CH : 6

AQUIVER

2 years ago


 

“This is a mess.”
 

Yeri is already feeling down when she received a call from Jungkook’s mother at the middle of the night. Everything is not good, at least she can see that.
 

“Yerimie, take a seat.”

 

Mrs. Jeon is grabbing her hands and told her to sit in a huge couch, next to a young girl who has been crying since she saw her. Jooyoung is standing next to her.

 

"Have you talked to your parents about this?"
 

"Not yet. But I'm certainly will if you and your family threatened me."

 

Well, this girl is another kind. Even though she’s crying, she still have courage to talk like that to Mrs. Jeon. Something that she’s not capable of doing, even after more than a year being Jungkook’s wife.

 

"I’ll give everything you wanted..”

 

“I want to have the kid, no matter what you said. I don’t want to kill anyone only to save you and your family’s image.”

 

Yeri can not follow all this conversation, until Jooyoung is holding the girl’s hand but she tossed it. She was going to ask what was going on to him, when Jungkook is storming in from the front door, looking so exhausted and tired. She thought he’ll come to her first and explain what is going on, but he didn’t.

 

The girl from earlier is running to him, and throwing herself to him, giving him a tight hug and bury her head on his shoulder. It was shocking for Yeri to witnessing this, because if Jungkook has someone who is close enough with him to do this it doesn’t make sense that she doesn’t know about her.

 

“Your wife is here.”

 

She lifted her face right away when Mrs. Jeon told her to get up, her eyes met with Jungkook’s who’s completely lost and there’s something that makes him and the girl finally back to their senses. The girl is even saying sorry to her, which is weird. She doesn’t even know her.

 

“Can I talk to you?” She talks to Jungkook while walking to his direction.

 

“I..”

 

“Just the two of us.”

 

She takes his shaking hand to the front yard, away from everyone.

 

“What the hell is going on?”

 

She talks to him near screaming while pushing Jungkook away when he’s trying to reach her hand.

 

“I’ll explain everything to you, but it will take me a long time, and we don’t have time for that, right now.”

 

She closes her eyes and bite her lips because everything is just so confusing to her.

 

“So that girl is pregnant, I know that much. Is it yours?”

 

“What? No!”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Kim Yeri!”

 

Jungkook looked very angry and not happy with their conversation. She’s quite scared because of it and now decide to squatting down while hugging her knees. This is such a mess, she really want to cry and run away from this family and all the problems they had.

 

“She is my friend from college who just got back from her study overseas. I don’t know how but Jooyoung and her…”
 

“Your brother knocked her up?”
 

It is hard to believe, but she can not lie that she feels really happy to hear this. She never thinking about Jungkook as someone who has a heart to betray her and she will definitely hate herself if she was proven to be wrong.

 

“Yeah..that jerk..”
 

“Then what am I doing here? It’s his problem, not mine.”

 

Yeri is childishly and selfishly throwing Jooyoung under the bus even though she is aware that she is part of the family now, and their problem is also her problem.

 

“My parents doesn’t want that to happen.”

 

“Well, then they should be able to control their son..”

 

“We are here because Chaerin wants her baby to be alive, or she will made everything public.”

 

Yeri is getting up and now push Jungkook away and hit him with her bare hands.
 

“And you kept things like this from me as a secret?”

 

“I was going to tell you, but my mom called you first and now we’re here.”

 

“What do they want from me?”

 

“We need to be inside to hear it.”

 

Jungkook is asking for her hand but Yeri ignore it. 


 

***


 

“Take the baby as yours when it was born and…”
 

This evil family, Yeri is totally lost it when Mrs. Jeon talk to her with an intimidated eyes. Crazy.

 

“We don’t want tainted our family’s name over this issue. Take the kid as yours, and we’ll run some tests after, I'll provide Chaerin a life overseas.”
 

“It is a human.”

 

Yeri knows why Mrs. Jeon asked her to talk without anyone presence, not even Jungkook is allowed to be with her while she's talking about this.

 

“I know. It’s a plan, Yeri-ya. We don’t know if it’s going to happen or not. We still have 9 months.”

 

“Mother..i...Jungkook oppa will say no. We're agree to not making our family bigger. Not right now”

 

“That’s why I brought you here. Change his mind. You’re great at that.”

 

“No, I don't want to. It’s not fair for Chaerin and Jooyoung..”
 

“Nothing is fair in this world. If any of this getting out to press. I don’t know what will happen to you and your family, Yerimmie.. They must have high expectations for you.”

 

Yeri doesn’t know why Mrs. Jeon is so good at manipulating her. The next thing she knows, she’s trying to talk it out with Jungkook, until he agrees with the suggestion. 

 

Chaerin will stay here for the time being and Jungkook asked Yeri to let him taking care of her. He said, she met Jooyoung through him, so that’s his responsibility to protect her from all the bad things about the Jeon family. The plan is progressing quickly for the next few weeks. 


 



 

Yeri thought at first that she will be fine with the plan, but turns out that Jungkook and Chaerin is more than just a “college friend”. No matter how hard they tried to hide it, she is aware that they shared lots of stories together. It is obvious because not only her who notice this, but all the Jeon’s family, including Jooyoung.

 

“Aren’t you going to the hospital again tonight?”

 

Jooyoung sounds really rude while asking that question to her who’s still waiting for Jungkook to come. Chaerin is upstairs changing her clothes for the hospital visit. Mrs. Jeon is the one who forced her to always go with her, and Jungkook is the one who forced himself to go with them.
 

“Yes, I am.”

 

Yeri knows Jooyoung in highschool, the rich, spoiled kid with a great chance to become successful. He is famous for being smart, cool, handsome, and nice. She never believed all of that back then, and fast forward to today, she knows that she wasn’t wrong.

 

“Why are you doing this? Are you stupid? “

 

“That question should be asked to you, Jooyoung-ssi.. Are you stupid? For making so much trouble..over one night stand with your brother’s best friend.”

 

“She is not his best friend. Are you not seeing things?”

 

She is actually, she’s not stupid. She knows exactly what Jooyoung means with that. But strangely, she doesn’t feel too bothered by it..so far. 

 

“I trust my husband.” 
 

That’s what she said but reality is she knows Jungkook is not stupid enough to leave her for some other girl when their one year of marriage was threated as some sort of strategic move in his business. He gained tons of positive impact from that and it’s all thanks to her performance.
 

“Bulls.”
 

“Why? Because i don’t get childishly jealous?”

 

“No, because you both act like you’re in love. You are pretending to be good, when in fact you are just using each other.”

 

The most surprising thing about hearing this is, Yeri should have gone mad or angry after listening to it, but in fact she's not. She is nervous, just like someone who just get caught from making a mistake.

 

“Yerimmie!”

 

Jooyoung is gone in seconds when Mrs. Jeon is taking Chaerin by the hands and calling for her name.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Jungkook-ssi called earlier and he said he will meet us there.”

 

Chaerin talk with her hair down. She doesn’t look good.
 

“I understand, let’s go Chaerin-ssi.”

 

She’s trying to ask for her hand but Chaerin is ignoring it. It's annoying, that Jungkook called her instead of Yeri and now she needs to deal with her mood.

 

“Are you feeling ok?”

 

Yeri is trying to be friendly with talking to her while driving, but the only response she receives is a simple nod.

 

“You need to tell the doctor honestly about what you feel.”

 

“Can you just drive and stop talking to me! You never experience this before so I don't need your advice.”

 

Yeri shut right away when Chaerin talk to her in a higher tone. She’s older than her and her life situation is really not good right now, and it’s her duty to understand her. No more conversation was made for the rest of the drive.

She park the car right away when she found Jungkook standing next to his car, looking so tired. She always told him to not coming for the hospital visit but here we are again..

 

He opened the car door for her and give her one quick kiss, before helping Chaerin out.

She does nothing when Jungkook and Chaerin walk side by side in front of her who's completely still bothered by what Jooyoung said back at home. She is not pretending, she really is in love with him, at least in a way that she get jealous seeing him talking to Chaerin and treating her good.

 

"She doesn't look too good."
 

Chaerin is already inside and Jungkook is talking to her carefully the seconds she was gone. Yeri doesn’t have a will to respond to him, and he noticed. Jungkook is linking his arms on her shoulder and takes her closer to him.

 

“What’s wrong?”
 

“Nothing. I just...i don’t know you and Chaerin...i don’t even know you have a best friend.”

 

She lifted her face to him, waiting for his answer even though she knows things like this is a little bit too trivial. Jungkook and Yeri went on a date once after they met 6 years ago. It was a fun and nice date for her who just turned 18 back then. She moved on with her life so does he. They lost contact until one year ago. Dating for 5 months, he asked to marry her so she did. There was never enough time for them to learn about their own social circle.
 

“ She doesn’t even attend our wedding, so I..didn’t say anything to you.”
 

Yeri can sense a little bit nerve on the way his talking.
 

“If you are her best friend. Why don’t you just let her do whatever she wanted, her ruining Jooyoung’s life and your family..”

 

“I was going to do that. But you are the one who said that this is the best thing I could do for her. You are the one who asked me to do this.”

 

She did. She completely did..

Their conversation was interrupted when the Jeon’s family doctor is out from the examination room .

 

“She need to spend a night here.” That’s what he said

 

“Why?”

 

“Her condition is totally not good.”

 

“Did she wanted to stay?”

 

Yeri knows that Chaerin is a really difficult person. Especially after what happened and all the things she needs to get through for the past few weeks.

 

“You guys really need to talk it out with her.”

 

“He will.”

 

Yeri push Jungkook’s back and force him to go inside the room, followed by the doctor.

 

***

 

“How are you feeling?”

 

Jungkook is reaching for Chaerin’s hand and she gave him a smile.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“No, it’s ok.”

 

“I was the one who leave you and threatened you to not showing your face in front of me again but suddenly we’re in this situation.”

 

“It’s a lie if I said I wasn’t disappointed in you. You were gone from my life and suddenly this.”

 

Chaerin is laughing at him weakly.

 

“I said I won’t see you anymore, if you proceed with your marriage back then. And..you made your choice.”

 

“It was not a bad choice at all.”

 

“I know. She is so much more decent than my imagination. Just like you, she is confused with her own agenda from marrying you.”

 

Doctor is coming back to them and tell Jungkook that Chaerin need rest and he should be back tomorrow morning. It’s hard for him to leave her because after so many weeks of silent, she finally have a will to talk to him like how they used to do before. He has so many things to ask her including why Jooyoung is part of her life right now.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Rest well.”

 

“I will.”

 

Jungkook is out from the room and Yeri is already waiting for him right in front of the door, looking worried and her face is pale.

 

“I don’t feel good.” She said that words really fast and he became worried.

 

“Are you sick?” He touch her face slowly but Yeri is avoiding it.

 

“No..i mean I don’t feel good that you are..” 

Yeri is stop talking while covering her face. She’s walking away from him and he stops her while holding her hands. Something is not right.

 

Jooyoung that bastard. Yeri is cursing him on her head, she doesn’t know why she cares so much about what he said when she is great at ignoring him before. Maybe because what he said was right and she feels like she needs to hide the truth or maybe because what he said is not true so she needs to defend herself in front of Jungkook. It’s making her crazy.

 

“What happened?”

 

Jungkook is giving her a hug and she doesn’t even know how to answer that question.

 

“Nothing.”

 

***


 

The next day,

It was a usual morning for Yeri when she received a call from the hospital. Noone tell her about what is going on, she was just told to come..

 

She reached the hospital in less than 15 minutes when everyone is already here. A doctor is coming to them and Yeri knows that this isn't good news, especially for Jungkook who’s suddenly walking away from everyone with a gloomy expression. She takes one of his secretary hands and ask what is going on?

 

“Miss Chaerin is losing her baby...and..doctor said it’ll be hard to also save her from critical condition.”

 

“What? How could that happen?”

 

“I don’t know, she was trying to call Mr. Jeon all day but..”

 

“Why did she called him..she is staying here..

 

“She ran away from the hospital last night..she doesn’t have her phone and the only number she remembers is Mr. Jeon’s.”
 

“That’s ridiculous.”

 

“No, it’s not. Did you remember how Mrs. Jeon always taking your phone away every time you have your lessons or training? She did the exact same thing to Miss Lee..”

 

Of course.

Yeri’s eyes is trying to find Jungkook and she decides to chase him when she finally find him.

 

“What is going on?”
 

“You killed her.”

 

Yeri is aware how hard is it for him, especially after what was going on. But still, shoving the blame to her is not the way to deal with this.

 

“Didn’t I say that I don't want it? You made me do it. I have no ability to take care of a person and yet you made me do it.”

 

It was painful to hear this, because more than anything she knows that he is right. 

 

“It’s easy to blame others for your own mistake.” 

 

She is trying to talk it out with him, but Jungkook seems becoming more angry.

 

“This is all your fault. You wanted the kid because it such an easy way to gain something without feeling burdened.”
 

Jungkook doesn’t mean to say all those words, but he can not act properly when he feels like the whole world is against him right now. He ruined someone's life when he’s the one who promised her a decent one.

 

“Don't say that."

 

"Leave me alone."

 

That's what he said when he's leaving her, Yeri thought that she will find a chance to talk with him when things get better, but nothing is getting better after that day. Chaerin passed away a few days later. The Jeon family is working so hard to coming up with excuses and dealing with her family. They also trying hard to hide the news and she was forced to act like nothing happened.

 

Yeri moved out from their apartment because things get too hard for her, in a sense of guilt. Jungkook doesn’t talk to her in weeks. And it's just makes everything worse.

 

He came to get her after a few days she moved out, but they don't really talk to each other like how they used to be. Something huge is changing in their relationship. They just don’t understand which party was responsible for that.


 



Present.
 

Yeri decided to leave Mrs. Jeon and running to the front door. It is hard to deal with, the whole thing.
 

"Kim Yeri, what are you doing here?"
 

Jungkook is literally in shock when he finds Yeri is out from his home, running and looking frightened. Is she here for him?

He makes her stop while holding her arms, her entire body is shaking and it does makes everyone around them started to pay attention. He can not help but panic, when Yeri is no longer conscious and collapsed right on his embrace. 
 

"Takes her to my room" 

 

He's giving order to few people but also manage to catch a glimpse of his mother who watched everything from the living room. She must be the reason why Yeri is being like this right now.

 

Yeri used to stay at this house 3 years ago, right before their wedding, he doesn't know what she was doing in here but she told him that she was trained to become a princess

 

"She is fine."

 

A doctor he was called earlier is finally out from the room and told him about Yeri's condition.

 

"My wife has a weak stomach and…"

 

"She is fine, i checked everything, and you don't need to worry."
 

It's a little bit selfish of him, but beside of getting worried about Yeri's condition. He's also worried about tonight's party. He needs her to be with him, no matter what.
 

He takes a seat on the bed next to Yeri after the doctor left, watching her and wondering what went wrong from her since last night.
 

"How is she?" 

It's his mom
 

"She is fine."

 

"Can she attend the party?"
 

"I don't know."

 

"You're blaming me."

 

"Can't i?"

 

"I like your wife. Why would i hurt her?"

 

She left after she realized that Yeri is getting up from her sleep. He closes the door right away and Yeri doesn't looked fine at all. She's holding his head as soon as she's opening her eyes.

 

"How are you feeling?"

 

Yeri remember fainted in Jungkook's arms so she's not actually surprised to find him standing in front of her like this. He must be worried about the party and her job desk.

 

"I feel sick."

 

"Did my mom hurt you?"
 

She's not answering the question when she remembers what Mrs. Jeon said to her earlier. 

 

Jungkook is a changed person, he is no longer Jungkook who she met when she was 18, he's becoming a horrible person and Mrs. Jeon said it was because of her, manipulating and controlling him. Is that even makes sense?
 

"I need to get ready for the party."
 

She's avoiding his eyes and trying to get up, Jungkook is quick on helping her, he holds her shoulder and arms right away. It's been such a long time for Yeri to actually interact with him closely without any other people's presence.
 

"I'll drive you, or we can just go back home and I'll ask someone to bring your stuff over."

 

"You heard what I said on the phone last night."

 

Yeri pulls herself from him while staring at the floor and Jungkook looked quite surprised by it.

 

"I don't want to run away from you, I want you to let me go."

 

"You finally said it..after two years, when you can just said it anytime"

 

Jungkook is talking to her with a little smile, he's taking off his coat and sit on a sofa at the corner of the room. She watched him closely and different from before, he doesn't look too mad when she brings this topic to their conversation.
 

"What do you mean?"
 

He's back staring at her when she asked him to elaborate with what he just said.
 

"We both were not happy. Just like you said i can not let go of you because I promised your dad, i have my company on stake, my public stunt..but you don't have anything to lose for staying with me and helping me out...you could just go and stop caring about me without a word"
 

"I told you, it's all about money, my sister still needs you . But it’s over now."

 

"No, she's not. I know you're more capable to make your own fortune using networking you made as my wife, money is never your problem, you're just using it as an excuse for what you did to me..since the very beginning we met until today."
 

The conversation is becoming too intense and Yeri feels like she's being cornered.

 

" I chased you for your money, 5 years ago and I stayed for that today too."

 

"Kim Yeri, no matter how hard we despise each other, what happened between us is not something we can't ignore, there is something that is enough to make you stay with me for 2 whole years."
 

"Well, a gold digger..could fall in love too. I loved you but that's not changing the fact that i also love your money."

 

Jungkook decide to ignore her when he realized that he doesn't like this interaction. It's kind of hurt and embarrassing.
 

"Don't blame me."
 

Yeri thinks that defending herself is necessary, judging from how Jungkook looked so annoyed.

 

"I don't."

 

And his short answer is making her feel worse. She doesn't even know why, She feels so defeated when Jungkook is being indifferent about this and walking away from her so she stopped him while holding his hands.

The way he act is not fair.

 

"I don't blame you. I knew what I went to when I decided to take you in as my wife."

 

Jungkook is becoming more annoyed when Yeri is not letting him go. It feels like she still has so many bull to say and he doesn't want to hear any of it.

 

"I just want you to know one thing."

 

She's continue talking, and he can feel her grip on his hand is getting tighter, colder.

 

"The only reason that i was tired of you is not about what was going on in the past. It’s all about what happened to us after that.”

 

Yeri is letting go of his hand and turn her back without let him responding to such a grand statement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




 

Yeri still feels dizzy when she was dolled up at the hair salon, being dressed up and make up. It's just a few hours before the party, Jieun will pick her up when she's ready. 
 

If she actually had a choice Yeri will prefer to stay at home, not just her body is not in good condition but the thing with Jungkook and his mom from this morning is also a problem.

She doesn't know how to act with them being around.

 

"You don't look good, Mrs. Jeon."
 

"Really? can people notice?"

 

"We'll work on your makeup for that, but it is true that you looked so pale right now."

 

"I don't usually get sick. "

 

"Why?"

 

"I think my body knows no one will take care of my disease."

 

"Don't be like that, you have a husband."

 

Right, the reality. She does have a husband.

 

"He is busy."

 

"Ah, right."

 

Yeri finished after three hours, hair, make up, dress, shoes, everything looks perfect even on her eyes. Pretty, young, rich, a wife of someone, no matter how many times she sees it, her life looked so perfect.

 

She's waiting for Jieun, while she was helped by few of salon staff when she spotted a familiar figure approaching her.

It is not Jieun.

 

"Oh? your husband is here?"

 

He really is. Jungkook is probably the least likely person she wanted to see after this morning. She's uncomfortable to stay with him after Mrs. Jeon's word and after Yeri talked about something she never talked to him before, and things becoming so weird.

 

"Are you ready?" 

 

That's what he said when their eyes met, everyone seems happy to actually see him because all this year, Jungkook only paid for her activities in this place without ever coming here in person.
 

"She is ready, Mr. Jeon."

 

Yeri can not help or run away when he takes her by the hands and help her walk while giving a bow to everyone. Perfect. It was an illusion he wanted to make.
 

"Where is Jieun?"

 

"I told her to stand by at the venue."
 

That's partially true, Jungkook is the more important figure than Jieun and he is actually the one who needs to stay at the venue, but what happened this morning, Yeri fainted, what he said to him, and everything else makes him unsettled about leaving her alone.

 

"I'm not comfortable to be with you when we arrived at the party." 

 

Yeri is serious with that, she really looked uncomfortable and also unhappy.

 

"I'm also not comfortable with what you said earlier this morning."

 

"I know, I just want to end things with you cleanly, without a lie or things to hide."

 

"Funny, you told me that 2 years later when you already has a plan for our divorce."
 

"Funny that you get to know about it just because i told you. It's obvious that I'm tired with us."

 

"Kim Yeri!"

 

"What? Are we going to ignore that you do nothing when i was having all this pressure and problems at the age of 24? When my friends were out there doing their first job, I had you blaming me for someone’s death, and when my father died, my husband is nowhere to be found.."

 

Shocked. That's the only thing he experienced right now. They never talked about this at all, for the past two years.. and suddenly she talked about this right now.
 

"I didn't get trained for that, your mother didn't taught me how to handle that."

 

He feels like his head is going to explode, so he decides to pull over and stop his car, taking off his seatbelt and turn his face to Yeri who still looked completely angry and also tired, stressed.

 

"You refused to see me, you were avoiding me. You didn't even give me a chance."
 

"I have my reasons."

 

"Reasons you won't tell me."

 

Yeri is becoming quiet immediately when he said that.

 

"Can we just go?"

 

"Don’t talk to me." 
 

Jungkook is totally angry, Understandable. She said so many things today and it will probably be hard to deal with for him. He has his hands on the wheel, holding it tights and looking so frustrated. Seems like the party is no longer his priority.

 

"I have no purpose by talking to you about the past. We both know what's going on in our marriage is already beyond that, there's nothing left to fix and we both tired already. So let's just go to the party, do our job, and take care of our divorce, you promised me."
 

"Only if you're doing your work perfectly."

 

He said that without emotions at all before starting the car again. They don't talk to each other for the rest of their trip.