CH : 36

AQUIVER

Yeri spent her time alone unpacking a few foods Jieun gave her earlier. Things that she liked, because she told her about living with Jungkook and he doesn’t really keep this kind of food at his home.

 

“What is it?”

 

She stopped what she’s doing when Jungkook is walking to her, he is already taking off his black coat and only wearing his white shirts. His face looked totally tired, he slept for almost two hours.

 

“Jieun gave me this earlier. She packed it and i brought it”

 

It’s food. Bread and a few snacks, Jungkook never bothered to stock this kind of food after the divorced. Yeri is the one who likes these.

 

“Your favorite.”

 

“It’s edible. We’re running out of groceries, you have no choice.”

 

“I actually do.”

 

Yeri is not really happy when Jungkook is bringing out one pack of canned beer from his fridge. It’s always been there since the day one she came here, but he never drinks it since then.


 

"I can't even say no because I'm no longer your wife."

 

She told Jungkook to eat a piece of bread first before he drank his beer. He hasn't eaten any proper food today.

 

"You know I'm good at this."

 

Well, of course. Jungkook's life before her was basically a fun game. 

 

"I can say the same thing about myself too."

 

No different with her.

But when you are a wife of someone, you will certainly hate it if your husband comes home with problems and uses this method to get rid of his stress instead of talking to you. That's why she always told him to do this not in front of her because she gets hurt like that. And he understood . But again, technically they’re not married anymore, he can do whatever he wants, besides she actually needs some for herself too. 

 

“Why did she give you this?”

 

Yeri can see that Jungkook is trying so hard to ease his heart after today. He’s trying to act like his father didn’t just pass away, and act like he didn’t feel bad about it. She knows it.

 

“I told Jieun I live here now.”

 

Yeri talks without any burden, she offers him one can of beer and opens another one for her to drink. They never agreed about letting people know that she lives here now, so it’s kinda surprising for Jungkook when she talked about it confidently like this.

 

“Really?”

 

He finds himself laughing because of it.

 

“Can I ask you about something?”

 

But he stopped when Yeri suddenly turned serious after a few sips of her drink. She stared at him for quite some time before her eyes got teary.

 

“What did you tell people about our divorce? Why are you the only one getting blamed for that?”

 

"Did Jieun told you?"

 

Jungkook is becoming so defensive about it, that Yeri is totally sure what Jieun told her earlier is all true.

 

She nods her head and takes another sip of her drink when Jungkook is doing the same thing too. She regrets it right away that she talked about this right now when he's probably still having another thing to settle, his own feeling after his father died.

 

"We don't need to talk about this right now."

 

"I know you'll hate me for that."

 

He looked so relaxed to actually about this, he talks like he wasn't harassed and wrongfully judged because of this matter.

 

"I don't hate you. I am disappointed and embarrassed."

 

"That's how business works. You know it better than anyone."

He talked to her like she's some sort of a kid who doesn't know how life's work.
 


Yeri can feel that her face is getting warmer, maybe because of the drink or the embarrassment she felt regarding this. She looked at Jungkook with a quick glance, and he didn't actually look happy either.

 

"If it's just about business you could've just told them about me running away."

 

"It wasn't simple and easy like that."

 

Jungkook remember the day after he resigned from the company, days after Yeri left. Everyone is against his decision. They were trying to do anything to make him stay. He couldn't even have time for himself and finding a way out without getting hurt in the process.

He was all alone.

 

Of course it will be easier if Yeri is with him at that time, but she didn't. He just wanted to get away real quick. He told them that Yeri left him because of his mistake, and that one mistake will potentially harm the whole company if the public ever finds out so they need to fire him. He didn't specify what he did, but gossip and rumors are going wild about him being abusive, or about Yeri losing her kid because he did something to her.

Crazy stuff which completely ruins his reputation.

 

"Someone came to me today, the wife of your colleagues.. she hugged me, asking me if i was ok.. told me that i'm an angel for being there.. then i watched her ignoring you completely."

 

She talks very slowly, and her voice sounds weak. She looked at him and stared at his eyes as she's telling him this.

 

"I was so angry, because why can people be nice to you for today only, the day when you need comfort more than anything else. If they're bothered by the divorce shouldn't they treat me the same too? I was wondering about it, and when i learned about what you did. All the hatred I have for them is gone replaced by hatred for myself."

 

She decided to leave after taking a last sip from her drink and going inside the guest room. Laying down on it for awhile, and close her eyes. Even though she really wanted to have some sleep, it just won't work.

 

****

 

 

Jungkook is actually not expecting this kind of conversation, he doesn't know people or Jieun will actually tell Yeri about what was going on. Because he clearly told her to not say a word about this.

 

He's trying to distract himself from reading the news release his family and company sent to the public about the passing of his father. They clearly stated that nothing about the company's future is decided since every one is still mourning this loss, but the media already made speculation regarding him. They said the chance for him to come back is huge.

Reading this only makes his stress level higher, he closes his eyes trying to get some rest but bothered when he heard footsteps behind him. It's Yeri.

 

He doesn't know why she's out here, but if she decided to continue their conversation from before, he'll tell her to find some other time to do that, because now he is just so tired and completely exhausted. 

 

She's finally standing beside his chairs, and he's asking her what she wants with his eyes, she's taking an empty seat next to him, and opening another pack of canned beer, taking three cans and opening it again for her to drink.

 

"Your father was a nice person. At least for me and my family.."

 

She talks while staring at him, and forces him to clash his can with hers. She's coughing when she starts drinking her beer, and he finds her very endearing, especially after he realized that she wasn’t trying to talk about her but about his father.

 

"I know. I saw your mom and Yein cried earlier."

 

"It was a heart failure. Very common for someone older than 65 years old.."

 

"He was 63. "

 

Yeri is completely taken aback when Jungkook responds to what she said without looking at her, mocking her with a little laugh because what she said is so random, even though it actually helps him to put all the blame over this to his disease instead of what he did.

 

"Ah..really? anyway, the risk is higher for him.."

 

She seems not sure about what she just said and now trying to hide her face because he keeps looking at her.

 

"I read it..from somewhere."

 

She starts talking once again, but her voice is becoming weaker than before since he's not responding to her at all.

 

"What I was trying to say is..it wasn't your fault. Not even one tiny chance that it was your fault."

 

Yeri is not sure if that was the thing Jungkook wanted to hear, but it was for her, back when she lost her dad. She was hoping for him to say this to her, trying to make her heart feel at ease.

She's totally taken aback and gets worried when Jungkook is not even talking to her, but starts to have tears in his eyes. He's trying to hide it by stopping looking at her but she already saw it and it makes her feel bad. He is a different person from her, maybe that's not what he wanted to hear.

 

"When your dad passed away.. what did you want from me?"

 

He suddenly talks after a long silence, and his question is actually hard to answer. She wanted a lot of things back then.

 

"Attention, support, comfort, hugs, I wanted to tell you about my dad when he was alive, my memories of him, so you will understand why I can not accept the reality that he was gone..."

 

But alcohol is totally helping, she can actually listing everything easily, she's glancing at him to see his reaction regarding her answer and Jungkook is turning his chair to her direction, looking around with his empty eyes.

 

"I know it probably sounds very selfish, but I need those things you said right now."

 

He's talking to her while looking down, and she can spot a drop of his tears is finally visible on his cheeks. She's not thinking much before she come to him with a hug, forcing herself to sit on his lap and wrapping her arms around him. She feels a thousand times better when Jungkook is linking his arms around her waist and taking her for a hug, he's leaning his head on her chest, let out a heavy sigh and cry.

 

She hates seeing him cry but this is a thousand times better than him who was pretending like he was fine.

 

“Do you want to hear something that I used to hear back then?”


 

Jungkook is not answering her, he is just hugging her tighter than before, trying so hard to stop crying.

 

“It’s not your fault. He loved you so much.”

 

Back then, Yeri was so desperate to hear this from Jungkook, as a form of support. It was honestly useless if she heard it from anyone else but not from him. A husband.

 

“It doesn’t matter what everyone else said to you. You just need to hear it from me..”

 

She can’t help but feel so frustrated and ended up crying with him, remembering what happened today. Not even one person is trying to be nice to him. 

 

He finally lets her go, looks up to her, still with his teary eyes, his nose is becoming so red from crying, she used her hands to squeeze his cheeks so he’ll stop crying. But it's not working because his tears won't stop so she hugged him again.

At times like this, nothing will go through your brain, if someone told you to stop crying, you'll just feel sadder, if someone told you everything is gonna be ok, you won't believe them at all.

She decided to not say anything and let Jungkook cry as much as he wants, she's caressing his head sometimes to calm him. She's grateful that she's here. She can't imagine if all this happened when she's actually getting married to Heejun and Jungkook needs to deal with this alone. 

 

"Do you want something to drink?"

 

She finally let him go again when he's shaking his head. Refusing her offers.

 

He totally looked like a mess, not in a bad way but in a pitiful way that makes her heart unsettled from watching him. She never saw him like this before, not even when Chaerin's dead or when she divorced him. Never.

 

"It's good that you get hurt over this. That means you still see him as your parent and you are not a horrible son for him."

 

She used both of her hands to wipe his tears. He seems to have completely lost it. Even kids from school where she's working don't look like this when they cried.

 

"My head hurts."

 

He told her that while closing his eyes and trying to stop his tears while leaning his head to the back. His voice is not clear because of his tears.

Of course it is.

 

She stopped talking and kept watching him because she didn't know what to say. She's totally worried about him, because she's been in this situation before and honestly nothing will be good enough to make you feel better after losing a parents. And it is worse for Jungkook because his relationship with his father was a mess, and everyone blamed him for this. If it was her, she'd probably ran away because of all the pains.

 

"He really liked you, my dad."

 

But Jungkook is always stronger than her, it actually makes her feel good when he talks to her first, with a smile, after he stopped crying. He talked about his dad.

 

"I didn't know him that well, but i always like him the best out of your family."

 

"You helped him regarding his business so many times, he adored you."

 

Yeri is not answering him, and Jungkook knows that what he said could've been weird to understand. It does sound like, even for his father Yeri was a tool too.

 

"I didn't mean it that way." 

 

He's trying to correct what he said but Yeri seems not bothered by it.

 

"He was kind to me, that is enough."

 

He fixed Yeri's position on his lap, afraid if she feels tired to hold him because he won't let go of her, but she seems comfortable enough.

 

"You can let me go."

 

But she noticed what he did. He shakes his head immediately because holding her like this is totally making him feel less stressed, knowing that he's not alone and Yeri is a real thing and not his imagination. And she seems to understand, because she takes him for another hug while ruffling his hair softly.

 

"I should've stayed with you all day, scolding all those people who treated you badly."

 

He laughed when she said that. 

 

"I know i shouldn't talk like this about someone who just passed away, but your father wasn't completely innocent either."

 

"We went to his funeral this morning"

 

"I mean.. well.. I saw how he treated you. It wasn't nice.. Of course you acted like a jerk too, but.."

 

Yeri realized that she already got drunk and now the things she said are completely all over the place and the possibility of making Jungkook annoyed because of that was high.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

She ended up covering her face with her hands because she's embarrassed and a little bit confused. Why would she say that about someone who just died, in front of his son?

 

"Your dad was kind to me too. I think I like him better than I like my own."

 

But Jungkook is not angry at all, he talks to her with a smile while holding her back and forcing her to look at him again.

 

"He always told me, not everyone could handle you as a daughter."

 

"I did act like a jerk to my dad too..when i was young.”

 

"He loved you very much."

 

Yeri can't help but feel totally devastated that she finally heard Jungkook say it after a few years. She suffered a lot dealing with her loss and Jungkook was never there for her.

It leads to a huge dent in their marriage and a divorce at the end. She always thought that everything was in the past, that she moved on, but when she finally heard this from him, she knew that she never actually lost hope about this, about staying with Jungkook again when both of them are behaving without looking at each other as enemies.

She's totally lost at words and does nothing but watch Jungkook with tears in her eyes. He seems not surprised that she cried over this.

 

"You are not responsible for what I lost either, not my father, yours, or our baby. Nothing is your fault."

 

"I didn't lose Chaerin because of you either. I'm sorry for making you think that you are the reason."

 

She’s becoming even more devastated when he finally said it. It was hard to linger on a guilty feeling about Chaerin’s death when Jungkook was never trying to lift her burden. She thought that she never needed one, but what she felt right now is telling her otherwise. She actually waited for him to spare her from that guilt. 

 

Yeri can't believe how many things she needs to settle with Jungkook regarding their past relationship. Even talking about this is hard. She spent the rest of her night going through a memory line and talked with him about memories they had with their late father.

 

There are lots of things they talked about. She doesn't even remember how she can finish everything because she ended up falling asleep first and woke up at dawn after Jungkook brought her into her room. He still chose to sleep outside, just like before.

 



***

 

"No wonder my head is hurting so  much."

 

Yeri is walking toward the dining room, when lots of empty cans of beer were scattered on the table. She actually drinks so much more than Jungkook as long as she remembers. 

 

She cleans everything up, compiling all the trash, putting all the leftover food and snacks into the fridge. It takes her 15 minutes to do everything, and she actually feels better when she's done. 

 

She was going to go back to sleep, but seeing Jungkook is out there is not good for her. She never wanted it.

 

"Make room for me.." 

 

She's trying hard to squeeze her tiny body to lay down next to him on a small couch. It is definitely annoying for people who have been here first, for Jungkook. He's groaning and complaining while opening his eyes.

 

"3 AM in the morning."

 

He sounds totally annoyed when he's taking a glance at his watch after he wakes up.

 

"Why are you keep sleeping here?'' 

 

She knows that he feels completely bothered by her right now, so instead of taking his space, she put herself on top of him and demanding an answer.

 

"To watch you, I'm still afraid that you'll run away while I'm sleeping."

 

"Isn't it better to do that if you're staying with me inside?"

 

"I thought you're uncomfortable with that."

 

Jungkook actually has no energy left to do this at dawn. He's out here, sleeping for the past few days because Yeri told him about being scared over what happened to her. He doesn't sleep in another room, because he won't know if Yeri is out from the house in the middle of night.

 

"I am traumatized from being pregnant and losing a kid, i have no problems if you stay with me instead of being here, making your sleep quality decreased."

 

 "I was wrong then."

 

He brings herself closer to him while linking his arms on her waist and close his eyes again.   

 

"Are you going to keep sleeping here?"

 

He's not answering her but judging from how he finally makes room for her to lay down, it is obvious that he's too lazy to do anything. This is far from comfortable, but Yeri thinks it's better for her to stay with him, she doesn't feel good to actually let him do anything alone after today.

 

****

 

Jungkook woke up to his usual alarm, 7AM. He immediately noticed Yeri on his arms, still sleeping and completely not bothered by noises he made. Even when he's making a lot of moves to reach for his phone, she's still unbothered.

His phone is blasting from a call, right after he gets his hand on it. It's Jieun, he was going to ignore it, but he remembers that his father is no longer here, this could be important and she needs his help.

 

"Mr. Jeon."

 

He's not even saying anything yet when Jieun is the one who greets him first.

 

"Mr. Lee wants you to come to the office this morning."

 

He knows Mr. Lee, one of his father's closest friends and also his lawyer, hearing his name is already making him feel nervous.

 

"It's one day after he died."

 

"I know, but your father made a specific request about this."

 

Jungkook is aware that for people like his father who basically live his life surrounded by so much responsibilities, having a will is an obligation, no matter how healthy you are when you wrote one. And even long before he got sick, he already told him about Mr. Lee as the one who is responsible regarding this.

 

"I have no interest."

 

"You have an obligation to hear this, Mr. Jeon."

 

Of course, he is.

 

"What time do I need to be there?"

 

"8 AM. Mr. Lee is already here to prepare everything."

 

"I understand."


 

He ended the phone call right away when he realized that Yeri was finally waking up. He doesn't want her to know about his deal with Jieun earlier, for obvious reason.

 

"Do you need to go somewhere?"

 

But it seems like she managed to listen to a little part of his phone call because she’s aware that he needs to leave the house.

 

"I have another job interview."

 

"You don't need to come, my salary is not much but since i don't need to pay rent for the house, it will be enough to feed you."

 

She talked fast while a little bit giggling but stopped right away to close her eyes and holding her head. She got drunk last night, and it's quite obvious that it will take a toll on her.

 

"I want to go"

 

He helps her to pat her head so, she can feel a little less dizzy, and it's actually worked, because she said thank you to him while slowly opening her eyes again.

 

"Really? I still have one day on my leave.."

 

"I really need to go."

 

He cut her talk quickly, because giving her hope about him staying with her will just make her more disappointed when she knows that he lied to her.

He also gets up from his seat and Yeri is doing nothing but staring at him, confused. He came to her to kiss her forehead before proceeding to prepare for leaving.

 

Yeri hates his life as Jeon Jungkook who's an heir, she hates his family and their marriage when he was rich. He doesn't want her to know about this, afraid if his decision about involving his old life will make her run away again just like before.


 

"You're dressing more formal compared to before."

 

He's a little bit taken aback when Yeri suddenly showed up on the door of the bathroom while he's totally thinking about her. She already changed her pajamas with a plain shirt and long jeans, she put some makeup on her face too.

 

"Where are you going?"

 

He's changing the focus of their talk from him to her in purpose and it's worked, she's coming to him and helping him with his ties as something seems bothering her.

 

"I need to go around, taking care of the cancelled event, returning my gown. And stuff.. I was going to take you, so when they asked why I cancelled everything, I could just show you off and tell them that I found someone else."

 

"No, you won't."

 

He ended up laughing when she did the same thing, Yeri is never that kind of person..because doing it means she's being completely rude to Heejun. She never really does anything hustle except to him or his family. She's so naive and innocent just like how others called her even though he never actually looked at her as one.

 

"I hope you get the job."

 

"Why?"

 

"You're the only person that I know who loves working so much. It almost makes no sense."

 

"You hate that."

 

"I don't. Our marriage ruined not because of that. I love seeing you work too."

 

It's true, Yeri is fully aware about their problem, they talked about this too last night. The marriage simply ruined because of them as a husband and a wife, not because of Jungkook as a workaholic.

 

She was actually ready to hear another argument from Jungkook but he didn't say anything further and was busy with his phone.

 

"I need to go."

 

He's totally in a rush that he didn't even say goodbye before he left. He came back to give her a hug though. Something doesn’t feel right, but she decided to not care about it too much. He just lost his dad and judging from how he reacted last night, it's obvious that he went through so much emotions right now.