CH : 9

AQUIVER

Yeri lost all her will to continuing the conversation and decide to shut completely until they reached the usual hospital Jungkook visited for annual medical checkup. And it looked like what she said is affecting him really bad too, because he doesn’t say anything or trying to fight her anymore.

 

"dr. Park is not on schedule on Monday. Let's just straight up go to the ER."
 

She is a wife and of course things like this is already something she doesn't need to learn anymore. She still remembers everything. She even remember his doctor's schedule.
 

"You're already doing it as you wish, anyway."

 

That's right, without waiting or hearing Jungkook's opinion she already drive her car to the ER at the left wing of the building. He doesn't looked fine at all and a quick decision is needed to be made. She getting down from the car and asking help from a nurse to take Jungkook out. Since this is an ER, the paramedic is working quite fast, in less than 10 minutes Jungkook is already receiving a check up from the doctor.


***

"What happened?"

One of the nurses is talking to her, and Yeri honestly having a hard time to explain things.

 

"Someone beat him up." But she thinks being honest is a good choice.
 

"When?"

 

"Last night."

 

"And you are..?"

 

"His wife."

 

The nurse is totally not believing her, well..she's not even worried or freak out when her husband is injured, not to mention she's still wearing her dress from last night and basically looking like a homeless person.

 

"Do you have any other contact?"
 

Yeri shakes her head, because Jungkook has nobody but her. As if any member of the Jeon's family will care for him after what happened.

 

"No, it's only me."
 

Jungkook is watching and listening to everything, of course, Yeri is already doing a lot for him for the past few days, just like what she promised him 3 years ago. She never failed him if it's about taking care of his life.

 

"There's a small fracture on your shoulder."
 

He watched Yeri is being escorted outside, when a doctor telling him about his injury. He doesn't remember the rest but he knows that his body is in a complete wreck.


 

***


 

Jungkook is done with a full examination after two hours. Yeri has his phone, so he's really anxious about what's going on right now.

 

"This is the only thing i could find"


 

It's almost noon, when Yeri is entering his ward room with a huge backpack. She's already changing her clothes and looking so much better than this morning.


 

"I talked to your doctor, they will let you out tomorrow. This is your only clothes I could find in my parent's home.."


 

"Are you sure about being happy if you divorce me?"

 

Yeri is in the middle of taking out a few shirts from that bag while Jungkook is watching her and suddenly ask her a random question.

 

"I think there's plenty of places for me to become happier than when I was your wife."

 

She let out a sigh and walking to Jungkook while giving him his phone.

 

"..staying with a man I don't even know anymore is giving me a hard time to breathe. I was just so tired with you and our marriage.."
 

"You made me like this."
 

Jungkook is cutting of her words while smiling at her sarcastically, he doesn't look too delighted with this conversation.

 

"Do you remember the thing you said to me when your father died?"

 

"I don't want to talk about it."
 

"...Just keep doing things for you only, let's see how far you can go..i don't need you to be with me, you useless human being..."
 

Yeri is holding her bag really tight. She still remembers that day, she was being overboard to him but the situation was hard for her.

 

"You said that to me."
 

"Did i?"

 

She's trying so hard to act natural by talking casually to him with a smile, but in fact she feels scared.

 

"All the things I did after that. It was me showing you how far can I go..."

 

"You are a husband. Even though I threatened you to stay away from me, does that even make sense for you to actually leave me? Ignore me, treating me like I'm just a trophy for you to show off in front of your colleagues."

 

"You are talking like i didn't try."
 

Jungkook knows that he said a right thing when Yeri's eyes becoming wary and she is completely avoiding his gaze. If they decide to end this marriage for good, then it will end after every single things solved, including this one.

 

" You selfishly blame me for losing your dad and didn't give me a chance to appeal or explain..”

 

“You also blame me for your friend’s death.”

 

“And I regretted it..didn't I spent hours in front of your house, waiting for you to see me? Didn't I say sorry to you a thousand times and beg for your forgiveness? you didn't even give me a chance to love you at those times.."


 

Yeri is trying so hard to not crying, she is aware that this is the core of her problem with Jungkook but talking about this after 2 years is still hurt.

 

"I didn't want it. Your love, I don't think I ever wanted it.."

 

Jungkook's expression turns sour, he already stopped staring at her, and getting down from his bed while smiling and there's something about the way he smiles.  

 

"We both know, it's not true."

 

That's what he said while walking closer to her, he's walking very slowly because of his condition. In reflect Yeri is getting up from her seat, ready to run away or throwing another insults for him. His shoulder is completely wrapped in a bandage, and there's a few scratches on his face.

 

"What are you doing?"
 

She talks to him near screaming when he takes her to his embrace and holding her waist really tight.

 

Jungkook is not answering her but he keeps taking her closer to him until she could hear his breath and she can feel his heart beating. Logically speaking, he is a patient and Yeri is having so much power than him, she can overthrow him anytime, but the reality is not like that. She is weak, always weak when she was treated like this by him. His touch, his eyes, his smile, there was a time when she wanted to own everything. Jungkook, as a whole. 

She can feel her hands trembling, just like when she first realized that she has something for Jungkook other than a simple greed to have a young, rich, handsome man as a boyfriend. 
 

"You can't do this. After what you did to me.."
 

"Is that the only defence you have?"
 

Yeri is totally lost, when Jungkook manage to put both of her hands on his injured shoulder, leaving her with no barricade.

She stared at his eyes which only a distance away from hers. She remembers those eyes, no matter how much she's trying to deny it, she still remembers what effect could she gain from that.
 

"What did I do wrong to you, exactly?"

 

He talks to her while giving her a hug, she can not avoid it and she doesn't want to use violence to an injured person either, so she let him buried his head on her neck.

 

"It's an ironic question, don't you think? I could make a list with my eyes closed to answer you. And let's be real, what you're doing right now is totally not appropriate."

 

She's trying so hard to not shaking her words. This thing feels new and odd for her.

 

"You are my wife. People won't bother if they see us like this."

 

"Wife whose wish is to divorce you."

 

She manages to pull herself away from him after that, he still has his arms on her body but the hug is not happening now.
 

"Then I better use the remaining time wisely."


 

The first 5 seconds Jungkook went for a kiss, Yeri is so full with disgust and frustration, she's trying to free herself from him but it seems like her body remembers Jungkook better than her brain. It takes him less than 10 seconds to actually own her with that kiss. They're not a young couple who's still learning about each other. She already did everything with Jungkook and given how messed up their marriage is right now, this kind of interaction shouldn't take a toll on her in any way.

But the reality is not like that 

The kiss was different from any other night when Yeri let Jungkook to use her as a trophy he could touch and kiss in front of his colleagues. She has her hands on his damned shoulder, rubbing it slowly and forcing him to forget about all his pain with the way she touched him.

It really takes him by surprise when she is becoming the one who's behaving inappropriate, kissing him while grabbing his hair and yet she said she never loved him.

What she is doing right now is the total opposite from that.

It takes her quite long before she finally stopped and stared at him with the most beautiful and seducing eyes he ever saw from her since forever,  which is totally change the game for him and making him totally dumbfounded.

 

"You.."
 

Her expression is changing right away before he can finish his words and out from his confusion, it's becoming dark, serious and there's no smile on her face when she turns her back from him.

 

"I never said this part of our marriage was bad.. stop playing a game with me and give me what I want."

 

That's what she said while walking away and judging from how cold she is, Jungkook starting to believe what she said, maybe it is true that she never actually loved him.


 



 

Jieun is walking with a heavy head and two cups of coffee, she doesn't know what to say to Jungkook if he asked about the situation at the company.

She stopped from her walk, when she finds Yeri is standing in a corner, staring down at the floor and looking so gloomy. Well, after what happened, it's quite understandable that she gets stressed too.

 

"Yeri-ssi.." 

 

She finally calling her name when Yeri is close enough. She looked so surprised to see her coming, she's trying to hide her face from her and looked like she was crying before this.
 

"Oh, You're here."

 

"Are you ok?"
 

"Yeah..yeah..it's just.."

 

"I understand. You must be tired and stressed over this."
 

Yeri is not answering her but giving her a smile instead, something is odd from her face.

 

"What were you doing before this?"

 

"Nothing..why?"

 

"I thought you were sleeping and..your makeup is a mess, your shirt too."

 

She's pointing her hand to her lips and her shirts which is clearly crumpled. She looked dumbfounded and hide her face with her hair right away.

 

"Ah..really?"

 

"I'm going to see Mr. Jeon, is that ok? I brought you coffee. My husband will pick me up half an hour later."

 

"Sure. Do you want something? I was going to buy food for dinner."

 

"No, it's ok."

 

She's waving her hands to Yeri as she's walking away from her really fast. Yeri is not younger or older than her but she looked so much more matured. Maybe because she's been a married woman longer than she is. There's always something intimidating from her.

***

Jieun is knocking Jungkook's ward room twice before opening the door and find her boss, standing in front of the window.

 

"Mr. Jeon.." He turns to her quick, and she can't help but laugh when she sees him.
 

"Ah..so that's what she was doing."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

She shakes her head and give Jungkook a tissue paper from her bag. She is always so jealous over Yeri and Jungkook's relationship. They seems depending on each other so much and always looked like a perfect couple.

In every situation, even at a time like this, they still spare some moments to be close and intimate. It was such a great sight, she's amazed.


 

"There's something on your face."

 

He takes the tissue and finally realized what she's talking about. She thought Jungkook will get embarrassed just like his wife, but he actually look mad, he used the tissue and throwing it to a trash can harshly. Maybe she shouldn't have mentioned it, he must be really uncomfortable.
 

"How is it going?"
 

Jungkook doesn't really want to hear bad news after Yeri is completely ruining his mood earlier, but he needs to know about it so he can plan his move against his family. Jieun seems surprised with how rude he was with that question.
 

"You won't be happy hearing any of that." 

 

She said that while taking a few documents from her bag.

 

"Your family basically cutting you off from the company. You can't move any of your assets too. Conclusion, you are broke, Mr. Jeon."

 

Well, he was kicked out from his own apartment. This is not actually surprising.

 

"I manage to save your laptop and all your hard disk, but i can't do anything with your computer.."

 

"It's ok, i never save any important file in there."

 

It's probably weird but Jungkook aware that sooner or later something will definitely happens to him. And he already take an early countermeasure.

 

Jieun is turning her face away from him to the door when someone is opening it. Yeri is here with two cups of instant noodles on her hands, she's smiling to Jieun, and he really hates himself for still thinking that Yeri is care for him.

 

"We're talking about work, can you stay outside?"

 

Jieun is totally surprised when not only rude but Jungkook is asking Yeri out with so much hatred on his voice, seems like it's not only her who suffered from his moody self.

 

"No, it's ok. I'll be out in a minute, my husband is already here."

 

Jieun thinks that Yeri will get uncomfortable being nagged by her husband in front of people, so she better be gone now.
 

"You should hear what Jieun said about me from earlier."
 

But Jungkook is weird, in a split second, he's walking to Yeri and dragging her hand closer to her.

 

"Ah..I'm really sorry, Mrs. Kim but both of you can not use any facility provided by company or Jeon's family, that include your home, car, your credit card.."

 

"Just tell her the simple one."

 

"Mr. Jeon has nothing right now..."

 

"Completely broke."

 

Jieun find it's weird that instead of being panic or sad, Jungkook is proud about this and showing it off to Yeri in such a weird way. He even finished her sentence.

Yeri seems awkward and give her an empty smile. Things are so weird.


 

***


 

"There you have the news, being a gold digger won't work anymore."
 

Yeri is totally not amused by Jungkook and what he is doing right now. He looked so crazy.

 

"I already stopped being one, and the only thing I want is a divorce now. I don't need your money."
 

"I can't afford a lawyer to do that. For me, divorce you is a luxury, Yeri-ssi."
 

She is aware that Jungkook gone mad over something she did earlier. But that's the only thing she can do to make her life easier, she can not just admit that her heart still fluttering when he kissed her, she can not just said that she probably still care for him, Being worried over his injuries and feeling bad that he was trashed by his family. 

It's not fair for both of them, the two years of pain they receive from each other can not be ignored just like that. So right now, the only thing left for her is to treat him bad in a normal way.
 

"Then what are you going to do? taking me as your helper? Do i need to work to feed you just because i'm your wife?"

 

Jungkook is being serious when he dragged a chair for him to sit close in front of her.

 

"My family won't leave you alone. I'm your best choice as a shield from them."

 

"..well...they can't do anything if I told them that we're no longer..."

 

"Are you stupid? my family care about their fake image, so much. Do you think, me losing a wife will make them happy?"
 

"Are you threatening me?"

 

"If you feel threatened, then yes."

 

She pushed Jungkook's chair so there's more distance between them, she still reminded to what they did earlier and it is really bothering.

 

"What do you want from me?"

 

"Money will help."

 

"How much?"

 

"I need a lot."

 

"Be specific."

 

"I need a car, a place to stay.."

 

Yeri is laughing at him, for how ridiculous Jungkook's demand is.

She's basically living her life with Jungkook and his money for the past three years as his wife. Of course, she has some savings but it will never be enough to fulfill his glamorous lifestyle. Not to mention that she spent a lot on her family's coffee shop.
 

"I can't afford it. Your food, clothes,  injury treatment, I'll pay for it, but the rest.."
 

"Listen.."
 

"Take it or leave it, you can move around with bus or subway, I'll pay for your fare."

 

"At least, provide me a hotel to stay."

 

"Really?"

 

"Then where should I live? It's your choice, give me a place to stay or I'll stay with you.”

 

Yeri is getting up from her seat while her brain is doing some simple math. She can't afford a hotel room for Jungkook because he definitely won't stay in a cheap room. Not to mention that she doesn't know how long this will go on.

Taking him to her house is a so much better option, money-wise.

 

"You can live with me."
 

So she finally decided, Jungkook looked totally surprised and taken aback. Well, of course.

 

"My mother and my sister are aware about how bad our relationship is, so we don't need to pretend in front of them. It'll be easier."

 

Jungkook is never expecting this, Yeri never let him go to her house anymore since her father died. She won't even let him pass the entrance of her coffee shop.  

 

“It’s settled then.”

 

Yeri knows that Jungkook must be taken aback over her decision. So it is better for her to end the conversation right away. She’s glancing at Jungkook and decide to leave him who still not saying anything.

 

 

 




 

Jungkook is not excited about getting discharged, knowing that he needs to stay with Yeri and her family for the time being. Not to mention that his relationship with her is becoming worse everytime they’re trying to talk about their problems from the past.
 

“Good morning, Mr. Jeon.”

 

It’s quite surprising when the one who showed up for him is Jieun.
 

“Your wife couldn’t make it today, so I'll be the one who dropped you off.”

 

“Why?”

 

“She doesn’t say anything. Didn’t she called you?”

 

Well, no..it is obvious to him that Yeri is not happy with whatever happened last night.


 

***

 

Yeri is purposefully not saying anything to both her mother and sister about Jungkook who will be staying for the time being. It's exhausting to answer their questions about it, and it's even more annoying because she knows they will make some sort of welcoming party for him and treated him like a prince.

Her father is the only one who still has conscience to treat Jungkook normally even though he already did so much from this family. His money win it all, but not her dad.

She also sent Jieun to get him because not gonna lie, it's hard for her to face him after last night.

There's something so wrong about what they did and how she reacts to it. She feels guilty to herself for that and she doesn't even know why.

 

"Unnie..you need to take care of the store well, there's an event in the nearby park, and people will definitely come here to buy a drink."
 

Yein is busy with her wedding preparations for the past few weeks, she's been in and out of the store and leave all the jobs to Yeri.

 

"Also why do you need my room?"

 

"You'll find out later."

 

Yeri ask Yein to prepare her old room for Jungkook, she usually spent the nights in her newly wed apartment so it's mostly empty all the time. Jungkook can use that. There's no way she will share space with him in these circumstances.

 

"Alright, i'll go.. be careful."

 

She waves her hand to Yein as she get into a taxi. Few minutes later a familiar car is parked in the front yard. Jieun and Jungkook is out from it.

 

"Mrs. Jeon..he's here."

 

"I can see."

 

Jieun is definitely expecting Yeri to help Jungkook walk or welcoming him with a warm hug, kiss, or anything but she's not doing any of that. The only thing she's doing is waiting for him to reach the counter with a dark expression.

Something is not right, or maybe they're just tired and stressed given to how the situation of their life right now.
 

"The doctor said, he'll get better in a few days."
 

She's glancing to Jungkook who is standing near a high chair while looking really uncomfortable. She wanted to ask what is wrong, but the atmosphere is weird and she wanted to get out quickly.

 

"I'll get going then, Mr. Jeon."
 

"Report to me about what is going on at the company. Don't ever miss a thing."

 

"Sure. I will."

 

She's bowing his head to the couple and takes her car keys while walking out with so many questions on her head. What is going on? Yeri did not even talk to her at all.


***

"The store is open in 30 minutes, I need to do some preparation. You can use Yein's room and all the stuff in there.."

 

"Can i just stay somewhere else?"

 

Yeri is changing her focus from a pile of cups she prepared to Jungkook who's looking down while holding his shoulder from moving too much.

 

"Where?"

 

That's a question with heavy sarcasm. Jungkook knows that his request is odd, every single secret place he owned, cottage, apartment, all under the control of his family. So obviously, he's been banned to enter those places.
 

Failed to receive an answer, Yeri is back with what she's doing and letting out a sigh.

 

"That's why I told you to look for a friend.."

 

"I can't afford another one after what happened, can i?"

 

Yeri is totally surprised that he talked about this. She thought, she's the only one who is not done with their past but seems like Jungkook is also like that.

 

"You could stay in your room, if you're not going to help."

 

She knows that her voice came out shaking and thin. Jungkook notice it too because he's staring at her straight into her eyes.

 

"We should talk about that before I granted your wish to divorce."

 

Yeri is stopping what she is doing and Jungkook can see a little smile coming from her.

 

"Aren't you afraid that you'll be disappointed if we ever talked about our past?"
 

"I already disappointed in you for years. I don't think it could get worse than right now."
 

Yeri feels really hurt and embarrassed hearing what Jungkook said to her. It's the first time she heard Jungkook calling her out for what she did. It's usually her who does that to him.

 

"If you want your own life, then it'll just fair if i take my life back from you too. You're not in this hell alone."
 

She is doing nothing when Jungkook is walking out from her sight with a heavy steps after saying that. She doesn't stop him.


 




 

at one time...
 

"Unnie..you're being unreasonable right now." Yein is already standing in front of her room, knocking on its door for almost half an hour.

She finally opens the door harshly.

 

"Didn't I told you to make him leave? If you care about him so much..then tell him to come inside and you take care of him."

 

"He is your husband. Even if he is not, what you did to him is too far beyond common sense. He said he wanted to see you, give him a chance"

 

Yeri doesn't know why but everything what happened to Jungkook and what he said to her is scaring her. He is beyond mad and completely blaming her for Chaerin's death. She can not deal with it. She has her own guilts and Jungkook is only making things worse.
 

"He's been standing out there for almost 4 hours."
 

Yeri close the door and back to sit at her desk while watching Jungkook through her window.

Not long after, she can see her dad is out with a huge jacket and talk to Jungkook while giving him a hug. She knows he's crying after listening to her dad's words..but not long after, he's gone.

He's back to his car and driving away.

 

"I'm sorry.."

 

Those words came out almost like a whisper. Deep down inside her heart Yeri is aware that the only reason she's avoiding him is because she feels burdened to deal with Jungkook and his crazy family.

She is scared that she'll get dragged into their loop of chaos. She is afraid that Jeon's family is changing her into some kind of monster, what happened to Chaerin is also part of her mistakes, she's not supposed to agree with Mrs. Jeon's crazy idea and even force Jungkook to do everything she wanted.

 If she didn't do that, Chaerin will probably still here and not dead. She was precious to him, and she made him lost her.


 




 

"Excuse me, are you open?"
 

Yeri is losing her focus when two young girls is entering the store carefully. She's glancing to the clock, it's been 30 minutes since Jungkook gone and she's doing nothing, not even doing some preparation.
 

"Ah..Yes..welcome."
 

She takes Jungkook's bag and put it behind the counter while welcoming the two guests. She take their order and not gonna lie, she feels anxious when she realized that Jungkook has been gone for more than 30 minutes.

He's not exactly in a good condition and he has problems with his evil family, something bad could happen to him.

 

Yeri said goodbye to her customer from earlier and decide to look for Jungkook. She closed the store and lock it in a speed lights.


 

***


Jungkook never thought that he'll be doing this again. Getting upset by Yeri and her behaviour, running away while getting mad and ignoring her. He already learn how to not do that again, and for the past 2 years he already stopped caring about Yeri and what she's doing, he doesn't care if she hates or loves it.

 But right now...everything feels like the old times again.
Both of them involved in a heavy argument and he decides to take a time out from her.

 

He stopped in a huge crowd, not far from Yeri's coffee shop. There is an event happening and the place is so cheerful..he flinched when people walk close to him and bump his wounded shoulder. He stand at the farthest side of the stage when he saw the MC is taking the mic and ready to start whatever event is being held in here.

 

"We have an announcement first..to Mr. Jeon Jungkook-ssi, once again Mr. Jeon Jungkook-ssi.."


 

The MC is calling his name while reading a note from a piece of paper. He's completely shocked and taken aback, he does nothing but standing while being confused.

 

"Your wife is looking for you at the information center. Please see her immediately."


The announcement was short, and no one actually paying attention to it except him who's totally dumbfounded and embarrassed. Yeri and her antics is always annoying. 

He's walking toward the information center and he sees Yeri is standing there while staring at her phone. It takes her quick to finally aware of his existence, he was going to run away but she's running into him with a glare.

 

"Old habits are hard to die, right?"

 

Yeri is obviously mad, the way she talks to him is rude and she even dragged his hand to stay away from the crowd. She's nagging him.

 

"I was going to watch."

 

He totally feels guilty and embarrassed after being called out like that, Jungkook's voice sounds so thin.
 

"You know how much i hate it when you did this. I left the store to get you."

 

"What's with the sudden attention? Nobody forced you."

 

"I feel bad!"

 

It's really makes him surprised when Yeri is talking to him near screaming and cover her face, holding her tears. It's not a sad tears, she is upset. Obviously.

 

"It's hard for me if you started to talk about what we did in the past after..how much we tried to ignore it."
 

She talks quickly while walking passed by him and leaving him. 

 

Yeri who was mad is not exactly Jungkook’s favorite sight. She walks really fast and sometimes sweep her hair back to show how frustrated she is with the situation she needs to deal with.  She used to be so open to him, a little bit sensitive and loud when she gets mad..but after two years ago, she’s becoming more quiet and never talk to him about what she felt..and..he never asked either.

***

 

“Are you starting now?”
 

Yeri lift her face when there are four people standing in front of the store, regular customers she’s familiar with.

 

“Ah..yes..”
 

She’s trying to open the door and the lock but things is getting hard, and suddenly a pair of hands is helping her. She knows it’s Jungkook’s.

 

“I’ll help.” That’s what he said when the door is finally open and people start getting in.

 

“You’re injured.”

 

“I can stay to take order and act as a cashier, without moving around.”

 

He takes a stand at the counter really fast while welcoming one of the guests and takes her order. He used to do this back then when he feels bored, Yeri’s father let him do this because he said Jungkook probably doesn’t have a chance to interact with people that much and he wants to give him one.

 

“Your new part-timer is really handsome. It must be hard to recruit him.”
 

She’s usually having conversation with the guest, but when Jungkook suddenly becomes the topic. She decided to ignore it.

 

She’s trying to be busy while preparing all the drinks and food order but she can not help to watch Jungkook from the side doing his best to help her. It does reminds her to the good old times when nothing is complicated on their relationship, the good times when she’s sure that she will spend the rest of her life with him.

 

“Hey.. I need to answer a call from Jieun, can you take over for a second?”

 

Her thoughts were interrupted by Jungkook who suddenly tugging her shirt and grab her hands to stand next to him while holding his phone. He’s not waiting for her answer but leave his station while taking the call right away. Without she realized the only thing she’s doing is watching him from afar through the glass window, guessing what is going on and what is the topic of his call with Jieun, judging from his expression, looked like something is not right. He looked so angry and confused.
 

“Something wrong?”

 

Yeri is trying to act calm while asking the question when he’s back, because she doesn’t want Jungkook to think that she actually cares about his problem.

 

“No.”
 

He doesn’t want to talk about it. Yeri remembers how hard she will pestered him if she knows that Jungkook is hiding something from her, especially problems with his family or problem at work..but right now she feels like she has no right to do that again, so  her choice is to taking his answer as it is.