CH : 12

AQUIVER

 

Unnie!”

 

Yeri wakes up with a scream from Yein who’s finally coming back home. It’s still early.

 

“Good morning.”

 

“I arrived at dawn last night, you were sleeping so I didn’t wake you, and now..your mother-in law is here again.”

 

“What?”

 

Yeri feels like her head is going to explode. Wasn’t it yesterday that she sent Jungkook off?

And now this..

 

“Can you tell her that i’m not here?”

 

“ I already told her that you’re coming down.”

 

She gets up quickly and wear her hoodie while searching for her phone. She called Jungkook right away. He’s not picking up.

 

“You scare me now.”

 

“Listen, I'll go there and find out about what she wants..you get ready to leave or call someone when I asked you to. And help me try to reach Jungkook.. keep calling him until he picked up. Tell him about what’s going on..”

 

“What’s wrong ?
 

“She is here to meet me at 5 am in the morning, Yein-ah..everything is wrong.”

 

Yeri is out from her room after washing her face. She’s totally scared but running away will be useless. If Mrs. Jeon want to find her, she will.

 

“Good morning.”

 

She greets her first when they finally see each other. Jooyoung is also here.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Come for a meeting at 9 this morning..it’s a formal meeting. Dress yourself properly”

 

She left after saying that. She’s ordering her around like usual and she doesn’t have an ability to fight back.
 

“Did she left?” Yein is coming to her while running.

 

“Jungkook?”

 

“Not picking up. I tried more than ten times.”

 

She’s giving back her phone, and Yeri is becoming really annoyed by the way Jungkook treat her. He is the one who said everything is gonna be ok, but when things like this happened, he is nowhere to be found, not her first time but still annoying.

 

“Typical.”

 

***

 

9AM. Yeri is escorting by few of Jooyoung’s staff when she arrived at the office. Seems like Mrs.Jeon already waiting for her and assigned these people to keep their eyes on her.

 

“What kind of meeting is this?”

 

“Mrs. Jeon want to see you first.”

 

Yeri is arrive at Mrs. Jeon’s office, Jooyoung is already there. Only the two of them.

 

“Sit.”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

She refused her offer and decide to stand near the door.

 

“I found this in Jungkook’s office.”

 

Mrs. Jeon pull a paper from her drawer and throw it to the table. She can clearly see it, and she knows this won’t be good.

 

“Han Jae In..he is your best friend, right?”

 

“It’s none of your business.”

 

“It is. Yerimmie, I won’t let your plan ruining mine.”

 

A divorce letter she sent to Jungkook last week through Jaein’s law firm is on the table right now. She can’t believe that Mrs. Jeon is finding this.

 

“Is this why you refused to work with me? Because you already had your own plan? Divorcing him and taking everything with you, just like how you intended to?”

 

“It’s none of…your business”

 

“It wasn’t, until two days ago.. Jooyoung is in the middle of taking over the company right now. I don’t want cheap news like your divorce is making a highlight and taking all the spotlights. I hate to admit, but we still need you, Yerimmie..everyone likes you.”

 

“What do you want from me?”

 

“Jooyoung and i can give you a position in the company, don’t bother with the divorce, you still need to work as Jungkook’s wife..until i said stop..”

 

Yeri knows exactly where the end of this conversation is. Jungkook is not exactly adored by people so does Jooyoung, at least he has her as a wife but Jooyoung has nothing. They have a plan to use her, for gaining people’s sympathy and support.

 

“And what is it for me? What do I gain from this?”

 

“Everything you wanted. Money, reputation, and your divorce..”

 

Mrs. Jeon and Jooyoung is totally dumbfounded when they find Yeri is smiling at them while shaking her head.

 

“You beat up my husband. You treated him like a trash for so many years..”

 

“So it’s a no?”

 

“No. And don’t worry about the divorce. I won’t do it before I take my husband back to his position.”

 

Yeri is out from the office right away. She knows that she made an abrupt choice, a stupid one on top of that. She was just so annoyed with the way they try to use her.

 

She walks really fast until she bumps into Jieun who looked so worried.

 

“What did they say?”

 

“I need Jungkook’s address.”

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“He live in your husband’s apartment, right?”

 

“What?”

 

“He’s not?”

 

Jieun looked extremely confused and Yeri is finally realized that Jungkook was telling her a lie about where he lives after he moved out last night.

 

“No, he is not.”

 

She reached for her phone again and continue to call Jungkook, she’s already doing it for so many times, since this morning.

 

“Yeri-ssi, what is going on?”

 

“Can you find him for me?

 

"I'll try. and please be careful.."

 

Yeri nod her head to Jieun and she knows what she means about being careful, she noticed that few people are following her step.

 

 




Jungkook is finally arrive after three hours trip on the bus This place is holding so many of his memories, with his mom and Yeri.

They came here for a short trip when they were dating. Only last two days because she gets scared over how close they are getting over a few weeks of relationship.

 

"Welcome. Can we help you?"

 

"I called and booked a room this morning."

 

He's looking around and this place doesn't really change much. A cheap, small cottage usually used by traveller and backpacker for their budget trip. 

 

"Name, sir?"

 

"Kim Yeri."

 

The staff looked confused when he talked, Yeri is a common name for a woman. So it is understandable.

 

"Ah..i booked it under my wife's name. sorry."

 

"I'll check it first."

 

He purposefully doing this because he doesn't know what his family capable of doing  tracking him or his name could be possible, he wanted to be safe.

 

"This is your key, 2nd floor "

 

He received the key and went by himself because he still familiar with this place.
He stopped in a closed bar, near the entrance.

 

Memories..it is hard to erase.

 


at one time...

"Where did you learn to play this good?"

 

Jungkook can't believe that Yeri is so good in playing a game of pool. He's been losing for a few rounds and it's kinda hurt his pride.

 

"I went with my friend after lecture once a week."

 

"So you're not studying but playing?"

 

"Once in a week."

 

She's back to her seat with a bottle of light cocktail, answering him with a smile. She looked so pretty, wearing a plain shirt and long pants, her hair is colored dark brown. So much more mature than Yeri who went on a movie date with him 3 years ago.

 

"That's why you refused to go on a date with me for three weekends in a row?"

 

"Not exactly."

 

"Then why?"

 

"I don't do dates these days. Not when I'm not in a serious.."

 

"I'm offended."

 

Yeri is quite surprise when Jungkook cut her words and being serious about it. She said it as a joke but he really take offence on this.

 

"I just wanted to have fun."

 

She's trying to explain herself but Jungkook doesn't buy it . He takes her bottle and drink all of it while staring at her with a smirk. Looked so handsome and a little bit too hard to resist, if she's being honest.

 

"I'm just your entertainment."

 

"You are my boyfriend."

 

She brings herself closer to him for a kiss, but stop immediately when she realized that people are looking at their direction.

 

"This is fun."

 

That's what he said when she pulled herself away from him. 

 

"No, it's not. I shouldn't have done that."

 

Jungkook can not help but find Yeri is so endearing when both of her cheeks are blushing and she tried to hide it with her long hair.

 

"One last round. Let's make a bet."

 

He said it quick while holding Yeri's hands and make her lift her face to him.

 

"What bet?"

 

"You need to stay with me for the rest of the weekend, if you lost."

 

She's laughing at him when he finished what he said. She's holding his cheeks and squeeze it while shaking her head slowly.

 

"Didn't you say that i'm good?"

 

"You are. But I am more determined to win, right now."

 

"Fine."

 

***

 

Yeri is completely loss at words when the game ended faster than the one before. She lost, defeated to dust and basically humiliated.

Jungkook is only making things worse when he's laughing at her and mocking her about her loss.

 

"I didn't do it on purpose "

 

No matter how, Yeri feels the need to defend herself from this.

 

"I didn't say anything."

 

Her eyes becoming wary and she kinda feels uncomfortable with how things turned out. The rest of the weekend means 3 nights and 4 days to spend with Jungkook only, miles away from home. 

 

"You should take a look at your expression right now. I bet you are wondering if i’m actually a criminal or not.."

 

"No, I'm not "

 

"Forget it, it was a joke. I'll take you home.. If we go now, we'll arrive before sunrise.."

 

He takes his car keys and his phone before wearing his jacket and leave the bar after paying. Yeri is following him from behind with so much thoughts on her head.

 

"I'll stay."

 

Jungkook is ignoring what she said and keeps walking until they reach the front door. He was going to enter the parking lot bit Yeri is tugging his jacket and makes him stop. Forcing him to turn his face to her.

 

"A bet is a bet..and I lost. I don't think you are a criminal either. I'll stay here."

 

"You don't have too."

 

"I want to. It's already embarrassing that you are treating me like this, if you said no again that means you rejected me twice and that's totally humiliating."

 

She is totally nervous waiting for his response, she already made a choice and she doesn't want to change her mind about it.

 

"Alright. I'll stay too. What are you going to do right now?"

 

"I don't know. You know this place, making plans should be your job, not mine."

 

Jungkook is smiling and takes her closer while linking both of his arms on her shoulder giving her a hug.

 

"I always have a plan for a situation like this. But not right now. You ruined it."

 

"Sorry."

 

"I'll just buy you dinner and let you eat everything you want at my favorite restaurant around here."

 

He let her go and the plan sounds good for her.

 

 


 

"That restaurant? It was run out of business last year."

 

Jungkook was told by one of the staff about his favorite restaurant. He only ever eat at that place when he came here. It's such a shame that it closed down now.

 

"Ah really?

 

"Oh, you're also asking for a phone charger, right? We'll take it to your room."

 

"There's no need. It's been dead since this morning anyway. I'll go get it after i'm back."

 

He said thank you and out from the hotel while taking a light walk. Looking for an alternative place to buy dinner. 

 


 

"Kim Yein, this is your job. You will wear my clothes, going out, to your fiance's apartment, stay there and don't come home until i told you so."

 

Yeri is taking few pair of her  clothes from the closet while keep watching her window. 

 

"Why are they being so obvious with following you?"

 

Yein is joining her and a black car which had been parked in front of their store since this morning is still there. 

 

"Because they're here not to catch me but to scare me?"

 

"Aren't they looking for your husband?"

 

"Maybe, but if i don't know who he is right now. They certainly won't know either."

 

Yein is changing her clothes quickly according to her wish while she's calling Jieun. She hopes Jieun knows about Jungkook position right now.

 

"Jieun-ssi?"

 

"Ah..Mrs. Jeon..i am sorry, i still can not find him."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

Jieun sounds so tired while telling her that.

 

"I spoke to my husband and he said Mr. Jeon never talked to him, let alone asking his help for a place. I already searched every place I know..maybe you.."

 

"If you can't find him, there is no way for me to.."

 

Yeri is hanging her words when she remembered that one place. Will he be there?

 

"Mrs. Jeon, maybe we missed one or two places."

 

"Jieun-ssi..i'll call you later."

 

"Alright, be careful seems like Mr. Jeon Jooyoung also looking for him and sending people to get him, but judging from how anxious he is. I'm sure your husband is still out there."

 

"Right. Thank you."

 

Yeri end the phone call when she find Yein is already done with her clothes. She totally looks like her. Wearing her caps, her shoes and everything.

 

"Remember what i say..don't come here until i told you so. I'll talk to mom too."

 

"Ok."

 

She send her until the end of the stairs, afraid if people sees her. Yein closed the store lock it and went outside when the taxi she called is arrived. And just like how she expected. The car is now gone. Chasing after Yein.

 

She packs few clothes, wearing a long coat, a mask and a caps before going out through the back door. She can't do this alone, not after she piss The Jeon family off with what she did this morning.

 

 


at one time...

 

"I used to come here when I was a kid."

 

Yeri is looking around and flipping the menu card. The restaurant is not really fancy or anything.

 

"I think the business is not going well for them. It's only us here."

 

"They used to be popular.."

 

Jungkook called the waitress for her and she just pick anything from the menu. 

 

"Just that?"

 

She only picked one small menu, usually served as an appetizer and Jungkook is questioning her choice.

 

"I'm not really hungry."

 

"Do you want to go somewhere else?"

 

"No. I don't really feels like eating."

 

He stopped arguing with her when she gives him a smile. The waitress is gone and now the atmosphere is becoming awkward between them. That bet was stupid and she shouldn't have done that. She barely know Jungkook.

 

Yeri is trying to act calm and busy while using her phone, scrolling her gallery and do whatever except paying attention to Jungkook. She knows that he is watching her very seriously while sometimes smiling.

Weird and embarrassing, it makes her uncomfortable, And the food also takes a long time to come, totally not helping.

 

Yeri stopped in one picture and finally she found something to talk about with him.

 

"Jeon Jooyoung is your brother?"

 

He looked surprised by the question, makes sense, because for the past three weeks they decided to see each other romantically, they never talked about their family or friends.

Yeri thinks it's not necessary while Jungkook is avoiding it.

 

"Do you know him?"

 

"Well, who doesn't..he is famous. In fact, your family is famous."

 

She's just found out about this, last week..a little bit surprised when few of her friends keeps talking about Jungkook and how lucky she is to actually dating him.

She knew he was rich, but she doesn't know that he's related to Jooyoung.

 

"I spent my time abroad mostly, so i don't really attached to my family's image.."

 

"It wasn't that good anyway. Their image."

 

Yeri is studying Jungkook's expression when she stupidly saying that in front of his face. It's the truth, but talking it like this is totally rude.

 

"You can not choose your family."

 

"I..know, i'm sorry. That was rude..it's..just..I was jealous of you, of kids like Jooyoung.."

 

She is stuttering her words because how taken aback she is. Jungkook is suddenly losing all his smiles after the talk about his family came out. It's making her nervous somehow.

 

"Your lifestyle..I'm jealous of that."

 

"There is nothing to be jealous of."

 

The food is finally here, she is stop staring at Jungkook and watching the food being served.

 

"Thank you."

 

He said that the waitress when they're done. There is a smile on his face but it's so far from genuine. Jungkook looked mad.

 

"My parents owned a coffee shop."

 

Jungkook was going to eat and forget about what Yeri said, but she suddenly change the topic of their conversation. A coffee shop sounds cool for him.

 

"That's the only thing they have."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Both of them don't have any fix job. They're running the coffee shop for a living."

 

"You said it like it's a bad thing."

 

"I said it for you to understand why I was jealous."

 

Jungkook stop answering her and begin his dinner. She's following what he is doing because she realized that the awkwardness is now replaced by unfriendly atmosphere.

 

One minute isn't bad but another one is making Yeri bothered. There is nothing wrong from what she said earlier.

 

"Your life is probably hard, but we don't see it. Jealous is the most natural reaction from people when they saw you."

 

And that sentence is enough to makes Jungkook stops ignoring her. Everything Yeri said to him is borderline rude and annoying. His life is hard, and now someone is here telling him that she wanted his life, like she knows everything.

 

"Jeon Jooyoung was having a birthday party back in school. He celebrates it in a five star hotel, getting all the presents and prizes he wanted. People talked about his party on all over platform, school blog, SNS, teachers congratulated him..i was 17.. and I thought his life was easy compared to mine. I got jealous."

 

He watched Yeri and honestly, if she talked about Jooyoung..he won't lie, he does get jealous too. His life is way too easy because of his mother. And he can already sees their future..Jooyoung was settled to taking over everything from him, his father's affection is the first one.

 

"It's a fact. And it's not only me who thinks like that."

 

"I know. I understand. You don't need to be.."

 

He give Yeri a smile but she keeps eating her food without sparing him a glance and even cut his words.

 

"I hates being judged. Especially when the judgement is totally wrong. I love my family..but being jealous of other people's life is not wrong."

 

Jungkook is somehow surprised and confused for being treated like this. He was never lectured by the woman he was dating since forever. They always be the one who let him off the hook because he is such a catch and they rather being annoyed instead of being left by him..but Yeri is..different.

 

"I know, I'm dating you for the fun part only but still.. being respectful to each other opinion is a basic, right?"

 

She stopped talking after giving him a smile, so pretty. 

 

"I'm not dating you for fun."

 

Yeri feels wronged again when Jungkook is being serious while saying that. Three weeks of relationship, there is nothing but entertainment on this..she is not wrong.

 

"I'm not playing. It's possible that I'll be asking you to be my wife."

 

"No, you won't.."

 

Yeri is laughing hearing what he said, because that's just ridiculous. What would people like Jungkook see from her? They don't belong in the same universe, being a wife of someone is already sounds exhausting for her, and becoming a part of that  family? It sounds like a heavy work.

 

"Don't be so sure."

 

Jungkook is laughing while saying that, and she knows that he's not serious about it.
It's so funny, that she find her smiling while watching him. He looked the best with a cheerful expression.

 

 


 

"Here's your order, Sir."

 

Jungkook is looking around, and the whole thing is different, the restaurant was changed into a bakery and pastry shop, they get rid most of the table but the one he's using right now was not.

No matter how his relationship with Yeri right now. There were times like that, times where he thinks Yeri is the answer to all his quests of life. And these places keep reminded him to those days. He still remembers how surprise he is, everytime Yeri talk and telling him her opinion about something. She is different, and with that, he decided to take her as a wife.
It was supposedly a genuine feeling of love, but now he keeps thinking about it..it probably wasn't.

 

***

 

Yeri can't believe that she is here again. She came here once a few years ago.

"Welcome."

She's entering the small hotel and stop when someone greets her. A young man, probably on her 20s. Different with the one she remembers. She gave him a smile, and looking around. How can she forget this place..

 

"I'm sorry, our bar was closed for renovation"

 

Yeri is becoming embarrassed when he notices how long she's staring at the little bar near the entrance.

 

"Oh..no, it's ok."

 

"May I help you?"

 

"I..i'm looking for someone."

 

"We can not give information about our guest without advance notice, Miss."

 

"Then I'll wait here, till i find him."

 

The staff is not saying anything when she takes a sit in a small couch in the lobby. She knows what she is doing is not exactly good, but she is desperate and scared.
 

She needs Jungkook no matter what. She can't fight Jeon family alone, not after what she did today. Because deep down inside her heart she knows that she never hate that family as much as Jungkook, No matter how bad they treated her, she can not fight them like he does.
 

Yeri is getting anxious when it's been more than 20 minutes that she's waiting for something unclear. She doesn't even know if he is here or not. 

Tears suddenly formed on her eyes, as time passed by, she gets even more scared.
 

What if Jungkook run away? What if he left her behind to fight alone? What if Jooyoung send someone to following her? What about Yein and her mother?

 

"Miss, are you ok?"

 

The staff from earlier is coming to her and give her one cup of water when he realized that she's crying.

 

"What is your name? Maybe I can help you, can you stop crying? please?"

 

No. Unfortunately, she can't.

 

"You said you're looking for your husband, right? What's his name?"

 

Yeri is trying so hard to hold back her tears, so her voice came out clear when she answers the question. But before she manage to do that, her eyes find Jungkook in front of the entrance, he's standing there looking shocked and surprised.

 

"Kim Yeri?"

 

The hotel staff is taking a few steps back when Jungkook is coming to her. She is so relieved that he is here.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

Never in his wildest dream that he will find Yeri here. In this place, at this time.

He gives the hotel staff a bow naturally, because he feels like Yeri is already bothering him or even worse making him get into trouble.

 

"Your wife was looking for you."

 

He's receiving the information with so much confusion going on. Why Yeri is here? How could she knows that he is here? What happened? and Why is she crying?

 

"Look at me. What is going on?"

 

He takes a seat in front of her, almost kneeling, trying to find her eyes because she keeps staring at the floor. No answer.

And when the staff hotel is finally gone, he takes her hand slowly. 

 

"Do you want to talk about this?"

 

There's a long silence between them until Yeri is pulling away her hands from his grip. Her eyes are red and puffy.

 

"I need you."

 

That's what she said, totally sounds like a lie, too absurd to be true. After what had happened.

 

"You said everything's gonna be ok."

 

She gets up and now he knows that his family already did something to her. They're probably hurting her or locked her up just like how they did it, when they were training her to be this Yeri. She was going to walk away after saying that, but he stopped her.

 

"Did they hurt you?"

 

"No, They didn’t.”

 

“I’m not buying that.”

 

“I was never their target. I'm their weapon."

 

That's such a weird thing to say, but Jungkook can understand what she means. The object is always him and Yeri..she's a tool both used by him and his family.

 

***

 

"You lied to me."

 

Jungkook is let her in to his room, after so much drama at the reception table. He told her to get her own room for staying but Yeri refused. She hates being left alone, especially at a time like this.
They're arguing for quite a while until he told her that back then, she left him alone without any word and he is fine with that. He brings such an old story to beat her in an argument.

 

The hotel staff said they don't have any room left and now they're here. Sharing the same space for the first time since 2 years ago. Awkward of course.

 

"How did you know that i'm here?"

 

"I'm your wife, did you forget what happened here?"

 

"You ran away."

 

Yeri is shut right away when Jungkook walk to her and told her to put her bag down. He gives her one pack of sandwich he bought on his way back from dinner and she takes it.

 


 

at one time...

"It's almost midnight."

 

Jungkook is standing next to his car while staring at his watch. Yeri does nothing but doing the exact same thing with him. It's 4 hours drive back home.

She's clearing and makes Jungkook pay attention to her.

 

"We are staying here, right?"

 

"It's a joke. I'll drive you home, don't worry."

 

"I'm not worried. I'm an adult so do you."

 

Not gonna lie, she feels bad now that Jungkook keeps turning his words around.

 

"You didn't seem open with the idea of staying together with me for three days. I can see it, clearly."

 

"I was just being careful. I made calculations in my head and thinking about what are we going to do here..and also how I deal with you if you turned out to be a real criminal."

 

"Fine, we'll stay."

 

***

 

"It's late. Have some sleep."

 

Jungkook is letting Yeri in to the room first, because he's been staying here a lot and he doesn't really need to learn about the surrounding. But different from his expectation, Yeri is enjoying this, he takes one bar of chocolate from her sling bag, opening the curtains and watching the window while eating.

 

"You said you came here often."

 

She's back to him after a long minute of sightseeing.

 

"When I was a kid."

 

Yeri has her own imagination about someone like Jungkook as a kid. Growing up with so much privilege in their hands, that must be a life without burden. So..to think that he came to this small hotel in the middle of nowhere is a little bit..hard to believe.
 

"This is such an upgrade from out first date."

 

"Why? Because i'm willing to spent a night with you?"

 

"No, because we're actually talking about things that matter."

 

He laughed while saying that and pulling her closer to him by her waist. She watched him, and Jungkook is definitely different from when she first met him a few years back. It seems like his life is getting harder..and he has so much burden right now. Maybe because he gets older, since she experience similar things too.

 

"Do you want to hear a confession?"

 

She gave him a hug and talking while caressing his cheeks. There is something about him that makes her feel bad..she doesn't know what.

 

"I don't remember what i did on that date, except that we watched an animation movie and i went home thinking you're cute."

 

"Same. It was not a remarkable date..but at least i still remember that i'm going out with you."

 

"Fair enough."

 

She let him go while feeling slightly annoyed.

 

"But i will surely remember this one though."

 

"Why?"

 

"I don't know. It's just..there is something about you."