[ ♡ ] Chapter XVIII.

Feigned Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Try again tomorrow, Baekhyun.”

 

It was like a circular repeat for Baekhyun. Each day, he’d hear those words. But she’d open up to him little by little. Since the Christmas festivities, they welcomed in the New Year, and still – they (Dongmin and their friends) would hear those four words. So, yes, Baekhyun would try again and again… and again. And each day, she’d give in just a percentage. Day by day, she’d open up to him because he’d do everything in his power to get her to trust him – rather if it’s little gifts to little gestures – Nami would open up to him. Once in a while, she’d give him the time of her day. Running two countries – perhaps three, if she counted Baekhyun’s – she barely had time to spare anyway. After spending New Years and Christmas, everyone was once again gathered back at the Kang Castle. Nami’s parents were quite joyous after finding out that their daughter and husband – or more like their son-in-law – were trying to make things work. Dongmin sat in the background watching over their relationship. He wanted what was best for his beloved cousin because she deserved the best. Especially since she had so much on her plate since childhood. Nami had even asked that Dongmin oversaw things for her at the castle for her if she ever returned to Korea with Baekhyun. Of course, he’d agree to do it because he didn’t have much to do in Veralida if he was being honest. Plus, her parents were rather happy to have Prince Dongmin back in the castle. Now, before all of this – Dongmin was beyond angry of how Baekhyun treated his cousin, but overtime and Mina out of the picture, he was definitely willing to accept and forgive Baekhyun. Besides, the King of Korea is family now. Hard not to forgive if best intentions were attempted.

 

“We have a problem,” Dongmin announced as he entered the shared chambers of Baekhyun and Nami. Yes, shared chambers. It was all the Jewel Prince’s idea. In attempts to bring the King and Queen closer, as he’d put it. Of course, Nami didn’t object because she was going to have to share one with Baekhyun anyway – per marital wise – but sometimes, she’d sleep with a long pillow in between them or she’d ask that Baekhyun would sleep on the couch. Sometimes, he even slept on the floor. The King? On the floor? Well, yes, anything that will make his wife and Queen happy.

 

Baekhyun looked up from his morning tea, eyeing the Prince standing in front of their fireplace. Nami even looked up from her vanity, body turned slightly towards her cousin. “What problem?” She asked, pining her earring quickly as she stood from the vanity seat. Dongmin eyed his cousin, head tilting: “We need the both of you to grand room. Urgently.” Baekhyun and Nami had just gotten ready to start their day, they didn’t expect for Dongmin to knock profusely before entering with urgency. They shared their chambers in utter peace where Nami still had to get ready – accessories and all – while Baekhyun typically had his morning tea since his arrival to the Kang castle. “Well then, let’s go,” Baekhyun announced as he rose up from his seat. He offered his hand to Nami, who stared at it but eventually took it while Dongmin nodded. He was the first to leave the room while the King and Queen followed suit. “What’s the urgency, Min?” She questioned as they walked down the corridor. “It’s news of our cousin,” and that was all he said. Of course, there was a look of concern in Nami’s expression that only masked Baekhyun’s confused expression. Nothing else was said as they made way to the grand room where they were announced by the court announcer. Everyone bowed to the King and Queen as they made way to their appointed seats before everyone.

 

“What is urgent of this gathering?” Nami questioned as she sat up straight, arms resting at the arms of her chair. One of her advisors stepped forward, bowing to his majesties before speaking: “I bring news of your cousin, Queen of Belyra.” Nami looked up to Dongmin, who stared back to her with much concern as well. Her head then turned to her parents, who stared back at them. “Seulgi,” she called out rather than questioned. Her advisor nodded his head. “It appears the Queen is ill and dissipating at rapid speed.”

 

“What does it have to do with me?”

 

“Well, Your Grace… the Queen of Belyra does not have a successor or anyone to take over the throne.” Her advisor said while she turned to look at Baekhyun, who seemed to understand where this was going. Her father stepped forward as he takes the stand of where the advisor stood: “Per the law and line of blood – you, my darling, are the next in line for the throne.” Dongmin didn’t seem surprised because Nami was born before him, and he didn’t have any ill-will over his cousin. Though, he only worried how much pressure she’d be under if she was going to rule over four countries.

 

Nami blinked. Her eyes suddenly went wide, head turning to her father.

 

“Sorry?”

 

“You’re in line to be Belyra’s new Queen, darling.”

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

The emergency meeting had been adjourned as the King and Queen, family and friends retreated to their meeting room. After having announced that Nami was going to retain the throne of her ill cousin, she didn’t know what to think. Baekhyun – in his own ways – tried to soothe her anxiety. He even had her sit down as he would give her small massages to ease her worries even if her brain ran twenty thousand miles per second. Even now, he had his hands squeezing her shoulders softly. Her hand would occasionally rest on his wrist, just holding it.

 

“But there has to be someone else who can take the throne,” she argued. “because I do not want it.” Her father sighed, leaning back in his seat as his fingers tapped at the table. “Think of all the power you’ll have, darling.” Her father argued. But Nami looked back to him, shaking her head: “I already rule three countries, father. I’m – we – are already a threat to the world.” Baekhyun looked down to her, a small smile plastering his lips because she only wanted to rule her countries – but now, he sees that she’s finally accepting him. “Doesn’t Seulgi have a brother?” She asked and Dongmin nodded. “However, he’s the illegitimate son of her late-father which makes him unfit to rule over the country.” Nami turned her head to the Jewel Prince. “Then we have him legitimized.” She didn’t want to rule another country. She already had three, and the world already viewed her as the most powerful Queen to exist. Perhaps some even thought she was unworthy of her throne – unworthy of how she claimed the throne through her marriage to Baekhyun. Or how unworthy she was of the throne because she was born female and only child of her parents. “There’s no possible way to make that happen,” her father added, “we would have to go through a lot of trouble to make it possible for him to rule. By blood, you are next in line.”

 

“Again, I do not want it.”

 

“Honey,” her mother announced, grabbing her father’s attention, “Seulgi is still alive, still running – why don’t we worry about this when the time comes eventually.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

Despite having the news sprung upon her, Irene eased her mind in confiding in her to help plan her wedding to Junmyeon. At least now, she didn’t have to think about ruling after her cousin. If her cousin wanted her to take the throne for her, then Nami would because Seulgi did grow up with Dongmin and the brunette. She wasn’t close to the Jewel Prince and Queen, but they did grow up together as they were close of age; however, when Seulgi took the throne after her parents’ passing, no one was as exciting as they were when Nami took the throne. They grew up in different spotlights. Besides, Belyra was a small country compared to Astelin, Miralin and Korea. Now, if Seulgi named her as her successor – she didn’t really want to because then she’d be a target to other countries. Especially if they believed she was a threat – unless they’ve met her and her parents. Astelin and Miralin were typical

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter