. I know how hard it is for you as the successor and I understand how busy you are. But why do you blame me for your absence?"

 

"You get paranoia and overly sensitive. You throw your anger at me for something out of my control. You treat me like your queen then hurt me in a second. I'm not responsible for the action of others! Stop abusing me because of your extreme jealousy!" Her voice rises without effort from . Tears rise in her eyes but she shakes them away, afraid might close up and prevent her from continuing.

 

Tzuyu marches towards her, his fury increasing in every step, getting the better of him. He pushes Sana to hit the wall and while she's shocked by his action and attempted to steady herself, he grabs her violently. Sana struggles to pull away in vain but before she can even think of anything, her mouth is covered with his as he tries to kiss her forcibly. He overpowers her, pinning her to the wall with his body. He kisses her hard and long, his mouth open, his tongue ing aggressively against hers, his hands hot and urgent on her body. He rips open the front of her blouse, scattering the buttons across the floor.

 

Sana bites his lips, and he jerks away. She takes the opportunity and pushes him off her. Her face is pale, her breathing agitated. She swings her arm wide and slaps him broadly across the face, "That's for blindly accusing me" Her hand comes up to slap him again. "That's for not trusting me" She flails out her arm for the last time and with all her strength strikes his face, "And that's for hurting me" She gazes at him through red-rimmed, watery eyes. She blinks hard and a lone tear escapes, sliding down her cheek. is drawn tightly as if she's holding in an outburst.

 

Tzuyu stands firm, his hair flopping over his eyes, a tinge of red across his face. His lip is cut and his mouth is full of blood. Sana fight the urge to caress his cheeks. She sees a tear escape from the corner of one of his eyes, and it rips her heart out. They have been in a similar situation countless time, the difference is today she voices out and fight back. She knows him, she knows how miserable and guilty he is now but she won't comfort him and assure him that everything is alright, when in fact it isn't.

 

She looks away from him. "You never change. Just leave," Sana mumbles through quivering lips. Without sparing a glance, he walks out of the house.

 

Immediately, Sana's legs give way and she collapses to the floor. Closing her eyes, she calms her emotions. She wipes her tears and sighs, releasing the pressure and pain in her chest. She looks around the mess he created and slowly picks the flower tea. Sana halts when she sees a pair of legs approaching her. She hesitantly looks up. It's Momo, staring down at her. Sana quickly fixes her blouse, holding it tight in an attempt to cover her upper body. However, she isn't quick enough.

 

Momo manages to catch a glimpse of Sana's upper torso, arms and shoulder scarred with old bruises. She isn't that clueless, she knows about Tzuyu's behavior but she doesn't know it has gotten worse, "I used to wonder why sometimes you wore black sunglasses when I visited you back then." Momo hiss, recalling the time where she didn't understand the reason Sana wore black glasses when she was at home. She clenches her fists, rigid with rage, "I will kill him"

 

"Momo, it's nothing like that" Sana convinces, grabbing the countertop as support. Her legs wobble as she struggles to stand up again. She smiles, "Couple quarrel sometimes"

 

"You are confused between quarrel and abuse. He's crossing the line and you always forgive him again and again. You told me sometimes you aren't sure whether his feelings for you are love or obsession. How about you? Your feeling towards him. Is it love or obsession? You don't keep those who constantly hurt you Sana, thinking that the temporary comfort they give can make it up to all of their mistakes. Forgiveness is the best thing you can give someone. But, if the forgiveness is abused, is it deserved?" Momo arc her brows, waiting for an answer but Sana remains quiet. 

 

She huffs and adds, "Tzuyu is a kid. He doesn't have enough emotional maturity. Stop overlooking all his flaws and problems. You give him the chance to commit the same mistakes. Being betrayed and hurt by the person you love and trust is devastating. Mina and I both felt it once and even one time is painful enough, so how could you? How much longer are you going to endure it?"

 

Sana nods her head slowly, "I'm willing to wait"

 

"He's taking you for granted"

 

"He will see my worth someday."


 

Momo shakes her head, "You are the dumbest out of all of us" She turns around, disappointed and angry at her sister. She climbs the stairs to the second floor but eventually stops midway. She sighs and glances at Sana, "What are you doing? I thought we are going to watch a movie"

 

Sana chuckles and hurriedly walks to Momo. She links their arms and grins, feeling relief, "You not mad at me?"

 

Momo ignores her and pulls away causing Sana to pout. She instead slides her arms around Sana's waist and holds her closer, supporting her to walk and prevent her from stumble over nothing. Sana laughs at the sweet unexpected move,

Please log in to read the full chapter