CH : 34

AQUIVER

It's like a dream. When Jungkook reached home and everything from what he saw and what he heard was coming back to him, it does feels like a different reality and he hates it.

The thing that makes him so angry is the fact that he doesn't feel bad knowing his dad is sick. He doesn't care. He is still mad at him even after seeing him getting so weak, he still has those angers on him.

It is so wrong. And he feels like a monster because of that. How can a son be acting like this?

That's crazy.

 

He heard a knock on the door of his room while he's trying to close his eyes. He is not responding to it but Yeri opened the door already.

 

"Are you ok?"

 

Yeri's thoughts are getting distracted when her phone she put outside the room is ringing non stop. Jungkook heard it too because he’s looking up to her and told her to pick the call with his eyes.

 

"I'll ignore it." 

 

She said that because she feels bad seeing his face is so tired. 

 

"It could be important."

 

"You are important."

 

"Want me to pick it up for you?"

 

He gets up from his seat and threatens her, so Yeri is running outside to get her phone. Anyone who's calling her and then hearing Jungkook's voice will go crazy. 

 

It's Yein again, she takes a deep breath before picking it up.

 

"Kim Yeri you crazy idiot! I heard you're getting back with Jeon Jungkook, is that true? Answer me!!"

 

"I can't talk right now."

 

Her head is getting dizzy right away, from where Yein knew about this.

But well.. given with what happened at the hospital back then, it's actually only a matter of time for people to know that she is back.

 

"Why can't you? Unnie..try to remember all the things you went through because of him. What our family went through, let's use a healthy and clean mind set and come back home i beg you."

 

Yein's voice is husky, she's already so close to crying and she feels sorry about that.

 

"I am really sorry."

 

"Come back home, if you're sorry! This is not making any sense! Mom will hurt if you do this. Please..unnie.."

 

And she's becoming the one who's crying right now. Her eyes are getting warm and tears are dropping just like that. Jungkook has already been watching her from afar since the beginning and when he finds her crying, he walks to her and grabs her phone.

 

"Yein-ssi!"

 

She was going to take her phone back but she failed because Jungkook held it high above her head.

 

"I beg you..give her back. She is not a toy or a tool you can use and throws away as you please. She is precious to us.."

 

Jungkook can actually guess how much Yeri and her family life ruined after their divorce from what Yein said to him.

He's glancing at Yeri who seems completely annoyed that he stole her phone and crying even harder because of that.

 

"I can't. I'm really sorry."

 

He cuts the phone call just like that and Yeri finally takes her phone back.

 

"What did she say?"

 

"She said she wants you back and I said no."

 

"Good."

 

Yeri is sitting on the table covering her face and trying so hard to stop her tears. Jungkook came to her with a cup of water and he took a seat in front of her.

 

"Sorry."

 

She said sorry to him because she's supposed to be the one who helps him with his troubles and not the other way round.

 

"Why did you come today?"

 

Yeri finally stopped crying and managed to stare at Jungkook who's waiting for her answer. He looked like this every time he's in a bad mood, those eyes, the tone of his talk. Even though it is not necessarily because of what she did, she can see that he is not happy regarding something.

 

"Your family is a mess, but your dad is always kind to me."

 

That is true, Yeri never feels any hatred towards him other than the fact that he stays quiet everytime Jungkook suffers. A father is someone that she lost once, and she still remembers how much it hurts. She just doesn't want any regrets.

 

"Good for you."


 

"What do you mean?"


 

"It is good that you find him kind."

 

Yeri notices something from the way he talks and she can learn right away that Jungkook doesn't have the same feelings for his father like she does. And she doesn't know why she feels upset about that, maybe because she already lost her dad so she became sensitive about this.

She’s kinda aware about their relationship, they're a great team in a professional way, but their relation as a parent and children is already estranged for years. Jungkook spent most of his time studying abroad, working, making money since he was young. But to act like this when your father is sick is not right.

 

"He is your father."

 

She talks in a higher tone and Jungkook is not responding to her, he is just straight looking at her with an empty eyes and smiling at her after a long silent.

 

“I feel like whether he is here or not, live or die..nothing concerns me. I'm such a horrible bastard."


 

Yeri, who was angry because of what he said becoming baffled when Jungkook is calling himself a horrible bastard while crushing a glass that he brings to her with his own hands.

Of course, he gets hurt, and seeing how he's reacting nothing to the pain it shows that he's punishing himself for having that kind of thoughts about his father.

 

She said nothing but staring at his hands, a few drops of blood is flowing from there, and it's getting worse every second. She gets worried because it feels like she's back to her old life again after seeing this.  A life where she means nothing to Jungkook but a tool, a life where their relationship is not working. A life like hell. A life when he keeps getting hurt by others and she didn’t do anything to stop it.

She's a little bit traumatized with him getting hurt because of what happened in the past and when she finds he is trying to leave, she holds his injured hands, and comes to him slowly.

 

Jungkook can finally feel a sting on his hands, when Yeri holds it and wipe his blood with her shirts. She talks to him while holding her tears and he feels bad about it.

 

"You are not a horrible person."

 

"You don’t need to lie"

 

He talks while trying to pull his hand from her because her shirt is all dirty now But she holds it tighter instead.

 

"I mean, you were..are..i don't know, i still need more time before coming to a conclusion.."

 

Jungkook feels a little bit better when Yeri talked to him in a much more comfortable manner, trying to make him feel better with a little laugh and light joke.

 

"But just like you said, people changed. If you can treat me better, why can't you do the same thing for your father?"

 

Yeri is talking very carefully, because she knows it will be hard for anyone to accept this kind of advice. She doesn't know how much suffering Jungkook encountered all his life that he is becoming so distant and estranged from his dad or his family in general. She can't compare his situation with hers when she always showered by affection and love from her family.

 

"For me, he has been dead for a long time.. "

 

Jungkook's tone of talks is so cold and flat. Yeri is actually surprised because he never told her this before. She never knows that his perception of Mr. Jeon is totally bad. She always thought that a rich young man will always have a distant relationship with his busy parents. It's totally natural.

Of course, she knows it's actually worse after she learned about how Mrs. Jeon is not actually his real mom, but Jungkook never showed his hatred to his father often.

 

"I won't be here if i still see him as a father, treating him invincible was the only choice i had.."

 

Yeri is totally surprised when Jungkook looked completely broken, telling her this for the first time since forever. He has tears on his eyes and he's clenching his fist on his tights as he talks. She didn't care about his life when they were married, she only saw what she saw but not what she missed or what Jungkook went through before she met him.

 

"You will totally hate your life, knowing your own father only keeping you as a tool and not a child."

 

He said those words quickly, while getting up from his seat and walking away from her. He went to the bathroom. 

 

She could hear noises, a familiar noise, him looking around his first aid kid. 

 

She's following him with weak steps because she actually gets scared to learn about Jungkook's life again, turns out that the past decade she knows him means almost nothing.

 

"I'll do it."

 

Yeri is standing at the door and offering him help. She's still crying, obviously. And it is enough reason for him to not reject her help. She will just get even more upset that way.

 

"Can you do this? You said people hate doing this kind of labor."

 

He purposely tried to make Yeri feel better, he talked to her while using his uninjured hands to wipe her tears.

 

"I can do everything."

 

She's standing in front of him as she told him to lean his back on the sink. She opens the box and holds his hands respectively, her tears won't stop, she just kept on crying like a little kid. It does look funny but also makes him feel guilty.

 

He watched her closely as she treated his wound with so much care like how she used to do, even though her moves are becoming slower since she's doing it while holding her tears, but she still finished the job perfectly.

 

"It wasn't your fault."

 

"I know, you broke that glass by yourself."

 

Yeri finally able to control her tears as she needs to focus on tying a bandage around Jungkook's hands when he talks to her again. He's trying to find her eyes but she answers it while ignoring his stare.  She's done with the job a few seconds later, and Jungkook is not saying anything, he's just patting her head and saying thank you as he walks away. 

 

"I mean, it wasn't your fault if you think that I should feel bad that my father gets sick."

 

She's totally taken aback when he stopped his walk and talked to her again. He doesn't seem certain with what he just said but still manages to give her a smile before continuing to walk away from her.

 

****

 

Jungkook is staring at his wounded hands, and it is weird that he's able to finally feel the pain when the treatment is done.

He's just going to take some pain killer and sleep, before thinking about his problem again when Yeri is suddenly blocking his way. She stands in front of him while bringing herself closer to him and hugging him. She's wrapping her hands around her shoulder while tip toeing and resting her chin on his shoulder. She's sighing before patting his back.

 

"You did good."

 

She said those words softly, and it really works better than a pain killer for him. He's hugging her back and Yeri moves her hands from his shoulder to his head, patting it like he is a kid.

 

"I'm sorry I didn't know."

 

"I was hiding it from you. I was afraid that you would hate me because my family is so messed up..and i am someone who hates his own parents.."

 

Yeri is letting go of him and laughing at him, because she actually knows.

 

"I know they messed up. I mean, I watched you fight with your brother at a family dinner, the first time I met them."

 

Jungkook is not responding to what she said, so she's caressing his cheeks and bringing his eyes straight to her before she's talking again.

 

"I didn't know that the mess they created hurting you so much."

 

He's still not saying anything but holding her hands and makes her stop from touching him.

 

"You did good for not seeing them as your family so you can live."

 

"It wasn't good."

 

"It was. “

 

“I didn’t do anything good.”

 

“Even if you didn’t. I’ll always support you. I’m good at doing that.”

 

“Do you think I should come again? With a better perception of him..”

 

She’s smiling so wide hearing that, so she nods her head fast because that would be great. 

 




 

Jungkook is already trying so hard to not make any noises, when Jieun told him that he can visit his father again at dawn. She managed to receive permission from his doctor and Mrs. Jeon won’t be there around that time. 

 

Yeri is still asleep, on his bed after she’s working on something regarding her teaching job. His plan is to go without her and come back before she realized that he was gone. But everything is ruined when she suddenly wakes up and he gets caught.

 

“It won’t be good if she sees you again.”

 

She is totally upset about his plan and now she’s begging him to take her. He is really concerned about Yeri’s well being, his family is never good for her. He knows her condition is still not strong enough to deal with them again.

 

“I’ll be fine.”

 

“I saw you earlier today, you were so afraid of her, you can’t hide from me.”

 

“Then having you protecting me is enough!”

 

Honestly, Jungkook is very aware about why Yeri acts like this. Her father died without seeing her for the last time because she has something to do, an obligation as his wife. She begged him to see her father, but he said everything is gonna be ok, and she will have her chance to see him the next day. It was probably one of the most selfish things he did to her and that mistake cost them so much pain. Their marriage which already had problems because of Chaerin’s death was completely destroyed by that. 

 

“Alright, let’s go.”

 

She changed her clothes very quickly, as soon as she received a go from him.

 

****

 

They reached the hospital at 4AM. Jieun gave Jungkook a contact of one nurse who will help him for the visit. Yeri is with him, walking with him, holding his hands really tight like a kid. He’s stealing a few glances at her as they walked and he is aware she is still scared to actually deal with this again. He makes her stop before they reach the VIP room. She seems lost with the sudden stop, she’s looking at him confused, her eyes are completely empty.

 

“If things go wrong, you need to listen to me. If i told you to leave, then you will leave, if i told you to not involve yourself..”

 

“I will be fine.”

 

She’s trying to ignore what he said and dragging his hands to continue their walk but he manages to stop her again with a little force.

 

“I’m serious.”

 

Yeri can not help but feel totally uncomfortable that Jungkook treating her like this. He’s becoming too controlling and overprotective of her. 

 

Jieun said, No one would be here at this time.. But with Jungkook acting like this, she’s becoming even more worried, afraid if something bad will happen.

 

She’s avoiding his eyes when he demands her to answer what he said. Intimidating and totally serious.

 

“But if i sees you getting harassed, I won’t leave. “

 

She purposefully talks with a higher tone to Jungkook, so he will know that it’s not just her who needs to get controlled but him too. 

 

“If you were to get abused, kicked, or punched. Do it on my watch.”

 

He seems taken aback with what she just said, he’s tilting his head but finally holds her hands again to take her walk with him.

 

“You sound like a gangster.”

 

That’s what he said before they finally reached the hallway near Mr. Jeon’s ward room. One nurse is waiting for Jungkook. Jieun is right, no one is here, the hallway is completely empty compared to what she saw this morning. 

 

“The security staff will be back in half an hour after changing shifts. So you have that much time. Mr. Jeon is already better, he can speak now, and I already told him that you’re coming so he’s waiting for you.”

 

Yeri is pushing Jungkook’s back, so he can get in faster because 30 minutes is a short time. He seems hesitant at first.

 

“Can she join? She’s my wife.”

 

“30 minutes.”

 

Both of them are coming inside after receiving permission from the nurse, Yeri doesn’t even know why Jungkook wants her to be here, when it will be more comfortable if he has his own times with his father. 

 

***

 

“Oh, Yeri-ya?”

 

Mr. Jeon’s voice is very weak but she can still sense the excitement from it. He does look better compared to what Jieun told her a few days ago. He can talk and he can also move a little bit. His eyes are bright, but tired.

 

“Father, long time no see.”

 

She’s walking to him and holding his hands slowly, caressing it to make him feel reassured that everything is gonna be ok.

 

“Thank you for coming.”

 

His voice is getting weaker, so Yeri is not answering him but give him a smile so he doesn’t need to talk to her again. She takes a few steps back and told Jungkook to sit in a chair next to his father’s bed.

She’s been in this situation before, even though Mr. Jeon looks like he is fine, and better. She is aware that anything could happen. It is better for Jungkook to spend time with him as much as he can, unlike her who failed to do that.

 

“Are you feeling ok?”

 

Jungkook’s voice comes out as weak too. She watched him fixing a few equipment around Mr. Jeon’s hands and no matter how much he told her about how bad he is as a son, she can see that he still has affections for his father.

 

“I heard you got hit again this morning.”

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“On the head?”

 

Mr. Jeon is reaching for Jungkook’s head in a very slow movement. He’s caressing it when he is finally able to touch it, with a smile. Yeri’s been spending so many times watching them, and interactions they have is never more than just business talking or professional pretending. So to actually see this when no one else around is actually hurt for her. They could have all of this before one of them got sick but why..

 

“I’m really sorry”

 

Mr. Jeon is holding Jungkook’s hands tight while trying to get up from his bed. He looked very weak and Yeri was a little bit worried but also relieved when he managed to do it. 

 

“I know it will be hard for you to understand everything i did to you, because i also don’t understand why i treated you like that.”

 

Yeri actually feels better knowing Mr. Jeon is able to speak clearly in a long sentence, that means his condition is not actually bad.

 

“Are you still mad at me?”

 

She changed her focus from Mr. Jeon to Jungkook who was actually tearing up. She can see clearly that he’s trying hard to stay calm when his heart is probably hurting too, and maybe tired. 

 

“I am mad at everyone. At you, and Yeri too.”

 

Jungkook is laughing while he’s talking to Mr. Jeon. It sounds great, the sound of his laugh, a little bit forced and awkward but seeing that his father is smiling after watching him, Yeri knows that it’s not just her who loves seeing his laugh.

 

“But I'm over it now.”

 

“Being close to death is really making me think. I started to realize how useless I was as  a father ..”

 

“Dad.”

 

Yeri can’t believe what she heard, it feels like forever since the last time she heard Jungkook calling Mr. Jeon with that. He always called him formally, or sometimes just called him with his title. 

 

“You were bad at treating me but not others. I’m just one person, and there are so many people out there who probably have their life now thanks to you.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Of course. There are Jooyoung, your wife, Yeri..or that 100 employess who got fired by me but you take everyone back and get them their job again.”

 

Yeri heard this story, it was long before she met Jungkook, probably when he was still coming back and forth for his study and his work. There was one branch office, in a remote place, where all the employees basically can not do their job right. The perfectionist and controlling Jungkook can not accept flaws like that, he told everyone to stop coming to work one day without any notice. He fired them, all at once and has plans to replace the employees with people he brought from other places.

 

“One of them is getting us a huge deal last year.”

 

“Exactly. You made those people live their happy life, you aren’t half as bad as me, who fired them without caring about their family or kids.”

 

Honestly, Yeri just wanted to hug Jungkook and say thank you to him for doing this, this whole thing. He seems so genuine and caring and perfectly nice on treating his father.

 

“I forgave Yeri who is a stranger to me, how can I not forgive you when you are my father?”

 

“Right, Mr. Jeon, I treated him very badly too. You don’t need to feel sorry about it.”

 

Yeri is just saying it because Mr. Jeon is sick. Fact is, what he did to Jungkook as his only parents is totally horrible. Of course, there were times when Yeri understood why he acted like that, but most of the time she just thinks that he is a very bad father.

 

“I feel better now.”

 

Yeri is giving him a smile when she heard a knock on the door and the nurse told them that 30 minutes is almost over, Mr. Jeon needs rest, and the people who work for his wife will be here soon. Jungkook noticed it too after she told him.

 

“We need to go, Dad. I’ll see you again this morning, you need to rest.”

 

Jungkook is fixing Mr. Jeon’s position and giving him a pat on his shoulder, as he’s trying to leave. Yeri is getting out first after waving her hands lightly to Mr. Jeon and he’s replying to it with a smile. She watched Jungkook who gave his father a quick hug before he left and following her out. They were told to go immediately, because the nurse will get scolded really badly if someone ever finds out about this.

 

“Thank you very much. I’ll come again this morning, visit hours.”

 

Jungkook is bowing his head and they finally leave the hallway. He has so many things on his mind but mostly relieved when he actually able to let go of whatever he has for his father after seeing him in so much pain. 

 

“Are you ok?”

 

He turns his face to Yeri when they ride the elevator together and she talks to him. It’s such an overwhelming feeling that he failed to answer her but gave her a hug instead. She uses her tiny hands to pat her head and he can hear her giggles. She sounds happy.

 

“You were incredible.”

 

She told him that before giving him a kiss and dragging him out when they finally reached the lobby.

 

“I’ll stay here to see him again this morning.”

 

Jungkook let go of her hands, told her to get on a taxi by herself because he wanted to stay. 

 

“Then I'll wait with you.”

 

“Everyone will be here later.”

 

“I know, I can just leave before they get here, around 6 or 7 am? “

 

He knows that Yeri is aware he doesn’t like that idea so she holds his hands tighter and tries to appeal with her eyes.

 

“Please, i’ll just watch you till you eat something then i’ll leave.”

 

“I’m not hungry.”

 

“You haven't eaten anything since yesterday, you didn’t even eat breakfast i made for you.”

 

Jungkook knows that Yeri was saying it to make him feel guilty so he will let her do what she wanted, and it is worked. He can not win against this Yeri, besides having her around will probably help him right now.