CH : 24

AQUIVER


 

"Oh, Jungkook-ah, are you ok?"

 

Jungkook can finally able to hear voices inside his head, opening his eyes is already hard work because he feels his whole body is numb.

 

"I'll call the doctor."

 

He closes his eyes again when two people came to him and start touching his body, telling him to open his eyes and mouth.

 

"Can you hear me?"

 

He nods his head lightly.

 

"Your mother is here."

 

"Jungkook-ah.."

 

It's Mrs. Kim, Yeri's mother. He's glad that her mother is not actually here.

 

"You woke up after 6 days, we'll do some check up later."

 

The last thing he remembers on his head was Yeri.

 

"Do you know where Yeri is?"

 

Mrs. Kim is helping him get up while supporting his shoulder, a thick bandage is covering it, making his movement limited.

 

"She..she's here."

 

"Can i see her?"

 

Mr. Kim seems not sure and she's avoiding his stare.

 

"Mr. Jeon!!"

 

It's nice to actually see Jieun again, she looks happy too, worried but also relieved, she's running to him while looking so gloomy.

 

"I'm glad you are ok."

 

"How about Yeri?"

 

"She said she wanted to be alone."

 

"I'll check on her, Jieun-ssi..you can stay."

 

"I understand."

 

Jungkook is in total confusion after witnessing the exchange between Jieun and Mrs. Kim. Something seems to be bothering them. Mrs. Kim left rigth away and he change his focus to Jieun next to him.

 

"Mr. Jeon.."

 

"What happened? Where is my wife?"

 

Jieun is dragging a chair so she can sit next to his bed closely. She seems lost.

 

"Mr. Jeon, Yeri-ssi is pregnant."

 

"I know."

 

"You do?"

 

"Of course, why wouldn't I know that my wife is pregnant?"

 

"But she said…"

 

"What?"

 

"Both of you have situations..

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She lost her baby when she brought you here."

 

Jieun is quite baffled to the fact that this is happening, at all. Jungkook is shocked.

 

"I told you this because, Mrs. Kim doesn't speak to anyone, she's still in shock and she's worried about you too. Her mental state is.."

 

"I want to see her."

 

"We're going to run some check up."

 

Jieun getting up from her seat when one doctor and two nurses coming to Jungkook and do something to him. It was passed by really quick, and the doctor seems happy.

 

"He is fine, you can get some fresh air if you feel strong enough."

 

They left after 15 minutes, and Jungkook is already asking her to help him get out. The only thing she can do is following his order, she helps him get on a wheelchair and pushed him out from his room.

 

"Mr. Jeon when i said, her mentality is not good..i really meant it."

 

Jungkook asked her to stop when they reach Yeri's room, the door is slightly opened, Mrs. Kim is in there, caressing her hair, she's sleeping on her bed, back facing them so she can't see Jungkook. They don't know if her mother told her about his condition or not.

 

Jungkook thought it was easy to see Yeri and talking to her about what had happened, but turns out that he doesn't have enough courage to see her. He ruined her life again and again, putting her in such hell for no reason.

He was going to ask Jieun to take him back but looks like Mrs. Kim notice his existence and told Yeri about it. Jieun seems aware because she's pushing him forward to enter the room.

 

Mrs. Kim told Yeri that he's coming..but she doesn't budge from her sleeping position, not even opening her eyes, so he asked Jieun and Mrs. Kim to leave with his weak gesture. They seem to understand and left right away after closing the door for him.

 

What should he say about Yeri.. the girl is in a total distress, she lost so much weight, there's no color on her face at all, worse from his imagination.

 

He used his hand to touch her head and patting it a few times until she finally opened her eyes, the seconds it's opened, she's crying, without a sound, just so much tears flowing from it.

 

He's compiling all his strength to stand so he can see Yeri better, he wipes her tears slowly, and forced her to make room for him to lay down with her, because he can stand that long either, all his body is in so much pain.

 

"You can go back to sleep, I'll just watch you."

 

Yeri knows that Jungkook is trying so hard to ignore everything and pretend nothing is wrong from their life. He takes her closer to him, hugging her and caressing her back as he's struggling to make his shoulder in a convenient position.

Her life is a complete chaos, full of pain.. for the past few days and she can't believe, Jungkook being here makes everything slightly better, like she's not actually alone.

She says nothing but trying to close her eyes again while hugging Jungkook back, depending on him to make her feel better.

 

****

 

"I don't think you should do that, Mr. Jeon. Your wound is still not healed and you need a space for your.."

 

Yeri can't heard a conversation when she wakes up, seems like there are  three or four people on her room, Jungkook is still with her but she could hear that he's in pain every time he's making a slight move.

 

"I'm fine. I don't want to leave."

 

"Alright, a nurse will standby for you outside, just let him know if you feels pain or something."

 

"Thank you."

 

Everyone is leaving after that short conversation.

 

"You don't need to be here all night."

 

She finally talks when she heard another groan from Jungkook when she moves. She's looking up at him, and he looks so much worse than when he came here earlier. She falls asleep for two hours or so.

He's not answering her at all, he's just staring at her and seconds later, he gives her a hug.

 

"I missed you."

 

He talks with a shaking voice, holding his tears and Yeri actually feels thankful because he doesn't say sorry to her. Everyone's been saying it for the past few days, she hates it so much.

 

" I almost killed you, i was crazy."

 

"You are worried a lot, right?"

 

He let her go from his embrace, and she can see that he's crying, he wiped his tears with his sleeves quick while giving her a smile, a forced one.

She's already trying to stopped crying but seeing Jungkook like this is making her heart hurt, even more than before.

 

"I'm really sorry."

 

So she ended up as the one who's saying sorry, it's not fair for Jungkook to be in this situation. Trying to blame himself for something he doesn't even know.

 

"You've done nothing wrong."

 

"I almost killed you..I lied to you..i was crazy and stupid."

 

This is the first time for him to finally aware about what Jieun means with Yeri's condition. She's totally lost and she puts all the blame about what happened to herself.

 

"I killed Chaerin, i killed you, i killed the baby.."

 

The sounds of her cry is totally alarming because Jungkook never heard this since forever. Since her father died.

All the sleepless nights he spent to hear she's crying but  decided to ignore it because he was that bad is coming back to his memories.

And he feels like because of that.

If back then, he did nothing when Yeri needs him the most, he won't do that anymore, not tonight or any other night ever again.

 

"You're not, I'm here.."

 

He forced her to get up and told her to sit, while trying to make her looking at him, closely, so she'll know that he's not dead, that he is alive.

But the only thing she's doing is covering her face and crying even harder, her shoulder is shaking and there are so many fears on every word she said.

 

"Kim Yeri.."

 

He was going to try once again, but the door is opened from the outside, a nurse and Mrs. Kim is here, they probably heard she cried.

 

"It's ok, Jungkook-ah.."

 

He was pulled up from Yeri who's still a little bit hysterical while being hugged by her mother. His nurse is dragging him walk outside when he finds that his wound is open again, behind the bandage.

 

"We need to treat this first."

 

His head is completely dizzy when Mrs. Kim nod her head to him and mouthing it's ok on repeat.

Nothing is ok. Everything's messed up.

 

****

 

"The stitches are open, you need to limit your movement after we're done closing it."

 

Jungkook is sitting on his bed, while his nurse is stitching his wound, it doesn't feel hurt at all, not even a sting, only his heart is hurt.

 

He's completely shocked, surprised and angry at the whole situation Yeri needs to go through.

 

"It's done."

 

He's wearing his clothes in a quick movement, and ready to get back to Yeri but Mrs. Kim showed up on his room.

 

"She's sleeping with the help of medicine."

 

It's clear for him that's Mrs. Kim doesn't want him to go back there. Her eyes showed him everything.

 

"Jungkook-ah..Yeri is..she's been like this for the past few days. Doctor said it's just something on her head and it won't last long."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She tried to run away from here, the other night. We need to watch her 24 hours a day. I don't know what happened between you and her or Jooyoung.. but she blames herself for everything."

 

"She doesn't need to. What happened to me, or to anyone is never her fault."

 

"It's not the problem right now. Everyone already told her that again and again, sometimes she will accept it, she will understand, but then suddenly she thought different again. In a short word, she's sick. My daughter almost went crazy and it's my fault."

 

Jungkook is quite surprised because Mrs. Kim is no longer as warm as before. She sounds mad and disappointed.

 

"I sent her away for a marriage because I was blinded by my own greed, a man like you as a son in law, for a commoner like me, it feels like i'm winning a jackpot."

 

Jungkook is no longer responding to her words, and the only thing he's doing is staring at the floor. The past week must've been hard for him to fight for his own life.. but it's nothing easier for Yeri. The marriage Mrs. Kim thought as a fairytale is nothing more than just hell to both of them.

 

"I never asked her about how she felt regarding you and your family. I was mad at her when she told me you're going to get a divorce."

 

"We won't."

 

She lift her face to Jungkook when he talks again. He seems not sure about it.

 

"I didn't even know she's pregnant, because she never told me anything."

 

"If there's someone to blame, it's not you, it's me. I know what Yeri went through, I was there with her, I know she was pregnant. It's all on me."

 

Jungkook is walking closer to her and squeezing her hands as he's kneeling in front of her.

 

"I'm really sorry."

 

Deep down inside her heart, Mrs. Kim is aware that Jungkook can not be blamed completely. She also knows that his life is not easy, he got so much burden at such a young age. He doesn't play or spend time for himself but rather use it to work all the time.

Yeri is so much luckier than him in terms of being someone else's kid. She received love and taken care of really well by her family, something that people like Jungkook couldn't have. Getting mad at him is not fair.

 



 

 

Next morning, Jungkook is already stand by in front of Yeri's room, he gets rid of his hospital patient uniform and changing to a casual clothes because it makes him depressed every time he got reminded to how the situation is a complete mess.

 

"She doesn't want to see you."

 

Disappointing but not surprising, when he received the news from Yein about Yeri who refused to see him, after last night.

 

"It's ok, can you tell her that i'll wait for her until she feels better to talk with me?"

 

"I will."

 

Pushing her will just makes everything get worse, he already received a short briefing from her doctor earlier today. They told him about everything, her misscarraiage happened because her pregnancy is already weak since the beginning and with a little exhaustion combined with unhealthy mind is enough to make it happen. She took the news really well for the first few hours after received it, but since he was also in a comatose situation, Yeri is becoming more stressed and depressed to the point that she thinks she's the reason all misfortune happened.

And as day passed without him getting better, the pressure is just getting harder to Yeri and it leads her into this. Not to mention that he knows how hard her life is for the past few months, or maybe years after their marriage. It's all makes sense that she gets tired.

He left Yeri's room and went back to his where his father is waiting for him. Jieun already told him too about the situation with Jooyoung.

 

"If you want to sue, it's ok. He already confessed everything, anyway."

 

Jooyoung, that little prick. He takes the blame for everything that happened to him, including what Yeri did to him.

 

"Why are you doing this? Jooyoung been beating me up for years, and you saw it too. Is it because I almost died.."

 

"Jungkook-ah.."

 

"I won't sue. You guys can go back to your life as it is, tell your wife and Jooyoung to stop bothering me or Yeri."

 

His dad looks relieved hearing that. He cares so much about Jooyoung as usual.

 

"I'm sorry about your lost."

 

He lifted his face, and everything suddenly feels real when he heard that. He really lost a kid. He gives his dad a smile and he nods, while trying to leave.

 

"Mr. Jeon.."

 

His dad is stopping his walk and come back to him with a curious expression.

 

"I always wanted to ask you this, You do know that your wife ruining my life, right? You do know that she is a gold digger who aim for your money.."

 

"For me, she's just a wife, Jungkook-ah."

 

"She brainwashed you for years."

 

"I'm sorry i can't protect you."

 

Jungkook is totally dumbfounded, the toxicity of his family is already out of the world. Even his own father is already turns into someone who has no affection to him whatsoever.

 

"You don't need to feel sorry for me anymore, I'm no longer your son. I'll take my leave immediately from everything about you. I beg you to leave me alone."

 

His father seems surprised but then he gave him a nod.

 

"I guess, you deserved to be happy somewhere, son."

 

That's ridiculous, but Jungkook already lost his will to do anything. It's clear to him that his father is already stopped being a parent for him the moment Mrs. Jeon is taking over the household.

Well..what can he expect from a man whose wife suddenly died with one year old son to take care of. He usually lives his life with so much freedom and tons of fortune, when a woman, No matter how evil or crazy she was offers him to take care of everything, why wouldn't he say no. .

Jungkook is already in a damned situation long before he grew up. His life is already messed up since the beginning, there is no one to blame.
 

"I surely do."




 

 

"How are you feeling today, Yeri-ssi?"

 

"When can I get out of here?"

 

Jieun is watching the doctor and Yeri interaction with so many questions on her head. Both Jungkook and Yeri is never showing how hard their life is except the things with their family..so to see that Yeri is in this situation makes her dumbfounded.

 

"After you feels better."

 

The doctor left after checking on Yeri and Jieun is coming to her with a smile.

 

"I don't want to see him"

 

"I know and he knows too."

 

Yeri is surprise that Jieun said that. Three people have already comes to her since this morning, asking her to see Jungkook..but she can't. She won't.

 

Jieun is not saying anything when Yeri stop talking to her. She’s just staring at the other side of the room while sometimes taking a deep breath before she covers her face to cry. 

 

“It’s ok, Yeri-ssi.”

 

Jieun doesn’t know how many times she’s been watching Yeri crying like this for the past week. She can’t relate to her because what happened to her is so messed up, and she's just surprised to see this side of her after years knowing her as a strong, independent wife of an heir. 

 

“Can you please tell him that i’m sorry..”

 

“You can tell him by yourself.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

She stopped forcing her because Yeri doesn’t need that right now. She left her after spending some time to talk about light topic.

 

***

 

“How is she?”

 

Jieun is already expecting this. Jungkook came out from behind the door as soon as she came out from Yeri’s room.

 

“She is fine. She told me to apologize on her behalf.”

 

“She doesn’t want to talk to me.”

 

“Yes, she needs time, Mr. Jeon. If I were her I'll probably shutting everyone’s off and acting like a jerk all day. But she seems stronger than me, she will be fine.”

 

“I can’t say the same thing for me.”

 

“You will be fine, too.”

 

She gave him a smile and Jungkook is giving her two envelope suddenly.

 

“This is my resignation letter. I won’t be working or taking any part of the company again. I talked to my dad, I'm basically erasing my name from the Jeon’s family. Every single relationship that I have with them. Can you take care of it?”

 

“Mr. Jeon, what is going on?”

 

Jeon Jungkook loves his job. He’s been working since he was young, every achievement the company or his family reached in business happened because he made it happened. This is a surprise for Jieun because why would he left everything behind..things he chased his whole life, things he always fight for to the point that he was wounded and wrecked by insults or a punch. It was a long journey and full of his hard work.

 

“I’m not capable to take care of my wife or become a decent human being while I'm running that company. You see what happened.”

 

“But your wife been with you..”

 

“She faked it. She was never happy.”

 

“Really?”

 

It doesn’t seem like that. From an outsider's point of view, Jieun can only see Yeri who is more suitable than anyone as a wife to people like Jungkook. She can handle every burden and load work really well. She’s perfect.

 

“Just help me, for one last time.”

 

“I..I..understand, sir. I’m sorry.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Jieun left to do her job after saying goodbye to Jungkook. Maybe that’s how you are doing a marriage, making sacrifice and considerate for whatever your partner needed even when they said or they looked they’re fine.


 



 

 

I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s been three days. My doctor allows me to come home today.”

 

Yein doesn’t know what to say to Jungkook when this is the third day she told him that Yeri still won’t see him.

 

“Then you should come home. Doctor will run some checks on her today and if she’s fine. You can just see her back at home. Hospital is not a good place, everyone is becoming more stressed here.”

 

Jungkook seems disagree but he knows that what Yeri wants is the most important thing for him right now, and Yein is thankful for it.

 

“I’ll take her home, right away when the doctor said so. I promised.”

 

She’s trying to reassuring Jungkook once again while giving him a quick hug. It must be hard for him too, the whole situation.