CH : 19

AQUIVER

 

You gained your office back, impressive.”

 

Jieun also back to her station as Jungkook’s secretary, and more than anything she really is happy with the situation, only Jungkook is gloomy. He went to talk to his father this morning, and the news about him being reinstated was sent through the email blast announcement for all employees, she can’t find nothing bad from this but Jungkook doesn’t look that happy.

 

Jieun decide to get back to her desk when another pop up email is showed up on her screen. It’s another announcement, about Yeri who was moved to Japan branch office in a week. The email told all the employees to help her with all unfinished work and sending her off as she will spend most of times in another country.

She stares at Jungkook again, and now she understands why he’s being indifferent. It must be hard to part ways with your wife.


 

***

 

Yeri-ssi..”

 

Yeri is surprised to see Jieun at her door, she was just got here after the worst morning sickness she ever experienced. Before she knew she was pregnant, things like this never happened, but after she knew, everything starts to bothers her. She can’t even eat her breakfast yet.
 

“Oh?”

 

“I heard the news.”

 

She’s becoming panic when she thought that Jieun realized about her condition or if someone is already knew and tell everyone about her being pregnant.

 

“About what?”

 

“You are moving away.”

 

“Right.”

 

Jieun sounds disappointed when she talks, her eyes are following Yeri’s every movement and she knows what is on her mind about this.

 

“Did they forced you?”

She asked that question carefully. Yeri shakes her head because it wasn’t true. She asked for this.

 

“I thought this would be good for me and my husband.”

 

Jieun nods her head and stopped talking to her, she knows she has so many questions but Jieun is good at trying hard to not get involved too much on this matter.

 

“You know how hard he works, I think he will be more focused if I was away for some time.”

 

But Yeri ended up telling her anyway, she doesn’t want Jieun to be worried, other than her workers. Jieun is also her friend.

 

“I..don’t know about that.”

 

Yeri is smiling when Jieun talks to her and standing close to her to give her a hug.

 

“I wish you all the best, Yeri-ssi.”

 

“Thank you.”

 



 

The next few days the only thing Yeri’s doing is saying goodbye to everyone and trying to learn something about her next job. She will stay there for 3 or 4 weeks and continuing her journey, she’s still not deciding about what will she do after this. She needs to talk with her family first, the divorce won’t be a surprise to her family, because Jungkook wasn’t coming to Yein’s wedding before and everyone somehow aware about her marriage problem. The hardest part is probably about having a kid alone, she doesn’t really want to let her family knows yet before the divorced finalized, she is afraid, they will use her situation to ask Jeon’s family something.

***
 

Yeri is staring at the pile of boxes on her office. This is her last day and she will leave early in the morning the next day. Jungkook is becoming so busy after gained his position back, they rarely see each other, but he told her that he will take her to the airport tomorrow. 

She’s so ready to leave when Jooyoung and Mrs. Jeon is coming to her office, only them. Their expression is totally not good, she knows for sure that they’re mad.

 

“Kim Yeri, you witch”

 

It’s totally unexpected when Mrs. Jeon came to her and give her a hit on her head. Jooyoung was trying to stop his mother so Yeri can take a few steps back. She watched both of them in a total confusion because what the hell is wrong with these people.

 

“Are you trying to play with us?”

 

She’s blinking her eyes when Jooyoung asked her that question. 

 

“What plan do you have? I taught you everything and you’re planning to use it against me? You are so much worse than me.”

 

That’s an insult, Yeri is trying to stand firm on her feet and lift her face to Mrs. Jeon.

 

“No, I'm not.”

 

“Explain this. You have planned to run away and comeback with a kid trying to take everything from us? “

 

Yeri is staring at a bunch of reports about his medical check up, including her pregnancy, they also have people following her and taking pictures of her in the hospital for multiple times.

 

“What you did is a crime. You sent people to stalks me?”

 

“Your life is ours since the day you step in on our home, since the day you were treated as a princess of this family, since you received money from us! We are tracking our belonging!! ”

 

Yeri is not responding to that scream because she knows it will just harm her even more. These people are crazy.

 

“I don’t have any plans to comeback. I will raise my kid as my own, you don’t need to worry about this at all. I swear for my life that..”

 

“Does my brother knows? You can just said it like that to avoiding us.”

 

Yeri is staring at Jooyoung when he came to her and speak with so much hatred on his voice. 

 

“Wait, let me rephrase my question, is it his? The baby? Weren’t you just..”

 

“He doesn’t know, and that is none of your business whether this kid was his or not, I already made up my mind that this baby will only know me as a parent, so please don’t say a word to Jungkook or anyone else.”

 

“You’re evil, how can we trust you?”

 

“I probably a gold digger like you but I'm not evil enough to use my own kid to get what I want.”

 

Yeri is talking to Mrs. Jeon while glaring to Jooyoung, so they know what she meant with that. Jooyoung is avoiding her eyes because he knows that she was right. He is only a tool to fulfill his mother's greed. She never treated him as a son properly for all these years. 

 

“I’m not wrong about this, right, Jooyoung-ssi?”

 

Mrs. Jeon was going to say something but she didn’t when the front office door was opened and Jungkook is coming in through that. Yeri give a glare to Jooyoung and his mom while telling him to shut up and take all the reports they throw to her desk back to her bag.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Finding Jooyoung and his mother here is totally not what Jungkook expected when he decided to see Yeri before she left the office. 

Well, despite the fact that he knows that they probably has plans ready for him, it’s still hurt to actually aware that Yeri is probably part of this.

 

“They just wanted to say goodbye.”

 

Yeri is the one who’s answering him even though his eyes are fixed to Jooyoung who’s totally looked uncomfortable.

 

“Really?”

 

So he’s directing his question to Jooyoung right away, he knows something is odd, the atmosphere is just weird.

 

“Why do you care?”

 

But then he received an annoying remarks from him. Jooyoung is out from the office without sparing him or Yeri any more glance.

 

“We’ll talk later.”

 

His mother is also coming out after Jooyoung left. He changes his focus to Yeri who’s hiding her shaking hands behind her back. She gave him a smile when their eyes met.

***

“Did you finished your work?”
 

She’s packing a few pieces of paper to her bag in a rush while asking him that. 

 

“You told me that you wanted to leave and stop interacting with my family.”

 

“I will. You don’t need to worry, we didn’t plotting something against you. They just wanted to say goodbye.”

 

She turns to him after finished packing her bag. He stares at her eyes, and he really wants to believe her but he can’t. He knows Yeri is not telling him the truth, whatever it is.

 

“You don’t believe me.”

 

“Give me one reason to why I should believe?”

 

He takes her bag and walking out from her office and she could hear Yeri is walking behind him. 

 

“I’m leaving tomorrow, that is good enough reason.”

 

She’s catching up with him as they walk to the hallway together. Yeri is smiling at him when she said that and now it finally hits him that she really is leaving. After all these years, he never thought that their marriage will come to an end like this. 

He already told her that he will drop her home for the last day of work and he will also take her to the airport tomorrow. He said that he is the one who dragged her into this in the first place, and it will be just right if he is the one who sent her go before she gain her life back.

 

***

 

The ride with Yeri is never something significant in his life, he's done it a hundred times.. but tonight feels different. It does feels like the first time he knew her. The bright and young girl who loves to smile, brave and somehow smart enough to get a free ride from a stranger she met.

 

“I’ll pick you up at 6 AM.”

 

“Sounds good for me.”

 

“Do you know that..you’re moving to a place where i can get to you within two hours flight?”

 

Yeri is turn her face from him and shaking her head quickly.

 

“Don’t do that..”

 

She talks to him with a very weak voice, almost begging. It makes Jungkook glancing at her and lost his smile. He didn’t say anything for a few seconds but then letting out a sigh and back with his little laugh.

 

“I don’t know you hate me that much.”

 

“I don’t.”

 

“You’re leaving for a reason, if it’s not because you hate me so much then what is it?”

 

Jungkook sounds totally disappointed and sad. It makes her feel guilty.

 

“It’s not because I hate you.”

 

“ I love you, Yeri-ya.. It’s not easy for me to let you go despite how much I despise you and what you did to me..”

 

Not gonna lie, it’s kinda makes her mad that Jungkook is so easy to selling his i love you words to her given how the situation between them right now. He is the one who lost his trust for her and refusing to hear any of her explanation which is totally understandable, judging from how she treated him for the past few years, so she gave up on him. 

She was so ready to let everything go but then he came to her again, asking her to stay and making her worried about leaving him alone surrounded by people who try to ruin him.

The only thing she wants is for him to let her go with peace but here he is again, telling her he loves her and making her weak while reconsidering if staying with him with a kid and a family is probably worthy. He’s playing with her all the time and it makes her mad that it’s worked.

 

“Pull over, i’ll take a taxi.”

 

She talks fast without giving Jungkook a glance, but she knows that he is surprised with what she said. He does stop his car though.

She gets out of the car immediately but then Jungkook followed her. And told her to stop her walk.

 

“Let’s talk first.”
 

That’s what he said, and honestly she’s already so tired with this mess. They should’ve talked since long time ago.

 

“What do you want, seriously?”

 

Yeri is folding her hands, staring at him with a sharp eyes and Jungkook knows that she is totally angry. But he can’t help it, parting ways with her is the least thing he wanted to do. She is the only decent thing in his life.

 

“I want you to be happy. That’s all.”

 

Yeri is stunned, his answer is totally not something she’s expecting but that is worse because she was so ready to lash out if Jungkook told her that he wanted her to stay but he didn’t.

 

“And I know, leaving the country and everything you have here won’t make you happy.”

 

He is right, completely. Yeri is totally scared for leaving and trying to live a life where her family is not there, when Jungkook is not with her. Being happy is not her goal from leaving.

 

“You are hiding a lot of things from me, Did they forced you to leave? What did they give you? Why are you torturing yourself with leaving? Did you do it for me or for yourself?”

 

Yeri is totally defeated with lots of his question, she doesn’t look as mad as before. Her eyes are wandering away and avoiding his gaze, she bite her lips and sweep her hair back before finally lift her face to him again with teary eyes, still with no answer.

 

“Answer me, and makes me believe that you are happy from doing this!”

 

Jungkook is aware being harsh to her will hurt her even more but he doesn’t want Yeri to lie or sacrifices herself for his sake anymore. They wanted to end this without making each other suffers.

 

“Kim Yeri!”

 

“This is our only chance!”

 

Yeri is finally talk to him while covering her face and the only thing he can do is watching her. He doesn’t understand.

 

“What chance?”

 

“A chance for life you always asked me.”

 

She’s trying so hard to hold her tears but he can see that Yeri is totally breaking down. 

 

“Do you remember how many times you beg me to run away from your family and start a new life after we got married? You even asked me in your sleep, with tears!”

 

Of course Jungkook remember those days. Once he got married and learn that he can be happy with Yeri only. He thought that other things he fought for before her is useless, money, company, Jooyoung, his family, he doesn’t feel the need of that when Yeri is around.

He tried to ask her that, a separation from his life, he told her he was tired and having her is enough to make him content for the rest of his life. Yeri always said no, she always said that he should fight for what was his, she told him that giving up was not his choice and it will never be.

 

“I pretended to be kind by supporting you, when in fact I don't want to run away from your family because I don't have confidence to live my life with you who has nothing. You know me, a shameless gold digger, i got married with you, giving up my youth, I thought it was unfair that I get nothing in return. I should make my father’s business a success with your help, I should buy more things for me and for my family, I should live my life…”

 

“It’s not something i don’t know.”

 

“You don’t know, that’s why you were mad at me, refuse to listen to me and granted me a divorce. You’re disappointed in me because you thought I'm a good person when I'm not!!”

 

He’s totally dumbfounded when Yeri is stopping a taxi and get into it without talking or listening to him further. She is gone.

 



 

Yeri is sitting on her bed while staring at the three suitcase she packed the day before. She knows for sure that Jungkook will come to get her after she ran away just like that from their argument.

 

She could hear that the front door opened and someone is coming in to the house, it only takes a few seconds before the person knocking on her room and she knows for sure that it’s Jungkook. He is the only one who can get in and out from this house because he used to live here before.

 

“Open the door!”

 

He’s screaming really loud that Yeri is flinching hearing his hard knock, more like he’s hitting the door with his palm. She is not saying anything nor do anything, no matter how hard Jungkook knock on the door, she does nothing. Only tears start flowing out from her eyes. 

 

"I let you go for not opening this door for me before and see how we turns out.."

 

The words coming from Jungkook is becoming weaker now. He is not hitting the door or force his way in anymore. Both of them are being quiet now, Yeri almost thought that he left when she heard footsteps from the outside. It was moving away, getting far from her that she can barely hear it.

 

"I'm sorry. I'll see you tomorrow."

 

If this door won't open the last time they went through this, Jungkook doesn't know why he's hoping something is changed now, Yeri is still Yeri and him is still him, both are selfish enough for not trying to fix their relationship. Just like before.

 

"You don't need to come tomorrow."

 

It’s a surprise for him when the door is finally opened. Yeri is coming out while staring at the floor and talking to him slowly. She cried of course. She's walking to him and lift her shoulder while smiling awkwardly.

 

"We said bad and hurtful things everytime we saw each other. It will be better that we end everything now, so i can go with peace later."

 

He watched her taking one can of beer for him and a box of apple juice for herself. 

 

"I'm really sorry that i left you."

 

She said that words while telling him to sit in front of her. Something is totally not right but he just doesn't know what that is.

 

"I want the truth." 

 

Yeri lift her face to Jungkook whose expression is totally cold and unfriendly. He made order and emphasize her to do what he wanted.

 

"Which one?"

 

"Why did you leave?"

 

"I am tired dealing with this life."

 

"I said I want the truth!"

 

She takes a deep breath and glancing at her husband who's totally not happy with what he heard.

 

"I am avoiding you. That's the truth."

 

"Why?"

 

Yeri is laughing at him while avoiding his gaze. She's trying to hide her tears with that but he knows.

 

"Shouldn't you be happy that I left? I am the shameless gold digger, you hate me."

 

"Kim Yeri!!"

 

"What? Don't you dare tell me that I am wrong because I'm not.."

 

It’s really no use to argue with Yeri when she already firm with what she wanted to do. Even though Jungkook still have tons of doubts about her reason to leave, he doesn’t want to push her anymore, because then this conversation won’t be going anywhere.

 

“Fine. You want to cut ties with me, I'll accept that.”

 

He’s staring at her who’s totally looked uncomfortable while her hands playing with her drink. She’s holding her tears so much that her face is becoming so red.

 

“Why?” So he asked, hoping for her to at least tell him what is hurting her.

 

“When i told you i want to leave, I will go to a place where you can’t trace me. To a place where me as your wife is no longer exists.”

 

Dumbfounded.

Jungkook knows that simply went to a neighboring country to work is not an effective way to cut ties with him, if that was Yeri’s goal. He can easily find her if he wanted to meet her again just like how it was before. 

 

“I want to disappear from your life completely and i want you to do the same thing for me too.”

 

Yeri closed after saying that, because she is afraid that she will break down into tears again if she talked more. 

 

“Let me ask you one thing, for all those years we were together, do you ever see me as a husband not because of what i have but just me..do you ever care for me genuinely?”

 

And with the serious question Jungkook  asked her, Yeri is totally loss at words, speechless, confused, and burdened. She doesn’t know how to answer the question strategically while hiding the real truth he can never know.

 

“No, I don't.”

And when she finally answered, Jungkook gave him a slight smile while taking a sip of his beer and staring at her again. He looks so disappointed.

 

“You are lying.”

 

“It wasn’t my intention to treat you like that, but if I looked back to what i have for you, i did everything because I'm expecting something in return, none of it was genuine..”

 

“You said you never wanted gifts I gave you because the only thing you wanted was me..”

 

“I will say anything to not losing you as a husband, you’re the greatest achievement I ever made in my life, given how rich and capable you are..”

 

“Are you saying this to pissed me off?”

 

Yeri is closing her eyes when Jungkook abruptly gets up from his seat and throw the empty can of his drink to a trash can next to her. He is not drunk, she knows, he is just angry and frustrated.

 

“You said you wanted the truth.”

 

“And that was it?”

 

She nods her head lightly, and Jungkook is walking to the living room while staring at the huge window.

 

“That’s not what your friend told me.”