CH : 1

AQUIVER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeri is leaning her back on the wall in front of Jungkook while watching him taking off his shoes. If it wasn't for the phone call from earlier, she won't be here doing useless things.
 

"I need to talk about something."

 

"About what?"

 

He looked surprised because they rarely talk to each other specifically about something. She doesn't even remember the last time she's waiting for him to get back from work like this. They've been living their own life without caring about each other existence for almost 2 years.

 

"My mom wanted to know if you could join us for the wedding.."

 

Yeri stopped her words when Jungkook finally lifted his face to her. He looked tired and his eyes are staring her for quite a long time before he's using his phone and typing something into it.

 

"I can tell her that you're busy, don't feel pressured to do anything"

 

What she said is coming out as rude and she knows it, so does Jungkook, he gives her a smirk while putting his phone back to his pocket.

 

"I'll send some gifts."

 

"No, don't, spend your money for something else, not for me or my family."

 

Jungkook is getting up from his seat and he certainly not happy with what she just said. He's walking closer to her and something from his eyes telling her to stop bothers him.

 

"What is so wrong from spending money on my wife? Everyone else is doing that."

 

He's walking passed by her and entering the bathroom right away, not waiting for her response.

 

She takes a deep breath and walking back to her room, close its door and lock it like how she usually doing it.

 

***

 

Yeri was having one of the worst nights ever when she realized that her head is heavy because she can not sleep at all last night, she stares at her alarm clock, 6 AM. It's her time to start her day as usual. She takes a quick shower and getting ready for it.

 

She stopped her walk in front of the guest room which becoming Jungkook's room for the past 2 years, he usually locked his door too, but not last night, he let it open or maybe he forget to do that. She still remembers the time when this view used to be the first thing she saw after waking up.

The window , the view, Jungkook, everything feels so different right now. 

 

She change her gaze to Jungkook who's still sleeping soundly on his bed with a messy hair and wearing only his training pants. He never used his shirt when he's sleeping a habit since he was young.

 

"I don't like people come to my room without my permission."

 

He's start talking and his soaring voice is enough to make her feel a chill right away. She get caught.

 

"What do you want for breakfast?" 

 

She hides her nervousness with a rude question . She's trying hard to not get intimidated by him and his complaint.

 

"You never asked."

 

He is right. She's always preparing breakfast according to what she wanted, Jungkook is not a picky eater, so it's easy for her to do that. He rarely talk about what he dislikes , he rarely talk about anything to her anymore.

 

"Fine."

 

She's watching him getting up and decide walking behind him while he find his way to the bathroom, the guest room don't have one, so he needs to go out to use it.

And that's it, that's the only conversation she has with him until he takes a seat in front of her for breakfast.
 

Yeri is staring at Jungkook who's busy with his phone, the last night talk is bad and she still need his answer about attending the wedding.

She takes the invitation card and put it on the table so he can see it.

 

"What is this?"

 

"The wedding invitation. I don't care if you're going to be there or not but at least I already informed you."

 

"Why?"

 

"My mom said you're a family.."

 

Yeri take her plate and up from her seat very quickly, she can see Jungkook with corner of her eye flipping the invitation card, he looks serious.

 

"I'll check my schedule."

 

There's a relieve which she can feel when Jungkook said that. She's thankful of course, because the hardest thing from this whole mess is her family who’s still see him as a family, her mother and sister who's still see him as a shelter, even after what had happened for the past few years, their perception of him still not changing.

 

"You need to attend an event tonight, I'll email you the detail."

 

This is also part of her life, attending events in place of him. It's usually about brand launching, charity event or similar stuff, and of course she's coming as a wife, nobody except her mother and sister knows about the messy life they've been living for the past few years. 

 

They're perfect in front of others, what they are doing right now is protecting a wrecked ship, for more people to start getting into it and taking all the benefit. 

 

"I understand."

 

And that's the last words they said to each other for the rest of the day. 

Communication usually went through formal email, no messages or interaction whatsoever, phone call if emergency occurs and that's it.

 

***

 

"Oh? Mrs. Jeon, welcome!"

 

"Good morning."

 

Yeri is nodding her head when a bunch of young girl came to her and greeting her with a really wide smile.

 

"What's the occasion?"

 

Yeri taking out a paper from her bag, it's a print out of Jungkook's email, she gives it to one of the staff right away.

 

"Is it a formal event?"

 

"I think so."

 

"It's quite sudden"

 

"Yeah, sorry i was informed last minute too."

 

"I'll try to find something, you can wait here."

 

Yeri knows how to do this, looking around for suitable outfit, fitting, being styled and attending the event. She's getting used to it, so nothing is actually hard.

 

She’s sending messages to her mom about this morning conversation she had with Jungkook, about him attending the wedding. She stopped middle-way when someone is touching her knee, she's glancing to it and there's a small hand holding her really tight.

 

"I'm really sorry."

 

A young woman in her 20s is coming to her and picking up a 3 years old kid who's standing in front of her quickly. She gives her a smile when the little kid is crying.

 

"It's ok, he probably likes my bag." 

 

Yeri's handbag has a plushie keychain on it, very childish but also cute and looked like the boy from earlier is playing with it.

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah. Are you working here?"

 

She made a room for the mom and her kid to sitting close next to her. 

 

"No, My sister is getting married and i'm here to pick a gown."

 

"Oh, I see. How old is he?"

 

"4 i think."

 

Yeri is quite surprised when she seems not sure about her kid age. How can that possible? she's rolling her eyes and seems like the mom noticed it too.

 

"Oh, he is not my kid, he is my sister's who's getting married, he needs to pick a suit too."

 

"I understand, sorry."

 

"My sister had him when she's barely 20 years old.."

 

Yeri doesn't feel good listening to this story, so she focused her eyes to something else instead of the kid.

 

"She got married young, and divorced her husband a year later, this is her second marriage."

 

"It's ok, you don't need to explain anything."

 

"No, it's not a shame, she's happy right now, so much happier than her first one, being a divorcee is not a bad thing."

 

Yeri can see that the young woman is slightly offended and attacking her with her words. Lucky for her, one of the staff is back with a glamorous dark blue dress on her hands.

 

"I think this is good and suitable, Mrs. Jeon."

 

She gets up really quick while taking the dress harshly. Her mood is becoming ugly because of the conversation from earlier.

 

 



at one time...

"I want to leave alone!"

 

Yeri is screaming from her room with so much tears on her eyes, she already tired with everything. It's torturing her in such a horrible way.

 

She takes her suitcase after packing few of her clothes, only to see Jungkook standing in front of her door, she knows he's angry too, but there's no other way than this. Than a separation.

 

"We're changed. I'm not someone from 5 years ago who's willing to be with you and accept you with a smile all the time. I am tired.

 

Jungkook is not saying anything, he's still wearing his suit and she knows he's been out with his friends all night. Doing whatever to avoiding her. He's been doing it for months and she already lost hope for him to stop.

 

"And you're not Jeon Jungkook who i loved anymore. You're definitely not."

 

"Can we talk about this tomorrow?"

 

"No, we're running out of time and chance."

 

"I'll talk to you tomorrow about everything, i'll explain it. If you still want to leave after that, then it's your choice, I won't stop you."



 

The talk was never happened, the explanation was not given, and she never asked to leave anymore, she never packed her bags and trying to run away anymore. 

She's just stuck with living her suffocating life for the next 2 years until today.

 

"How was it Mrs. Jeon? You looked gorgeous."

 

"It's pretty." 

 

Her cheeks felt warm when few drops of her tears touching it. That's why she's angry with what the woman said. It reminds her to her past.

 

"Yeri-ssi? Are you ok?"

 

She wipes her tears quick and give everyone a smile.

 

"Yeah, I'll take this one. My husband will pay for it, send the bill to him as usual."

 

"I understand."

 

"You must be happy with the way Mr. Jeon spoiling you all the time. "

 

Yeri is doing nothing but faking her smile and changing her clothes with help from everyone.

 

***

 

"Mr. Jeon, I'll be reviewing your schedule."

 

"Go ahead."

 

Jungkook is quite busy all day and it's draining his energy so much.

 

"You will attend the charity event tonight, at Hudd Hotel, 9 PM."

 

"No, I have a meeting, Yeri will attend that one."

 

"The meeting was canceled, Sir and i already confirm your attendance."

 

It's really annoying, he already told Yeri about this and she'll be there surely. Attending together is not a good choice for both of them, since they need to act and pretend like their marriage life is perfect, it's exhausting.

 

"Why don't you discuss with me first?"

 

"You told me that this event is your second priority after the meeting, Mr. Jeon."

 

He did.

 

"Do you want me to call your wife and prepared your suit according to her pick? she's good at it."

 

Yeah, she did. She came out as a perfect housewives in front of others. With how limited their appearance together, Yeri could always do something that makes everyone amazed. 

People will talk about them when they showed up together, Of course everything will be fine if all of this happened when they were actually having a life together, where they don't have to pretend or act.

 

"Can you call her for me, i'll talk to her."

 

"Right away, sir!"

 

Jungkook wait on his desk for quite some time until her secretary is back to his room.

 

"I can not reach her."

 

"Alright."

 

He's glancing to his watch and it's already 5PM, 2 hours before the event. He needs to show up for the sake of his reputation. Meeting Yeri there will become his least of problem compared to backlash he will receive from his colleagues for not attending the event. He takes his bag and decide to go straight to the venue.

 

"I'll be with you when the event started, Mr. Jeon."

 

"Fine."

 

Her secretary deliver him some proposal before he rides the elevator with heavy heart.

 

***

 

"What do you want for your hair?"

 

"A simple bun will do. It's a charity event, i want to keep things simple."

 

Yeri is flipping a few pages of magazine while talking to her hairdresser. When she started this life, her opinion don't matter much regarding her styling, but it's different now. She can do whatever she wanted.

 

"Your dress doesn't looked simple at all." 

 

The hairdresser is pointing out her dress which is hanging next to her while leaving a sarcastic remark.

 

"It's fine."

 

"You will looked good with that anyway."

 

"Jungkook-ssi will be there?"

 

Yeri put the magazine down when she asked about him.

 

"No, it's just me this time."

 

"What a shame, you looked good together."

 

Yeri spent an hour for makeup and hairstyling, she changed her clothes too. She decide to drive by herself rather than asking or borrowing a driver from Jungkook's office. It will be more efficient this way.

***


 

The venue is a luxurious building, specifically a ballroom, huge and looked like the guests are a lot. She can recognize a few people when she first showed up at the entrance, few of Jungkook's colleagues with their wife, jetsetters and celebrities. Seeing them like this, somehow making her feel nostalgic.

 

"Welcome, Mrs. Jeon"

 

"Miss Lee, good evening. You know I don't like being called that, i have my own name."

 

"Right, Yeri-ssi, I'm sorry."

 

Lee Jieun is Jungkook's secretary, she's also the one who always makes her feel better when she needs to spend time with Jungkook, she's like a friend.

 

"Why are you here?"

 

"Working."

 

Yeri is giving her a confused stare, she won't be here if Jungkook is not here, then why?

 

"Exactly. Why?"

 

"Ah! Mr. Jeon will be attending too."

 

"No, he's not."

 

"He is. The meeting was cancelled."

 

Nightmare. Jungkook being here means pretending and acting is something she has to do for the rest of the night.

 

"He's texting me. He's already inside, come on."

 

Jieun offering her hands to Yeri and she takes it with so much hesitation. She wants to run away but it will makes Jieun suspicious, just like everybody else, Jieun also think that her life with Jungkook is perfect without any taint.

 

"Over there."

 

She can see Jungkook is standing in one corner surrounded by few people she doesn't recognized, media outlet is also here pointing their camera to the stage and most of the guests.

 

"I'll join him when the lights turn off."

 

"Why?"

 

"It's more comfortable that way."

 

Jieun and Yeri waiting for a few more minutes until the lights dim. They walked to Jungkook's direction slowly, and nodding their head to few peoples who greets them.

 

"Mr. Jeon, we're here."

 

Jieun pull a chair for Yeri to seat, and Jungkook is finally lifted his face to her. He looked annoyed too when he realized that they need to work extra hard for tonight.

 

"I'll stand over there, enjoy."

 

Jungkook is taking her by the hand when Jieun left, and that means tonight's work is officially starting.

 

"Welcome, Mrs. Jeon."

 

"Thank you."

 

A middle aged man is greeting her slowly and give her a quick bow. It makes her feel uncomfortable when people who are so much older than her doing this only because of her status, she's still 26 years old and basically so much younger than most of the guests.

 

"You're so beautiful."

 

Another one is coming to her, a woman around her age, She doesn't know her so she just give a quick smile as her respond.

 

"What's wrong with your phone?"

 

Yeri is staring at Jungkook's hands on hers, he talked but his eyes are focusing to a performance on stage.

 

"I left it at home."

 

"Jieun tried to call you all day."

 

Yeri is not responding his complaint when the light is back on and the stage performance finished, everyone is clapping their hands so does her. It only takes a few seconds before people start to notice her existence, and photographer takes her pictures immediately. She's able to strike some pose with Jungkook next to her, making everyone in awe and happy.

 

Jieun come to them after and informing them about having a private dinner in separate room.

 

"According to your wish, Mr. Jeon."

 

Yeri is quite surprised when there is nobody in that room, only one dining table with lots of food on it. Jieun is smiling like she thought Jungkook did this to please her. She closed the door and left after a bow.

 

"You can stay here for awhile, I'll tell everyone that you're sick and you can leave right away, there's a door on the back."

 

"One million."

 

"What?"

 

"I bought this dress for one million, you paid for it, don't you want me to brag about it outside?"

 

Jungkook is quite surprised when Yeri unusually testing him about this. She always happy when he decides to let her go at a time like this but why now?

 

"I don't have time for this."

 

"Right, you always have time for anything else but this."

 

"What does that even mean?"

 

"I'll leave in 15 minutes. Don't worry."

 

She opens the door for him while avoiding his stare. Yeri knows this behaviour is odd, she already lost interest with Jungkook and her problem with him since a long time ago, but the conversation she had today at the boutique is quite bothering her, so she came to this state.

 

"Don't do anything stupid and don't say anything stupid, people can heard you here."

 

"I should've just left when i had a chance."

 

Jungkook is totally pissed off now that he hit the door until it's closed again. Loud noise was heard from that.

 

"Do you have something to tell me?"

 

" nothing"

 

" really?"

 

Yeri is nervous to actually trying to talk about this with Jungkook again, it's been 2 years since that day. Since she already lost hope to have the old Jungkook back as her husband.

 

"I'm tired. Can't you let me go?"

 

"You can go home right away. You can rest."

 

"No, i mean can you let me go? can't i be Kim Yeri again and not your wife anymore? Can i live my life without you like how it was before?"

 

Yeri use her hands to wipe her tears which suddenly come out from nowhere. He looked taken aback because this is actually the first time for them to talk about this again after such a long time.

 

"Let's talk about this later."

 

"No, we won't talk about this if it’s not right now. We'll just act and pretend like we don't need to fix this. I already falling out love from you, i'm tired of you and it's obvious you feel the same way too, so why are we keep doing this? Being alone is not a bad thing. I'm sure we can get happier than right now."

 

Jungkook is walking away from her and taking a seat in front of the dining table while looking down.

 

" It's true that i already lost every affection i had for you, but you know that I have everything to lose if you left."

 

He's studying Yeri's expression when she's walking closer to him and laugh at him sarcastically.

 

"That's so stupid. I'll pay for it, I'll pay for the damage from our divorce, you can just say that i'm having an affair with someone else and you can get sympathy from everyone. I won't mind.. You're just doing this because of my father, right?

 

"I.."

 

"He is dead, Jungkook-ssi!"

 

"But not the rest of the world, What do you want me to say to them? I swear for my life that i'll protect you and your family forever."

 

"You were young, you were stupid, you'll swear on anything only to have me living with you  and us getting married, everyone knows that!"

 

"Shut up!"

 

"I admit that your family and its fortune is saving mine. What i did was selling myself to you so i can get money in return, i was just blindly using love as justification for what I did."

 

Jungkook is not happy with everything she said and he grabbed her hands harshly, while pulling her away from blocking the door.

 

"We both know it's not true."

 

He's out from the room after saying that, and it really is tiresome for Yeri to deal with this again. Jungkook is right, that is not true.

 




Thanks for reading